The Official Rugby Thread

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Due to the incessant plea's:-)o:D) for a rugby thread and for the countless closet fans i have taken it upon myself to open a rugby thread for Internationals ...and club rugby finals

Enjoy;)

for those not familiar with the game here is a short run-down of the basics of the game :fans-guide-to-rugby

Todays results (sadly:()

All Blacks draw first blood

Auckland - The All Blacks exacted revenge for last year's humiliation by the Springboks when they ignited this year's Tri-Nations series with a 32-12 victory over the defending champions.

In a high-tempo clash between the world's top two rugby sides, the All Blacks claimed a bonus point as they scored four unanswered tries.

A year after relinquishing their Tri-Nations crown when they were trounced in all three Tests against South Africa, the All Blacks bounced back with determination as they extended their unbeaten run at Eden Park to 21 Tests.

They out-ran the Springboks in the backs and out-muscled them up front, including the rare sight of the South African pack being back-pedaled at scrum time and driven back 25-metres at a line out late in the match.

The Springboks, who have not beaten the All Blacks in Auckland for 53 years, struggled to match the pace of the All Blacks and were forced to rely on four penalties from the boot of Morne Steyn for their points.

The All Blacks looked to run the ball at every opportunity, which included Richie McCaw leading a counter-attack from his own goal line, and stretched the Springboks' defense until it snapped.

At half-time they led 20-3, forcing the Springboks to revert to their more traditional kick-for-position play after the break to earn territory from which Steyn landed penalties but were never able to cross the All Blacks' line.

Springboks lock Bakkies Botha made himself enemy number one for the All Blacks when he was seen to deliver a flying head butt to Jimmy Cowan from behind in the opening play of the game.

Although it was caught on television and the big screen at the ground, it went undetected by the match officials.

However, the tough Springbok lock only lasted until the 12th minute before he was yellow carded for an intentional foul.

South Africa were ahead 3-0 from a Steyn penalty when Botha left the field and when he returned the All Blacks were up 10-3 from a Dan Carter penalty and a converted try to Conrad Smith, who finished off a Mils Muliaina break.

Carter stretched the lead to 13-3 when the All Blacks won a scrum penalty in the first set piece after Botha came back on, before Ma'a Nonu started and finished the second first-half try.

Nonu was able to regather his own chip kick, fed Joe Rokocoko who took play up to the Springboks' line and Nonu was on hand to finish off the move.

After two more Steyn penalties saw the Springboks close the gap to 20-9, the All Blacks scored their third try when Kieran Read, running from depth to take rucked ball, broke through four tackles to score.

Steyn landed his fourth penalty before All Blacks prop Tony Woodcock scored the bonus-point try on fulltime.

New Zealand - Tries: Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Kieran Read, Tony Woodcock; Conversions: Daniel Carter (3); Penalties: Carter (2).

South Africa - Penalties: Morne Steyn (4).

will post the highlights soon enough

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I'm sorry. But that is quite hilarious. "I'm also opening it because South Africa are the best"

First post. "All Blacks draw first blood. New Zealand have beaten South Africa in the first Tri-Nations game"

:D

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Haters ....:D ....but technically we are The World Champions and Tri-Nation Champs.....today was just a slight case of jet lag....Excuses aside they were the beter team...highlight of the match...northeners complaining cause they suck balls....

For Kuja ;)

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Andriy Shevchenko, and Filippo Inzaghi
The All Blacks are the best :D Btw is anyone coming down to NZ for the rugby WC?

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Anyone knows a stream where I can watch Tri-Nations? I couldn't find it for today's game.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I found this link already when I was searching but I couldn't watch either way.

Haka is the shit!

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I found this link already when I was searching but I couldn't watch either way.

Haka is the shit!

I personally like our original haka Ka Mate. But that ones still pretty cool

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I personally like our original haka Ka Mate. But that ones still pretty cool

The original Haka is my ringtone for 2 years. Never changed it and probably never will.

Will they ever back to the original or they'll keep changing it? And are there that many "war songs" or some of them they just make it based on this language or whatever it is?

And based on the video seems like the All Blacks really crashed the Springboks without giving a little chance.

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The original Haka is my ringtone for 2 years. Never changed it and probably never will.

Will they ever back to the original or they'll keep changing it? And are there that many "war songs" or some of them they just make it based on this language or whatever it is?

And based on the video seems like the All Blacks really crashed the Springboks without giving a little chance.

Hahaha cool Yeah they use the original all the time (Ka Mate) they just use that one last night (Kapa o pango) on special occasions

Last edited:

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So far i've only heard two ....the one they did today was okay like the other much better

The first time they did the Kapa o pango was awesome they toned it down a bit now tho

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
rofl.

Egg Chasing sucks balls.

Made me chuckle.
I hate it too. Used to like playing it though, only because it's probably the only time where your actually allowed to completely cripple someone. It's MUCH better than American football aswell :o

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
rugby thread ....RWC ...2011...:rolleyes:

Oh dear :tongue:

Though to be fair, no one gives a shit about the RWC, so it's no suprise I didn't think of it ;)

edit:

Though I do like Warrington Wolves :cool:

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

What's wrong with the mighty Warrington Wolves? Bet you've never even heard of them ;)

Rugby is mostly supported by those who don't like football. In other words, the pleb's of this world.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What's wrong with the mighty Warrington Wolves? Bet you've never even heard of them ;)

Rugby is mostly supported by those who don't like football. In other words, the pleb's of this world.

I rather be a pleb than a lord. A pleb can work to reach something good. A lord is an asshole because chosed to be an asshole.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Bring the wolve's to the southern hemisphere....:o ....pretty much counts for most northen teams...Well can't say i disagree with you there ...although it's easier to support when your country beats the shit out of most.....

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bring the wolve's to the southern hemisphere....:o ....pretty much counts for most northen teams...Well can't say i disagree with you there ...although it's easier to support when your country beats the shit out of most.....

But Warington Wolves has the best fans :o

And the most imtimidating:

:o

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Please our rugby schools wipe the floor ...:o

....our school is six time world champs in drum majorettes ....and if that counted aswell ...even more ass kicking

are you suggesting that you are a fan of rugby?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Please our rugby schools wipe the floor ...:o

....our school is six time world champs in drum majorettes ....and if that counted aswell ...even more ass kicking

are you suggesting that you are a fan of rugby?

The mighty pack of Wolves isn't a school, it's a team in the rugby league :o

We won the challenge cup last season :proud:

Not only that, but we recently won the league title for the 3rd time. In 1954-55 to be exact :proud:

As for whether or not I'm a fan of the thing in general, I detest the male groping sport. However I have been to 3 Warrington Wolves matches and have a signed leather egg, also known as a rugby ball, somewhere amongst the cobwebs of my garage.

images

:star:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
.....but you played....bad exp?

Only in PE lessons or in the break times, though I played 2 or 3 times for my school team aswell.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
NZ bake Boks in Cake Tin

New Zealand secured their second successive bonus point win in the 2010 Tri-Nations with a 31-17 victory over South Africa on Saturday.

Ma'a Nonu, Mils Muliaina, Rene Ranger and Israel Dagg all scored tries for the All Blacks, while flyhalf Daniel Carter, who had a poor
goalkicking performance in missing five attempts at goal, slotted two penalties and a conversion.

Piri Weepu also added a penalty for the home side, who had beaten the Springboks 32-12 in Auckland last week.

Danie Rossouw and Schalk Burger scored tries for the world champions, while Morne Steyn added a penalty and two conversions.

The Springboks, who had Bakkies Botha sinbinned early last week, again fell foul of the referee, with Rossouw shown a yellow card in the fourth minute for kicking All Blacks' captain Richie McCaw.

The New Zealanders took advantage of their extra man, with Nonu and Muliaina finishing off sweeping moves that had begun inside their own half.

Carter, who had missed an early penalty, missed both conversions and the All Blacks had to settle for a 10-0 lead while Rossouw was off the field.

The flyhalf slotted his first successful penalty in the 31st minute before Rossouw barged over in the 37th minute after the Springboks had got field position from a penalty against Ranger for not using his arms in a tackle.

Steyn converted to make it 13-7, while Carter missed another penalty attempt into the swirling southerly wind in the final seconds before halftime.

The Springboks flyhalf added an early penalty in the second half but Ranger managed to dot down in the corner after a long pass from Muliaina to give the All Blacks an 18-10 lead.

Weepu, who temporarily replaced Carter as goalkicker, slotted a long-range penalty to extend the lead, before the All Blacks were forced to soak up immense goal line pressure from the Springboks.

Dagg then produced a mercurial run down the left touchline, turning four defenders inside out to score his first test try and Carter finally found his kicking boots, slotting the conversion and adding a penalty.

Burger added a consolation try for the Springboks late in the game, with Steyn converting to end the scoring.

Scorers:

New Zealand:
Tries: Nonu, Muliaina, Ranger, Dagg
Penalties: Carter 2, Weepu
Conversions: Carter

South Africa:
Tries: Rossouw, Burger
Conversions: Steyn 2
Penalties: Steyn
:(

Just BTW:o
Rolland: Bok 'wrecker'

Cape Town – Alain Rolland is the latest referee to find himself public enemy No 1 in the eyes of the South African rugby public and commentators.

Make no mistake, New Zealand were good value for their second thumping of South Africa on the trot in the Vodacom Tri-Nations at Wellington on Saturday.

This time the margin of victory was 14 points, rather than last week’s 20, so it remained worryingly clear-cut.

But the Boks were better at the soggy Westpac Stadium, if that is any comfort -- and their task was not helped at all by Rolland’s all too clearly jaundiced showing in favour of the home side.

Perhaps the very dubious “legend” of Bakkies Botha means John Smit’s side are going to suffer for a while, whether consciously or not, at the hands of some whistle-men tarring the rest of the troops unjustly with the Botha brush.

But Rolland made a crucial, match-influencing decision as early as the fourth minute which rocked the revenge-seeking Boks right back on their feet.

Having awarded them a kickable penalty which would almost certainly have meant the morale-boosting lead in the contest, he promptly reversed it after what seemed a reasonably innocuous altercation between Danie Rossouw and All Black captain Richie McCaw, simultaneously giving the disbelieving Bok lock a sin-binning.

What followed was a 10-point turnaround as the gleeful hosts ran in two unconverted tries before Rossouw’s return, and it was always going to be a tall order from there for South Africa to turn things around despite some flickers of fightback promise.

Just as galling for Bok supporters, though, was that Rolland appeared no less well-disposed to the All Blacks for the remainder of the match, often penalising the Boks at the rucks and in the tackle when there was clear evidence he should have acted the other way in identical situations.

Indeed, fetcher McCaw got away with murder, in terms of skirting his own yellow-carding, getting a “no more” warning from Rolland on one occasion and then, remarkably, being handed what was termed an “official” last warning to save his bacon!

Rolland also took no yellow-card action when Rene Ranger blatantly shoulder-charged Bok fullback Zane Kirchner in the 35th minute.

During SuperSport commentary on the game, former Bok captain Bob Skinstad was moved to say: “He’s (only) reffing one side here.”

And afterwards there was animated studio discussion, with national flyhalf icon Naas Botha saying: “He’s blown like a home-town ref: he kept on ‘warning’ the All Blacks and it was obviously frustrating the Boks; you could hear them talking to him about it.”

Ashwin Willemse, the former Bok wing, said Rolland’s decision-making had “made a major impact on the game” and added that “interpretation” was making things too easy for referees at times.

“He made it very clear he was going to give the All Blacks the benefit of (any) doubt.”

Anchor Darren Scott weighed in on the Ranger high-tackle matter: “If that had been Butch James he would have been sent to Siberia.”

Captain Smit was surprisingly diplomatic in the pitch-side interview after the final whistle: “I was very happy with our set-pieces … (but) we weren’t allowed too much fast ball.”

He didn’t need to say much more.

The various experts’ comments were likely to have struck many South African chords in living rooms … but they also shouldn’t disguise the fact that the Boks have mounting problems, Rolland or no Rolland.
:mad::head:

so p**s*d at this result....Ref was a joke ....wtf IRB? next week the Wallabies better not play this cheating brand