The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini
I don't know why people take every rumor so seriously. Relax. :o

I suspect it is total BS but reading AC Milan, Consider and Jeff Hendrick in the same sentence can only evoke a strong reaction. I'm very relaxed so long as it is just a rumour and never comes to fruition. ;)

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Btw it seems that player transfer values are really falling this year. Inter has agreed to sell Icardi for just 50 mil to PSG. Corona has devastated clubs and as well as the businesses of club owners. Another month and these small Dutch / French / Belgian clubs will be begging clubs like Milan to buy their players!

Kaka06/07

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Saelemaekers
I know one thing about Corona. Businesses are losing money so players will definitely be cheaper. Funny thing is Elliots business is probably getting stronger. They are a debt collector after all.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Honestly, I have doubts about whether Rangnick can do the same thing here, especially as the "Red Bull model" involved having several satellite clubs that required a lot of money to fund the infrastructure rather than just the transfers, which is a cost people sort of forget.

I wonder if Lille will be our Salzburg? Who knows.

I will say this about Rangnick, though. I'm glad we've seemingly committed to some project style, or at least, I hope so. I think Maldini and Boban, if given more time, would have identified enough players, that they would have an impressive enough team to qualify through talent (I mean, you sign enough Theos, Bennacers, and win some gambles on Rebics, and you'll get there).

Rangnick is being brought in to restructure the entire club's sporting approach. Perhaps his approach is truly the future? I hope it is, especially if we get him.

The biggest problem of Milan since Berlusconi sold the club is that Milan has not had any consistency. Each transfer window has attempted to paint on top of the last, so it is this patchwork of transfer philosophies, coach's requests, and management approaches.

If Giampaolo wasn't a genuine idiot, I would have wanted to see if he could actually implement his system. He was just so bad, he couldn't even get to the "give him time" part. Rangnick will need time, whether he gets it, I don't know, but he will need it.

If things go wrong with Ralf (if it doesn't work after two years) I think Elliott sells the club, especially assuming that the stadium begins building during that time and they let the next ownership deal with what to do next. But, I mean, Milan needs to start a new cycle of winning, and frankly, there is a base of players that can give you a spine for a good squad, do you add the right parts and more importantly: do you have the right coach to actually maximize players? I mean, the difference between Pioli and Giampaolo in terms of player performance was insane, even before Ibra came, so imagine if you have a coach who actually is talented, not just competent like Pioli?

What I hope is that Rangnick's system actually disrupts Italian tactics. I think Rangnick is more fluid with his tactics than people give him credit, which has been clear in watching games of his, and countless nerd-breakdowns of his tactical evolution, but what Rangnick understands is that organized speed, keyword here being organized, can disrupt tactics. I think Conte recognizes that in the team he has built in Inter, where the physicality of his teams really wins the day rather than any tactical inventiveness. If you watch even Giampaolo's first half against Inter, you'll see how torn up Inter was even with a horribly managed Milan side (and Suso's ridiculous miss), Conte isn't doing anything inventive, but he's shrewd. It's why Allegri was able to push the exact same Juve squad of Conte's to much higher highs.

Rangnick is as organized about his use of physicality as Conte, but, Conte's structure is used to make every game a battle of attrition that wears out the other team into making mistakes for goals, or banking on individual skill from a playmaker to give the leads. Rangnick, however, uses that physicality to create opportunities to attack, that's the difference.

Will Rangnick work? Who knows. I hope he does. I think Elliott said: "Okay, we're not going to try and destroy FFP [even though they seemed like they were going to--Man City might] so how can we maximize ourselves in this context?" That's how they got Rangnick. I think it makes sense. How Gazidis keeps his job, I don't know, he must have done better at Arsenal (financially) than I thought (which I thought was really just down to Prem TV money); maybe he's on a short leash? The point is, I get why they are choosing Rangnick, it makes a lot of sense, and it is smart. Who knows? It might be the adoption of Moneyball that helped the Red Sox win? It might be the next revolution like Sacchi, but with Rangnick as a late-blooming misunderstood genius who didn't get his break. Or... Rangnick fails.

I'm just ready for Milan to actually try something to try and fix things. We've attempted to band-aid the problems at Milan for too long. Things can always get worse of course, but at this current point, I think Giampaolo is the low-point for me, and Pioli's competence improve Milan considerably, I'm curious to see what an actual innovator like Rangnick can do with Milan. Especially since he has a passion for our club.

[Note: my last two major wall-of-text posts, I'm sorry, lol, and hopefully this can start debate on here.]

This model Milan are about to take on under Rangnick is unheard of in Serie A. Closest thing is Atalanta, but not in terms of management structure.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I suspect it is total BS but reading AC Milan, Consider and Jeff Hendrick in the same sentence can only evoke a strong reaction. I'm very relaxed so long as it is just a rumour and never comes to fruition. ;)

If he joins it’s probably just a reserve spot. But get used to it, all you hear will be a bunch of players most have never seen or heard of. We?ll just have to judge them when they play.

Last edited:

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@NonEvoluto
Proposed to #Milan #KhephrenThuram , son of #Lilian , former player of #Parma and#Juventus . Midfielder of #Nice , class 2001. #Damiani sponsor of the player. #Calciomercato

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@VitoAngele
#Monaco have decided to not buy #Bakayoko. He will return to #London and he's searching to being #Milan's objective. @SempreMilanCom

According to TF20, Milan has asked Real Madrid to loan young Japanese striker Kubo. The Spaniards, however, would prefer to send him on loan in La Liga. The Rossoneri remain at the window.

Last edited:

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

Part of me would love this move just to have an Irish player in the squad.
We've definitely acquired worse players in recent years.

NiceGuy123

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Btw it seems that player transfer values are really falling this year. Inter has agreed to sell Icardi for just 50 mil to PSG. Corona has devastated clubs and as well as the businesses of club owners. Another month and these small Dutch / French / Belgian clubs will be begging clubs like Milan to buy their players!

Its 57 million and they got 5 million so overall 62 million for the whole operation. Keep in mind Icardi's value drops given his agent is Wara and the guy effectively went on a hiatus and pretended to be injured for a few months season before this one.

I do agree with you though - prices will go down.

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Its 57 million and they got 5 million so overall 62 million for the whole operation. Keep in mind Icardi's value drops given his agent is Wara and the guy effectively went on a hiatus and pretended to be injured for a few months season before this one.

I do agree with you though - prices will go down.

The 5 mil was the loan fee for this season. It's got nothing to do with the final purchase. PSG paid the 5 mil even if Inter take back Icardi or sell him to another team. If Milan buy Bak for 25 mil this summer it doesn't become 30 mil just because Milan paid 5 mil for his loan last season! The other 7 mil for Icardi is possible bonuses. So the base transfer fee is 50 mil.

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini
Part of me would love this move just to have an Irish player in the squad.
We've definitely acquired worse players in recent years.

I would love to see more Irish players playing in serie A, la liga, Ligue 1, the bundesliga - you get the idea. For example the likes of Roy Keane, Dennis Irwin, Paul Mcgrath, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Stephen Carr, Stephen Ireland, Wes Hoolahan to name a few players all of whom could have made a career in Europe and gained more respect and skills as result. The english leagues always undervalued Irish players and still does.

The current crop of young players coming through with the new management need to throw of the tradition of making it in England and look to Europe. And they can make a career there, right now they are not given the same respect as other players. That is why I am looking forward to the direction Stephen Kenny will take with the Irish team and it is long long! overdue.

Several Irish managers never believed in the players hence the Hoof-Ball tactics. Several players of real skill were wasted by archaic tacticians. Stephen Ireland got a hard time by fans - I think he moved away from the international set up because of tactics and the fact his skill set would never be utilised he knew this so opted not to play hoof-ball, I respect him for it (he should have just come out and spoke truthfully though).

With Kenny you have a manager who actually believes in his players, encourages them to be more than others think they can be, to be brave, let their football do the talking and strive to be the best. They can only achieve this by playing in a proper Irish international set up with Kenny etc (which they will) and playing their club football in Europe.

In Ireland and the UK Serie A is viewed as a weak league (granted its not as strong as it used to be but it is far better and more competitive than people believe) I would rather see Josh Cullen(just to throw a name in there) who is a much better player than Hendrick. I would love to see a string of the new breed of Irish players lining out for series A sides or playing elsewhere in Europe because it will help their professional game and career immensely it will also benefit the International team.

Hendrick is a workhorse and in decline he would struggle in Serie A and his weaknesses would be exposed very quickly. It would be a waste of time for Milan and a terrible move for him. There are much better Irish players who could play in Europe and many more quality Irish players than people seem to think there are.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
TMW - Milan, Brian Rodriguez idea: contact with the agent

Time for surveys and evaluations at AC Milan. Los Angeles striker Brian Rodriguez is in the sights. First exploratory contacts with agent Pablo Bentancur, who moves to probe the market. Brian Rodriguez will land in Europe in the next market session. Napoli likes it, Sampdoria takes care of it and Bologna appreciates it. And now Milan are also in the running.

Rodriquez is good, but if we're looking at LAFC, Diego Rossi would be the player imo.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
what we need (assuming we'll play with 4-3-3):
- CB x1
- RB x1
- CM x2
- LW x1* (unless you guys ok with Leao)
- RW x1
- CF x1

our budget = 100M ? (not sure)
:monto:

good luck

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This is exactly what I thought. I was actually disappointed at KPMG's process of evaluation, I'm going to give shit to my friend who works there.

The artificial financial constraints of FFP being factored in, and also being stupid enough to use the superficial "losses" of Milan--which are large because of accounting decisions--rather than actual losses (y'know revenues minus expenses); as I've said (and Milan have reported) their actual losses are in the 22-50ish range a year... which is literally in the same range as Inter and Juve.

Barca is carrying a massive amount of debt, like... massive. That should be weighted much heavier, especially as Milan carry no debt. Elliott were the debt-holders, and... that was because they loaned Li the money... So what the fuck are they talking about?

There are things to be alarmed about with Milan, but that is on the sporting side of things. Financially, however, I have a lot of confidence in Elliott as far as financials go. Whether they make the right choices with Rangnick, Gazidis, sure, that's something worth discussing, but like you said @Nevermore, Barca players weren't cutting their wages for some PR stint, Tottenham weren't slashes wages to playing staff (20 percent) and furloughing non-playing staff because they wanted to be solidarity with people. They fucking had to do it, because they are dependent on their revenue to survive.

Milan do not need their revenue to stay afloat. Why? Because they are part of a larger financial institution that has a ton of money.

For example: Amazon's retail business loses billions, but Amazon makes profit in its web services that subsidizes its retail business--because they are trying to take over retail market rather than make money--the point is: there are good reasons you don't need to make money from a company. The fact that FFP places in emphasis on that, without the NFL and NBA-style revenue sharing and goal of competitiveness (a draft, salary cap, etc), means that they sought out a goal in a really stupid way.

All of that is to say: the fact that KPMG are making their models of valuation in accepting the stupid "logic" of FFP with the superficial fan-level analysis of a club like Milan, while ignoring the debts of other clubs (or thinking Milan still has debt), I just... I can't handle the stupidity from them. I doubt (or hope for their clients' sake) that they would use this same method in valuing other companies.
Great read.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
then I question why you like the team if you don't give a crap how they get to the top? why not support man city, or juve, or barca, etc. they win way more? what makes you identify with milan besides red and black stripes?

I don't like Milan, I love Milan. It started 20 years ago and this is never changing to any club or any sport.
Hope this helps

Dena

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
@86_longo: Hendrik Almastadt commands the negotiations for Kristoffer Ajer. Milan is in contact with Celtic Glasgow and Ajer's agents. PSG and Leicester are also interested. Celtic want 18/20M€

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
By the way I am happy that Milan finally starts looking like a normal club. After years and years of mediocrity the management finally realized that they need a serious project, not just another coach change. Rangnick looks like the perfect candidate. Actually I expect his football and intense pressing to take Serie A by storm. This will be a totally different approach of football that has not been seen in Italy... ever. Pretty sure many clubs will be surprised and will not know how to respond.

On the other hand we are finally linked with good players only except for some bullshit reports.
Worst case is that Ralf has 75 m and half of sales. This is probably going to be around 90-100 m total. With this money he can bring Szoboszlai, RB, CB and a few unearthed gems from France. He also seems to be a guarantee for young players so I won't be surprised if we land a few highly rated young players with tricky contract situations. Something that we were never good at. And also these planned loans look very smart and low risk - Jovic, Florentino, Kubo, etc.

We are reportedly just a few details away from the green light for the stadium.

Seems there is light at the end of the tunnel

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Andre Silva just scored a penalty after having won it himself.

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
And at the end, they'll just send him back. :o

And he'll be in the last year of the contract so we can be happy if anyone offer at least 10m.

Lol even Piontek scored. At least it's not PK this time.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
what we need (assuming we'll play with 4-3-3):
- CB x1
- RB x1
- CM x2
- LW x1* (unless you guys ok with Leao)
- RW x1
- CF x1

our budget = 100M ? (not sure)
:monto:

good luck

lol, no, we need to improve the team.

identify 1-2 most deficient positions, get players who are 1. clear upgrades in quality and 2. fit the coaches playing style... add to 2-3 "underwhelming" signings as tradition

come january, try and get a fix for whichever glaring weakness has show.

repeat the process ... team building 101 in 2 years ... it has been proven time and time again that wholesale shit is inefficient.

that "we need a whole new team + 2 new waterboys" is the biggest waste of money and also time. within a year or 2 you are looking to offload half of your new 10 signings at half the price you paid for because "they did not work out" ...

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
I think 100m+ will be enough but we need to get players on loan as much as we can. For example (based on rumors), Jović and Florentino, that's already two of them.

And free agents too, like that kid from PSG.
And talents who are not too expensive, after all, that's why they hire Ralf. :o

In short, it will be enough to build good team who will reach top 4, which is enough for a start.

Btw, Szoboslai is coming. Confirmed. :o :o

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Sono favorevole...
When Serie A resumes on June 20, the idea is to have a game on every single day at seven different kick-off times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule