Europa League Round Of 16: Man United - Milan 11/03/2021 18:55 CET

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks we got a draw because we “no high press, pack the middle and defense, keep the shape and counter” is completely wrong and didn’t watch the same game. Not true at all.

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
*with a healthy Calha or Rebic.

Today's game and the one against Verona crystallized for me what a lot of us on here have been discussing: play the healthy players rather than the half-healthy ones who sparked our late summer-December run. Fielding players with knocks and pulls in a desperate attempt to recreate some of the magic doesn't work for us. We have a system, philosophy, the chemistry...we just need legs and commitment, not players who are afraid to reinjure themselves or who can't run for two-thirds of the game.

This x110 so much

If Theo/Ibra/Rebic/Hakan aren?t fit for next week, please don?t play them. I much rather see us field actually healthy players. Even the likes of Krunic/Meite/Diaz/Dalot. Bring them on the 2nd half but don?t start them, they have to be at 100% to be field.

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
Great and very mature performance by Milan in Manchester. Hats off to Pioli who totally outplayed his counterpart, along with Kessie MOTM - no doubt.

Regular goal of Kessie was disallowed, there should be a clear principle within VAR: goals stand until the opposite/any foul/handball/offside is proven, In Kessie's case there was absolutely no proof of it, and still isn't - nor ever will be.

Tomori and Gigio really poor reaction from both when the hosts scored, specially the latter was hesitant and caught in no mans land, hence the goal - it's 75% his and 25% Tomori's.

Pioli needs to field only the ones that are 100% ready for return leg, not Ibra, Bennacer, Calhanoglu, Theo, Rebic if they're at 90% "only" and scared of injury setbacks. Then it's much better that Meite, Krunic etc plays.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure I read you liked Leao as a forward, prob a few months back. Even VS has given up on Leao now as FWD :)

That was a seriously impressive away performance last night. 100% on the mobility being a key attribute without long balling up to Ibra. Milan just lacking that lethal numero 9 up top.

A few months back I won a loser of the match award for shitting on Leao right before the record-breaking goal against Sassuolo, lol.

He showed some promising signs as a center forward in late December and January, but what I liked the most about it is that he was no longer ruining our press and defensive structure as a winger, but also because he was in some ways better for us than Ibra and I wanted Rebic back on the wings.
I still feel that way to some extent. I've had enough of seeing him start together with Ibra and Theo.

We did a variant of the high press yesterday. It was safer and less all out than we might see with a fully fit squad, but both Meite and Kessie were venturing quite high and winning the ball in good areas.

When one would go the other would drop in on Bruno, and if both were high Tomori stepped out to mark him on a few occasions. Their pivot midfielders are all slow and average on the ball, Pioli knew we could press them as long as Bruno was watched. And except for his fantastic assist, he was invisible before his sub.

As long as we have the midfielders we do with Pioli as a coach, Milan will look for some version of a high press. Difference in the last couple games we had an extra midfielder on the field rather than another forward. Press is still there it just works better. We?ve lost some creativity and invention in the final third but made up for it by being more physical. Eventually/hopefully our team will be healthy and we can go back to crushing teams but until then this approach is the way forward.

I don't think the high press is forced due to the characteristics of our midfielders.
It's Pioli's preferred style. He wants his team to impose itself on the opponents.
We even saw it with a paraplegic Biglia against Atalanta.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kalulu has delivered a lot of shockingly poor crosses so far, but he has a good technique overall, he's not some donkey.
It's not unusual for wingbacks and fullbacks to overhit the crosses or make the wrong choices in the final third when they're inexperienced or new in the team.
Lulic had one of the most comical debuts in Serie A, at 25, but he ended up being one of the best Serie A wingbacks of the last 10 years.
Calabria's crossing and passing have been very off at times as well.

Kalulu has already scored once, or twice if you count friendlies. He assisted the Theo goal against Crvena, that was wrongly overruled for handball. There's end product even at this raw state.
I think he has huge potential as RB - and it's more likely to be achieved than as CB.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kalulu has delivered a lot of shockingly poor crosses so far, but he has a good technique overall, he's not some donkey.
It's not unusual for wingbacks and fullbacks to overhit the crosses or make the wrong choices in the final third when they're inexperienced or new in the team.
Lulic had one of the most comical debuts in Serie A, at 25, but he ended up being one of the best Serie A wingbacks of the last 10 years.
Calabria's crossing and passing have been very off at times as well.

Kalulu has already scored once, or twice if you count friendlies. He assisted the Theo goal against Crvena, that was wrongly overruled for handball. There's end product even at this raw state.
I think he has huge potential as RB - and it's more likely to be achieved than as CB.

Agreed.

Kalulu's physique would be of better use in a FB position, his height is the minimum for a CB (6ft last time I checked) and he is too light (69kg) to stand his ground against physical CF's. He is only 20 years old though and he could gain another inch or inch and a half by the age of 22. He is fast and his runs make sense. Defensively he is naturally good. He can always work on accuracy.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tomori and Gigio really poor reaction from both when the hosts scored, specially the latter was hesitant and caught in no mans land, hence the goal - it's 75% his and 25% Tomori's.

Pioli needs to field only the ones that are 100% ready for return leg, not Ibra, Bennacer, Calhanoglu, Theo, Rebic if they're at 90% "only" and scared of injury setbacks. Then it's much better that Meite, Krunic etc plays.

Agreed with Gigio taking 75% liability of conceding the opener.

We only need Rebic to replace Leao, the rest can start against Napoli. Then Theo can also have some minutes to warm up for the second leg against United.

Ibra, Calhanoglu and Bennacer can continue resting. Especially Ibra, this player is more of a burden than benefit AT THIS TIME. Thanks for everything but please stay out until end of season.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Manchester coach Solskjaer talked about Thursday’s match against Milan:

“I hope to be able to recover 4-5 players for Milan. Cavani, Martial and Van De Beek will probably be available. In the end, Pogba could also leave with us. I hope De Gea can do it too”

So no Rashford

Who are we recovering? Rebic and Calha are back, Kjaer should be OK. What about Calabria? Bennacer and Zlatan could make the bench possibly although i have my doubts bout how wise that would be

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Manchester coach Solskjaer talked about Thursday?s match against Milan:

?I hope to be able to recover 4-5 players for Milan. Cavani, Martial and Van De Beek will probably be available. In the end, Pogba could also leave with us. I hope De Gea can do it too?

So no Rashford

Who are we recovering? Rebic and Calha are back, Kjaer should be OK. What about Calabria? Bennacer and Zlatan could make the bench possibly although i have my doubts bout how wise that would be

Rashford played on Sunday, though he's playing with a sprained ankle and a shoulder injury that requires surgery.

I don't know how United will line up though. We're running on empty and minus the derby, are in awful form. 6 wins out of 15 I think, only 3 good performances in that time frame and we haven't scored a goal in 8 of our last 12 halves of football. Would have been 9/12 but we scored a lucky OG on Sunday.

Schedule