The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Some reassurance, but not a great deal said as expected:

Gazzetta - Gazidis: "We have the same goals as Boban and Maldini. No agreement with Rangnick"

An interview to clarify and close (definitively?) Some issues that in the last few days have raised more than one fuss. Ivan Gazidis spoke to the microphones of La Gazzetta dello Sport touching on various topics. From the relationship with Maldini and Boban to the rumors about Rangnick, passing through the Elliott project. Here are the words of the Rossoneri CEO.

"Two visions at Milan? It is not true, it is not true, it is not true (he repeats it three times). There is only one common vision: to have a modern Milan, which competes at the top of Italian and European football, which in the future plays in the greatest stadium in the world, with a clear football philosophy to achieve success on the pitch ".

In via Aldo Rossi, therefore, there is unity of purpose, but this does not alleviate the concerns of the fans :"Milan are one of the biggest football clubs, but everyone knows that past years have been difficult. Huge losses. Since Elliott took over we are one of the clubs that has invested the most in the world. But be careful: there is the Financial Fair Play and, especially these days, we are seeing that it is serious. The boundaries within which to act are clear. Our goal on the sports side is to grow the team, but with a budget in line with the FFP. We never again want to suffer an exclusion from the cups. The challenges we have to face to get back to the top are manifold, we know we have to take one step at a time, even with inevitable mistakes along the way. No dream is impossible, but all dreams require commitment, effort and patience to be realized ".

Exactly, patience. But can Italian football be patient? "It's true - said Gazidis -here everything changes in a week based on a win or a defeat. And this does not help to grow the system. The temptation is often to make short-term decisions, to bite off more than you can chew. It's normal. Anyone who lives the club with passion has this temptation. I am no exception. After a defeat I don't sleep. After a victory I have 5 minutes of relief, maybe ... This is how I live this club, that's how Paolo Maldini lives it, that's how Zvone Boban lives it and that's how everyone lives it, including our fans. But the danger of making decisions based on this leads you to lose sight of where you want to go and after two, three years you risk paying a dramatic price. "

A consideration also on the club's policy as regards the team: "It must be a good mix of talented youngsters and experienced players who are still hungry for success, with a winning mentality and who know how to lead the group. Ibrahimovic has had a huge impact, from a technical point of view, of personality, of leadership. We have never rejected the idea of ​​experienced and already high level players. But we also focus on those who can become one with the AC Milan jersey. Isn't Theo Hernandez a top player today? Isn't Bennacer a potential top player? There is a team of people trying to find the right balance, the players that allow the winning mix. "

A question about the feeling with the Maldini-Boban duo that could be missing : "A top level team is fundamental to obtain results and we have it. We talk to Zvone and Paolo every day. We come back together, happy or sad, after every game. Everything we do is together. We all want the same thing. I believe that the decisions that are made through debate, discussion and different points of view are the best. Let's not confuse discussion with confrontation. Who's in charge? Who's the king? Nobody. The king is what we all work for. The king is Milan. "

During the interview, Gazidis also closes the Rangninck topic :"I have been in football for 26 years, interacting with hundreds of different people including at least 20 coaches all over the world. It is normal. But nobody in Milan is thinking about a new manager right now. Pioli arrived in a difficult situation, he behaved personally and professionally in an exemplary way. His work has been of the highest level and now we are starting to see this team grow, to develop. Being the Milan coach is a goal for many great coaches. But Pioli remains in pole position also for the future: the season is still open. It is too early to talk about it now. Rangnick? I never speak of members of other clubs, players, coaches, managers. It would not be right and correct to do so. "

Last edited:

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
As expected. Dont know why even do this.

Guess you need to feed the masses every once in a while.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Very nice interview.

He is good at these mind games. I'm guessing Maldini is thinking pretty hard right now.

Last edited:

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Rangnick? I never speak of members of other clubs, players, coaches, managers. It would not be right and correct to do so. "

Good interview. Not even denying the news.

This is as good as a confirmation :thumbsup:

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I think they just copied and pasted their previous 'exclusive interview' and added the brief Rangnick denial. :lol:

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
You missed the part where he mentioned liverpool and said they were in the same situation as Milan until klopp arrived.
Big hint right there.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
. I'm guessing Maldini is thinking pretty hard right now.

images

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Claudio Nassi , former Samp and Fiorentina manager, spoke to TMW, these are his words on Milan: "I wish there were people capable and understanding. It seems to me that they do not shine in ability despite having a past of great footballers. I have known another Milan: Galliani was very good at the political level and at the technical level he surrounded himself with people who understood. I am surprised that he takes into consideration a foreign coach. But what does he know and who knows about our football? Liedholm, Boskov and Eriksson are exceptions that confirm the rule. Taking another foreign technician would mean being protected by a strong company. "

Just a random interview from milannews, but it shows what's wrong with the Italian football. They stuck in the past, think they are somehow special and rules do not apply to them.

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
AC Milan Ticket Sales Soar 7.5% After Partnership With WePlay For 6 Months SportBusiness

Seems like this is what’s Gazidi’s has been up to.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
More interview extracts:

Gazidis: "We are like Liverpool: soon you will see what Milan will be"

Elliott has clear ideas. Gazidis has clear ideas. The Rossoneri's managing director, interviewed by the Gazzetta dello Sport, spoke of the future of the club in via Aldo Rossi: "Milan has its history and will have its future history without imitating anyone. But Liverpool spent 9 years in a situation similar to that of Milan, crushed by costs. They tried to make their way and they succeeded with right and often difficult choices. When Klopp arrived he said that he would make the skeptics become believers; nobody at the beginning trusted him, not even the fans, but then, in small steps ... Today we see what Liverpool is. Soon you will see what Milan will be ".

Gazidis: "Elliott has a clear medium-long term plan"

During the interview granted to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Ivan Gazidis also spoke about Elliott's project: "I know, our owners know, that a football club is not a financial company, but a social, cultural institution, public and in the end it is the property of its fans. Milan belongs to the Milan fans. The best business we can do is to create a club at the top again. We do not buy players to sell them, if we ever give someone up it will be to invest in others, it will be for sporting reasons. Elliott has no intention of withdrawing value from the club, he has a clear medium-long term project. We will do all that is necessary to bring Milan back to the top clubs in the world. The day a new owner appears, they will have to be very solid, because they will be buying a club that is at the top in all sectors

Last edited:

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
Gazids, Maldini, and Boban should all absolutely stay. We need fucking stability FFS. We've had like 4 managements in 5 years. It's absurd.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Gazids, Maldini, and Boban should all absolutely stay. We need fucking stability FFS. We've had like 4 managements in 5 years. It's absurd.
+1

I'm sick of of change to be honest. The pendulum is swinging in the right directio

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Claudio Nassi , former Samp and Fiorentina manager, spoke to TMW, these are his words on Milan: "I wish there were people capable and understanding. It seems to me that they do not shine in ability despite having a past of great footballers. I have known another Milan: Galliani was very good at the political level and at the technical level he surrounded himself with people who understood. I am surprised that he takes into consideration a foreign coach. But what does he know and who knows about our football? Liedholm, Boskov and Eriksson are exceptions that confirm the rule. Taking another foreign technician would mean being protected by a strong company. "

Just a random interview from milannews, but it shows what's wrong with the Italian football. They stuck in the past, think they are somehow special and rules do not apply to them.

Of course Italian football is special, and they should do things their way. All other big leagues have good spells when they do exactly that. Maybe expect for the PL who have crazy money.

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Of course Italian football is special, and they should do things their way. All other big leagues have good spells when they do exactly that. Maybe expect for the PL who have crazy money.

There’s ways to advance and remain unique to what at its core makes it Italian. Like issues of stadiums in Italy it’s ridiculous that changes are happening now only. The way the Serie A was handled was awful, that is why Premier League has all that money in the first place. Serie A is legitimately backwards on race issues as well, many political issues in general.

This way of thinking is the enemy of progress and is the exact reason Milan is where it is and in fact Serie A was where it was, luckily Italian clubs are mordenising. Luckily as seen above Milan is making advance in tech with things such as the app, the way Milan is being marketed is 2020 not stuck in the past.

Copying what is successful does not imply automatic loss of identity and some things need to be less ‘Serie A way’ for things to get better. Some things are better left where they belong in the past.

Last edited:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
First of all: Hitchens, Curupira, Samaldinho and all the others: great wall of textes. And I'm saying this on the most positive meaning. Really enjoyed reading through the last pages. Keep it up.

Re: Gazidis-Interview

To me it's more a confirmation of what my feeling towards media's are: There's been a lot of stories made out of thin air with clear narratives and story-telling-elements like the goodies, the baddies, the twists and spectacular confrontations and frictions. All of this to have high click rates on a daily base. Like an ongoing soap opera you need to check in every day to not miss the next turning point of a story without limits.

But that's not real life.

Truth is that not even half of what media's write is true no matter how much they repeat it.

---

Example: Just few days ago I had an argument with someone (don't know who anymore) about Gazidis supposedly "only young talents, no experience, refused to buy Zlatan and Fabregas a year ago because of that" stance.

I pointed out that that's the persona that medias like to draw of Gazidis because it makes him a good villain in their daily soap. But fact is that whenever he spoke out loud, he insisted that experienced players under the right circumstances are very well welcomed — in fact he repeats it in this last interview again but be sure people will forget it by tomorrow — and in fact we did bring three over 30 years old player with Kjaer, Zlatan — who would have been here already a year ago if it was up to Gazidis and not Zlatan as we well know from Zlatans presentation — and Begovic in one single window. I'll even go as far as saying that if you took the average age of all players we got since Gazidis is here it'd be over 25 years. Maybe even without Zlatan.

---

All this talks about frictions and fights within our management. This M&B vs Gazidis stance... This only youngsters project at all costs policy... This Gazidis wants Ragnik to get rid of Maldini and Boban... This Maldini and Boban have been momentary signings only to please the fans — something rather odd to do when you insist on painting Elliott as an unsentimental, cold-hearted organization who doesn't give a shit about fans and nostalgia —, to me it doesn't add up.

Being myself a journalist and knowing how things work (admitted, I'm no sport journalist so I have no insights in that regard), I can see a lot of things going on and call 80% of reports, if not even more, bullshit. I can tell ya that reality in most cases is way less spectacular and exciting than you read. More than you probably think of even with that knowledge in your mind.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Edit: Me blind, full thing was posted on last page :fp:

Great interview from Gazidis. Say what you will about him but he certainly knows what to say.

Last edited:

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There’s ways to advance and remain unique to what at its core makes it Italian. Like issues of stadiums in Italy it’s ridiculous that changes are happening now only. The way the Serie A was handled was awful, that is why Premier League has all that money in the first place. Serie A is legitimately backwards on race issues as well, many political issues in general.

This way of thinking is the enemy of progress and is the exact reason Milan is where it is and in fact Serie A was where it was, luckily Italian clubs are mordenising. Luckily as seen above Milan is making advance in tech with things such as the app, the way Milan is being marketed is 2020 not stuck in the past.

Copying what is successful does not imply automatic loss of identity and some things need to be less ‘Serie A way’ for things to get better. Some things are better left where they belong in the past.

Of course the stadiums are a problem but that‘s on a different page, nobody believes that to be a good situation now, it probably was when football was less inflated.

The racial issues as well, but it‘s also a little questionable how big that‘s influance really is apart from the ethic POV. Also it is more specific a targeting of black people, Serie A is probably one of the most Latino and Arab people friendly leagues.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
AC Milan Ticket Sales Soar 7.5% After Partnership With WePlay For 6 Months SportBusiness

Seems like this is what’s Gazidi’s has been up to.

Falls in line with him recently talking about growth in the China market. 7.5% increase is pretty big too!

Yep, we do. Even if the results don't come for another year or two - which will suck - at least we can build something rather than hope to year-zero it again and gamble. What Gazidis said in his interview that none of them are "safe" in the sense that ultimately what's best for the club will be done even if him, Maldini, or Boban aren't it. Goes in line with what I said yesterday that nobody is bigger than the club, although there needs to be consistency to grow as well.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
what would have happened to giampaolo if bobini managed to sign veretout, praet, and correa

He would still fail. The squad still would've lacked a versatile, goal-scoring forward and still would've lacked a proper regista/anchor for a 4-3-1-2. There were basically none of the ingredients for a passing-oriented 4-3-1-2 when they decided to hire Giampaolo. Like I said, it had no rational basis. Zero pragmatism. A decision driven by nostalgia and delusions. It was a Silvio moment from Paolo.
You could even add Sensi, as the regista, and that would still be a lightweight midfield that would struggle to even get us into Top 8, like Giampaolo's Sampdoria.

But most of all, Giampaolo still lacked the personality to coach Milan. He clearly couldn't handle all the pressure, just like when he went AWOL with Brescia. Way out of his depths. It was really sad to see. They did him a favor when they fired him after the Genoa win.

I think the fact that we buy players for one formation and then keep changing our formation throughout the season is the biggest failure of our transfer policy.

I saw this even during mirabelli. We bought players to play a 3 man backline without proper wing backs. Most of the forum thought I was trolling when I said it would be a good idea to trade locatelli for cuadrado or bring in someone like Ashley young. Well we ended up playing an unbalanced formation the entire year and borini ended up as a full back.

That's what I was alluding to. Berlu was gone, but we still had club executives trying to force a wingerless double CF system on the team, and not even buying the right kind of players for that. This time it was Mirabelli and 3-5-2.

That 3-5-2 was missing more than just wingbacks to work.
The attackers were the weakest link. Zero dependable creators and goalscorers.
We had no proper support striker. A desperate Montella tried a 3-4-3 a few times, with Suso and Hakan as wingers, and it was just as ultra-defensive and dysfunctional as one would've or should've expected.

Rino deployed a 4-3-3 with Abate or Calabria as RB(Borini during injury crisis), Bona as LCM and of course Suso and Hakan as wingers. I wouldn't say it was unbalanced. Uninspiring? Low growth potential? Sure. But it got us somewhat decent results for a while when Cutrone was scoring.

Maybe but I don't think anyone above maldoban sees pioli as a long term solution at the club. I think he's gone at the end of the season and if he's leaving then I don't see why maldoban should stick around.

If Pioli leaves us with something worth building on, then I would want the summer mercato to be dictated by (football) people who've closely followed the team this season. I don't want another mercato and season with unprepared new directors and new coaches coming in and not learning what we already know until it's too late.

Awesome post. But is it really likely that Pioli will survive at the bench even if the Maldini-Boban duo continues to call the technical shots? I doubt it.

I don't quite agree either at the effectiveness of the current style in getting top 4, especially compared to Gattuso's style (I think that was a safer bet to get into top 4 with the raw material that we have).

Pioli was adequate for a salvage operation, and he has done quite well in that. But I doubt Maldini would trust him for a full season ahead.

I'm not sure if Maldoban want to continue with Pioli.
I would like them to and I think they(Gazidis included) would too, if things go as I think/hope it will in these remaining months of the season.

Rino's risk-minimizing 4-3-3 was pretty effective, with a weak material, however he also had a proper DM and Piatek in the scoring form of his life. The team looked incredibly poor in March-April. when Piatek stopped scoring from every half-chance and Baka got benched for Biglia. It was very similar to some of Giampaolo's games this season.

Rino took a low risk, low reward approach after Higuian's breakdown, and a horrendous defensive record with the initial, more daring approach. It was the right decision in those circumstances, but I don't think it's the right way to re-establish the team in the Top 4.

Pioli could learn a thing or two from Rino though, and vice versa.

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
Should also apply to Pioli if he keeps up the current quality of play.

Before any agreement with any other coaches, I hope the management give due consideration for Pioli, for once in the last 5 years Milan has finally be able to create scoring opportunities and work as a team. If he can come close to qualifying for UCL then we should give him the chance to build on what he has achieve for next season.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Not to underestimate that great, long post Goodfella, but I think Pioli might end up getting as close to CL as Rino did.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Before any agreement with any other coaches, I hope the management give due consideration for Pioli, for once in the last 5 years Milan has finally be able to create scoring opportunities and work as a team. If he can come close to qualifying for UCL then we should give him the chance to build on what he has achieve for next season.
:thumbsup:

With this 4411/4231 or whatever you want to label it, we look like we are dangerous for once in the last years and play good football. We're actually a threat to teams like Juve and Inter consecutively, etc. Depth is an issue as is some of the starting quality but the basis of a strong team is definitely here to be worked on. I'd hate nothing more than someone else being brought in (Unless it's a Klopp or Pep top coach type) and changing the system and making the same mistakes Milan make every year. Continuity is key, even if only for another year.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Qaas, what do you think of getting that Cornelius guy as a vice Ibra next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule