UCL Round of 16 - Tottenham Hotspurs (0) vs AC Milan (0) - 2nd Leg - 09/03/2011

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
He was not getting playing time in England, so I tought he would struggle a bit too. Actually he was on the same level he was playing at Inter.

Emerson is very similar, really.

yah it's kinda surprising he adapted so quickly and lucas took a while, but then again when i think about it maybe not

tottenham's midfield is very technical kind of like arsenal one gilberto silva played in. He could easily be DM heir at tottenham, just sit back do his job with modric, van der vaart, lennon, bale etc. That's if they can keep them all....

Largo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
----------------Abbiati------------------
-Oddo-------Nesta--Yepes-------Antonini
-----------------Silva--------------------
-----Abate-----------------Boateng------
----------------------Robinho------------
-------Ibrahimovic-----------------------
--------------------Pato----------------

pato must play as center forward.
abate and boateng should support the flanks in defence and attack aswell.
sure silva is a CB and boateng behind the strikers would be good, but i dont wanna see seedorf and flamini.
so.. this is the best possible formation. imo.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
----------------Abbiati------------------
-Oddo-------Nesta--Yepes-------Antonini
-----------------Silva--------------------
-----Abate-----------------Boateng------
----------------------Robinho------------
-------Ibrahimovic-----------------------
--------------------Pato----------------

pato must play as center forward.
abate and boateng should support the flanks in defence and attack aswell.
sure silva is a CB and boateng behind the strikers would be good, but i dont wanna see seedorf and flamini.
so.. this is the best possible formation. imo.

No Silva in midfield, just no. :o

Largo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
No Silva in midfield, just no. :o

there is no better option for that game, seedorf + flamini = fail

also the whole team need to stop the sloppy playing.
ibrahimovic lost the ball 100times in the first game, its champions league and he wanna show how cool he is instead of fighting and playing efficiently.
i like ibra.
but i think he fails at big games because of hes attitude.

Reaction score
lol

Football fans arguing over stats is the most pointless endeavour. I can't help but cringe.

What do you lot think of this formation?
--------------Abbiati---------------
--Abate--Nesta--Silva--Zambro
----KPB---Flamini---Strasser---
-Robinho------------------Pato-
---------------Ibra-----------------

Hutton will most probably replace an injured Corluka, if Pato is given the space he would absolutley terrorize him. No point in holding back

I dont like it its build arounf Ibra :thumbsdown: :o! Put Robi behind Pato and Ibra replace Flamini with Merkel and you have a winner although we dont know if Zambro will make it in time!

Reaction score
It's quit OK, but one problem Zambro is stil injured.
Our big, big problem is defensive MD (injuries, Gattuso banned, MVB & Emanuelson cap tied). So, apart for Kevin Prince, Allegri has to carefully chose the other two (or one).

I would go for risky lineup (we have nothing to lose). Presuming most of us do not want to see T.Silva as DMF, would try:

..............Abbiati
Abate, Nesta, T.Silva, Antonini (or Jankulovski),
.......K Prince Boateng,........Merkel,
Pato.......................... Robinho,
...............Ibra

KPB to give help to Abate with Bale and Robinho, Merkel, to give help Antonini (or Janku) with Lennon. Risky but if Pato Ibra would have their good game maybe it would paid off.

Dude you forgot 1 player only 10(with abbiati)

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Dude you forgot 1 player only 10(with abbiati)

He's anticipating for Flamini getting red carded.

Spurs game is still sort of far away compared to a game like Napoli. Pirlo and Ambrosini are still out then, but is Zambrotta also? And Strasser? What was that list again with expected dates for our injured players to return?

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
I hope that Zambro might make it, this season he's been so much better than Anto even if he's older and isn't fast, but still I trust him much more than Anto. We still have two weeks to recover him, though he's the only one who could recover in time I think. Ambro and Pirlo won't make it for sure, they'll be back in further four weeks or so.
Midfield is a real problem for this game, we need to field a compact one and can't go all out attack without a real midfield. It's a bit too early now to post a formation due to all the missing players, we'll see some days before the match who'll be available and then we'll see who can be a starter and who not.

HeroMaldini

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Pato, Kaka(he'll be back!) Prince, Abate, Ibra, Robbie Keane
some of ye putting Silva at wing back..this could be interesting.. but defo no merkel, we cant afford to have any passengers in this game. seriously he is thee most overrated player by most people in here..he isnt good at shooting or tackling, or a good dribbler, and i cant remember him giving any killer passes that sliced open the defence. so wtf does he give us!? all i can see is that he gives us 1 thing that seedorf doesnt, he doesnt totally fuck up on a regualr basis during a game

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Weah, Maldini, Savicevic, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Thiago Silva, Pato
One thing I will tell you for certain is that Spurs will go out to score goals.....from the beginning!

It will be an exciting game.

That's probably what Allegri wants. Tottenham would be wise to try to keep the score low.

E

Esoteric

Abate---Nesta---Silva---Antonini
-Flamini---Seedorf---Merkel
----------Boateng-----------
Pato-----------------Ibrahimovic

Seedorf is awful alright but we don't have options, without him we would have a ridiculously loose midfield. He keeps a bit of compactness. However, he needs to give his best to be there, otherwise it makes no sense to field him.

4-3-3 formations don't work especially in this game. We need to slow the match down not speed it up because we can't match them with pace.

Also probably Boateng and Merkel would interchange places because Merkel is weaker defensively and gets overwhelmed easily. We also need a top forward on the bench like Robinho to get in at half time or something depending on the situation.
As for people thinking such formation is defensive, it's more attacking than fielding a 4-3-3 where we get outrun and dominated and don't even get a chance at goal. We played Ajax away much better with a similar formation and got many chances despite being nonclinical. In this match, we will have to count on being clinical. If all our midfielders attack and defend with same intensity, we can create more chances than a 4-3-3 formation.

My only fear is that even if we surprise Tottenham and score a goal early on, we will sit back like Allegri always does and give them the initiative to control the match completely, and then even if we remain compact at the back, they get a fluke goal with all the balls they'll be putting in.

edika_kaka

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka,Steven Defour
to qualify we have to win 2-0 or 3-0.. in allegri i believe milan will qualify for the next round..forza milan!!

Forza Milano

Serie A Winners 2010/2011
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Zidane, Larsson, Kaka, Pirlo, L.Ronaldo, Pato, Ibrahimovic, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva
to qualify we have to win 2-0 or 3-0.. in allegri i believe milan will qualify for the next round..forza milan!!

To qualify we have to beat them by 1 goal on the night simple

forza milano

Yiddo

Banned
Reaction score
I think it will be tough for Grandpa's Red & Black Army. Spurs have youth on their side, pace, creativity, all the same ingredients that led Man Utd to humiliate Milan. I just can't imagine a scenario where the Milan team can get at Tottenham and put them under intense pressure. Unfortunately, I really do believe Tottenham will cruise into the quarterfinals probably with a 3 goal aggregate victory.

Milan are definitely moving in the right direction. But too many important players are either injured, suspended or ineligible to play in the Champions League. I would definitely advise Allegri to focus on Serie A and forget the European Cup this year. I'm sure you fans are desperate to win the domestic title again after watching your hated rivals run away with it for the past few seasons.

Next season I am sure Milan will be a serious force in this competition again. You can't keep a great club like Milan down forever. Everything is starting to move in the right direction with the management team targeting younger players now.

Buona fortuna. :D

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I can't say it isn't depressing to have Tottenham fans looking down their noses and speaking to us as if we're newcomers here.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I think it will be tough for Grandpa's Red & Black Army. Spurs have youth on their side, pace, creativity, all the same ingredients that led Man Utd to humiliate Milan. I just can't imagine a scenario where the Milan team can get at Tottenham and put them under intense pressure. Unfortunately, I really do believe Tottenham will cruise into the quarterfinals probably with a 3 goal aggregate victory.

Milan are definitely moving in the right direction. But too many important players are either injured, suspended or ineligible to play in the Champions League. I would definitely advise Allegri to focus on Serie A and forget the European Cup this year. I'm sure you fans are desperate to win the domestic title again after watching your hated rivals run away with it for the past few seasons.

Next season I am sure Milan will be a serious force in this competition again. You can't keep a great club like Milan down forever. Everything is starting to move in the right direction with the management team targeting younger players now.

Buona fortuna. :D

no. Leonardo humiliated Milan, not Man utd.

Man Utd probably would have beat Milan regardless, but the 7-2 margin was ALLLLLL Leonardo.

-Favalli at LB with no tactical adjustment (read: Valencia owning him in miles of space)
-Subbing Bonera out and putting Ambrosini at CB
-Not starting Seedorf (who'd been in form) in favor of beckham at CAM?

The list goes on.

As for you can't see Milan putting Tottenham under intense pressure?
You were under it for 45 minutes last game. It left Milan exposed in the back, and you exposed it with Lennon, which was inevitable.

The injury crisis has me worried, I don't feel confident like I would with sa healthy roster. But I feel comfortable Allegri will come up with best possible plan. I didn't think he made mistakes first leg, he just got let down by the attack. If half the team played with Gattuso's intensity/hunger it'd be different.

If Milan fail to score again, even with a terrible midfield, I'll be disappointed beyond belief with Ibrahimovic, Robinho and Pato (whatever combo plays the game).

Being only a 1 goal game, Milan has no incentive to go for kill off the bat and exposing itself to your counter, which would be only way I'd see Tottenham getting a 2+ goal margin early.

Whether Milan win or lose the tie though, the right move is for Allegri to keep it conservative and thoughtful and pick his spots, as Milan simply have too many liabilities in midfield/defense to not.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
putting all the blame on leanrado a rookie :D who went for glory I wont blame him not even one bit, if huntelaar could finish that chance in sansiro and anto wasnt injured(the play after valencia crossed to rooney and bam)
gattuso was pure shit under leo, so was pirlo seedorf(at least he scored a majestic goal), nesta gave simple goal did you see that rooney goals , nesta was stranded like a novice (blame it on leo)
lot of injuries

, he never humilated Milan he gave his all when he was here and thanks for it. Now fuck off when you are in merda

all this thing coming from a carlo fan boy who surrendered one cl to benitez ... aint it sightly ... hmmm *cough*h...crisy*cough*

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Humiliated? We lost 4-0 to Inter and ManUtd. One of those was at our own ground... We lost to Inter 4-0 with our home game. How isn't that humiliating?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Gattuso going and wrestling in opponent box = leos fault :conf:(needed a bitch slap there)

or seedorf sitting naked in the bench when asked for substitution , he is naive fucking coach and blaming everything on him is :eek:
Then agains it was mourinho nobody can win against mourinho in home games he is god deal with it
leo was good from one roma game to another , then huntelaar missed a sitter because he was going to be kicked by burdiso :o

Love huntelaar dont like leo that much now but its so unfair

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
It was our home game you fool. :D

Rino is booked for fouling Eto'o and giving away a penalty; He is then injured; He then, while awaiting a substitution, fouls Sneijder and is sent off. You can't blame Leo for that. Not changing the game plan though? I can blame Leo.

I can also blame Leo for the ManUtd abomination..

He was a good manager for us, and i'm eternally grateful...unlike some. The amount of ups and downs you have with him as manager is astounding, yet i wouldn't take him back over Allegri.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ok blame him then :o

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Baresiuno

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Blackpool are playing alot faster and direct football than milan did at G.Meazza.
Against Tottenham Milan did play walking football. Slow as hell without creating anything.

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
Blackpool have a more energetic and creative midfield than the players available to AC Milan in this Champions League tie.

It sort of seems like you're joking, but it also sort of seems like you're saying Blackpool are better than Milan when we have a few players missing. Is this seriously what you're saying?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
It sort of seems like you're joking, but it also sort of seems like you're saying Blackpool are better than Milan when we have a few players missing. Is this seriously what you're saying?

no he's right.

adam is far more creative than any of the players we fielded against spurs.

I wouldnt say our midfield was lazy tho, apart from ofcourse seedorf.

Schedule