Ac Milan Vs Bologna

makaveli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso,Kaka, Nesta, Inzaghi, Gerrard, Henry, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Rui Costa..
i'am really suprised by all of you guys!! speaking bullshit like congratulating juve for their scudetto or stuff like that. nothing is over until it finishes. that's a well known theory in football so please think before writing. we just had two bad week's wich resulted with a gap of eight point's to juve. but did ya forgotten that there are more than 17 week's to play and that there are more than 50 point's left??! did anyone of you believed that we could loose 6 point's in a two week's time, and agains't two mid tabled team's?? i don't believe so at least not from your prediction's that i've seen. so it can happen to juve too, it happened before and it had alway's happened. this is the reason why football is the no.1 sport on the planet. you remember when inter lost 7 point's in 3 week's and lost the scudetto to juve in 2001/02 season if i am not wrong. anyway sheva's injury is a real blow, knowing that we've got only crespo left, while tommason is a mid quality striker and out offom. but i would really blame C. Ancelloti for these point's lost. I watched both matches and agains't Livorno it was the most stupid mistake of the season not fielding Rui instead of Ambrosini in Andrea Pirlo's abscensce. we missed creativity in the miedfield in that match a thing that ambro cannot do it. while agains't bolonga fielding serginho as a left back was another terrible attack. his crossing's toward's the striker's were great but he forgotted that he had to defend too. Bolonga goal came after he lost a ball and he did not see needed to comne back and recover his mistake but left the poor's paolo, stam, and cafu on their own to recover his mistake( only they together carrie more than 100 year's on their shoulder's paolo 37, cafu 34, stam 33). Fielding Serginho in dhorasso's position would be good but as left back it was awful, and please carlo save us from your experiment's next time. Milan must think about transforming the team cause we really posses great player's, but they are really old, especially for Nesta the other one's are really not at their best, and i don't see them recovering with that age. And what's really ironic is selling Coloccini . he doesn't posses maldini's experience but he could be a very defender, like many did but without playing he can't achieve that, so giving him the extension and loaning him again would be a better idea than selling him (we don't need money). and who think's that Milan's defence is the strongest in the world must be the biggest looser. to have a great defence it does'n mean too posses great defender's, but too have great miedfield and attack like barcelona and many other team's do, they attack all the time and aply agressive and pressing football all the time agains't their opponent's wich result's with great result's. anyway i think that we need a singing right now, and a striker would be perfect. Not a classic one like gilardino is cause we've got enough of them, but a striker that posses great technique, dribbling, speed etc.. skill's like kind's of Martin's, Torres, Tevez etc.. Anyway what i want to say is that nothing is lost until everything finishes.

FORZA MILAN

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
Another Sunday, another disappointment, another idiot in a referee's disguise and another 3 points to break our hearts ... But the ultimate heart break is Sheva's injury ...
If Livorno's match wasn't shocking enough for Milan, I think yesterday was a great slap to our "winning ways" :rolleyes: Honestly I'm tired of continuous accusations with no real analysis to what the problem is, so I'll stop the finger-pointing right here and go back 2 years in time ...

- 2002-2003:
We had a strong team, though ironically not strong enough against small teams in the league, so what was our problem? No wingers ... We didn't have neither an LB nor a RB who can create chances from the flanks, our attempts were all concentrated in the centre and that's obvioulsy not the brightest way to break through the 10 man defenses in Serie A ... That year we were close, but we could not win the scudetto ...

- 2003-2004:
Milan bring in Pancaro and Cafu, two experienced wingers whom the management trusted to solve our frustrations on the sides ... The season started and along started Cafu and Pancaro to impress, especially with the arrival of Kaká whose 1 on 1 passes with Cafu seemed to be the heavenly solution for Milan's previously paralized midfield ... With Sheva upfront bombing the opponents' nets, Kaká's magical assists and Maldini-Nesta at the back, Milan seemed to be the dream team for every fan and every coach and were able to win the title with a one-in-a-lifetime points record ...

-2004-2005:
"We are the champions", "we fear no one", season started with we this, we that, a Super Coppa win and God bless the days of humility :o
- First match, disappointment? Third match, disappointment? 4 defeats, 6 draws and 12 wins doesn't sound very normal now for a team that was once called a dream team ... Take a look at these numbers and it won't sound too disastrous, but the fact that it is when you're trying to catch up with Capello's Juve ...
Who made the difference last year? Was it Cafu, Kaká, Pancaro or them all? Was it the strong determination and spirit we saw in every match, whose absence in one match against Depor costed us the Champions League?
I don't think a player will grow 'too old' in 2-3 months time and his age will all of the sudden start to affect his performance ... If they were able to pull out that performance last year then they'd definitely be able to do it this year as well, only if they have the strong will and desire to ... I no longer see the 1 on 1 passing between Kaká and Cafu, I no longer see Trilly's clever long chippers, I no longer see Kaká's long rocket-like shots which saved us many times last year, I no longer see Rino's die hard defense and I no longer see the Milan I saw last year ... As ironic as this may seem, the only one who seems to be desperate to prove himself is Dhorasoo and who undoubtedly deserves a starting position from now on ...

I don't think it's too late to wake up from the "we are the champions" comma and realize that there's a problem ... I don't think it's too late to stop Gobbi from yet another trophy to add to their endless titles ... I don't think 8 points is too much as we still have 17 weeks to go ... But let it be known that if we REALLY want this year's title, we ought to begin working this very minute, starting from management to coach and players ... They can achieve something if they want it from their hearts and work on it accordingly, but only IF ...

And who said that Sheva will be out for the rest of the season? Sheva will be fine En Sha Allah, just keep the faith ...

FORZA MILAN!!!
FORZA SHEVA!!!

Last edited:

Cescania

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini
Nothing Serious For Injured Shevchenko
1/31/2005 3:18:00 PM www.goal.com
Good news for AC Milan as they will only have to do without their superstar striker Andriy Shevchenko for two weeks.
The diagnosis was confirmed by Rossonero team doctor Massimilano Sala after he performed an MRI on Shevchenko’s right tibia, that suffered a small hole in its muscle following a harsh tackle by Bologna defender Gamberini during yesterday’s clash between the two Serie A sides.

Shevchenko is expected to return for the Reggina-Milan clash set to played on February 13th.

A sigh of relief~ :o
Get well soon, our best striker.

Back to the game. Milan has improved from last game. I saw some players play quite well, including Maldini, Dohrasso (what a pity that his beautiful goal was overruled).But...

Like some of you said, I agree that Milan had difficulties in finishing an attack.
Shots: Milan 28 (9) vs Bologna 4 (1) --> still couldn't score one
Possession: Milan 30 mins vs Bologna 20 mins --> mean nothing
Corner: Milan 14 vs Bologna 1 (or 0, not sure) --> only Ambro's head shot was dangerous

Match data reflects nothing. Milan dominated the game but gain nothing. It's not the first time, especially when the opponent put all efforts in defence. I suggest Milan should have a training in a half size pitch, only focus on attacking against 11 defenders team. :head:

sheva2006

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sheva,nesta,kaka,Maldini,totti
i think our problems are:
1-LB.pancaro was superb last year,but this year i didn't see even one good cross from him
kalatdze was shit befor juve game and when he back to his best we lost him because of injury
2-kaka,sheva and crespo want to prove thierself,why?
kaka had a bad start ,he want to show that his last year performance was not a flash
sheva is the best europe player so he must show that he is the best
crespo had a bad season in england and a horrible start in serie a this year.
so we see that many times they didn't score many easy chances,they want to drible and past 3 or 4 player.sometime they make thing very hard for thierself.
and tommason was really invisible in this season.
3-gattuso has a mediacer season .
4-carlo sometimes surprised everyone with his fault.
like putting gattuso and ambrosini in first line up.
useing serginho in milan vs barca game.
foe example he in bologna game he must subsitued costa with serginho not kaka,i saw dida only 3 times on that match so i don't think it was really hard to play with this formation for 30 minute.
dida-cafu-stam-maldini-pirlo-ambrosini-dhorasso-costa-kaka-tommason-crespo
what would happen after that,what is difference between 1-0 and 2-0.we lost 3 point so we should use all of our power to come back to game.
5-we have no luck this year.do u remmeber our goal against ajax in exttra times 2 years ago.
do u remember our great coma back against inter last year.
6-this year our rival is juve not roma.juve has character of winning in serie a.with nodoubt milan play very better than them but they get used to 1-0 or 2-1
7-this year all ref were against us,they showed it from first match against livorno till now.i really didn't know what was dhorasoo goal's problem

anyway we lost 6 point only in 2 week.this situation may happen for juve,why not?

milan_fan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, pirlo, gilardino, pippo, dida, sheva
i think we have some problems, some really big coaching problems... I think we clicked last season because the players are quality so obviously you'd expect something from them even if they are let on the pitch coachless...

but then we ended up with problems such as,
> we let in a hole in the midfield with pirlo, rino, etc. all upfront. really wierd but true problem as our defences are not the best right now with only nesta having quite a few good games. quite a few.

> set pieces. are we so bad at set pieces that we score hardly once in more than 100 corners(an understatement!!). I think a good team should be pretty useful at set pieces so that even of the guys are out of motivation etc, a goal can still be scored.

> I don't know but i feel our midfield does very badly when we are playing games where players are pre-match talked of obtaining a draw(!!). I think this has particularly got to do with pirlo playing badly...

add to this list if you can think of anything else...

tmilan

Marius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Chiricheș
I think the most important problem for Milan now is the lack of luck...
Forza Milan!!!

Pranjic

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio
Cescania said:
Nothing Serious For Injured Shevchenko
1/31/2005 3:18:00 PM www.goal.com
Good news for AC Milan as they will only have to do without their superstar striker Andriy Shevchenko for two weeks.
The diagnosis was confirmed by Rossonero team doctor Massimilano Sala after he performed an MRI on Shevchenko’s right tibia, that suffered a small hole in its muscle following a harsh tackle by Bologna defender Gamberini during yesterday’s clash between the two Serie A sides.

Shevchenko is expected to return for the Reggina-Milan clash set to played on February 13th.

A sigh of relief~ :o
Get well soon, our best striker.
At least Sheva won't be out for too long,the only good news from this game!

Ricky22

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
hi all, i think Makaveli has right...we must hope until the end.. =) we have to wait 2 weeks and Sheva will return..we have time, take it easy!! Juve won't always win... :rolleyes:

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
savicevic10 said:
No offence, but do you not think you're being a bit of a baby.

True, but I guess that I/we have a right to be so. Of course, help or luck of REFs matter too. Dhorasoo goal standing could have make the outcome of the match different and at the same time SHEVA penalty agaist LIVORNO match would have been set the tone of the match differently too.

Oh well, as I said, not much expectation for the season, if something good happens GREAT if not, not so much dissapointment. Because I think our swagger is gone.

Even though last year we had DEPOR fiasco, still we never lost our swagger.

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
Whew! Thank God Sheva's ok!

Let's think statistically for a moment.
All we need to catch up to Juve are two losses and a draw (considering we win our matches;)). Milan and Inter can supply the defeats, and I'm sure Juve will pick up a draw somewhere. As I said earlier, we MUST focus on our games and our games only. The key to this season is the next Milan-Juve game.
One game at a time though - Messina up next, my hopes lie with Crespo.

btw, very good post Kyara. :)

Last edited:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Kyara said:
Another Sunday, another disappointment, another idiot in a referee's disguise and another 3 points to break our hearts ... But the ultimate heart break is Sheva's injury ...
If Livorno's match wasn't shocking enough for Milan, I think yesterday was a great slap to our "winning ways" :rolleyes: Honestly I'm tired of continuous accusations with no real analysis to what the problem is, so I'll stop the finger-pointing right here and go back 2 years in time ...

- 2002-2003:
We had a strong team, though ironically not strong enough against small teams in the league, so what was our problem? No wingers ... We didn't have neither an LB nor a RB who can create chances from the flanks, our attempts were all concentrated in the centre and that's obvioulsy not the brightest way to break through the 10 man defenses in Serie A ... That year we were close, but we could not win the scudetto ...

- 2003-2004:
Milan bring in Pancaro and Cafu, two experienced wingers whom the management trusted to solve our frustrations on the sides ... The season started and along started Cafu and Pancaro to impress, especially with the arrival of Kaká whose 1 on 1 passes with Cafu seemed to be the heavenly solution for Milan's previously paralized midfield ... With Sheva upfront bombing the opponents' nets, Kaká's magical assists and Maldini-Nesta at the back, Milan seemed to be the dream team for every fan and every coach and were able to win the title with a one-in-a-lifetime points record ...

-2004-2005:
"We are the champions", "we fear no one", season started with we this, we that, a Super Coppa win and God bless the days of humility :o
- First match, disappointment? Third match, disappointment? 4 defeats, 6 draws and 12 wins doesn't sound very normal now for a team that was once called a dream team ... Take a look at these numbers and it won't sound too disastrous, but the fact that it is when you're trying to catch up with Capello's Juve ...
Who made the difference last year? Was it Cafu, Kaká, Pancaro or them all? Was it the strong determination and spirit we saw in every match, whose absence in one match against Depor costed us the Champions League?
I don't think a player will grow 'too old' in 2-3 months time and his age will all of the sudden start to affect his performance ... If they were able to pull out that performance last year then they'd definitely be able to do it this year as well, only if they have the strong will and desire to ... I no longer see the 1 on 1 passing between Kaká and Cafu, I no longer see Trilly's clever long chippers, I no longer see Kaká's long rocket-like shots which saved us many times last year, I no longer see Rino's die hard defense and I no longer see the Milan I saw last year ... As ironic as this may seem, the only one who seems to be desperate to prove himself is Dhorasoo and who undoubtedly deserves a starting position from now on ...

I don't think it's too late to wake up from the "we are the champions" comma and realize that there's a problem ... I don't think it's too late to stop Gobbi from yet another trophy to add to their endless titles ... I don't think 8 points is too much as we still have 17 weeks to go ... But let it be known that if we REALLY want this year's title, we ought to begin working this very minute, starting from management to coach and players ... They can achieve something if they want it from their hearts and work on it accordingly, but only IF ...

And who said that Sheva will be out for the rest of the season? Sheva will be fine En Sha Allah, just keep the faith ...

FORZA MILAN!!!
FORZA SHEVA!!!

Excellent post. Cafu's form is certainly a major factor. He IS our width.

One of the differences I see from last year is that we are a lot more attacking (maybe more like the 2003 season) and tend to get caught on the break as a result. We seem to be starting games faster and faster and that has led to some BIG wins goals wise (not the norm last year, compared with Roma let's say) and this year when the early goal hasn't come it's led to frustration and even conceding. But even then, let's face it, we're talking about the last 3 weeks.

Like the 2003 team, it took one smallish team to stop us and everybody else got the hint and we ended that season terribly. I think it was Chievo in that season and this year it seems Palermo gave everybody else a lesson on how you stop us.

It just seems we've left nothing as a surprise now. People have grown accustomed to Kaka and Pirlo especially, we always start with two forwards, last year we played great with one up front and just as that was looking predictable, the Lecce game and the first half of the derby, we went back with two.

The players are good enough and better than Juve's. I thought Roma last year are no worse to this year's Juve. We can really win this, if we start now. Which I think we will.

The defense does not bother me. You can always point to them when they concede to Livorno and Bologna, but you can also point to how they kept out Juve and Inter.

The ManU game which comes at the end of the month, I am getting a sense that we should not play Pirlo at Old Trafford. He is a huge strength to our game, but when we play a team of pace and fire from England away from home, I fear a Depor with him. Ambrosini at Old Trafford and Pirlo at the San Siro.

NeSTa_86

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
|*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|
i think that all that is happend because we made very big mistake in transfer market.We always buy players over 30 and now we have only pensioners in the pitch.It is very very big mistake.We have to believe to the young players like collocini and roque junior ,not to sell them.Joung players are the future,not paolo,billy and pancaro.Sorry guys but i think that paolo maldini,costacurta, pancaro, rui costa, crespo, pippo, have to gone out from milanelo.We have to buy players who are between 22-25 years old.

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
Kyara said:
-2004-2005:
"We are the champions", "we fear no one"
Great post, but I would also like to know your opinion about our "transfers" of Stam and Crespo. I personally think that Stam will never fit in Milan's defence and I can't really say anything about Crespo because I don't know if Milan will buy him or not.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thanx all :)

savicevic10 said:
Like the 2003 team, it took one smallish team to stop us and everybody else got the hint and we ended that season terribly. I think it was Chievo in that season and this year it seems Palermo gave everybody else a lesson on how you stop us.

It just seems we've left nothing as a surprise now. People have grown accustomed to Kaka and Pirlo especially, we always start with two forwards, last year we played great with one up front and just as that was looking predictable, the Lecce game and the first half of the derby, we went back with two.
That's something I was discussing with my bro a few days ago, the teams are accustomed to our style ... It takes an extensive defense with extra fast counter attacks and continuous smart fouls to break the mentality of our team ... Against Bologna, with Serginho on the left, their job became a lot easier to start their attempts from our left flank ... One thing I like about Sergio is his crossing, it seems to me Cafu and Pirlo haven't played a decent cross for ages, whereas last year we found the net so many times through headers ... Even set pieces aren't taken advantage of, corners easily wasted and Pirlo's freekicks not as accurate as before ...

savicevic10 said:
The ManU game which comes at the end of the month, I am getting a sense that we should not play Pirlo at Old Trafford. He is a huge strength to our game, but when we play a team of pace and fire from England away from home, I fear a Depor with him. Ambrosini at Old Trafford and Pirlo at the San Siro.
Against MU we ought to be very careful with set pieces and headers, that's their strength and our weakness it seems ...

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
r3dman said:
Great post, but I would also like to know your opinion about our "transfers" of Stam and Crespo. I personally think that Stam will never fit in Milan's defence and I can't really say anything about Crespo because I don't know if Milan will buy him or not.
Stam's adaption with the rest of the defenders was unfortunately affected by his injury ... His performances in the very few matches before his absence were actually starting to impress me, but sadly the injury stopped him ... To be honest, I can't state a final judgement on a player after about 4 appearances in the league ... All I can say that he's not super, but he's not too bad either and needs some more time and confidence to adapt to the defense, 'cause in the last match I felt that him and Capitano weren't that comfortable together in the centre ...
As far as Hernan's concerned, and this is even surprising to myself, but I'm not that furious with him ... When Hernan came along I never expected him to be another Shevchenko, for no one can be, but I never expected him to be another JDT either ... Instead I decided to wait and see what he's got to offer and so far I think his major problem and the one thing that he lacks is speed ... Needless to say, his passing is wonderful, his movement without the ball and vision of the pitch are impressing but the fact that he's a bit slow is affecting his goals tally ... Right now the transfer market is closed, Crespo is reality and we have to live with him for the rest of the season which isn't too problematic for me to be honest ... When I continuously asked for a new striker, which doesn't seem to happen, it is to replace JDT who could bring me a heart attack everytime he's on the pitch
dot.gif

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Arivederrcci scudetto !!!
Ciaooooo Carlo!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Kyara said:
17 weeks left, where's your spirit? :mad:

:D ;)

FORZA MILAN!!!

No spirit, something's gotta change big time, and then again we gotta expect Juve to lost all those points, I do not believe it!

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
YUGOSLAVIAN said:

nahh I dont think they will sack him even if he fails in CL also .. he has won so much with Milan and deserves to be till end of his contract ..

Its the 2nd match tonight that I will skip it of Milan.. I want to take a break for a wile..

FORZA MILAN!!! :D

redondo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona, Rivera, Redondo, Baresi, Riquelme, Aimar, Lucho, Mascherano, Tevez, Maxi, Pupi, Rosales
haha...stams 4 appearences not enough to comment on him and coloccini's 2 appearences gggggggggggggooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddd enough to coment on him and call him a disaster.sometimes i think some of you are too precious.too much of commentry too little insight.
like my old friend savicvicec10 said
It just seems we've left nothing as a surprise now. People have grown accustomed to Kaka and Pirlo especially
you mean a football team only wins footbal when they have a surprise.okey next game play brocchi
and esajeas and dohsaro on enganche role..put sergio ...then we will have a surprise for opposition. not only for opposition but for all. i still cant imagine 'surprise' will work.

Reaction score
YUGOSLAVIAN said:

im new in this forum but there still long way to go before giving the scudetto to juve.
8.5 - milan against juve in san siro... this will be the time to show our strength... the money time

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
kyara said:
Honestly I'm tired of continuous accusations with no real analysis to what the problem is, so I'll stop the finger-pointing right here and go back 2 years in time …
OK, all polemics about retirement homes + deals aside for a bit - isn't all that 'analysis' old news ? I recall many discussions of Milan's lack of width back then, of Milan's slow, strictly central buildup (the name Jankulovski was first tossed into our discussions in 2003), the ups + downs of Rui's form (will he ever score ? etc) etc. And I can't help but being surprised how little has been done in the meantime to address + mend said weakness. Sure, we have Kaka' as our 'prodigy' + heir to Rui, we have Pancaro and Cafu, 2 players in the twilight of their career who have certainly done their utmost in adding a new dimension to our play. Notwithstanding their success last season I had my doubts regarding their longevity, they would serve as temporary patch ups at best, for 1 season, maybe 2. It's their 2nd season with us, + the worries of us doubters have proven justified + valid - we already seem back at square one (Cafu has had quite a few off matches this season + Pancaro is a joke) + the issue of width will have to be addressed again in the summer. Should we really land Jankulovski he will be 29 by then... Ok, I stop already :D

kyara said:
I don't think a player will grow 'too old' in 2-3 months time and his age will all of the sudden start to affect his performance ... If they were able to pull out that performance last year then they'd definitely be able to do it this year as well, only if they have the strong will and desire to …
I think that's a bit of 'naïve thinking' by people our age ;) Losing the touch can happen dramatically fast, literally overnight, once s.o. has hit the wrong side of 30, or even earlier. Zizou, Rivaldo, del Piero, our very own Pancaro (maybe as a result of his injury/surgery) + also Stam come to mind...
With this in mind, + also taking into account that Pancaro's and Cafu's scope isn't as limited as that of a static central defender, the form slump doesn't appear so inexplicably surprising anymore.

I'm cautiously optimistic both will manage to retrieve last years form temporarily (Cafu at least had a good match again against Messina), but we should be prepared to find their in-form intervals to become shorter.

Another aspect that tends to be overlooked in this context is how the wear + tear due to injuries + lengthy recuperation affects s.o. physically as well as mentally. Not only does your body's capacity to regenerate decrease, you also become more aware and protective of your body + maybe avoid situations as simple as the proverbial wrong step that could put an abrupt end to your career. Some 20 or 25-year old wouldn't even waste a single thought on this and go for the kamikaze tackle or bicycle kick acrobatics, you hardly ever see a 35-year old equally daring ;)

So if our senior players are in need of a break to recharge their battery + regain their form they should be provided by the club with an opportunity to do so while our capable + well-balanced 2nd string should take over. Unfortunately the management has given little thought to all the eventualities that can be encountered throughout a season, that's why we find our 2nd string in a state of imbalance or even non-existence (right flank).

Milan's current policy of extending contracts of 34-year olds is really hard to fathom. You might not win trophies with a team full of 20-year olds, but a team of 30somethings won't win anything either. You can't forever compensate decreasing fitness, sharpness, velocity etc with experience or willpower.

kyara said:
I don't think it's too late to wake up from the "we are the champions" comma and realize that there's a problem ... I don't think it's too late to stop Gobbi from yet another trophy to add to their endless titles ... I don't think 8 points is too much as we still have 17 weeks to go ... But let it be known that if we REALLY want this year's title, we ought to begin working this very minute, starting from management to coach and players ... They can achieve something if they want it from their hearts and work on it accordingly, but only IF …
Lil off-topic: I'm always slightly amused when forum members scold other forum members for their lack of hope + support. Critical comments, completely justified after a bad match, IMO are motivating, not discouraging.

Anyway, it's entirely up to the individual player to wake up, to stop believing his own hype, to fight + give his best in every second of every match. But are they really still hungry enough after the trophies won, the salary rise, the contract extension, the cover stories ?

I don't write them off yet + Messina was certainly a good start, now hopefully they won't relapse into their old ways too soon ;)

savicevic10 said:
Cafu's form is certainly a major factor. He IS our width.
He is, and that's sad enough. Sad enough for more than one reason:

- because a 34 year old is expected to perform at the highest level both defensively + offensively from the first to the last match day
- because someone in charge forgot to make sure there is adequate cover
- because our so-called width is a very one-sided affair since nothing seems to work effectively enough along the left flank, neither Pancaro, nor Kaladze, nor Maldini or Serginho
- and because this constellation as a whole makes us rather vulnerable sometimes + predictable all the time

NeSTa_86

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
|*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|
that was bad match,but now we show to the whole world who are milan players

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
OK, all polemics about retirement homes + deals aside for a bit - isn't all that 'analysis' old news ? I recall many discussions of Milan's lack of width back then, of Milan's slow, strictly central buildup (the name Jankulovski was first tossed into our discussions in 2003), the ups + downs of Rui's form (will he ever score ? etc) etc. And I can't help but being surprised how little has been done in the meantime to address + mend said weakness. Sure, we have Kaka' as our 'prodigy' + heir to Rui, we have Pancaro and Cafu, 2 players in the twilight of their career who have certainly done their utmost in adding a new dimension to our play. Notwithstanding their success last season I had my doubts regarding their longevity, they would serve as temporary patch ups at best, for 1 season, maybe 2. It's their 2nd season with us, + the worries of us doubters have proven justified + valid - we already seem back at square one (Cafu has had quite a few off matches this season + Pancaro is a joke) + the issue of width will have to be addressed again in the summer. Should we really land Jankulovski he will be 29 by then... Ok, I stop already :D

I think that's a bit of 'naïve thinking' by people our age ;) Losing the touch can happen dramatically fast, literally overnight, once s.o. has hit the wrong side of 30, or even earlier. Zizou, Rivaldo, del Piero, our very own Pancaro (maybe as a result of his injury/surgery) + also Stam come to mind...
With this in mind, + also taking into account that Pancaro's and Cafu's scope isn't as limited as that of a static central defender, the form slump doesn't appear so inexplicably surprising anymore.

I'm cautiously optimistic both will manage to retrieve last years form temporarily (Cafu at least had a good match again against Messina), but we should be prepared to find their in-form intervals to become shorter.

Another aspect that tends to be overlooked in this context is how the wear + tear due to injuries + lengthy recuperation affects s.o. physically as well as mentally. Not only does your body's capacity to regenerate decrease, you also become more aware and protective of your body + maybe avoid situations as simple as the proverbial wrong step that could put an abrupt end to your career. Some 20 or 25-year old wouldn't even waste a single thought on this and go for the kamikaze tackle or bicycle kick acrobatics, you hardly ever see a 35-year old equally daring ;)

So if our senior players are in need of a break to recharge their battery + regain their form they should be provided by the club with an opportunity to do so while our capable + well-balanced 2nd string should take over. Unfortunately the management has given little thought to all the eventualities that can be encountered throughout a season, that's why we find our 2nd string in a state of imbalance or even non-existence (right flank).

Milan's current policy of extending contracts of 34-year olds is really hard to fathom. You might not win trophies with a team full of 20-year olds, but a team of 30somethings won't win anything either. You can't forever compensate decreasing fitness, sharpness, velocity etc with experience or willpower.
I'm certainly with you regarding adding some young blood to our team, especially for LB and RB positions and Marek MUST be in our squad this summer ... What I was talking about in the post above, however, is the current time after the transfer markets closed its doors ... Right now those are our only players, regardless of how old they are, and the ones we should trust and depend on if we don't wanna let this title slip yet again ... I'm not really sure about Pancaro with the injuries as you mentioned, but as far as Cafu's concerned I think that he still has a lot to offer and that was obvious against Messina and the minutes he played against Lazio ... With Carletto's new 3-4-1-2 formation, which could and should be used against small teams in my opinion, Cafu will not have to go to the far back as much as he does in the 4-3-1-2 formation because there will be 3 covering at the back ... He will still be helping with the defense on the right flank of course, but it would not require the so-much effort he makes going back and forth all the time ... Sergio can take over the left flank instead of Seedorf in this case, although Sergio himself is rather moody as well, but against the boring defensive tactics, this could be pretty useful ...

FORZA MILAN!!!

Schedule