Alberto Gilardino Thread

Will Gilardino regain his Parma form now that he left us?

• Total voters

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne said:
Morientes is class. Better than Gilardino. Far better imo.

Im not basing my opion on last season, though that quite helps, doesnt it? 10 goals in the league and 9 from only 12 games in the Champions League. Very nice.

10 goals in the league are NOT impressive.

And you know I don't give a sh!t about how many he scored 10 years ago but thanks for the stats anyway. It doesn't prove, however, that he is *class*, just that he *was* a rather consistent scorer when he had a brilliant support system, and I'm sure you agree with me that a brilliant or just better support system would also boost Gilardino's tally further.. Btw, I'd like to draw your attention slightly more to his past 3 seasons. A *class* player doesn't content himself with rotting on the bench 2 years when a situation becomes more competitive, he either fights or leaves + proves his *class* somewhere else. He proved a little bit last season during Monaco's CL campaign when he was desperate to catch the attention of the national team coach + potential employers but his poor count + 'couldn't care less' attitude in the championnat aren't rectified or redeemed by those goals. It takes more than 10 goals in France to prove he's up to Milan requirements.

One thing I concede: I'd rather have him than WilTURD who has been linked with Milan according to the rumour mills.

1-0

Reaction score
He proved a little bit last season during Monaco's CL campaign when he was desperate to catch the attention of the national team coach + potential employers but his poor count + 'couldn't care less' attitude in the championnat aren't rectified or redeemed by those goals.

That's right. Top Champions League scorer - who cares about that?

Mori left one of the biggest clubs in the world for a football backwater and inspired them to the Champions League final, by far the biggest game in the club's history.

His goals also helped Madrid to 3 CL finals as well - something they've failed to do since the arrival of Ronaldo and subsequent relegation of Morientes to the bench.

If you think Morientes is anything but sheer class - great finisher with foot and head - and your favorite player is Pippo f__king Inzaghi then you're a laughing stock, to be honest. :D

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
(teams); Milan, Barca, Man Utd, South Melbourne
Passion and others.

Where do you rate this bloke in relation compared to other top strikers in his age group (under 22).

Adriano, Torres, Martins, Cassano, Saviola, Baros, Ibrahimovic, Rooney etc.

I would rate him better than any of the above.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
1-0 said:
That's right. Top Champions League scorer - who cares about that?

I care about it as much as you care about Inzaghi's 12 of 2002/03.

Additionally I care about everyday biz in Serie A + to me a player who has actually already achieved sth here + offers sth perspectivly seems more suited for the job. But that's just me, others are less unbiased + prefer their lil pet player.

1-0 said:
Mori left one of the biggest clubs in the world for a football backwater and inspired them to the Champions League final, by far the biggest game in the club's history.

No arguing, except football backwater sounds a tad too conceited.

Again, the football world for me doesn't end with the CL + Mori as u lovingly refer to him didn't seem very interested in performing on an equally high level in the championship. You know, he could have helped Monaco winning the title if he had cared. But the spotlight wasn't as glaring + nobody of interest was watching...

I'm not fond of players who have all that potential + talent but don't care to prove it 100% every time they enter the pitch. It doesn't mean I deem them 'bad players', just players with an attitude prob + therefore I prefer s.o. like Inzaghi who is not blessed with the amount of natural talent like others but made the best of what he's got, didn't sulk away 2 years of his career + does give 100% every f^ckin time he goes out there + has scored a couple of goals in his career as well, despite not being the world's most gifted footballer..

1-0 said:
If you think Morientes is anything but sheer class - great finisher with foot and head - and your favorite player is Pippo f__king Inzaghi then you're a laughing stock, to be honest. :D

First, cut out the insults. I've let one pass, I won't let this or any other one pass.

Second, the talk was not about Morientes, but about who would serve Milan better, Gilardino or Morientes, and I gave my view on this, not generally on your lil darling.

Third, *class* according to my humble opinion is not an attribute that is rewarded to a player after some great seasons + remains valid forever, it comes with an expiry date + has to be earned anew every season. Your definition may differ but according to mine Morientes hasn't fully proven his 'class status' in a while.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne said:
Passion and others.

Where do you rate this bloke in relation compared to other top strikers in his age group (under 22).

1. Adriano
2. Gilardino + Cassano
3. the rest

:D

My preference for Gilardino is really just based on his Serie A experience. From the list above, I'd take Adriano, Torres, Martins, Cassano + Baros as well.. Rooney + Saviola + Zlatan I'd pass. Also, you can't really compare them, their roles are different blabla. Saviola isn't a player for Serie A, Zlatan.. I just hate his guts + don't want big ego + attitude players on the team.. Rooney.. LOL, talk about a waste of money considering he will head down Gazza's path before long ;)

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
[/quote]One thing I concede: I'd rather have him than WilTURD who has been linked with Milan according to the rumour mills.[/quote]

Wiltord?...yikes!...id rather have no1 at all thn have him!..hope its not true...as for gilar ..err..i dont think he will come this season...probably we will get him or torres next season.....erm...ive also been really impressed wif tevez!..he has been super in the olympics and copa...probably can get him on a cheap...like we did..for kaka....erm...........

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
One thing I concede: I'd rather have him than WilTURD who has been linked with Milan according to the rumour mills.[/quote]

Wiltord?...yikes!...id rather have no1 at all thn have him!..hope its not true...as for gilar ..err..i dont think he will come this season...probably we will get him or torres next season.....erm...ive also been really impressed wif tevez!..he has been super in the olympics and copa...probably can get him on a cheap...like we did..for kaka....erm...........[/quote]

Tevez wont go anywhere cheap.

Everyone knows he is a good player. He would be like Luis Fabino imo. 15 million pounds +

I hope we dont get Wiltord :cry: . Bloody rumors.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Always money...I repeat it to you, Real is a machine to generate money. It is a company..." - Fernando Morientes

It took him a while to figure it out. Did he assume it's a charitable organisation ?

1-0

Reaction score
I care about it as much as you care about Inzaghi's 12 of 2002/03.

10 actually.

RVN scored 12 and was top scorer despite playing 3 fewer games than Pippo "timed the run to perfection" Inzaghi.

2 of Pippo's came in the qualifiers which don't count. :D

I'm not fond of players who have all that potential + talent but don't care to prove it 100% every time they enter the pitch.

Third, *class* according to my humble opinion is not an attribute that is rewarded to a player after some great seasons + remains valid forever, it comes with an expiry date + has to be earned anew every season. Your definition may differ but according to mine Morientes hasn't fully proven his 'class status' in a while.

I can agree with the first one, but the second is ludicrous. It may be justified to criticise Mori for his comparatively poor strike rate in Ligue 1 - that's one thing - but when the very same player is top CL scorer, whose goals dumped out the likes of Real and Chelsea and was arguably player of the tournament, your wider point about Mori not proving his class is completely lost.

First, cut out the insults. I've let one pass, I won't let this or any other one pass.

Bit rich coming from someone who called me a troll in response to my very first post.

Apologise and we'll hear no more of it. :D

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Gianluigi Lentini, Marco Van Basten, Alberigo Evani, Paolo Maldini & IL Capitano
1-0 said:

1-0 can't you post your lines without insulting superstars.I don't know what exactly your problem is :o :rolleyes: ...but whatever it is,settle it. :tongue:

Melbourne said:
Passion and others.

Saviola and Torres plays in liga,Cassano,Adriano,Martins and Gila plays in Serie a,Baros and Rooney plays in EPl and Ibrahimovis plays in Dutch league.With the difference of the playing styles in the leagues i can't really compare them.IMO a serie'a striker doing well in the league should be better than most players of other leagues.Adriano and Cassano are top class quality.Both can fit in anywhere imo.

btw all these mentioned names are exciting strikers.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milan_my_love said:
Saviola and Torres plays in liga,Cassano,Adriano,Martins and Gila plays in Serie a,Baros and Rooney plays in EPl and Ibrahimovis plays in Dutch league.With the difference of the playing styles in the leagues i can't really compare them.IMO a serie'a striker doing well in the league should be better than most players of other leagues.Adriano and Cassano are top class quality.Both can fit in anywhere imo.

btw all these mentioned names are exciting strikers.

Good list wasnt it :D :cool:

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Gianluigi Lentini, Marco Van Basten, Alberigo Evani, Paolo Maldini & IL Capitano
Melbourne said:

It is so.

Perhaps i will like to see Tevez and Rosales on that list too even though they aren't playing in Europe.Tevez particularly is a gem and in my personal opinion he is the most promising player in the world right now.I perdict he will be one of the biggest of names of soccer in coming years.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Passion for *9* said:
savicevic10 said:
I'd like Gilardino, but he's extremely overrated at the moment and that will relect in the price for him. I'd wait and see what he does this season.
I need more than goals against Japan, Ghana and Iraq to know for sure if he's going to do it all again

I don't think you were that overcritical with Sheva when he joined Milan but bought into the frenzy immediately without wasting a thought on his rare international 'challenges' with his national side..

Gilardino, coming off the bench until Adriano's injury + subsequent departure midseason, scored 23, almost as many as Sheva + has become the best scorer Parma have ever had in their Serie A days + years, more successful than Crespo in his best (+last) season at Parma. I certainly would not lose sleep if Milan signed him, let alone demand more proof of performance + would prefer him to erase your doubts when playing for + not against Milan.

Compared to some current pricetags of young forwards in the EPL Gilardino's is moderate.

Again you just see my name on a post and so feel you have to respond with drivel that opposes it. What are you talking about with Shevchenko? I didn't even understand that sentence. Not in relation to the topic anyway.

I just said that I'd be interested to see what Gilardino does this season before we throw a load of money around. I like him but I mean, if you're just going off last season, I'd say Javier Chevanton has a better claim or as good a claim. Not your type though? ;)

Certainly a goal scoring Olympics against the under priviledged isn't quite enough for me yet, especially when we seem like we have a lot of forwards and so we can afford to wait.

As for your jibes about Rooney, eighteen years old and already a promising international career at senior level, anything other than English and everyone would be wetting their pants over him.

It's boring. It really is.

redondo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona, Rivera, Redondo, Baresi, Riquelme, Aimar, Lucho, Mascherano, Tevez, Maxi, Pupi, Rosales
milan_my_love said:
Melbourne said:

It is so.

Perhaps i will like to see Tevez and Rosales on that list too even though they aren't playing in Europe.Tevez particularly is a gem and in my personal opinion he is the most promising player in the world right now.I perdict he will be one of the biggest of names of soccer in coming years.
Tevez on sale for 13.3m.likely to join palm.it shall be cool signing.
Rosales is also available in market :D likely heading to Spain.
gilardinho was brilliant in athens.i liked his runs.
any one two or even all three most welcome if Galiliani wants to be names Bravo. :D

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
savicevic10 said:
Again you just see my name on a post and so feel you have to respond with drivel that opposes it.
Are you twisting reality again ? Look above. Who posted right after me ? Opposing everything I said ? And that's been going on forever, whether you quote my msg or prefer not to + just take a side-swipe or dedicate a whole offtopic post to me just to belittle. You certainly won't stop me from posting + btw, to a neutral bystander you look like the obsessive fool, not I.

savicevic10 said:
It's boring. It really is.
I post whatever the f^ck I want. If you need entertainment go out, there's plenty of it in Vegas.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
1-0 said:
10 actually.
RVN scored 12 and was top scorer despite playing 3 fewer games than Pippo "timed the run to perfection" Inzaghi.
2 of Pippo's came in the qualifiers which don't count.
They damn sure count the world for Milan. And they count in every statistic. And most certainly in mine. Just like Smith's goals in the CL quali count for you. You still haven't figured how to apply identical criteria to friend + foe which begs + answers the question whose vacuum between the ears is larger.

I can agree with the first one, but the second is ludicrous. It may be justified to criticise Mori for his comparatively poor strike rate in Ligue 1 - that's one thing - but when the very same player is top CL scorer, whose goals dumped out the likes of Real and Chelsea and was arguably player of the tournament, your wider point about Mori not proving his class is completely lost.
Any point is lost on someone who, due to his bias, is not capable of rating players with some objectivity. A class player would not allow himself to rot on a bench for 2 years, a class player doesn't play his league games half-assedly. Class is not defined by goal tally in an arbitrarily selected competition. Sometimes truth is simple: He hasn't fully proved 'class' in a long while.

Bit rich coming from someone who called me a troll in response to my very first post.
Apologise and we'll hear no more of it.
You must be kidding, troll.

1-0

Reaction score
They damn sure count the world for Milan. And they count in every statistic. And most certainly in mine. Just like Smith's goals in the CL quali count for you.

That isn't the point. Counting for me or you personally isn't what's at issue when we add up goals. We do not count goals in the qualifiers because some teams and some players do not play in the qualifiers - therefore it isn't objective to include those goals. Jesus, you'd think this was basic common sense but obviously not! Which leads me on to...

You still haven't figured how to apply identical criteria to friend + foe which begs + answers the question whose vacuum between the ears is larger.

Firstly, this sentence doesn't make a scrap of sense. Learn to articulate yourself properly. It's pointless being bi or tri lingual if you just talk rubbish in all 2 or 3 of the languages.

Identical criteria? Back on that again are we? You didn't have a clue how to define that previously - indeed, the only identical criteria whereby we could measure the merits of the 2 players under discussion (goals scored and general performance levels in a range of competitions) disproved the very point you were arguing for. To that, you had no idea how to respond. I find that's a recurring pattern: you say something dogmatic, it gets disproved, you are exposed as someone who simply talks crap. And what have we now? The same sad and confused adolescent blather.

Any point is lost on someone who, due to his bias, is not capable of rating players with some objectivity. A class player would not allow himself to rot on a bench for 2 years, a class player doesn't play his league games half-assedly. Class is not defined by goal tally in an arbitrarily selected competition.

Arbitrarily selected competition? Another phrase of yours which sounds nice but is, in actual fact, complete twaddle.

This arbitrarily selected competition just happens to be the biggest and best in club football. It seperates the men from the boys. I think finishing top scorer in that counts for something. Me biased? Well aren't we all? You try developing a point without bias - I think you'll find it's impossible. You're biased because you refuse to rate a player as class who took his little side to the CL final with his highest goal tally in the competition, limping around on the fact that he didn't score as many in the sodding French league. Dear oh dear.

Morientes didn't allow himself to rot on the bench. He stayed at the club he loves to battle for his place. Who was his replacement, Passion? Ronaldo? He's a bit of a history with injuries hasn't he? So Mori was perfectly justified in staying. And - unsurprisingly - there are 2 elements to your argument (and I use the term merely formally) that don't make sense together:

Mori chose to rot on the bench for 2 seasons

vs

Mori is a limelight player

So why didn't he disappear to any old side in the Champions League 2 seasons earlier then? Duh? Muddled thinking, Passion, unusually.

Sometimes truth is simple: He hasn't fully proved 'class' in a long while.

Sometimes people are simple as well. You'd know that better than most.

Morientes proved his class with some scintillating displays in the CL last year. What would people have said if he scored 30 goals in Ligue 1 and didn't score any and played crap in the CL, causing Monaco to go out in the first stage? You'd be saying "well he couldn't cut it in the CL". Pathetic.

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
We have gotten a bit off topic; Namely Gilardino's fitness as a Milan player.

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rygaar said:
We have gotten a bit off topic; Namely Gilardino's fitness as a Milan player.
by the courtesy of 1-0.

I may be wrong in my observation though but 1-0 seems to oppose any post coming from *Passion for 9* and at most times he has to get off-topic. :sleep:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Again, it's evolving. I imagine people are still allowed to post about Gilardino in here, yes?

I imagine the "this thread is going off topic" seems to be the saviour for some people :)

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
savicevic10 said:
I imagine the "this thread is going off topic" seems to be the saviour for some people :)

It depends which way you take things. :D

btw I assume you like these 1-0 post.Don't you?

Last edited:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milan_my_love said:
It depends which way you take things. :D

btw I assume you like these 1-0 post.Don't you?

I like posters who articulate their arguments, yes.

It makes it a better read.

1-0

Reaction score
by the courtesy of 1-0.

I may be wrong in my observation though but 1-0 seems to oppose any post coming from *Passion for 9* and at most times he has to get off-topic.

Well that's probably got something to do with the fact that Passion for 9 was talking complete shite about Morientes The Magnificent, who more than vindicated himself last season. :D

Picture the scene: you're a striker who rarely gets the credit he deserves; you're loaned out to a minnow to try and resurrect your career; you end up top CL scorer, scoring twice against and dumping out the club who own you along the way to the CL final.

And here is someone saying you haven't shown your class?

It's enough to make a cat laugh! :D

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Hey friends forget Gilardino .. Cassano seems in our way to come .. I just read in channel4.com ..

Sandro Nesta

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Maldini!, Inzaghi, Gattuso
No I don't see him coming altough I hope not. I hope we buy Fernando Torres next year cause he's so good

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Sandro Nesta said:
No I don't see him coming altough I hope not. I hope we buy Fernando Torres next year cause he's so good

Torres , Cassano or Gilardino is same for me :jump: whoever comes will shine .. ( ups better not to talk before :gun: )

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Of Cassano, Gilardino, and Torres, I think Gilardino is the option that presents the least risk and therefore the best pick, although Torres would be my personal biased choice.

For all three, their talent is undisputable. Cassano however worries me a bit. It is true that he is more versatile than the other two; he seems to be comfortable as a playmaker as well as up front. However, unless I am wrong, he has an attitude problem, and can be temperamental, impulsive, or insubordinate. I distinctly remember an episode last year in which he stormed off the training pitch, disrupted the whole training session and embarassed the coaching staff because he was unhappy about something or other. Sure he apologized later. Whether it was sincere or not is beyond my capacity to discern, but such an outburst leaves a sour taste. I am worried that Cassano might be a player of Nicola Anelka's mold; super-talented, but with heavy baggage.

I personally love Torres, but maybe i should admit that I probably am infatuated with the concept of Torres that I have, even if I believe this concept is reflective of the player he actually is. What impresses me beyond the God given talent he shares with Cassano and Gilardino, is that he is even younger but even more importantly he has demonstrated good leadership skills. Is he not the captain of Atletico Madrid?

I call Gilardino the option presenting the least risk because he has demonstrated his ability to tear italian defenses apart, something Torres has not done and Cassano has only done to a lesser extent. Gilardino stepped in almost half-way through the season, and netted goals at a stupendous rate. Had he not scored 4 goals to punctuate the end of the season, his overall performance would still be deserving of great respect.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'd take Cassano every time. Gilardino is the latest talented Italian striker but Cassano's got a bit of genius about him.

He should leave Roma before he catches that disease off Totti of failing consistently on the big occasion. He should play for a big club that wants to win things and not constantly be concerned about putting one over on the "Northern three". Roma has a small club mentality and it's in Cassano's interests to leave.

Imagine
Kaka-----------Cassano
-------Sheva---------

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Rygaar said:
For all three, their talent is undisputable. Cassano however worries me a bit. It is true that he is more versatile than the other two; he seems to be comfortable as a playmaker as well as up front. However, unless I am wrong, he has an attitude problem, and can be temperamental, impulsive, or insubordinate.

Typical southern Italian temperament I'd say, accompanied by a bit of immaturity, a bit of obstinacy + insecurity masked as roguish behaviour. A smart coach will use it in the team's favour.

From my 1-year experience with untamed kids ( :D) I know that responsibility + trust will work miracles. They wanna prove themselves ? Let them + don't restrain them beyond reason. Cappello is a discipline freak, so they clashed over rather minor stuff IMO (like that training incident).

Völler did sth remarkably smart during Roma's friendly against C2 team Lodigiani, he handed Cassano the captain's armband in the 2nd half + his trust was repaid with an excellent performance. It doesn't mean he should be appointed captain or anything similarly ridiculous but that recognition + a pat on the back might work better than powertripping enforcement of concentration camp-like rules.

Last edited:

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
Passion for *9* said:
Typical southern Italian temperament I'd say, accompanied by a bit of immaturity, a bit of obstinacy + insecurity masked as roguish behaviour. A smart coach will use it in the team's favour.

From my 1-year experience with untamed kids ( :D) I know that responsibility + trust will work miracles. They wanna prove themselves ? Let them + don't restrain them beyond reason. Cappello is a discipline freak, so they clashed over rather minor stuff IMO (like that training incident).

Völler did sth remarkably smart during Roma's friendly against C2 team Lodigiani, he handed Cassano the captain's armband in the 2nd half + his trust was repaid with an excellent performance. It doesn't mean he should be appointed captain or anything similarly ridiculous but that recognition + a pat on the back might work better than powertripping enforcement of concentration camp-like rules.
I couldn't agree more and I think Fascetti realized that as well and placed much of his trust in Cassano during his Bari days ... I also believe that the confident atmosphere at Milan will make it easier for Carletto to put Cassano's temper in his pocket ... With so many experienced players in the team for Cassano to look up to, in addition to the winning spirit (if we resumed on the path of victory En Sha Allah), his childish behaviour days could become a long forgotten history :cool:

Schedule