Week 10: Milan vs Spal 31/10/19 21:00 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
If this Duarte experiment works out, we could potentially play Caldara in his most comfortable role as the sweeper when he gets back:

--Theo------------Biglia/Bennacer----

--------Romagnoli----Caldara-----Duarte----

That looks like a much better defensive structure than anything we have now.

chechen_milan

Perettisimus Vulgaris
Reaction score
A report in today's Gazzetta dello Sport doesn't paint a positive picture of his statistics. Suso, known for his ability to drive past players, has lost the ball whilst dribbling on 11 occasions so far this term.

Furthermore, he's lost the ball 32 times, more than any other Milan player, and has also won fewer tackles than any teammate (2 from 7).

The most damning statistic is perhaps Suso's lack of shots on goal, as after nine rounds he's attempted seven, compared to 17 at the same point last season.

Since joining Milan in 2015, he's never reached this point in the campaign without scoring at least once, but has yet to find the net.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
EIGpJNHX4AAe3ZV

#nosuso

chechen_milan

Perettisimus Vulgaris
Reaction score
do you guys think this team is suited to play different formations? or is it only 4-3-3?
is there any chance this team could play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3? My point is, nothing is happening for us with the attacking players in a 4-3-3. They are clueless. Nothing. I mean, even chelsea are playing much better with the transfer ban and some high school kids. wtf?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
You can call it what you like, but what we've been playing since Pioli took over is more a 3-4-2-1. Theo is not a defender. One of the reasons for our failures in the last two games is that our right back cannot play well as a 3rd center back. The team is woefully unbalanced at the moment, and in order to benefit from Theo's offensive talent, Pioli needs to find that balance quickly.

chechen_milan

Perettisimus Vulgaris
Reaction score
You can call it what you like, but what we've been playing since Pioli took over is more a 3-4-2-1. Theo is not a defender. One of the reasons for our failures in the last two games is that our right back cannot play well as a 3rd center back. The team is woefully unbalanced at the moment, and in order to benefit from Theo's offensive talent, Pioli needs to find that balance quickly.

good point

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Donnarumma

Duarte
Musacchio
Romagnoli
Theo H

Krunic
Bennacer
Jack

Suso
Piatek
Calhanoglu

That Brescianini kid should have his debut tomorrow, coming off the bench. May be another 'first months of the 2016/17 season Locatelli'..

chechen_milan

Perettisimus Vulgaris
Reaction score
Donnarumma

Duarte
Musacchio
Romagnoli
Theo H

Krunic
Bennacer
Jack

Suso
Piatek
Calhanoglu

That Brescianini kid should have his debut tomorrow, coming off the bench. May be another 'first months of the 2016/17 season Locatelli'..

why suso? do you enjoy pain? :D

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score

:thumbsup:

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
You can travel all around the world and when u will back u will always find this same SHIIIIIT with new Milan managers.

1- Duarte should play alongside Roma. Musacchio was already tried and did good as RB once.

2- Bonnaventura + Bennacer + Kessie playing together :fp: We better start praying because this is the definition of struggling. It will be the one man show contest. Krunic is a better passer than Kessie, Bennacer a better passer than Biglia, keep those 2 with Paqueta.

3- Stop fckinnnnnnnnnnnn play suso at RW. Leao and Piatek should play together and behind them Hakan.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva

Correct :thumbsup:

We've been defending with 4 and attacking with 3 at the back since he took over, with a sporadic run forward from the RB here and there.

Attacking setup

Defensive shape

Last Game's defensive shape for large periods

To call how we defend a shape is also slightly incorrect as we try to press quite man oriented and don't usually sit in a shape and cover space like we used to under Gattuso. This is much more of a man oriented, lopsided unbalanced attacking approach which needs a little more balance.

I applaud Pioli for going this route offensively, but think we also need to develop a defensive game which isn't just about man oriented pressing and duels and add in a little of the Gattuso version of sitting in a mid block and covering the spaces zonally. It is an easier defensive setup to learn and far less tiring, and will hide the athletic limitations of some of our players.

Mix the high pressing with the covering of space and I think we'll be more competitive for longer periods of the game, as this team isn't good enough in possession to rest on the ball to play a constant pressing style.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Gattuso's defensive phase was quite good, we looked solid even when the opponent was bombarding us. Too bad we didn't build up on that and just enforce the attack.

It would've probably been his next step, had we kept him and given the necessary funds.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm much more confident with the Gazzetta lineup here. Bonaventura adds some much needed smartness and maturity to the midfield. Duarte is a CB who should be stable as the 3rd man in the defence unlike Calabria.

This is exactly the XI I'd like to see with equal outlook on either Bennacer or Biglia.

The pre-injury Bona is just the goalscoring attacking midfielder we need for this 5-1 fantasia. His gigantic fitness problems aside, I think arriving in the box from the left(not necessarily wide) is essential to his game. He's not the same player on the right side. But that goes for pretty much every right-footed player if we expect goals from them, including Kessie who has spent the last years embarrassing himself with his weaker foot or trying the impossible with his right.
I'd rather not move Kessie back to RCM for this and the Theo reason.

tenor.gif

But tbh if Duarte is the RCB/RB then the previous Suso-less, Leao-less lineup would've perhaps lacked central/wide targetmen for these type of home games.

Still I'd much rather go a path that doesn't include Suso.

Correct :thumbsup:

We've been defending with 4 and attacking with 3 at the back since he took over, with a sporadic run forward from the RB here and there.

Attacking setup

Defensive shape

Last Game's defensive shape for large periods

To call how we defend a shape is also slightly incorrect as we try to press quite man oriented and don't usually sit in a shape and cover space like we used to under Gattuso. This is much more of a man oriented, lopsided unbalanced attacking approach which needs a little more balance.

I applaud Pioli for going this route offensively, but think we also need to develop a defensive game which isn't just about man oriented pressing and duels and add in a little of the Gattuso version of sitting in a mid block and covering the spaces zonally. It is an easier defensive setup to learn and far less tiring, and will hide the athletic limitations of some of our players.

Mix the high pressing with the covering of space and I think we'll be more competitive for longer periods of the game, as this team isn't good enough in possession to rest on the ball to play a constant pressing style.

:thumbsup:

Agree about the balancing, but the pressing shouldn't be toned down just because Suso and Paqueta can't handle it. It's not even intense compared to how the best Serie A teams press at the moment.
If some players can't even handle this then they need to be replaced not accommodated.

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gattuso's defensive phase was quite good, we looked solid even when the opponent was bombarding us. Too bad we didn't build up on that and just enforce the attack.

It would've probably been his next step, had we kept him and given the necessary funds.

He made our team solid. We almost didn’t concede.
And we were one RW away from having a better attack. (Lozano or Ribéry)

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Both Petagna and Paloschi playing against us? We're fucked

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don‘t think the main goal of the setup is to make Theo look good, it‘s more about having 2 AMs and occupied wings in the attacking phase.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Probable lineup vs. SPAL (4-3-3):
Donnarumma G; Duarte, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Theo; Paquetá, Bennacer, Kessie; Castillejo/Suso, Piatek, Calhanoglu [Sky]

Milan midfield against SPAL could be composed of Krunic, Bennacer and Bonaventura [Sky]

Sky?

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:thumbsup::star:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Bench suso, biglia, mussachio and conti/calabria

Theo - roma - duarte - boriniho

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Well seems Pioli is trying to find a RB & a player to replace Suso.
But what with Krunic & Rebic ?
Also why not fielding Hakan on the right which lead to am easier job finding a LW.
With the way Kessie & Paq are playing i would easily go with a mid of Bona-Ben-Krunic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Well seems Pioli is trying to find a RB & a player to replace Suso.
But what with Krunic & Rebic ?
Also why not fielding Hakan on the right which lead to am easier job finding a LW.
With the way Kessie & Paq are playing i would easily go with a mid of Bona-Ben-Krunic.

That midfield trio lacks muscle and cannot last beyond 60 mins and SPAL are normally a physical team.

Also Kessie is not as bad as some are making him out to be. But I think he is someone who should be substituted midway through the second. His concentration level always drops towards the end but because of his good stamina coaches think he is ok finish

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
That midfield trio lacks muscle and cannot last beyond 60 mins and SPAL are normally a physical team.

Also Kessie is not as bad as some are making him out to be. But I think he is someone who should be substituted midway through the second. His concentration level always drops towards the end but because of his good stamina coaches think he is ok finish

We need Kessie in DM position channeling with Bennacer.
It will fit Pioli's system.

rocknrolla1v1

FORZA MILAN
Reaction score
bring back GATTUSO please! who the fuck is Giampaolo and Pioli.. who the fuck are these guys.. NEVER HEARD OF THEM!

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
All I want for this thursday evening that will save my week is for Milan to win.

It's so sick how much of an impact Milan has on my well being. I could win 10 million euros in the lottery and still my week would be ruined if Milan lose their game...

Anyway, Forza Milan, show some spirit and fight on!

Schedule