Week 10: Milan vs Spal 31/10/19 21:00 CET

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Bench suso, biglia, mussachio and conti/calabria

Theo - roma - duarte - boriniho

giphy.gif

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Matchday.

It's so grim these days, it's so painful to watch matches. I still come here for short periods to briefly catch up even though it's heartbreaking.

Still, I hope Duarte and Bennacer will step up and Theo continues to go from strength to strength.

I also hope Castillejo if played will add a balance that will make Pioli realize how being Suso-dependent has hampered us so much.

Forza Milan as usual - may this be the much needed turning point.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I'm assuming the manager knows. In Bennacer's case, I don't think he's good at anchoring a defense while other players waltz ahead spurred on by Theo's pace. His capabilities are ball distribution and moving it up while maintaining compact spacing with fellow midfielders (at least that's what I've seen him do the entire last season at Empoli). We don't play like that anymore.

In Castillejo's case, I've seen enough of him to know his limitations.

benna can pick up smart passes and actually move forward when pressed. he is a must play. it's upto the coach to find balance. bench paqueta(let him fight it out with hakan and suso) and play krunic if you have to. just find the defensive balance but he must play.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not convinced Castillejo will play.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
The pre-injury Bona is just the goalscoring attacking midfielder we need for this 5-1 fantasia. His gigantic fitness problems aside, I think arriving in the box from the left(not necessarily wide) is essential to his game. He's not the same player on the right side. But that goes for pretty much every right-footed player if we expect goals from them, including Kessie who has spent the last years embarrassing himself with his weaker foot or trying the impossible with his right.
I'd rather not move Kessie back to RCM for this and the Theo reason.

tenor.gif

But tbh if Duarte is the RCB/RB then the previous Suso-less, Leao-less lineup would've perhaps lacked central/wide targetmen for these type of home games.

Still I'd much rather go a path that doesn't include Suso.

:thumbsup:

Agree about the balancing, but the pressing shouldn't be toned down just because Suso and Paqueta can't handle it. It's not even intense compared to how the best Serie A teams press at the moment.
If some players can't even handle this then they need to be replaced not accommodated.

I think Paqueta's problem is pushing too hard too early and running out of steam. Last season he covered alot of ground and he seemed able to do it. Now he seems like he's trying too hard to prove himself (probably due to being benched alot and questioned) and runs himself into the ground too early in games.

He tends to be the one leading the press from the front and does it well early in the games. That plus his constant movement off the ball to add box presence that we sorely lack, in addition to doing all of Suso's defensive work and I can understand why he tires out doing such a thankless task. That would tire anyone out.

I agree that we need to drop Suso to be able to sustain such an intense pressing game. He's the odd man out that destroy's the pressing scheme and forces everyone else to run themselves into the floor.

Short term, Suso should be dropped.

Long term, I think Paqueta could handle the intensity, but quality wise, he has to up his game if he's to become a good player, as right now he's all flash, ball losses and lack of end product.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Paqueta's problem is pushing too hard too early and running out of steam. Last season he covered alot of ground and he seemed able to do it. Now he seems like he's trying too hard to prove himself (probably due to being benched alot and questioned) and runs himself into the ground too early in games.

He tends to be the one leading the press from the front and does it well early in the games. That plus his constant movement off the ball to add box presence that we sorely lack, in addition to doing all of Suso's defensive work and I can understand why he tires out doing such a thankless task. That would tire anyone out.

I agree that we need to drop Suso to be able to sustain such an intense pressing game. He's the odd man out that destroy's the pressing scheme and forces everyone else to run themselves into the floor.

Short term, Suso should be dropped.

Long term, I think Paqueta could handle the intensity, but quality wise, he has to up his game if he's to become a good player, as right now he's all flash, ball losses and lack of end product.

:thumbsup:
Paq needs to find ways to last longer, but his coach also needs to get rid of the passenger on Paq's back.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Play a front 3 with Leao, Piatek and Hakan. What is all this “balance” obsession? Neither Samu nor Suso give us any balance. Have Hakan and Leao roam behind Piatek

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Just watch Samu be shittier than shit and people asking for Suso back.

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
Something very incredible here is that we are not playing with 2 strikers upfront because "Sa Majesté" suso failed to become Maradonna the TQ some were expecting... Chouso rules...

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

agreed, suso has one move but he often will pull it off and get a few good crosses and some shots off in a given game, samu might not even get that. but hey, at this point whoever starts i'm rooting for b/c we just need a damn win

Honestly though I'd rather none of them start and we run a jacked up 4-2-2 and let theo and calabria have free reign to work the wings and have kessie and bennacer hold down the center mid and along with the CB's cover for when we endure counters when calab or theo are pushed high up.

-Calab----Duar---Roma---Theo-
--------Kessie------Bennacer----
-----Paqueta-------Jack/Hakan--
---------Piatek----Leao----------

- we still look the best with Jack in the squad so I hope he's healthy enough to play. he brings out the best in paqueta and our strikers.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

You won't see me ask for Suso back.
If Samu disappoints tonight, and if this 3-2-4-1 don't work with Rebic or Borini either, then the next stop should be a 4-4-2, or 4-2-2-2, with the attacking mids in the wide roles, like Krunic, Paqueta, Hakan, Bona and maybe Theo.

There have been enough seasons wasted on Suso.
The small guarantees he provides isn't worth it in the long run.

Something very incredible here is that we are not playing with 2 strikers upfront because "Sa Majesté" suso failed to become Maradonna the TQ some were expecting... Chouso rules...

No, there are perfectly good reasons not to revert to 4312, which have nothing to do with Suso.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
agreed, suso has one move but he often will pull it off and get a few good crosses and some shots off in a given game, samu might not even get that. but hey, at this point whoever starts i'm rooting for b/c we just need a damn win

Honestly though I'd rather none of them start and we run a jacked up 4-2-2 and let theo and calabria have free reign to work the wings and have kessie and bennacer hold down the center mid and along with the CB's cover for when we endure counters when calab or theo are pushed high up.

-Calab----Duar---Roma---Theo-
--------Kessie------Bennacer----
-----Paqueta-------Jack/Hakan--
---------Piatek----Leao----------

- we still look the best with Jack in the squad so I hope he's healthy enough to play. he brings out the best in paqueta and our strikers.

The only free reign Calabria should have is to find a new club.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
3 points ��

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
It's Halloween, maybe Suso shows up as a monster tonight and tears apart SPAL.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan (4-3-3): Donnarumma G; Duarte, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Theo Hernandez; Paquetà, Bennacer, Kessie; Castillejo, Piatek, Calhanoglu.

No Suso...

giphy.gif

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Duarte, Bennacer, no Suso.

May god have mercy on us all.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
The Halloween jinx worked. Suso on the bench.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Petition for A. DOnnarumma instead of Samu

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I am so glad a coach had balls to bench Suso. Thank you Pioli.

Schedule