Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Is the current squad worth more than 4th place though? Not just the individual quality, but also how it is assembled, formation fit...

I think not. Imho, both the coach and squad are 4th place quality now. Rino isn't over-performing nor is he underperorming (results wise). The question Leo and Paolo should be looking at is what is his potential?

People talk about Conte and others, but I really doubt he'd have done more with this squad and the injury crisis. Guys like RR, Borini and Hakan shouldn't even be professional football players.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Is the current squad worth more than 4th place though? Not just the individual quality, but also how it is assembled, formation fit...

I think not. Imho, both the coach and squad are 4th place quality now. Rino isn't over-performing nor is he underperorming (results wise). The question Leo and Paolo should be looking at is what is his potential?

People talk about Conte and others, but I really doubt he'd have done more with this squad and the injury crisis. Guys like RR, Borini and Hakan shouldn't even be professional football players.

I think we're a 4th place team in a league where other than the top 2, the rest are serial chokers in the league. We have some great young potential, and some relegation bench level players.

I've no idea what Gattuso's potential is but he's certainly not what we need in the "now" to succeed. If we want to actually perform, we need a few top quality players and a coach who can give the team an actual identity. Currently we look clueless more often than not with no game plan.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
The objective for next season will be top4 or maximum 3rd place. With small improvements, Rino can provide that too.

I'm not against changing him, but only if it's for a long-term option. No Cunte, no Sarri, no Mazzari ples.

Do we have real quality option? Maybe Gasperini, but he's a gamble too.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yet another legend Milan have ruined for me.

umm, nope.
He's the most lovable personality as coach that we've ever had
The results aren't embarrassing like Pippo's.
His man-management isn't idiotic like Seedorf's.

I want him gone in the summer, but this hasn't been one giant mistake like Pippo.
He brought back enthusiasm, and also a lot of attention to Milan in social media.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
umm, nope.
He's the most lovable personality as coach that we've ever had
The results aren't embarrassing like Pippo's.
His man-management isn't idiotic like Seedorf's.

I want him gone in the summer, but this hasn't been one giant mistake like Pippo.
He brought back enthusiasm, and also a lot of attention to Milan in social media.

Attention on social media???? Screw social media win some trophies.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Hire MR & Congo... we'll be the toast of mainstream.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud

we were not expected to win the serie A
we're still in the coppa Italia

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Relevancy in social media and international media means better sponsor deals, new fans, more revenue, higher chances to win trophies.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Rino would have left honorably as a caretaker. We played well for a stretch and struggled against relegation sides at the end.

Renewing him was the biggest mistake.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The objective for next season will be top4 or maximum 3rd place. With small improvements, Rino can provide that too.

I'm not against changing him, but only if it's for a long-term option. No Cunte, no Sarri, no Mazzari ples.

Do we have real quality option? Maybe Gasperini, but he's a gamble too.

people forget most of the teams have been inconsistent. is this down to them being equally shit or equally good? i don't know. this year serie a is quite unpredictable(except for ladri and chievo). bologna just beat samp 3-0, lazio lost to chievo. i don't know what to expect from rest of our games(and opponents) honestly.

i'm sure if somebody offered us current league position at this stage we would have gladly taken it at the start of the season.

we would be keeping 4th place this round too which is what matters most, for me at least. hope napoli beat atalanta.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
tenor.gif

#still4th

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Is this Team worth more than 4th place? Definitely yes. On paper only Napoli and obviously Ladri are better than us. I see Inter on the same level, while Roma, Lazio, Atalanta and Torino are definitely weaker on paper.

You are judging Rino too much on results. Lots of experts in Italy too. That's the Italian mentality, saying things like "we all would have signed up for a Top 4 place in late April therefore Rino delivers". But when you look on how we play... We've had a decent run from Jan-March. The rest was cringe worthy to watch. Still being 4th after 5 points out of 18 in the last six games is not an achievement, it's not even on us: It's schier luck.

We must look beyond that. How are our players developing? How are we as a team evolving? There's no improvement at all. No evolution. More an inevolution. Gattuso was very good at forming a group, a bond between the players. But if we want to make the next step, then we need to change the coach. That's a given.

people forget most of the teams have been inconsistent. is this down to them being equally shit or equally good? i don't know. this year serie a is quite unpredictable(except for ladri and chievo). bologna just beat samp 3-0, lazio lost to chievo. i don't know what to expect from rest of our games(and opponents) honestly.

i'm sure if somebody offered us current league position at this stage we would have gladly taken it at the start of the season.

we would be keeping 4th place this round too which is what matters most, for me at least. hope napoli beat atalanta.

Voila, here we are :-).

How can you be happy with Gattuso when he makes our team play like scared and clueless boys? How is that okay only because the others play as inconsistent as we are? I mean if we only beat one or two more relegation sides we'd be 3rd and aiming at Napoli for 2nd place.

With our current run we'd be 17th in Serie A. That's a relegation run. Yes battling for 4th is what all of us would have signed up for. But we're not battling. We're stumbling into 4th place somehow only because the others let us and that's not enough.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Rino would have left honorably as a caretaker. We played well for a stretch and struggled against relegation sides at the end.

Renewing him was the biggest mistake.

The future isn't written yet. 5 finals to go in Serie A.

If he gets 4th place he has met his objective. We are light years away from Juve, a significant distance from Napoli and around Inter's level although they have a season of CL behind them.

If he gets us 4th he should only be replaced if there is a better option. With 4th place we should be able to invest in a couple of better players. This team is mediocre. We have too many players who simply are not good enough or consistent enough for CL football.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Voila, here we are :-).

How can you be happy with Gattuso when he makes our team play like scared and clueless boys? How is that okay only because the others play as inconsistent as we are? I mean if we only beat one or two more relegation sides we'd be 3rd and aiming at Napoli for 2nd place.

With our current run we'd be 17th in Serie A. That's a relegation run. Yes battling for 4th is what all of us would have signed up for. But we're not battling. We're stumbling into 4th place somehow only because the others let us and that's not enough.

everyone knows rino is not a perfect coach. this is something critics in the forum don't understand. i always point out his flaws when criticizing him(i hate that we can't maintain high defensive line and our attacking link up play is a joke and i don't think he is mentally there yet for managing big matches). i jump to defend him only because people pin down all the negativity of our season solely on him, which is very unfair. everyone thought our season was over when we hit the injury crisis(people actually blamed him for the injuries :fp:) but yet he somehow managed to improve our defense during that period. you may call me biased but refs have been disgusting towards us this season. never have i seen such bad officiating in single season. if you have to pick two out of three option which would you pick?
1. Pacey wingers
2. Midfielder who can dictate tempo and release quick passes
3. a new coach

as much as he is limited, his hands are tied too. we've seen he can play attacking football(if you visit back match threads there were lots of games where forumers claimed this was the best match they saw in a long time granted we also have best squad in long time). we've seen he can improve defense. we've seen him improve us in second halves consistently. he improved baka to the point everyone is his fan. he also needs to get credit for integrating paqueta and piatek so quickly(not taking anything from piatek as he rightfully should get credit for carrying us during our form period). i seriously doubt if we started the season with different coach we'd be in better position.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
A good coach would get more out of the current squad, Gattuso would still fail to qualify for Cl with pacey wingers in the squad.

Like you mentioned, the guy simply has no idea how to setup an attacking play.

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
I can somewhat understand pippo and seedorf previous failure with us. But rino fail even after massive transfer activity.

He is still milan legend in my eyes but he need to respectfully step down. Clearly this job is out of his depth

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I can somewhat understand pippo and seedorf previous failure with us. But rino fail even after massive transfer activity.

He is still milan legend in my eyes but he need to respectfully step down. Clearly this job is out of his depth

What massive transfer activity? Money down the drain, without real impact.

Bonucci - out
Higuain - out and pretty shit when he was here
Silva - out
Conti - injured
Caldara - injured
RR- shit
Hakan - shit
Borini - shit, but hard working
Kessie - average
Biglia - average
Laxalt - shit
Samu - sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit (most of times)
Baka - shit at start, good now
Piatek - good
Paqueta - good

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
What massive transfer activity? Money down the drain, without real impact.

Bonucci - out
Higuain - out and pretty shit when he was here
Silva - out
Conti - injured
Caldara - injured
RR- shit
Hakan - shit
Borini - shit, but hard working
Kessie - average
Biglia - average
Laxalt - shit
Samu - sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit (most of times)
Baka - shit at start, good now
Piatek - good
Paqueta - good

This sums up recent transfers very well. There are players here that have never been good enough for a CL team and some that probably never will be good enough. A lot of our players are average at best and very error prone.

If Gattuso gets 4th place he's done a great job. 4th will hopefully mean decent investment and better players. Players with great potential such as Piatek and Paqueta. We are more likely than not at least 2 good transfer windows away from progressing through a CL group.

indo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
When I said something a bit harsh to him after the loss from rube, most of u bullying me? What now? Like i said gattuso don’t even know how to maintain a goal advantage!
He use the last player to change just before 80 minutes, IMO he have to wasting time with that last change, play a bit negative football it’s acceptable as long as we can Grab the 3 points and he is clueless when under pressure.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Thanks for what you've done as a Milan coach in your 1.5 year stint, but please leave.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
He played 30 mins against parma because he wanted to conserve energy for this coppa match. And now we have lost

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate getting us top 4 so far but you need to go. Can't jeopardize top 4 now and it definitely looks like you will.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
the game vs lazio was legitimately disgusting to watch

0 thought and effort during build up

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
We have 5 season-defining matches left, they should sack him. We need that “new coach” morale boost.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
the game vs lazio was legitimately disgusting to watch

0 thought and effort during build up

Gattuso is legitimately an anti-coach. It's like he told the team to just go out and do their own thing. Slow, lazy, zero ambition or tactical sense.

Even fucking already relegated Cheivo with their shit team actually look good compared to us. A coach makes all the difference and it's so obvious these last few weeks that we're inept. We've made it this far for two reasons. Our defence can be solid and other teams are as bad as us.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
sack gattuso after this season ends. bonaventura is the player we miss the best. Even though he isn't exactly elite, he is still very important to our system.

Schedule