Marco Giampaolo Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
8dkQo5a.png

Hakan on only 11.17km. (used to be around 12km last season)
Calabria on 10.075km. (used to be around 11km last season)
Kessie, who came on after 60 mins, averaging only 6.5km/h (it used to be between 7.5km and 8.0km last season)

This is very similar to the numbers his Sampdoria put up.
It was not unusual for them to cover less than 100km, even without red cards.

They bring down the opponents' numbers as well.
It's the result of Giampaolo's emphasis on a compact defense, which he has in common with Simeone. I wonder if Simeone picked it up from him when he replaced him at Catania.

Blegh. Not in my taste at all.

Last edited:

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It seems weird now after that horror first game. But yeah, why not just pick up from last year... same team, same formation.. get some upgrades, sell/release some fodder.

In theory it sounds simple, but we decided to change whole system and then STILL play with Suso, Samu upfront.
Idk what happened, maybe they failed to land their transfer targets earlier and this is what happened.

Still, this team plays 4-3-3 for years now, it was obvious if you field the same players and put them in different formation that they will look worse.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
8dkQo5a.png

Hakan on only 11.17km. (used to be around 12km last season)
Calabria on 10.075km. (used to be around 11km last season)
Kessie, who came on after 60 mins, averaging only 6.5km/h (it used to be between 7.5km and 8.0km last season)

This is very similar to the numbers his Sampdoria put up.
It was not unusual for them to cover less than 100km, even without red cards.

They bring down the opponents' numbers as well.
It's the result of Giampaolo's emphasis on a compact defense, which he has in common with Simeone. I wonder if Simeone picked it up from him when he replaced him at Catania.

Blegh. Not in my taste at all.

It's the compactness of the team plus the emphasis on group movement. The spacing between players remains constant as much as possible. So individual solo runs become almost non-existent.

Exactly to my taste btw :D The Udinese match was one of the ugliest possible renditions of this style, but we'll soon see good ones.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
It's the compactness of the team plus the emphasis on group movement. The spacing between players remains constant as much as possible. So individual solo runs become almost non-existent.

Exactly to my taste btw :D The Udinese match was one of the ugliest possible renditions of this style, but we'll soon see good ones.

Did you deduct that from GP's comments about how the current squad can't play in his system, and he needs to switch to something else?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Yeah, he also has the overemphasis on group movement thing in common with Simeone.

I don't think the style has as much upside as those that don't restrict the FBs, like Klopp's.

Did you deduct that from GP's comments about how the current squad can't play in his system, and he needs to switch to something else?

It's not exclusive to 4-3-1-2.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yeah, he also has the overemphasis on group movement thing in common with Simeone.

I don't think the style has as much upside as those that don't restrict the FBs, like Klopp's.

Upside is derived from those intensely capable, modern footballers who can pick his moment to temporarily step above the system while working with the system like clockwork at other times (like a Salah). We don't have any at the moment. Until we reach that level, this would be an optimal path.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
The game v. Udinese was sloppier, and less creative than any game we played under Rino, yet this was Rino's greatest criticism... lack of creativity. Well at least with Rino we played with grit, passion/heart, etc and appeared to be a team unit.

I still have faith in Giampaolo (lets be real though, my expectations for him are to hopefully fight for 4th at most) but he made 3 massive mistakes already...

1) playing a formation that doesn't suit the current team of players he has
2) even more egregiously, if he was gonna force 4-3-1-2, we do have better options for those slots than what he fielded this weekend (really going to force suso to be AM and play samu up top???)
3) besides the formation and the players chosen, the individual movements and ideas were so tame that we didn't even produce a single threat all game... an entire 90 minutes with no real goal scoring chance... wow... this one scares me the most because this one most directly relates to coaching/philosophy

Last edited:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I’ve been saying that GP makes his fullbacks sit the entire summer, it’s been well known style of his since sampdoria, but people see 4312 and assume bombing fullbacks without even looking into it.

Theo might force a change in this style. People have given up on Conti as well, but players need to mentally and physically recover from injuries, and I think at the very least he’ll be a good option to bring in on the right. I like Calabria as well. GP likes fullbacks to sit and advance the ball and only go forward when we’re already established in the final third. The wside midfielders tended to drift wide more. I would prefer the fullbacks add some width and the center mids stay as close as possible to advance the ball in quick combos, something many of his teams use. I’m sure we’ll see that when the midfield is fit and fully integrated though, I’m not worried about that.

I was disappointed with the lack of pressing we did. BUT, to be fair, I don’t expect this to be our usual midfield. Hakan as the deepest restricts a lot of that I would think. Look at the United game, we moved the ball well but the Suso goal came from high pressing and turnovers. Turnovers high up the field lead to defensive errors, and Milan needs to create more them. For the first time in years we have a team more than capable of pressing high. Kessie, Hakan, Paqueta yesterday, they’re willing runners. Bennacer as well is very mobile and suited to sit at the base, and he has the legs for it. Very high in balls recovered. Going forward that’s the major change i want to see.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Hakan as regista, Paqueta unfit and Borini as an excuse of a football player - that was our midfield. It's easy to find excuses for the last game and I'm gonna do so :o

From what I saw of Bennacer, I really look forward to the next game just to see him. If he delivers then Biglia will be the reserve sooner than we thought.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Regarding the fullbacks, I don't know how he did it at samp, but both mezzala and especially Paqueta were wide and covered ground that you'd usually see FB's do in a 4312. I don't know if that's the long term plan, because in that case I'd rater see Paqueta on the right side because I don't think he'll be as efficient on the left, unless we want someone to feed the area with crosses. Paqueta should be more central and direct.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paqueta on the right is something we tried during one of the friendlies and it actually looked good for those 20 minutes.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Sometimes you just make a lot of sense Necromancer. The meme about your picks is perhaps the most dead joke in here.

But the right is Kessie's

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sometimes you just make a lot of sense Necromancer. The meme about your picks is perhaps the most dead joke in here.

But the right is Kessie's

My posts are an acquired taste, sognatore ;) The Bertolacci meme has its roots in a vast contingent of formerly banned members whose forum lives are now dedicated to paying their tribute to me. We all loved bertolacci at one point.

I’d love it if Kessie makes the right side his own. But he won’t.

Reaction score
Regarding the fullbacks, I don't know how he did it at samp, but both mezzala and especially Paqueta were wide and covered ground that you'd usually see FB's do in a 4312. I don't know if that's the long term plan, because in that case I'd rater see Paqueta on the right side because I don't think he'll be as efficient on the left, unless we want someone to feed the area with crosses. Paqueta should be more central and direct.
Many "should be"s require for that team

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Last year Giampaolo lost to Udinese in the first match of the season with one - nil. De Paul scored that goal. The next match he won against Napoli.
I see a trend here.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Last year Giampaolo lost to Udinese in the first match of the season with one - nil. De Paul scored that goal. The next match he won against Napoli.
I see a trend here.
Im pretty sure people didnt have an issue with the loss.

Its the fact that we didnt even manage one shot on target which is worrying peeps. You can play 11 duds and still manage a shot on target. But his shit tactics and lineup selection meant otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

Its the fact that we didnt even manage one shot on target which is worrying peeps. You can play 11 duds and still manage a shot on target. But his shit tactics and lineup selection meant otherwise.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie

It was that and the defeatist words in the post-interview.

anyhow - another chance is on the horizon for redemption

Forza Milan.

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
is 4-3-1-2 dead already?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Rly need to start Paqueta as Tq instead of samu. Really loved seeing paqueta with all the space in attack

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
A coach who can make adjustments

Think about that, RnB

Actual tactical adjustments

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A coach who can make adjustments

Think about that, RnB

Actual tactical adjustments

Which tactical adjustments are you referring to?
Switching Samu's and Suso's roles?
Giving up the Hakan regista experiment?
He undid some of the horrible decisions of last match. We've seen the previous coaches backtrack as well.

This was a home game against a minnow. These type of home games have usually meant comfortable 3 points, even in the modern Milan era, and much of the problems of last game stemmed from his inexplicable decisions, which he was bound to not repeat, so I expected easy 3 points despite everything.

The 3 points ended up being rather comfortably obtained, even if Brescia were in it until the last 10 minutes.
But the team still looks more lethargic than last season. Not attacking with numbers or playing with urgency(this was also the case last season, but it's worse now). The way Giampaolo sets up and instructs his team is as if he has 11 experienced, intelligent, world class players that have played a lifetime together. Group movements and cohesion are important, but don't over-complicate it and don't let it cripple the team.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
Rly need to start Paqueta as Tq instead of samu. Really loved seeing paqueta with all the space in attack

I disagree with this for a few reasons... for now.

Paqueta’s tricks are more effective and less risky the closer he gets to goal. This makes him seem more suited to being played in a higher position, but I think he’s better when he starts from deeper. I can only guess GP feels the same way as he said he’s potential a world class mezzala.

Paqueta’s a modern all-action attacking midfielder. He’s especially good in small spaces, combination play, late runs into the box, as well as lung busting runs back to cover. He’s a better passer from the middle third because his final ball often lacks the proper weight when playing through on goal. He’s effective at being the player who plays the killer through pass between the opposing fullback and centerback that leads to an assist. We’d be sacrificing part of what makes him a great player, potentially one of the best in his role, to get a good player in a role that we lack.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So, Skrtel just terminated his contract with Atalanta.

"Club sources point to physical problems dealing with Gasp's tough training regime"

Gasp is doing what every overachieving coach does - pushing the players to their physical limit. If you don't have quality, then beat them with quantity - in the form of workrate.
Simple stuff, which the likes of Conte, Klopp and Pocchettino also practice.

Meanwhile at Giampaolo's Milan

cD8phv4.jpg

Looks like we're bringing the soy back.

Oh, but he overachieved with Sampdoria right?
Finishing 9th-11th and conceding 55-60 goals with players that have gone on to become key players for their new clubs, like Skriniar, Duvan, Torreira, etc.
Miha finished 7th and conceded 42 goals just 2 years before him, and even that wasn't very impressive.

He should pray that all opponents are as naive and sloppy as Brescia.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
playing samuel and borini over leao?
guess kid doesnt know italian language but ... no minutes at all?