The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 10-08-2020, 17:01   #15441
vidarth
Ibra Supremacy

Fav. Players: Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
Chielini and CR7 will have to carry the team.
Pirlos future will depend on them.
dybala imo. Cr will get his goals and score penalties....but dybala's fitness and form will be the deciding factor.

Signature

Lions don't compare themselves to men
vidarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 22:55   #15442
Sven
Super Moderator

I'm not surprised at all that many of the players from that generation of Milan players have become managers (and very good ones!) and directors and even successful politicians (like Kaladze).

It was a very smart group of players and at the time Milan was a school... Ancelotti and the rest had learned the trade from Sacchi and Fabio Capello and they passed it on.

It's a bit of a shame that we couldn't make a smooth transition to another generation like we did from the 90's to the 00's now.
The 4 ex-players we used as manager had a lot of trouble who were not only their own, the ownership changed twice and will probably change again in a few years and you all know what was up.

Anyway I don't particularly care a lot about Milan being filled with ex-players. Though it's always nice have someone Maldini in a key role to rebuild the club. And I'm pretty sure more ex-players will join the next few years not because they used to play in Milan but because a lot of them are doing damn good work elsewhere.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:02   #15443
Mario
AC Milan Icon

I think Rino will turn out to be one of Italy's finest, he has all the tools. We good now but I'm really gutted it didn't work out; could have just stuck w Rino and got him a Lozano for his 433 along with two more quality players. Not that either have done that great for Napoli so far.

But man I love this mans post and pre-match conferences. His honesty, charisma combined with the bluntness makes him one of the best to listen to already.

Signature
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:34   #15444
Hondayum
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I'm not surprised at all that many of the players from that generation of Milan players have become managers (and very good ones!) and directors and even successful politicians (like Kaladze).

It was a very smart group of players and at the time Milan was a school... Ancelotti and the rest had learned the trade from Sacchi and Fabio Capello and they passed it on.

It's a bit of a shame that we couldn't make a smooth transition to another generation like we did from the 90's to the 00's now.
The 4 ex-players we used as manager had a lot of trouble who were not only their own, the ownership changed twice and will probably change again in a few years and you all know what was up.

Anyway I don't particularly care a lot about Milan being filled with ex-players. Though it's always nice have someone Maldini in a key role to rebuild the club. And I'm pretty sure more ex-players will join the next few years not because they used to play in Milan but because a lot of them are doing damn good work elsewhere.
I thought Seedorf did well (though I'm quite biased when it comes to Clarence, as he was my favourite player). Considering that he literally retired as a player to take up the managerial position at a team that was struggling, Milan performed the 4th-best out of all teams only counting games that Seedorf was in charge (which included a 5-game win streak), just one point from 3rd place. It's just a shame that Berlusconi was literally wanking to how well Inzaghi did with the youth team and couldn't wait to kick out Seedorf in favour of Inzaghi.

In many ways, Inzaghi was set up to fail at Milan before even his first game. Like you said, the ownership change and associated financial struggles meant that he was given a garbage team. Inexperienced managers will obviously make mistakes and Inzaghi made plenty of them...but the quality of the team can help counter that, and Inzaghi's Milan were really...really bad.

I have nothing to say about Brocchi's Milan. So few games in charge and the team's fate under Mihajlovic was already sealed. This team suffered from the same problems as Inzaghi's team.

Rino. Much grinta and benefited from a more stable ownership that actually had some semblance of a plan going forward. I also thought that Gattuso did a fine job. The team was not strong and the attacking players couldn't score on a prostitute (Higuain was an incredible centre back for teams against Milan), yet they finished one point shy of Champions League qualification. In some ways, this is less surprising as Rino was the most experienced of the four.

I'm sure that all four would be better managers today had they not jumped on the Milan ship so early.
Hondayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:06   #15445
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Almost all of them has great potential, as Sven suggested. Pippo is once again earning plaudits for his work at Benevento.. He had done a great job at Venezia as well, but it didn't work out for him at Milan and Bologna.

It's very easy to write off managers after one bad stint, but they are also on developing journeys and need good environments to thrive.

That Milan was almost like a university for players. They have all had amazing grounding and can all build good careers.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:36   #15446
Congo Powers
b+g immortale

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, Theo, KPB, Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondayum View Post
I thought Seedorf did well (though I'm quite biased when it comes to Clarence, as he was my favourite player). Considering that he literally retired as a player to take up the managerial position at a team that was struggling, Milan performed the 4th-best out of all teams only counting games that Seedorf was in charge (which included a 5-game win streak), just one point from 3rd place. It's just a shame that Berlusconi was literally wanking to how well Inzaghi did with the youth team and couldn't wait to kick out Seedorf in favour of Inzaghi.

In many ways, Inzaghi was set up to fail at Milan before even his first game. Like you said, the ownership change and associated financial struggles meant that he was given a garbage team. Inexperienced managers will obviously make mistakes and Inzaghi made plenty of them...but the quality of the team can help counter that, and Inzaghi's Milan were really...really bad.

I have nothing to say about Brocchi's Milan. So few games in charge and the team's fate under Mihajlovic was already sealed. This team suffered from the same problems as Inzaghi's team.

Rino. Much grinta and benefited from a more stable ownership that actually had some semblance of a plan going forward. I also thought that Gattuso did a fine job. The team was not strong and the attacking players couldn't score on a prostitute (Higuain was an incredible centre back for teams against Milan), yet they finished one point shy of Champions League qualification. In some ways, this is less surprising as Rino was the most experienced of the four.

I'm sure that all four would be better managers today had they not jumped on the Milan ship so early.
re: rino...definitely was not the one that benefited from stable ownership. he was hired by mirabelli as yonghong was MIA...
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:39   #15447
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

That's one of the things I miss the most - that squad was not only talented but very intellectual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I think Rino will turn out to be one of Italy's finest, he has all the tools. We good now but I'm really gutted it didn't work out; could have just stuck w Rino and got him a Lozano for his 433 along with two more quality players. Not that either have done that great for Napoli so far.

But man I love this mans post and pre-match conferences. His honesty, charisma combined with the bluntness makes him one of the best to listen to already.
Rino is my favorite player and I hated to see him go, but considering how we're playing now under Pioli, I don't regret this course of action one bit.

Signature
"We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life. God sent us."

Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 00:34   #15448
leaf
Rule me Kamala!!!

Fav. Players: Ba, Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Silva

First pro game first win as a coach. The dark side of the force (no racist) flows strong through him

Signature
#Expertz on Roma:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
I don't think even conte can make this clown a good defender. worst defender we've ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Musa is better than Romagnoli.
on Berto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Berto … could be to us for the next 5 years, what Marchisio is to Juve.
On covid-19:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Looking fwd to the corona panic being cured soon. Getting rly tired of some of these ppl. Scared of this barely dangerous virus
leaf is offline   Reply With Quote