AC Milan's Financial Situation Thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Forgot to congratulate Dottore Galliani for the big improvement in the finances. Doing his job like a pro :thumbsup:

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
:thumbsup: Show Me The Money

In the past few years there has been tremendous progress in football fans’ knowledge of their clubs’ finances. Some might say that this is not a good thing and we should focus on matters on the pitch. That’s perfectly fair, indeed I would also personally much prefer to watch a great game, such as Borussia Dortmund’s recent demolition of Real Madrid, rather than investigate the minutiae of their balance sheets.

However, it is important that fans are aware of what is going on at their club, so that they understand the board’s strategy and any constraints that impact their activities, e.g. why a club might sell its best players every summer or why a club does not splash out on the world-class striker that might take them to the next level.

Traditionally, supporters have concentrated on a club’s profit and loss account, which is not surprising, because: (a) that is what the media tends to report – on the back of press releases from the clubs; (b) it is intuitively easy to understand, being essentially revenue less expenses (mainly player wages).

Nevertheless, the reported figure is an accounting profit, which is not necessarily a “real” profit, as it is based on the accountant’s accruals concept and this can be very different from actual cash movements. This was noted recently by, of all people, Simon Jordan, the former Crystal Palace chairman, on Sky’s excellent Footballers’ Football Show, as he claimed that the reported profit at football clubs was depressed by non-cash items.

The perma-tanned, Spandau Ballet look-alike, actually has a point. As the old saying goes, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, but cash is king. The main reason that football clubs like Portsmouth fail is cash flow problems. It does not matter how large your revenue is (or your profits are), if you do not have the cash to pay your players, suppliers or the taxman, then you are going to crash into the rocks.

Therefore, this blog is going to focus on the cash flow at each of the Premier League clubs in 2011/12 (the last season where all clubs have published detailed accounts). It will start with the familiar profit and loss account, highlighting the accounting shenanigans, and then reconcile this with the cash flow statement.

We shall then examine how football clubs really spend their money, revealing the different business models that are employed and explaining why certain clubs act as they do, including a review of the top seven clubs in the league (Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and Liverpool).

Cash Flow from Operating Activities

The starting point for a football club’s cash flow statement is the operating profit (or more likely loss), which is converted into cash flow from operating activities via two adjustments: (a) adding back non-cash items such as player amortisation, depreciation and player impairment; (b) movements in working capital.

(a) Non-cash Items

First of all, we need to understand how football clubs account for transfer fees. Instead of expensing these completely in the year of purchase, players are treated as assets, whereby their value is written-off evenly over the length of their contract via player amortisation. As an example, Manchester United signed Robin van Persie for £22m on a four-year contract, so the annual amortisation is £5.5 million (£22 million divided by four years).

Similarly, tangible fixed assets like a club’s stadium and training ground are also depreciated, though their useful life is considerably longer. Player impairment occurs when the club decides that the value of a player in its accounts is too high, e.g. the player suffers a career threatening injury, loss of form or is in dispute with the management.

Incidentally, this also highlights why profit on a player sales is not a real cash figure, as this represents sales proceeds less the carrying value in the books. So, if van Persie were to be sold after three years for £7 million (i.e. £15 million lower than his £22m cost), there would still be a reported profit of £1.5 million, as his value in the accounts would be only £5.5 million (£22 million cost less three years amortisation at £5.5 million a year).

More here

Last edited:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Financial Fair Play, stadiums, supporters’ participation to the Club’s management: a chat with Mr. Gandini, AC Milan Organization Director
02/05/2013

The closing sport season is, probably, among those that have stimulated at a European level the greatest amount of debates on issues that have no direct reference on the playing field.

We asked to Umberto Gandini (@UmbertoGandini), AC Milan Organizing Director and ECA Vice-President, to help us to better decipher what is going on, thanks to his direct experience.

Q: Mr. Gandini, let's start with the main discussion "issue" in recent months: Financial Fair Play has started. How was this project born and up to what point it has been a path on which UEFA has cooperated with the other actors?

Let me first say that I have never really loved too the adjective "fair", especially since it implies that those who do not respect the requirements are "unfair". However, the idea has been mediatically successful, so we have continued to use it.

The project is the result of a shared discussion, born from the inspiration of President Platini, but then reasoned between UEFA, the football clubs (represented by ECA), the Federations and players (represented by FIFPro).

The very first idea actually stems during the Champions League Final in Moscow in 2008, which saw Manchester United opposed to Chelsea. Two clubs which, for different reasons, at that time had very high debt: MUtd for the LBO transaction occurred earlier, Chelsea due to Abramovich will to achieve leading positions in Europe quickly.

President Platini initially considered that it was necessary to achieve a total elimination of debts. Within the ECA, however, we observed that the presence of bank debt, in itself, is not a negative factor, since it is traditionally an element common to all companies pertaining to different industries.

From there we started to build a regulation that was centered on balancing the budget, in the belief that this was the really interesting goal. And, not less important, in the identification of some parameters that would help to ensure the sustainability of the debt: this is the real issue.

Q: By the end of June we should know the first observations by UEFA Club Financial Control Body (the body created at UEFA to manage from a procedural point of view and on all assessments of compliance with the requirements Financial Fair Play, NdR) What kind of relationship exists between the individual and the CFCB Club? Does it all work mediated by UEFA and the national associations or meetings were held with the primary stakeholders, ie the Club, to have a concrete and practical comparison on individual aspects?

The relationship between the individual Clubs and the CFCB is straightforward: each Club will send its data and documentation to have them assessed for Financial Fair Play purposes.

We do not really expect big differences in the approach between this "new" party and those who already oversee the budgets of the Club (the audit firm for the statutory financial statements, the Covisoc for the national license) considering that the CFCB can reasonably ask for clarification or additions to the documentation provided and then begin a contradictory to arrive to a shared view.

Should the position of CFCB diverge from the Club one and should this conflict lead to determine the sanctions against this club, then it will start the traditional procedure with the steps before the Disciplinary Committee and, subsequently, to TAS in Lausanne.

Q: What attitude do you expect from CFCB in this first phase of implementation of Financial Fair Play?

I presume the CFCB will initially adopt a less formal and more substantial approach. The path in the implementation of the new legislation was deliberately built to lay down clearly the target, but also to put the Clubs in a position to comply with the requirements within a reasonable time. There are, in fact, structural components (the diversification of revenues, the salaries, the funding sources) that can not be changed within one or two seasons.

I think the CFCB will pay particular attention to verify whether, in the event of a Club's failure to comply with one or more parameters of the Financial Fair Play, it has started a virtuous path to reach the expected result or whether, instead, the problem has not been properly addressed.

The decision to identify a set of sanctions that starts from the "recall" to reach the "withdrawal of the title" will allow CFCB to dose appropriately its intervention, taking into account the overall context within which a Club has operated. I do not expect, thought, an "Inquisition" approach, but rather a management of emerging issues. In a resolute way (CFCB born for this and can not change its mission), but in also with an "understanding" approach.

In any case, I'd like to remember that the assessments made by the CFCB during 2013 will relate to the 2011/12 FY, ie one of the two that make up the first observation period. So this first year will be a step closer to the verification of 2014 Spring, when the very first sanctions would be decided.

Q: The subject on which everyone is waiting to see what will happen, and many believe to be the real "test" to see if the Financial Fair Play is "a serious matter", comes from the sponsorship "fair value" when coming from related parties: the most striking example is Paris Saint-Germain's contract with the Qatar Tourism Authority, signed with retroactive effect for 2011/2012. What is your opinion on what will happen?

Undoubtedly the case of QTI sponsorship of PSG is special. Much will depend on how the lawyers of the PSG will be able to justify the value (and retroactivity) of the sponsorship agreement as part of "related party transactions". To be honest … none of us envy at this time PSG! To prove that a sponsorship of 150 million is indeed withinh the "fair value" is complex and, as far as I'm concerned, difficult. But I also assume that if they moved this way they have build an effective line of defense.

As for the support of the French Football Federation is concerned, I think it's natural. Among other things, it is important to remember that the "fair value" is specific request coming from Financial Fair Play, but does not necessarely impact on each Federation internal assessment process. For which, therefore, PSG 2011/12 Annual Report was not liable to reliefs.

Q: What are the elements of the Financial Fair Play that, in his view, would need further consideration?

I'm glad you asked me that question, because I think that the discussion in recent months has been too focused on PSG and Manchester City sponsorships, while there are other issues which, I believe, have not yet found a solution that ensures uniformity in the assessment process. I mean that there are differences in the accounting criteria of each nations and UEFA evaluation process still do not make all Clubs "equal".

A first example is the substantial absence of Annual Report official audit by most of the clubs pertaining to Eastern Europe (including Russia) Federations. I have the utmost respect, of course, the correctness of the owners and shareholders of the Company, but it is also true that we have a part of the UEFA world that has stringent procedures and request a third party (the audit firm) control, while another part of the same world can potentially draw up budgets and provide them to CFCB without these being subject to any external check.

A second example concerns a peculiarity of Spanish law, according to which annual contributions coming form the Club's shareholders are treated as ordinary income. This, especially when we tried to send a signal contrary to "football maecenas" is a bit incoherent. Why, for example, the 180,000 Barcelona shareholders can annually fund their Club and Abramovich (to say a random name) cannot?

A third example concerns a matter which has recently even led to the opening of an infringement procedure by the European Commission, which disputes some Dutch and Spanish clubs for having been beneficiaries of "state aid". Also in this case it is known that in some UEFA areas there are Governments, either directly or through subsidiaries, that deliver substantial contributions to the Clubs, as sponsorships or tax benefits.

Unfortunately, all these issues are not easy to solve, because it is clear that football clubs are, firstly, subject to the individual laws of their own Nation and, therefore, close their Financial Statements in accordance with those regulations. I also understand that it might be difficult to map all these specificities in order to fully identify harmonization criteria for the purposes of the CFCB controls.

What I hope to happen is that, quickly, also these matters will be addressed. We will then probably come to the determination that there are no viable solutions, but at least we will have tried.

http://tifosobilanciato.it/en/2013/05/02/fair-play-finanziario-stadi-partecipazione-della-tifoseria-alla-gestione-delle-societa-una-chiacchierata-con-umberto-gandini-direttore-organizzazione-ac-milan/

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Q: Considering that one of the major "problems" European football is the players costs, both in the market values ​​and, especially, in wages, would it be possible to borrow ​​salary cap idea, as applied in the United States?

The US is very different from our reality. These are "closed" Leagues, without relegations. The number of subjects that need to share a certain approach is contained and directly concerned. I do not think, therefore, that the U.S. model could be applied as it is.

Salary cost reduction is actually a goal that most of the Club have (although they are sometimes themselves responsible for such a "race"). It clashes, however, with a series of obstacles not easy to overcome:

the need for the rule to be applied in all UEFA; differently it would create discrepancies that would lead to the impoverishment of some championships for the benefit of others;
the availability of the main "victims" of these decisions. For the moment FIFPro (European Footballer Union) has been open to listen but without special glimpse availability to an agreement.

In the meantime, however, the European clubs are increasingly signing contracts which provide a share of fixed salary and a variable in an attempt to bind as much as possible of the costs to the results obtained, in order to self-finance (as far as possible) the costs with the additional income.

Q: Let's change the subject and move on to the Supporters. In Europe there is a growing debate about how the may contribute to the life the Clubs team, also as shareholders. Supporters Direct is carrying out a project funded by the European Union. We would like to have your opinion on this phenomenon, in particular on any problems and constraints that you believe may prevent a gradual spread in Italy.

What is happening in Europe is very attractive. I think, however, that it strongly depends on a cultural factor.

In England, the fan-shareholder existed, today almost not anymore. So, even the "homeland" of this culture has actually abandoned this practice in the last decade: Premier League Clubs are owned by private investors, or at least have a control structure easily attributable to a specific subject , just like in Italy.

Germany is certainly the country where this model is more prevalent. Partly because at the time of the transformation of football clubs form "no profit" associations into normal companies Germay has expressly adopted the "50 +1" rule, that prevent an individual person to control a Club.

But to return to the concept of cultural tradition, we must not forget that Germany is a Nation where the entire economic system is based on the concept of participation: I am referring in particular to the direct employees involvement in the management of the company for which they work. It is clear that it is almost natural that the football team see the supporters having an important role.

If we come to Italy, I have to say I'm a bit skeptical on the actual possibility that supporters participation may succeed, bot for a cultural matter and also because the management model used until now forced the owners to important annual injections of money into the clubs, something that would not be possible for a normal supporter.

As far as I know, in Serie A only Genoa CFC has an experience of this kind, because 25% of its share capital were donated years ago by President Preziosi to "Fondazione Genoa". Perhaps this could be an interesting model, because Fondazione Genoa has the right to participate in the appointment of the governing bodies of Genoa (Board of Directors and Board of Statutory Auditors) and, therefore, can play a sort of warranty role with respect to the proper management of the Company.

I do not exclude that, in the future, the approach will change. Indeed, perhaps, if football clubs become truly self-sufficient, we may study how to have supporters participating to the Company life. But I think it will be hard to find a comparable situation to, let's say, Barcelona, ​​Real Madrid and Bayern Munchen.

Q: Now l'ets come home, to Italy. At the beginning of April, FIGC published Football Report 2013, a photograph of our professional football. The debate emerged after the publication, and the solution invoked always the same: "let's hurry to approve the law on stadia". Can you tell us his vision about the stadium issue and, to the extent possible, the strategy for Milan also use this lever to increase and diversify the revenues of the Club?

Italian Clubs, more than other belonging to the Big-5, strongly depend on television rights and from participation in European competitions. Unfortunately, the commercial revenues and those arising from the exploitation of the stadium are still marginal.

I think the slogan "property stadium" is, however, deceptive. It is not the ownership of the stadium that makes the difference, but the possibility of exploitation of the same by the Club, increasing the offer towards business customers, offering attractive alternatives to the supporters (the Museum, shops for the sale of official products, spaces for conferences and meetings).

We shall be careful to consider international examples as automatically "localizable" on our territory. I think of Milan and, although it is perhaps the Country "economic capital", I struggle to believe they we may find the same economic environment of, for example, Munchen.

Juventus, who is the team with the greatest number of supporter in Italy, has chosen a 41,000 seats venue. I can't say if if was a proper choice or not, but I would imagine they have pursued the goal of having a load factor consistently close to 100%, to get the maximum benefit in a sustainable investment for the team.

As for Milano, I believe there are conditions for the City to have two venues.

AC Milan wants to stay at San Siro, and if there was the possibility of turning it into a facility exclusively dedicated to us we would be happy to study and, where possible, to proceed with such a project. Probably the constraints that currently prevent us from taking full advantage of the system (in particular the needs of our mutual respect and Inter) would be eliminated and, then, we could increase the matchday revenues that, currently, I'm afraid came almost to a maximum of how much is allowed to get in the current situation.

Returning to the national debate, I would add, however, that the investment of a new stadium is not for everyone: care should be taken to the component of debt that is generated, which must be within reach of the Club.

Perhaps for this reason, in the past, there have been many projects that supported the investment in sports activities on the fringes of a commercial or residential that would allow a return of the expenditure.

I do not see anything wrong, because the goal of an investor – even more so today with the Financial Fair Play – must be to undertake profitable initiatives and leading a benefit.

But the sports component should remain the central element of the project and not be a corollary.

http://tifosobilanciato.it/en/2013/05/02/fair-play-finanziario-stadi-partecipazione-della-tifoseria-alla-gestione-delle-societa-una-chiacchierata-con-umberto-gandini-direttore-organizzazione-ac-milan/

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Forgot to congratulate Dottore Galliani for the big improvement in the finances. Doing his job like a pro :thumbsup:

Not sure I'd call that a big improvement. Depends on if or how much of the 60m+ profit on player sales is included. But it looks to me that the total expenses on wages & salaries is(or was for 2012) still more than 150m. It was 206m for 2011.. And yet he renewed the contracts of most senatores giving them pretty much the same wages as before.:lol: If it was up to him, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi etc would still be here.

It would be nice to see him start doing his job like a pro though.:thumbsup:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
BLd2JGFCAAEDQvB.png:large

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
^ damn... I wouldn't be surprised if the value goes down even further... buying unknown players and being an underdog in international matches makes the brand lose value... hopefully if our youngsters grow to be great players, the brand will get higher also

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
http://www.football-italia.net/35210/milan-and-inter-top-wages-survey

It might include wages from the 11/12 season, it might be pre-tax and it might also include the whole staff.......either way, whut the fuckkkkk. This insanity has been going on for years, despite Galliani bringing up the need to "balance the books" even before we got Ibra and moaning in every interview about wages, taxes, revenues, stadiums.. Has Galliani ever explained how it could get this far and why the wage bill still seem unreasonably high?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
http://www.football-italia.net/35210/milan-and-inter-top-wages-survey

It might include wages from the 11/12 season, it might be pre-tax and it might also include the whole staff.......either way, whut the fuckkkkk. This insanity has been going on for years, despite Galliani bringing up the need to "balance the books" even before we got Ibra and moaning in every interview about wages, taxes, revenues, stadiums.. Has Galliani ever explained how it could get this far and why the wage bill still seem unreasonably high?

Just wanted to post this, so the clowns who support Galliani can see the epic fuck up he is.

Milan pays : £4.25m per year or £81,752 a week.

Juventus pays : £2.96m a year, £56,244 per week.

Thats so fucking ******** and 99% true if you consider Traore`s reported salary.

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
Just wanted to post this, so the clowns who support Galliani can see the epic fuck up he is.

Milan pays : £4.25m per year or £81,752 a week.

Juventus pays : £2.96m a year, £56,244 per week.

Thats so fucking ******** and 99% true if you consider Traore`s reported salary.

Dude relax. These are old numbers. We're fine now, no need to worry any more

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
How much does Galliani earn? Is there any info on that?

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
How much does Galliani earn? Is there any info on that?

Wasnt this thread depressing enough? You have to bring gallians wage in 2?

Whatever it is..........its to much. Thoe thats silvios fault, he should have fired his incompetent ass years ago.

Reaction score
We can't compete anymore with Spanish and British clubs if we don't get a new huge sponsor/partner soon. Those clubs started to get tons of cash from other countries for TV rights.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
We can't compete anymore with Spanish and British clubs if we don't get a new huge sponsor/partner soon. Those clubs started to get tons of cash from other countries for TV rights.

We cant compete with top French and German clubs either.And yes does other clubs have it better, cause there leagues are better run, but its not impossible in Serie A to make money.

Juventus does, Udine does and will do it even better in the future.

char21

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
With current mercato it seems even clubs like Fiorentina, Napoli and Inter also have better financial situation than us...

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
The World's 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams 2013

#37 AC Milan
Value: (0, 100, 0) $945 million
Owner: (0, 100, 0) Silvio Berlusconi

AC Milan underperforms in matchday revenue because San Siro stadium (which the Rossaneri share with Inter Milan) is antiquated and attendance has steadily declined in recent years.

Last edited:

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
Only 5 football teams above us in that list

Arsenal, bayern, Barca, Man utd and Madrid.

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Only 5 football teams above us in that list

Arsenal, bayern, Barca, Man utd and Madrid.

Fucking Arsenal! Idk what people see in that piece of shit team. Sure must be fun to never win a trophy!:lol:

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fucking Arsenal! Idk what people see in that piece of shit team. Sure must be fun to never win a trophy!:lol:

They have a gorgeous stadium and that's about it

7_Sheva

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too many...

:lol::lol:
No shit, the only thing I really would want from the would be the Henry signing in 2006/07.:lol:

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
My own rant from the commode

Some people are just arguing the same points over and over. Since this thread has essentially become "general chat," it gives me an excuse to procrastinate writing a letter.

Here are the facts.

1. AC Milan is a subsidiary of Fininvest
2. Fininvest is not at the Enron or Lehman Brothers level, but it is a lot closer to those than it is to financial solvency. Its subsidiaries have consistently lost value, and it is nowhere near diversified
3. Our revenue and brand value have fallen, at least according to Deloitte.
4. Deloitte is one of the best consulting firms in the world, which makes it a pretty solid resource
5. The city of Milan owns the San Siro
6. Berlusconi has many legal problems, which result in a financial expenditure. Even if things are overturned, he will still have millions in legal fees

Everything else is conjecture.

I've been probably the most vocal anti-Galliani voice on this forum, though there are a few who challenge me. To me, he is one of the best negotiators I have ever seen in my life, which is pretty impressive. Unfortunately, he is abysmal at roster management, which also falls upon Berlusconi for not separating the power into several different positions. Galliani's weakness is his emotional attachment to players. Part of what makes Milan a global icon is the organizational culture, but part of that involves knowing when to say goodbye. It is sad when parents' children leave home, but the parents know that it is for the best.

Ultimately, my other problem with Galliani and management has been the lack of concern about extending the brand. In order to compete globally, one must increase revenue. We as fans all focus on owning a stadium, yet there are other revenue streams, which include expanded licensing, increased international exposure, and partnerships. As the EPL has continued to gain ground in the US, one must ask where Serie A was, especially where I am from in the US, which is the Northeast. There are MANY Italians here, and gaining a foothold in the American market is necessary for most international companies.

People also rag on Galliani for paying in installments. If it is interest free, why on earth would someone pay full price today? Here's an important question for people. Do you know how Warren Buffet made his money, and what the majority holding of Berkshire Hathaway is? Insurance. Why? It is an interest free loan. That also fails to account for PV vs. FV. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, so in Milan's case, paying later is a hedge for inflation, and decreases the total expenditure in real terms. Nominal terms still remain the same.

The simple financial reality is that Serie A and Milan cannot compete with the various leagues around the world, which requires creativity and ingenuity with creating a roster. It requires great scouts, great relationships, and a great eye for depressed talent. Fortunately, our team does have an eye for distressed assets, yet they are distressed for the wrong reasons. The first time in years that I had hope for this team's future was when Galliani said that Brazil is too expensive, while Colombia is under priced. To put things simply: we cannot compete with global wealth, nor can we spend above market value!

The perfect model of comparison for what AC Milan needs is the Tampa Bay Rays of MLB. The club relies on great drafts, great scouts, and dumpster diving. The important thing to consider with a club is that some players need to be sold when the value is at a certain point. It's just the reality of ownership, and it is good business. That said, even those teams keep certain players around which to build. Therein lies the problem of Milan, identity. Part of having an efficient roster is having an efficient system. Barcelona is successful because of the tiki taka; players are bought who fit that system, and young players cost next to nothing. If we want to build around SES and Balotelli, then complementary players are needed. Both Balotelli and SES are slash and cut players, which means vertical passers are needed. What has happened this window to support those players? Nothing.

I've written many times about replacement level players, which is where Milan fails consistently. For players who will play 500 minutes or fewer per year, why is there a player on the roster making anything more than league minimum? That player's job is the be insurance in the event of injury, and to play meaningless minutes. That's where dumpster diving comes into play, as well as getting young players minutes.

There are many solutions to Milan's problems, yet management seems to lack the creativity to deal with it.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score

Some people are just arguing the same points over and over. Since this thread has essentially become "general chat," it gives me an excuse to procrastinate writing a letter.

Here are the facts.

2. Fininvest is not at the Enron or Lehman Brothers level, but it is a lot closer to those than it is to financial solvency. Its subsidiaries have consistently lost value, and it is nowhere near diversified
4. Deloitte is one of the best consulting firms in the world, which makes it a pretty solid resource
6. Berlusconi has many legal problems, which result in a financial expenditure. Even if things are overturned, he will still have millions in legal fees

I've been probably the most vocal anti-Galliani voice on this forum, though there are a few who challenge me. To me, he is one of the best negotiators I have ever seen in my life, which is pretty impressive. Unfortunately, he is abysmal at roster management, which also falls upon Berlusconi for not separating the power into several different positions. Galliani's weakness is his emotional attachment to players. Part of what makes Milan a global icon is the organizational culture, but part of that involves knowing when to say goodbye. It is sad when parents' children leave home, but the parents know that it is for the best.

Ultimately, my other problem with Galliani and management has been the lack of concern about extending the brand. In order to compete globally, one must increase revenue. We as fans all focus on owning a stadium, yet there are other revenue streams, which include expanded licensing, increased international exposure, and partnerships. As the EPL has continued to gain ground in the US, one must ask where Serie A was, especially where I am from in the US, which is the Northeast. There are MANY Italians here, and gaining a foothold in the American market is necessary for most international companies.

People also rag on Galliani for paying in installments. If it is interest free, why on earth would someone pay full price today? Here's an important question for people. Do you know how Warren Buffet made his money, and what the majority holding of Berkshire Hathaway is? Insurance. Why? It is an interest free loan. That also fails to account for PV vs. FV. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, so in Milan's case, paying later is a hedge for inflation, and decreases the total expenditure in real terms. Nominal terms still remain the same.

The simple financial reality is that Serie A and Milan cannot compete with the various leagues around the world, which requires creativity and ingenuity with creating a roster. It requires great scouts, great relationships, and a great eye for depressed talent. Fortunately, our team does have an eye for distressed assets, yet they are distressed for the wrong reasons. The first time in years that I had hope for this team's future was when Galliani said that Brazil is too expensive, while Colombia is under priced. To put things simply: we cannot compete with global wealth, nor can we spend above market value!

The perfect model of comparison for what AC Milan needs is the Tampa Bay Rays of MLB. The club relies on great drafts, great scouts, and dumpster diving. The important thing to consider with a club is that some players need to be sold when the value is at a certain point. It's just the reality of ownership, and it is good business. That said, even those teams keep certain players around which to build. Therein lies the problem of Milan, identity. Part of having an efficient roster is having an efficient system. Barcelona is successful because of the tiki taka; players are bought who fit that system, and young players cost next to nothing. If we want to build around SES and Balotelli, then complementary players are needed. Both Balotelli and SES are slash and cut players, which means vertical passers are needed. What has happened this window to support those players? Nothing.

I've written many times about replacement level players, which is where Milan fails consistently. For players who will play 500 minutes or fewer per year, why is there a player on the roster making anything more than league minimum? That player's job is the be insurance in the event of injury, and to play meaningless minutes. That's where dumpster diving comes into play, as well as getting young players minutes.

There are many solutions to Milan's problems, yet management seems to lack the creativity to deal with it.

I hope they learn from your post!

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Here are the facts.

Great post.

jon

The Matrix
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Romagnoli, Cutrone, De Bruyne
my plan in life is to graduate in a couple years, work for a few years and then create my own business. i intend to grow my own business for several years, if not decades. it probably won't happen, but i want to sell the business i build for several billions and then purchase AC Milan.

I am confident I can create a profitable business, whether I will ever have enough to buy Milan? We shall see :)

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Do you guys know where we can get the sustainability report Barbara and G were talking about?

Schedule