New Age Bandiere

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
So dunno how interesting this thread could be to you guys, but the entire Leo episode had me thinking about the state of Bandiere in modern football. The loyal club man who would never leave your flag and go play for the rival club.

Specifically, whom do you people see being long-term servants of their club, among the current crop of players. Not just Milan players, but across all clubs.

For the sake of discussion, let's say anyone who's Thiago Silva's age or younger.

Pique? De Rossi? Thiago Silva? Rafael Da Silva?

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
TS would never, if he ever leaves us i reckon it would be for Real Madrid or Barca but even then i doubt he will.

Pique is Barca for life.

Rafael Da Silva will eventually leave Madrid, probably not to a EPL rival but any other European Elite.

The next likely 'traitor' in the Milan chapter will be Balotelli. I could even see Sergio Aguero move from At. Madrid to Real Madrid where as Nando Torres would never do it.

William Gallas is an interesting character, hes gone to almost all the major London rivals bar Fulham/West Ham in the EPL, Lassana Diarra has done similar and could continue.

Anelka and Bellamy deserve a good shout.

Last edited:

Vecchio Ultra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Ambrosini - Boban - Savicevic - Dessailly - MVB - Costacurta - Bierhoff
There are no bandieras anymore, all mercenaries... when Del Piero and Totti retire the last two will be gone, we lost our last one when Paolo retired

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I's say pique,fletcher,schweini,chiellini,de rossi and maybe thiago silva.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
does it count if you get forced out of ur club at a late age??

Like Raul? i think if he wasnt forced out then he was RM for life.

Terry, Schweinsteiger, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Chiellini, Marchisio.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
So Pique, Silva, DDR - the usual suspects.

And yeah, I forgot Chiellini.

Fletcher, hmmm.. You never know what'll happen when Man Utd has enough money to buy a better DM. I'm not belittling him, but he's not exactly world-class.

There are no bandieras anymore, all mercenaries... when Del Piero and Totti retire the last two will be gone, we lost our last one when Paolo retired

Yes, so I assume what you mean is that the lure of money is so strong nowadays that Bandiere tend not to exist.

And paying more is never gonna work out, because at some point, some other club will always offer more.

So my point is, the only way to hold on to a player is by providing him non-monetary things. Respect, Power etc are the obvious alternatives.

One could argue that Gerrard and Totti are still where they are right now (even though they havent won the league in ages) because of exactly this.

scarecrows

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Ambro?

he might not be of the same caliber of Maldini but it's been around 20 years he's playing for us

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
You want the definition??????
Three of the greatest midfielders of our eraa

:proud:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
So we're talking players under 25????

Abate could be for Milan. He keeps growing. He's on pace to be a great FB (atleast I believe in his potential, and do think he'll be our future captain probably after thiago). But he does have a ways to go before we can say that. All I can say is if you could be world class on pure heart and desire, he would be....

Can't ever see Thiago going to another italian club but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually went abroad.

Other than that at milan? I guess we gotta see what all these youngsters in primavera turn to be? ATM the true milan bandiere are all over 30...

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Rafael Da Silva will eventually leave Madrid, probably not to a EPL rival but any other European Elite.

Nah, Rafael is a loyan + humble kid. He's had an emotional attachment to United since he was 16. Fletcher will stay for the rest of his career.

There isn't that many around now.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I's say pique,fletcher,schweini,chiellini,de rossi and maybe thiago silva.

I've never gotten the impression that Chiellini has any great loyalty to Juventus. Marchisio is the Juve player who I would say is most likely to spend his career there. He's a local boy, he's been there since a ridiculously young age, and he'll probably never be good enough to be a target for Madrid & co.

Nah, Rafael is a loyan + humble kid. He's had an emotional attachment to United since he was 16. Fletcher will stay for the rest of his career.

There isn't that many around now.

I reckon Fletcher might end his career at Celtic, once his legs start to go.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I've never gotten the impression that Chiellini has any great loyalty to Juventus. Marchisio is the Juve player who I would say is most likely to spend his career there. He's a local boy, he's been there since a ridiculously young age, and he'll probably never be good enough to be a target for Madrid & co.

I reckon Fletcher might end his career at Celtic, once his legs start to go.

fletcher is a celtic supporter? He didn't strike me as being in the whole celtic/ranger rivalry (read: doesn't seem like a complete douchebag)

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

well he has been a starter since 2006 and as he developed into a top CB, hes stuck with them even tho they have been shit, and just signed a new long term contract, theres a high possibility he will stay with them for a long time.

yeh marchisio is probably jube for life.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
fletcher is a celtic supporter? He didn't strike me as being in the whole celtic/ranger rivalry (read: doesn't seem like a complete douchebag)

He's not from Glasgow. He's from a tiny villiage with about 10 thousand people. Dalkieth I think it's called.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score

He's not from Glasgow. He's from a tiny villiage with about 10 thousand people. Dalkieth I think it's called.

Aye, Dalkeith. But being from outside Glasgow doesn't stop Old Firm fans from being vile, bigoted subhumans. I remember our bus getting attacked by Rangers fans in some godforsaken little village.

Fletcher got out of that shite early though, and Ferguson will have beaten it out of him.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Ps. I love the use or world village instead of town. Really denotes a sense of backwards colonialism. Paints the immage of Fletcher living in rags in a straw hut and clubs pheasants with a big stick so he could eat dinner.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I think De Rossi is likely Roma for life

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So we're talking players under 25????

Abate could be for Milan. He keeps growing. He's on pace to be a great FB (atleast I believe in his potential, and do think he'll be our future captain probably after thiago). But he does have a ways to go before we can say that. All I can say is if you could be world class on pure heart and desire, he would be....

Cant really see Abate being around when we spend more and more money in the next couple of years. Let's be honest, Abate was a part of our transition season, and a very important part even now. But he's not world class. Yeah, pure heart and desire can take you so far, and I do hope Abate can make it, but I have serious doubts.

Yes, another thing - will be crucial for the team, wont be good enough to make that next big step. Marchisio is a classic example. Another one of the same mould that I can think of is Lavezzi at Napoli. He fits in perfectly there, but can't see him making a Milan/Madrid type move.

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Why u guys see Chiellini as super loyal player ?
He's always strike me as someone that would leave if receive good offer from madrid, chelsea, hell even milan or inter. Marchissio is on other hands, he's remind me to Ambrosini.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Cant really see Abate being around when we spend more and more money in the next couple of years. Let's be honest, Abate was a part of our transition season, and a very important part even now. But he's not world class. Yeah, pure heart and desire can take you so far, and I do hope Abate can make it, but I have serious doubts.

I think he's gonna have to hit a severe run of bad form for Galliani to quit on him in next few years.

He reminds me a bit of Gattuso and Ambrosini. Players made on pure determination and desire over skill.

We'll see but we know how Galliani and co. are. Definitely patient with players like 'this'.

Just saying other clubs (coughMADRIDcough) would have dumped antonini, abate, flamini among others... Whether you agree or disagree with that policy is a different q

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
De Rossi, Marchisio, Chiellini,... there's a couple. Difficult to tell nowadays.

Players like Maldini, Zanetti, Totti, Del Piero, Raul,... these are the true Bandiere of our generation.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think he's gonna have to hit a severe run of bad form for Galliani to quit on him in next few years.

He reminds me a bit of Gattuso and Ambrosini. Players made on pure determination and desire over skill.

We'll see but we know how Galliani and co. are. Definitely patient with players like 'this'.

Just saying other clubs (coughMADRIDcough) would have dumped antonini, abate, flamini among others... Whether you agree or disagree with that policy is a different q

Yup, as a policy this is one of the most attractive ones of Milan. Or rather, of Galliani.

But imagine us filling all the holes in our team in a season or two from now. Except for Abate at RB. Popular demand would then be to have a better RB. No one wants Abate to be replaced now because replacements for Antonini, Seedorf and a long-term Nesta replacement are the priorities. Let's see.

Dont get me wrong. I am starting to really like him and his spirit. And I hope he becomes exactly like Gattuso in terms of attitude and success.

HeroMaldini

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Pato, Kaka(he'll be back!) Prince, Abate, Ibra, Robbie Keane
Ambrosini surely is one, hes Milan through and through which is why hes my favourite Milan players since Paolo retired... plus he HATES inter hahaaa

de rossi from roma is another, i have huge respect for him as a player and how much he loves his club