African Football

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
A thread where we can discuss African football and African footballers.

I'll start with the upcoming CAF (Confederation of African Football) ACN (African Cup of Nations) due to be hosted by Ghana in 2008. Countries are divided into twelve groups with group-winners guaranteed a place while the 4 best runners up will also be picked. Here's the official current standings.

Also found this interesting little piece on Eto'o Junior . The article mentions Yaya Toure, a midfielder who played in the WC for CIV + also played for Olimpiakos last season.

Metalheadache

Il Capitano
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Janku, Kaka, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Pippo, Gilardino, Dida & Co.
Nice.... at least we know something about African football ;)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, madtherchot :D

I'll try + contribute regularly, as much as time permits, esp. on Ivory Coast, one problem is articles out of there are in French of course, + since translating everything would be asked a little much, this thread is also going to be an exercise in tolerance for some overzealous mods.

For updates on African football, BBC are doing a fairly decent job, at least regarding the big names + big issues ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/default.stm

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
What are the national leagues like in Africa? Are they popular within the individual countries at all, or it mostly european-centric fandom?
And who are the current African Champions league holders? Im probably showing my ignorance by calling it that, but I would welcome corrections to my nomenclature :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
You're welcome. I've been meaning to do this for a while now.

radioactivenerd said:
What are the national leagues like in Africa? Are they popular within the individual countries at all, or it mostly european-centric fandom?
And who are the current African Champions league holders? Im probably showing my ignorance by calling it that, but I would welcome corrections to my nomenclature :D

Well, I can't really comment on the whole continent, but I can confidently say the local leagues of Egypt, Tunisia, Morroco and South Africa have a large following mainly because of the richer clubs they have + the talented players they tend to buy. Recently, Angola, Namibia, Nigeria, Ghana and CIV have had decent sides entered in to the Champions league, with Nigerian side Enyimba winning two in a row two and three years ago. Current champions are Egyptian side Al Ahly, who made it to the Semis of the World Club Cup only to lose out to the eventual winners. I think Zamalek (EGY) has won the tournament the most number of times ... 5 times.

There's also the Confederation Cup (similar to Uefa Cup) but that isn't highly covered. But all details of these competitions are in the CAF official website.

Here's an article on what the future holds in store for African Nations, with new policies in place trying to give equal opportunities (for development) for the not so developed African footballing countries.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Last year's CAF Champions League season : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAF_Champions_League_2006]

Unless our 2 or 3 African forum members are willing to shed some light on football in their homelands, questions regarding African domestic leagues are better asked in African forums. Having never lived there, having no ties except to some Algerian + Moroccan (very Frenchified) expats + having merely started to become interested in more than just supporting the African 'underdogs' in the World Cup, I don't feel competent to tackle the issue.

http://forum.cybereagles.com (Nigeria)
http://discussions.ghanaweb.com

Google around.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
madtherchot said:
The article mentions Yaya Toure, a midfielder who played in the WC for CIV + also played for Olimpiakos last season.

I havent seen Yaya Toure play but they say he is better then his brother.Arsenal,Barcelona are intrested in him...

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Edi said:
I havent seen Yaya Toure play but they say he is better then his brother.Arsenal,Barcelona are intrested in him...
Yaya Touré I thought was quite eye-catching + impressive in the World Cup but strangely none of the 'big' European teams made an attempt to sign him...

He's having a good season @ Monaco, even if Monaco aren't exactly title contenders...

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than bigger bro Tolo ... but then, I'm quite the Tolo fan :D Also, he's a defensive midfielder so it's hard to compare the two. I saw a few of his games while he was at Olimpiakos in last season's UCL, where he was equally impressive. He also looked good during ACN 2006 in Egypt ... though, it must be said, the linchpin in the Ivorian midfield is Zokora of Spurs. Haven't seen Yaya this season.

Do you really want me to shed some light on the Zambian Premier League? :D Well, it's hardly competitive nowadays with Zanaco (Zambia National Commercial Bank) picking trophy after trophy. The recent trend has seen bigger clubs from the South African PSL and, to a lesser extent, Namibia, pick up most Zambian players. Zanaco, on the other hand, aren't short of funds in a league which is short of sponsorship, and hence, have the advantage.

In earlier years when Zambia was a huge African Footballing force, the then thriving copper mines sponsored top teams such as Mufulira Wanderers (where Kalusha Bwalya was developed) and Nkana Red Devils who recently relegated for the first time in their + ZPL's history - they've won the tittle the most. In the 1974 (?) ACN final, most players from both teams (Zambia and then Zaire) played in the ZPL.

Nowadays, we've resorted to finding bigger European teams to support in addition to our heart breakers as damage management caused by Zanaco. Some still seem keen on being disappointed with West Ham United a popular outfit in my neighborhood. But EPL's relatively big because it's covered by our media unfortunately much more than our very own Premier League.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
madtherchot said:
Well I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than bigger bro Tolo ... but then, I'm quite the Tolo fan :D Also, he's a defensive midfielder so it's hard to compare the two. I saw a few of his games while he was at Olimpiakos in last season's UCL, where he was equally impressive. He also looked good during ACN 2006 in Egypt ... though, it must be said, the linchpin in the Ivorian midfield is Zokora of Spurs. Haven't seen Yaya this season.
I rate him above his brother. He has the size and ability to be a Diarra/Vieira type player. The World Cup showcased this, but unfortunately the Ivory Coast was in the Group of Death. He was incredibly noticeable from that holding midfield position in all three group matches v. elite international sides in Holland and Argentina, and a very good side in Serbia. I honestly think he could excel in England, Spain, or Italy in due time.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
DonippoKakaGourdini said:
I honestly think he could excel in England, Spain, or Italy in due time.
And in due time is NOW. Turning 24 in May, he should be ready for a bit of a challenge. If only Milan were a more attractive destination :rolleyes:

---

It's CAF Champions League + Confederations Cup weekend btw (1/8 final stage, 1st leg).

CL fixtures :

Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) v Ahly (Egypt)
Nasarawa United (Nigeria) v Al Hilal (Sudan)
Maranatha Fiokpo (Togo) v Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
Etoile (Congo) v Al-Ittihad (Libya)
ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire) 2-0 Wydad Casablanca (Morocco)
Esperance (Tunisia) 3-0 Young Africans (Tanzania)
TP Mazembe (Congo) v FAR Rabat (Morocco)
Cotonsport Garoua (Cameroon) v JS Kabylie (Algeria)

Confederations Cup fixtures :

Atraco (Rwanda) 2-2 Gaouafel Gafsa (Tunisia)
ASO Chlef (Algeria) v Al-Merreikh (Sudan)
Issia Wazi (Cote d’Ivoire) 1-0 CS Sfaxien (Tunisia)
Ismaili (Egypt) 2-1 Green Buffaloes (Zambia)
Benfica Luanda (Angola) v Astres Douala (Cameroon)
Etoile Filante (Burkina Faso) v Mwana Africa (Zimbabwe)
Dolphins (Nigeria) v Hassania Agadir (Morocco)
Union Douala (Cameroon) v Kwara Utd (Nigeria)

-edited to add scores-

Last edited:

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
I think that I have some things to say in this thread, being an Egyptian and part of African football all of the time. This is a very good thread, and maybe will be one of the most successful threads on this boards ... hopefully I will be a regular contributer.

I feel I should start by talking about my country ... Egypt. Egypt is the most African team to win the African Cup of Nations ... we won it five times in 1957, 1959, 1986, 1998, 2006. Egypt has played in two World Cups, the two times to be hosted by Italy, 1934 and 1990. Both times failing to pass group stages, but we played a memorable match against Netherlands, the World's best team at that time; and we drew 1-1 with them in a game that we deserved to win. We left the tournament after a 1-0 defeat against England and a draw with Ireland. Our most capped player and all time goalscorer has to be the veteran Hossam Hassan. Egypt currently is building a new generation in order to reach World Cup 2010 in South Africa and to defend our African title in Ghana 2008.

As for the team I support, I've mentioned it more than once ... It's Zamalek from Egypt. My favorite team, I like it even more than Milan ... I support it with passion. Zamalek has won the Egyptian league 11 times, Egyptian cup 22 times, Egyptian super cup 2 times, African Champions league 5 times, African super cup 3 times, etc ... Total of 57 tournaments.

I think that was enough for my first post in this thread, I don't have any time to write more now ... but I will be a regular poster in this thread and give you all the information I know about African football.

madtherchot said:
I think Zamalek (EGY) has won the tournament the most number of times ... 5 times.

True. That's my team ;)

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Faяouk said:
Our most capped player and all time goalscorer has to be the veteran Hossam Hassan.
I've always liked Baldie Hassan. Brought you your 4th African Cup in the 1998 final against defending champions South Africa, remember? Pitty you knocked Zambia out in the group stages :rolleyes:
Faяouk said:
Egypt currently is building a new generation in order to reach World Cup 2010 in Ghana and to defend our title.
:conf: World Cup's in South Africa and I don't remember Egypt winning it in 2006 :tongue: African Cup 2008 should solve the problem ;)

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
madtherchot said:
I've always liked Baldie Hassan. Brought you your 4th African Cup in the 1998 final against defending champions South Africa, remember? Pitty you knocked Zambia out in the group stages :rolleyes:

Of course I do ;) BTW, before the tournament everybody in Egypt believed that we will get out of the group stages, Morocco + Zambia were better than us ... there was no chance we were going to beat Morocco [we never do, even if we are miles better ... Egypt usually fails against other northern african teams, specially Morocco] So we had to beat you before we play Morocco to make sure we qualified. Thanks to Hassan we won 4-0 :tongue: Hazem Emam, my Idol was at his top that time ... was still young and full of youth, ever heard of him?

madtherchot said:
:conf: World Cup's in South Africa and I don't remember Egypt winning it in 2006 :tongue: African Cup 2008 should solve the problem ;)

Oh shit, that was a bad typo. I edited it ... I meant we needed to qualify to World Cup 2010 in South Africa, and defend our title in Ghana.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Faяouk said:
Thanks to Hassan we won 4-0 :tongue: Hazem Emam, my Idol was at his top that time ... was still young and full of youth, ever heard of him?
You really had to remind me of the score now, did you? :rolleyes: I'm sure I have ... post a link about him ;)

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:
I'm sure I have ... post a link about him ;)

Hazem Emam is one of the most talented Egyptian footballers in history. He started his career in shooting club youth, then he went to El Zamalek, the clube of his father and grand father. He used to enter as a sub in his first couple of seasons. When he reached 20 Ruud Kroll took him to the African Nations Cup 1996, Hazem excelled in the tournament and got snapped by Udinese. Two days later Sir Alex Ferguson called his father to ask for his service [only if he had waited two fucking days, he would have been a United star] After joining Udinese they called him 'Zico of the Pyramids'
Nice article about him in Italian [I want a translating program or website ... help??] Zacherionni refused to play him in his regular position, the playmaker ... behind the two strikers, and decided to play him upfront. At that time Bierhoff/Amoruso were having two rocking seasons, in which Udinese finished 5th and 3rd. Emam decided to move ... he went to Di Graphshap in Holland on loan and had an amazing season; Ajax wanted his service but Udinese refused ... in January 2001 he returned to his home, Zamalek.

His wikipedia

Winning the Pepsi World Challenge in 2001

A video of his skills

I have the Pepsi World Challenge video on my PC, I'll upload it soon and post it here along with his pictures.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Faяouk said:
Hazem Emam is one of the most talented Egyptian footballers in history.
Oh no... not again :rolleyes: Ferguson called him up + a couple days later he found himself on the bench of a not so famous Dutch club.

Spare us hyping up this fucking no-name again + again.

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
Oh no... not again :rolleyes: Ferguson called him up + a couple days later he found himself on the bench of a not so famous Dutch club.

Spare us hyping up this fucking no-name again + again.

I'm just stating the whole truth on one of Egypt's best players ;) But it isn't all his fault that he didn't make it in Europe, but it's rather our mentality and the way players get raised here which makes 90% of Egyptian players who go to Europe return again to Egypt after a little period. Only who broke this rule were: Mido who is struggling to become a star like Drogba or Ibrahimovic who he played with, Ahmed Hassan who also didn't become a famous star, Zidan who is struggling to get a Werder Bremen chance, and others who play in mid table teams in turkey.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
According to Abidjan.net Africa Sport, currently second in the Ivorian 1st division, are in the process of striking up a partnership with Inter who will help build a youth academy.

Inter are really about to make it a habit to always be a step ahead of us :o

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
^^^^^dont worry, the REAL talent will be scouted by our wave-surfing and kangaroo-hunting scouts in down-under. :o

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta
Al-Ahly is Africa's most successful club. These guys are good. I think the same place from where Hossam Mido (ex Roma) is from (?!)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
8-04-2007, Cafonline.com
Latest results: MTN CAF Champions League and Confederation Cup

MTN CAF Champions League

Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) 2-2 Ahly (Egypt)
Nasarawa United (Nigeria) 3-0 Al Hilal (Sudan)
Maranatha Fiokpo (Togo) 0-0 Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
Etoile (Congo) 3-1 Al-Ittihad (Libya)
ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire) 2-0 Wydad Casablanca (Morocco)
Esperance (Tunisia) 3-0 Young Africans (Tanzania)
TP Mazembe (Congo) 1-0 FAR Rabat (Morocco)
Cotonsport Garoua (Cameroon) 1-0 JS Kabylie (Algeria)

CAF Confederation Cup

Atraco (Rwanda) 2-2 Gaouafel Gafsa (Tunisie)
ASO Chlef (Algérie) 1-0 Al-Merreikh (Soudan)
Issia Wazi (Côte d’Ivoire) 1-0 CS Sfaxien (Tunisie)
Ismaili (Egypte) 2-1 Green Buffaloes (Zambie)
Benfica Luanda (Angola) 3-0 Astres Douala (Cameroun)
Etoile Filante (Burkina Faso) 2-0 Mwana Africa (Zimbabwe)
Dolphins (Nigéria) 1-0 Hassania Agadir (Maroc)
Union Douala (Cameroun) 1-1 Kwara Utd (Nigeria)

---

Second leg matches are scheduled for April 20-22.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Faяouk said:
. When he reached 20 Ruud Kroll took him to the African Nations Cup 1996, Hazem excelled in the tournament and got snapped by Udinese.

Isn't that the tournament where, after being a goal down, Zambia came back back to beat Egypt 3-1 in the quarter finals? :D

Chipolopolo!!!

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
Oh, aren't you grateful I posted this link like centuries ago ? :o

Really, don't test my patience. There's an Emam thread, started by you, where you can dump your love declarations for this dud.

Yes I am grateful that you did post this link, and I won't bring that Emam issue again it's just that madtherchot wanted to know more about him. ;)

ORez said:
Ahly is the best team in Africa, I think that's were Mido started his career

You are WRONG. El Zamalek is the best team in Africa, and Mido started his career in Zamalek and is a huge fan; he has promised to finish his career with them.

madtherchot said:
Isn't that the tournament where, after being a goal down, Zambia came back back to beat Egypt 3-1 in the quarter finals? :D

Chipolopolo!!!

Yes it is, but you didn't win the tournament in the end; and two years later we taught you a lesson in football when we hammered you 4-0 ;) BTW, how are they doing now? they've been on the decline and I hardly hear about them these days.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Cameroon star makes Arsenal Nice player ... can be suspect of giving up possession a little to easily, but he's better than average IMO.

In other news, Ivorian side Asec beat Morocco's Wydad Casablanca 2-0 in the third round, first leg tie of the Champions League.

Ooops ... didn't see your post Passion :D

Ismaili (Egypte) 2-1 Green Buffaloes (Zambie) ... looks a positive result + something to build on but I've Buffaloes (i.e. Zambian Army's team) throw away even better away results at home. Zanaco, as usual, out before the tournament even really kicked off ... they suck :o

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Clubs demoted in Ghanaian scandal

Durosimi Thomas
BBC Sport, Accra

Four clubs in Ghana's second tier of football have been demoted to the fourth tier by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) for match-fixing.

The quartet - Great Mariners, Nania FC, Okwawu United and Tudu Mighty Jets - were also fined US$20,000 following Wednesday's findings.

The GFA also decided to ban certain players and officials from the clubs for a year.

All the players who were on the pitch at the end of both games, including two late substitutes, have been banned for 12 months from all competitions organised by the GFA.

The ban affects three-time African Footballer of Year, Abedi Ayew Pele, who owns and manages Nania FC.

Nania and Mariners were level on points in their group and needed to win their final matches to qualify for the country's top league, the Premiership.

Nania beat Okwawu United 31-0 while Great Mariners triumphed 28-0 over Mighty Jets in the First Division last month.

Pele was banned because he was present on the technical bench of his side on the day of the match.

Meanwhile, Mighty Jets have indicated that they will appeal their second ban in four years.

The Tudu-based club were banned for one year in 2003 for withdrawing from a competition organised by the GFA but were later reinstated after a court action.

"Our lawyers are studying the verdict but for sure we will appeal against this gross injustice that has been perpetrated without evidence," Mighty Jets president Abubakar Nallah told BBC Sport.

"There should be no illusions about this because we will fight this to the hilt, like we did in 2003."

---

I somewhat followed the story on Ghanaweb + can't deny I'm surprised the GFA acted so quickly. Since some high profile guys are involved, I mean even I have heard of Abedi Pele before ;) , I can't help but wonder if the rulings will be enforced.....

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, it is quite shocking that the Ghanaian Federation is acting on it quickly + harshly. What isn't surprising is you knowing Abedi Pele ;) ... a great player :star: Sad that he's involving himself in such activities especially since younger players, who have him as an idol, might just be getting the wrong ideas. So big props to the GFA.

ALL AFRICA Games : Decision time for last four

The battle for the remaining four slots for the 2007 All Africa Games will be decided this weekend as the second leg of the third round qualifiers is cleared.

Following last Monday's draw, all eight teams are said to be having high hopes of competing at the Algiers games.

In Yaounde, Cameroon have a tall order to overturn a two goal deficit against Gabon in Zone IV to confirm a place in Group B. It is in this regard that coach Martin Ndtoungou Mpile has invited some six foreign based players including Christian Bekamenga of Indonesia first division side Persib Bandung and Ngfal Serge of Unaio Leira in Portugal for the second leg.

According to Mpile, "As the defending champions, we cannot afford to miss out.Thats why we are approaching the game with the seriousness it deserves."

The Young Teranga Lions of Senegal hosts Guinea in Dakar in the determination of the solitary slot of Zone II after a one all draw in the first leg.

Zambia's 4-0 thrashing of Mozambique :-)devil: ... at least the base for a future revival is there) in Maputo, puts them a step closer to the games.Former Star, Peter Kaumba and his boys are not taking chances and have promised to mark their qualification in grand style with another convincing win.South Africa looks set to wrap up the second ticket of Zone VI against Bostwana with a two goal lead from the first leg.

The winners of the Zambia-Mozambique and Botswana-South Africa games will play in Groups B and A respectively.

The All Africa Games comes off in July in Algiers.

The full fixtures
Zone II
Guinea 1-1 Senegal
Senegal vs Guinea

Zone IV
Gabon 2-0 Cameroon
Cameroon vs Gabon

ZONE VI
Mozambique 0-4 Zambia
Zambia vs Mozambique

South Africa 2-0 Botswana
Botswana vs South Africa