Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Is UFC still a thing except for the good PPV here and there?

I miss the packed events :(

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Last card was amazing tbh even if it wasn't super stacked on paper, the fights delivered.

There are still great cards here there but they did suffer from losing some great fighters to Bellator and USADA. Still the best org in terms of MMA.

Also a big issue are the constant injuries and missed weight cuts messing up events. The Tony thing, the issue with Holloway, etc. 229 looks good with Khabib v Conor and Tony v Pettis. Some other nice fights on there too and the O Malley kid is on that card.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
all true

but the biggest issue the way i see it is that they have waaaay to many events.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Draw was bullshit in the first, ggg won pretty easily IMO, turned me off this rematch.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
all true

but the biggest issue the way i see it is that they have waaaay to many events.

Certainly true but every time there is a weekend without UFC I get MMA withdrawals :lol: Double edged sword for me.

Draw was bullshit in the first, ggg won pretty easily IMO, turned me off this rematch.

Oh yeah Adelaide Byrd 100% corrupt. Disgusting decision especially now that Canelo has been exposed as juicer(not buying his tainted meat excuse - he looked huge for his weight class last fight anyway).

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck those judges - again

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah i don't see how you could come away with Canelo winning that, but it was at least closer than the first and a draw in this one wouldn't of been so bad, I thought ggg won again, great fight though.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I got it 7-5 GGG, maybe even 8-4 because some rounds were really close. It's crazy to think a 36 year old dictated the tempo in the second half of the fight vs a 28 year old guy with a PED history.

unda

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Man I'm the biggest GGG fan for real, but I dont know how people are scoring the fight for GGG or even call it a robbery.

Triple G should retire for good now he is getting slower and slower. No chance he would win a rematch.

I dont even like the guy but Canelo wanted to prove something and he delivered in this one. Controlled the ring and the tempo almost for the whole fight. First GGG fight I saw where he was on the backfoot almost the whole time.

Canelo had the better defense, was more aggressiv and did more damage obviously and overall just way to fast for GGG. Triple G got more power and a better chin and yes there were 1-2 moments where Triple G stunned him a bit but that does not make up for being outboxed most of the fight. Im really disappointed but I guess age is gonna catch up eventually.

It's crazy to think a 36 year old dictated the tempo in the second half of the fight

I dont get how one could say that, I dont know maybe Im overcritical of GGG but I saw none of that. Yes he jabbed more and landed more but he could not get a hold of Canelo. He could not one time corner Canelo or get him to the ropes, there is now way that this was the fight that GGG wanted. In the first fight Canelo gased in the middle rounds but here was none of that, he seemed fresh even going into the 10th. I feel if the fight would have been 1-2 rounds longer Canelo would even have won a TKO.

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just because triple G wasn't completely demolishing Canelo doesn't mean he wasn't winning or dictating the tempo. Yes, it wasn't his best fight - he is fighting one of the best boxers there is, that's going to happen and props for Canelo to manage to not get backed against the rope for many rounds, but it did eventually happen - a testament to GGG's pressure.

How can you say that Canelo did more damage when he was the one that was starting to fade and stumble towards the end?

The first half of the fight was very even but the second half GGG was much more in control and got even better in the later rounds.

unda

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Thats baffling really, altough I see most of the guys who screamed robbery directly after the fight now say it was close for GGG or a draw so thats that. How can you score it close like 115-113 and call it a robbery. Man a robbery? I can tolerate scoring it a draw or very close for GGG but thats no way a robbery.

Do you score just on punches thrown and jabs thrown? Because thats literally the only way you could score it for GGG.

Would you really argue that:

1) altough Canelo was throwing less overall he was way more effective

2) Canelo did control the ring for almost the whole fight

3) Canelo did land more Power Punches

4) Canelo had better defense altough that I would say thats close

5) Canelo did go to the body a lot where as GGG was headhunting

6) Canelo overall did more damage to GGG then vice versa, imo was obvious after the fight, GGG's face was all swollen up not even considering all the body punches he ate. He never looked like this after any fight.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbrianmazique%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F2018-09-15_23-25-10.jpg

props for Canelo to manage to not get backed against the rope for many rounds, but it did eventually happen - a testament to GGG's pressure.

How can you say that Canelo did more damage when he was the one that was starting to fade and stumble towards the end?

Yeah it did happen for maybe like a minute and GGG couldnt take advantage of that and yeah he had Canelo being rocked a bit like 2 times but he couldnt follow up, he ate counter punches after that.

Triple G did came back strong in the later rounds but it was to late and its not like he steamrolled Canelo. There is for example no way that GGG won the 12th round in my eyes.

Anyway, its higly subjectiv afterall and everybody scores differently and I can tolerate most scorecards, but no way a robbery.

Gonna rewatch the fight later maybe I missed some.

Last edited:

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
I box.

Ggg won an overall even fight in the later rounds wobbling canelo a few times. Most of canelos hard shots were to the body in which he put up good numbers but it's hard to call it effective when ggg was not affected by them.

If fights still went 15 canelo would have hit canvas by 14.

Coming from a canelo fanboy.

Also wasn't impressed by either of their footwork.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'll give you that unda - how you score this fight will depend on what you put importance upon. I thought about it and figured if we want to judge it in favor of Canelo, then we could definitely do it if we put the onus on body language. Canelo did look more forceful in his attacks. Another thing which Canelo did really well was his active defense.

But if we're looking at damage and output, I cannot give it to Canelo. A swollen face is a bad way to measure things - some people get marked easier than others visually. What I think of in terms of damage are things like knockdowns and getting stunned or dazed. Canelo wasn't knocked down but he was stunned and dazed towards the end.

What we can definitely all agree upon though is that this was a very good fight, very entertaining.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
So, Conor or Khabib?

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Heart says Khabib, brain says Connor

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think Khabib wins this 8 out 10 times via decision or Conor tapping to strikes.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Conor round one

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
kebab round 2 KO. mark my words.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
mousasi obliterated rory in the 2nd round, wtf was rory thinking :lol:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Makes me sad that we can't see Moose vs Whittaker, Yoel, etc :(

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
mousse is too good. You either need punching power, iron chin, super speed and reflexes or the ability to put someone out with kicks (head kicks/low calf kicks etc) to compete with guys in heavier weight classes. ideally you need a combination or all of those above mentioned attributes but even just 2 would suffice along with cardio obviously. Unfortunately Rory is not particularly fast, has an average chin, no ko power in his hands or feet and despite having above average cardio, he lacks that additional key attribute that would complement his skillset and translate his skills smoothly into a higher weight class.
for example Douglas lima or Woodley would fare much better and would be a hard fight for mousasi because both have KO power, speed and a better chin.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Dana's stupid orange head really fucked up when he let the Moose go.

How so?

Also my man Diaz is backkk :star:

Should be the other way around in my book. Conor is really good, but we haven't seen significant improvements in the area he is weak: cardio and ground game, two things Khabib excels at.

Hopefully this was just after a training or something, the guy is seriously out of breath.

Last edited:

Schedule