IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
da7c073b9725d47d439cc7b82472bba9.jpg

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Honestly, it's not even about improvement or results. I simply don't understand what he's trying to do. If there was an idea behind the play but the side was struggling to learn/adapt I would be perfectly fine. At least we would see some purpose

That first half was so abysmal I don't even know what to say. The player positioning, movement, etc. were so bizarre I find it hard to place blame anywhere but the coach

And its not like this is the 2nd or 3rd friendly, we're 3 match days in plus an international break

Sound the Allegri bells

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Leader?! Biglia was invisible in the first half. Bennacer is better than him.

Jesus, Giampaolo is pissing me off.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Honestly, it's not even about improvement or results. I simply don't understand what he's trying to do. If there was an idea behind the play but the side was struggling to learn/adapt I would be perfectly fine. At least we would see some purpose

That first half was so abysmal I don't even know what to say. The player positioning, movement, etc. were so bizarre I find it hard to place blame anywhere but the coach

And its not like this is the 2nd or 3rd friendly, we're 3 match days in plus an international break

Sound the Allegri bells

I agree completely. I have no idea what he is doing. If he saw what he was trying, and it wasn't working, I'd calm down. But I have no idea what he's doing. What his rationale is.

I hope and pray that this is the sort of thing where the people who called for Alex Ferguson to be sacked look stupid after he became a great manager.

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Biglia was literally hiding behind his marker, offering no movement to free up space :lol:

If that's GP's example of a leader his Milan tenure will be over in record time

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Posters are getting worked up. I’d love the team to hit the ground running but it’s not gonna be like this. We are going to struggle until we get better and that’s normal.

I don’t like it and it’s frustrating but it’s not like the coach is clueless, he’s implementing his way and it’ll take time.

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree completely. I have no idea what he is doing. If he saw what he was trying, and it wasn't working, I'd calm down. But I have no idea what he's doing. What his rationale is.

I hope and pray that this is the sort of thing where the people who called for Alex Ferguson to be sacked look stupid after he became a great manager.

Its never been this bad throughout these banter years

I can't even blame any of the players, they seem genuinely confused by what GP wants them to do

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba

The above fan doesnt get the system.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Posters are getting worked up. I’d love the team to hit the ground running but it’s not gonna be like this. We are going to struggle until we get better and that’s normal.

I don’t like it and it’s frustrating but it’s not like the coach is clueless, he’s implementing his way and it’ll take time.
On the other hand , this one does.

Bagheera

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

I can't even blame any of the players, they seem genuinely confused by what GP wants them to do

The negativity in this place is unreal - we played Verona away, it was never going to be pretty. It's three games into the season, at least judge progression after a minimum 10 games. We won tonight - last season this would have been drawn, so progression is already happening.

People on here need to remember that rebuilding after many bad years isn't going to result in immediate success. Small steps. If you don't like it, fuck off and support man city or some other shit like that

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Musacchio vs Hellas Verona:

97% passing accuracy
14 duels won
3 clearances
5 blocks
6 interceptions
7 tackles won

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I've been able to excuse others, because there just weren't choices.

Giampaolo has a deeper squad than Milan has had in years. I don't think it is a good squad, nor do I think it is a Milan-worthy squad, but he has choices. He doesn't have Montolivo, Bertolacci, and Mauri on the bench.

He has one of the most talented young midfielders in Serie A in Bennacer and yet he started Biglia. Biglia didn't do enough for me to agree with his choice.

When Andre Silva started instead of Piatek, Andre Silva did very well.

However, every other choice that Giampaolo has made has been the wrong one. He's still using Suso, but we've actually played better when he's not in possession. Leao might've been a nice pair of fresh legs for Piatek to close out the game, put pressure on Verona.

I honestly don't get what he's doing.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
GP will have Grinta haters begging for Gattuso

Milanista92

Milan Legend
Reaction score
its funny how pre season giampaolo stopped the sale of suso and after the first game he says the players cant fit his system and moves suso to the right. lmao

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The negativity in this place is unreal - we played Verona away, it was never going to be pretty. It's three games into the season, at least judge progression after a minimum 10 games. We won tonight - last season this would have been drawn, so progression is already happening.

People on here need to remember that rebuilding after many bad years isn't going to result in immediate success. Small steps. If you don't like it, fuck off and support man city or some other shit like that

I love positivity. I love supporting this team. But my problem is that I'm not seeing the small steps.

I agree, Verona was going to be an ugly, tough game. The pitch was shockingly bad. But my issue is, again, what are we doing? Giampaolo has been sold as this philosopher-tactician-genius and I'm not seeing his concepts.

Suso doesn't even pretend that he's playing as an SS, he's just floating on the wing doing the same thing he always does. Biglia is playing when we have Bennacer.

With Gattuso, I understood why he did the things that he did, even when I disagreed with them, I understood what he was doing. He made huge mistakes, everyone does, but I'm not seeing the playing style that Giampaolo is famed for. I know it takes time, but I'm worried, I haven't seen any steps forward.

m1lan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
What an absolute shambles that was. I’m not one for calling for a manager to be sacked. But that was abysmal and questions must be asked.

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I was optimistic as hell before the match, all I want is some sort of direction or progress but atm it seems hopeless and regressing

As of now I am in the counting the days until Allegri takes over camp

I've been able to excuse others, because there just weren't choices.

Giampaolo has a deeper squad than Milan has had in years. I don't think it is a good squad, nor do I think it is a Milan-worthy squad, but he has choices. He doesn't have Montolivo, Bertolacci, and Mauri on the bench.

He has one of the most talented young midfielders in Serie A in Bennacer and yet he started Biglia. Biglia didn't do enough for me to agree with his choice.

When Andre Silva started instead of Piatek, Andre Silva did very well.

However, every other choice that Giampaolo has made has been the wrong one. He's still using Suso, but we've actually played better when he's not in possession. Leao might've been a nice pair of fresh legs for Piatek to close out the game, put pressure on Verona.

I honestly don't get what he's doing.

Imo its a pretty good squad when you consider the level of competition

Yeah I agree on that, he seems to be making such weird decisions. I'm not a coach and I don't have the information available he does, but I've been watching this for so long and can tell when something isn't right

I saw some people in the match thread blaming Piatek but I don't necessarily agree, the way he's been asked to play is so awkward. Suso drifts out wide completely distances himself from the attack, and then Paqueta pushes up to fill his gap, and then Piatek is forced to either push out wide or be crowded up top with Paqueta. In what world is that a successful formula for the attack

I really hope we see something else next week because its not looking pretty

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
When was it that we played futuristic football? I can't remember

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I love positivity. I love supporting this team. But my problem is that I'm not seeing the small steps.

I agree, Verona was going to be an ugly, tough game. The pitch was shockingly bad. But my issue is, again, what are we doing? Giampaolo has been sold as this philosopher-tactician-genius and I'm not seeing his concepts.

Suso doesn't even pretend that he's playing as an SS, he's just floating on the wing doing the same thing he always does. Biglia is playing when we have Bennacer.

With Gattuso, I understood why he did the things that he did, even when I disagreed with them, I understood what he was doing. He made huge mistakes, everyone does, but I'm not seeing the playing style that Giampaolo is famed for. I know it takes time, but I'm worried, I haven't seen any steps forward.
Gatu played his best players.
He even managed to introduce Cutrone despite having Piatek in kick ass form.
Am not saying Gatu is a better coach... just saying that many players are regressing with GP , even his favorites.
And saying he is adapting his system for unworthy players & insisting on starting them over giving other players who could fit his system a go.

Last edited:

Bagheera

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

I'm not defending Giampaolo, I'm waiting like you to see what happens. I do think though it is impossible to implement a playing style on players within a limited space of time.

As an example, how long have the players played in 4-3-3 with Suso standing out on the right? It's likely Giampaolo is trying to get him to move more central and support Piatek but he's reverting to type, back to where he's comfortable on the wing. Is it the managers fault he isn't maybe following out instructions? I think all will come clear by November(ish) whether GP will succeed or flop.

For what its worth, I personally think this squad will get 4th this year.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
The important thing is that the players have belief

Surely there's some reasoning behind every choice.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not defending Giampaolo, I'm waiting like you to see what happens. I do think though it is impossible to implement a playing style on players within a limited space of time.

As an example, how long have the players played in 4-3-3 with Suso standing out on the right? It's likely Giampaolo is trying to get him to move more central and support Piatek but he's reverting to type, back to where he's comfortable on the wing. Is it the managers fault he isn't maybe following out instructions? I think all will come clear by November(ish) whether GP will succeed or flop.

For what its worth, I personally think this squad will get 4th this year.

If a player isn't doing what you want, take him off. Suso hurts the team. I'd sell him without thinking twice about it. I'd start Rebic ahead of him, and Rebic was very inconsistent today.

I pray you're right about us getting 4th.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
It's an underappreciated fact, the one about our defence+donna having performed well and with an exciting CB competition as well new dimensions with Theo coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule