• Lucas Biglia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nuttela

Super Bludfam
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't confuse running with football else flamini would be the greatest player ever:o. I would rather have a player technically very sound(a younger seedorf) with a better touch and vision than nocerino. Not saying Nocerino is a bad player. He can be a good squad player for sure. But he isnt worthy enough to start. I would rather Ibra and pato take shots than nocerino. They are strikers and have much better accuracy than nocerino/aquilani because they have been getting drilled on shooting their whole life so it could be great to have midfielders who would limit ibra's tendency to drop deep.

yeah i get what ur saying but i know noce's running isnt for the ssake of it, he slows down counters and adds numbers to the back when we need em. so much of his awesome is actually off the ball, he chases down, he slows down opposition play by positioning himself as a temporary barrier until our defence regroups.

the problem is, ibra wants to play creator and we havent seen enough of pato cos of injury... so we've relied on our mids for goals. if prince played, we woulda scored, if cassano played, we would of scored... but they werent.

sigh.... i still love noce tho and i think he can cement his spot in our squad, even if other teams have players of higher capabilities than him. he can make lcm his for now and drop to cdm (imagine that) if we find a player that can consistently perform there

as for now tho, noce is :thumbsup:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
If Tevez comes, what do people think of using something similar to man utd's ucl winning unbalanced 4-4-1-1/4-3-3/4-6-0 formation? It got the most out of Tevez. Ibrahimovic can do the Rooney role where he's playing the hole and the general pivot of attack. Robinho won't be the scoring machine that Ronaldo is/was, BUT he is a better passing and can link the midfield to attack just as well...

man-utd-chelsea-tactics-champions-leaguefinal-2008.jpg

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

Of course as with all milan's problems, something needs to be added to midfield along with Boateng becoming a proper midfielder

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we can see by now that Allegri changed to a more offensive approach this season. Not really tactical changes, but the team is simply more attacking minded. We're pressing higher, our mezzalas are way more offensive and more brave making forward runs. Our midfielders are not shy at all to attack and left space behind. The team as a whole plays higher in the pitch. The movement in the attack is superior and more fluid. Aquilani and Nocerino are more attacking minded than Seedorf/Pirlo and Gattuso/Flamini.

This is problably why we conceded so much at the start of the season. Our team struggled to recompose fast defensively and the pressing game didn't really make for our higher lines (but it seems to be working better now). But instead of changing to a more safe route, Allegri keep on with his changes, and it seems to have some effect now.

I mean, looking at the last results in Serie A, it's not really the Milan with unbeatable defense, looking for 1-0 wins like last season:

Milan 3 - 0 Palermo
Lecce 3 - 4 Milan
Milan 4 - 1 Parma
Roma 2 - 3 Milan
Milan 4 - 0 Catania
Fiorentina 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 4 - 0 Chievo

Allegri building his own way and being more adventurous after solidifying his place in the first season? The management pushing him for a more Milan-way?

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yes, completely agree with the analysis. But the reason might be different. It might just be that now Allegri has the players he need to execute a more attacking gameplay. As you said, Aquilani and Nocerino are naturally more inclined to push forward than Seedorf/Pirlo or Gattuso/Flamini.

Ideally I expect Allegri wanted those two positions taken care of last season as well, but that would have led to too many changes too soon. This year he changed those two positions, and things changed offensively.

Fiero

Reaction score
If I had my way it would be 4-2-3-1

BUT

Need hard working wingers and technically accomplished anchors

Bayern I think have the best 4-2-3-1

---Schwieny-Kroos---
Robben-Muller-Ribery-
-------Gomez--------

I mean apart from Kroos would you change anyone???

nad yea 4-4-2 can be useful

BUT we dont have the player to fill it

ie hard working wingers

Dude why are you wasting bandwidth with this stuff? No offense but we said no fantasy signings or just stating formations. And this goes to everyone, come on guys. :)

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
There's an article that needs a translation.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
It's funny, i brought this up months ago.

But I bet you, if we had Hamsik, he might score 20 in this team. Allegri definitely designs his tactics inverted. Forwards hold up ball, take creative role, and midfielders continue the run.

It's quite brilliant when you consider 'make up' of the team.

I get the feeling Allegri has the former midfielder bitterness "I could score if the forwards passed to me!" lol

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek
There's an article that needs a translation.

Yes, it looks like Gazzetta are up to publishing good articles again! :thumbsup:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I can translate it, but I have many other things right now that are a priority (maybe in 36 hours if no one has translate it). The article is quite interesting though, talking about how Allegri dedcided to built a post Pirlo Milan with a regista in every line of the field (starting with Thiago and Nesta, though they mostly focus on Thiago), and the importance of players like Boateng and Robinho to provide space in our game. It does raise the point that we need to be at top fitness levels to be able to make this work, but when at top form is hard to keep up cause there's no 1 point of reference on who is the one that really builds the game on Milan.

Fiero

Reaction score
It's funny, i brought this up months ago.

But I bet you, if we had Hamsik, he might score 20 in this team. Allegri definitely designs his tactics inverted. Forwards hold up ball, take creative role, and midfielders continue the run.

It's quite brilliant when you consider 'make up' of the team.

I get the feeling Allegri has the former midfielder bitterness "I could score if the forwards passed to me!" lol

Yeah that's pretty much spot on. Nocerino already has 5 goals and he's not even a good finisher or a shooter. But with the amount of chances this team creates, the ball is bound to go into the net sooner or later.

I notice the last couple of games Boateng has been taking some creating responsibility as well. This dude just keeps evolving. We were used to him just making runs, opening up space, but mostly he seemed clueless with the ball and his decision making way off. It's 2 or 3 games in a row now that he seems more confident, willing to pass a lot more and I think he chipped in with a couple of assists.

Downside to Allegri tactics currently is that Cassano is out and he was integral in creating from upfront, Robinho's role is different. And that Nocerino and Aquilani aren't natural goalscorers. Game's like Fiorentina's when the finishing is off the team needs a direct player like Pato and Boateng.

My point is, Ibra is relishing in his new role but at times we need to be more direct, especially Ibra as he knows how to finish. That's why Pato still has a role to play as Milan seems to sometimes be playing Arsenal-esque football with no one to directly get the job done.

I can translate it, but I have many other things right now that are a priority (maybe in 36 hours if no one has translate it). The article is quite interesting though, talking about how Allegri dedcided to built a post Pirlo Milan with a regista in every line of the field (starting with Thiago and Nesta, though they mostly focus on Thiago), and the importance of players like Boateng and Robinho to provide space in our game. It does raise the point that we need to be at top fitness levels to be able to make this work, but when at top form is hard to keep up cause there's no 1 point of reference on who is the one that really builds the game on Milan.

Yeah that's exactly what some of us here talked about. Robinho and Boateng create space, Ibra and Cassano drop back, take playmaking responsibility, midfielders take turns at going forward and interchange roles, etc.

BTW, the more I think about it, Nocerino's comparison to Gattuso is way off. Yeah he's not defensively half as good as Rino, but still he was supposed to be a defensive player first and foremost. But under Allegri it seems his best qualities are offensive. He's not a dribbler nor a passer and he doesn't have great technique, but he makes smart runs and his grit on the ball helps him win lots of 50/50 challenges in opponents area.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score

This is very interesting and the right way to go. It is important for a team that plays the posession game but eventually we need to evolve and have our side players become responsible and good in posession. I cannot say this about the likes of Antonini (and Nocerino to a lesser extent) although all of the less technical players have evolved nicely in such a short time span. I think Aquilani is a fundemental signing that gives us a nice balance and Boateng at AM is definetly better than CM because he is an all round player that can do the defensive and offensive work equally good. If a player like Hamsik joined us I dont think he would neccessarily take the AM spot from Boateng, maybe a more forward LM like Seedorf under ancelotti, and MvB and Ambro might be scared to lose their position.

Douchebag101

Primavera
Reaction score
I truly miss the days when our fullbacks were cafu, pancaro, serginho, not to mention MALDINI. cant believe we went from that to abate, taiwo, antonini, zambrotta. nothing against abate, he's vastly improving, nor against zambrotta, he was one of the best at his prime. it's just sad that we use to be such a threat from the wings even if we didnt have actual wingers, because our fullbacks can deliver beautiful crosses

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ni-understated-style-james-horncastle-120911-

This article also belongs here.

Very good view about Allegri ideas and the system he is building.
His biggest merit is that he "modernized" Milan whole game. My #1 complain about Milan with Ancelotti post-2007 and Leo's season was how static, unathletic and previsible the team was. Not that it was fault of the managers only, it was due to a lot of factors - age, decline of players, overreliance in one-dimensional players...

Point is that Allegri fought against this trend, be it making bets in the likes of Boateng, Emanuelson, Nocerino - adding very necessary running/atheticism/movement in the team... Shipping out Pirlo and Ronaldinho, benching players after bad performances...
Even his refusal to make a cheap solution to our attack restricting Pato or Ibra in the box can be seem as a preference for a more fluid attack.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Isn't Ibra the reference point in Allegri system? The squad is built around him which is why he surrounded by hardworking runners instead of a more creative type players. Allegri system is not that much different than the one Mourinho or Mancini ran a couple of years ago which instead of a Boateng you had a Stankovic or even Muntari:fp: at AM. I am not criticizing Allegri BTW.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't Ibra the reference point in Allegri system? The squad is built around him which is why he surrounded by hardworking runners instead of a more creative type players. Allegri system is not that much different than the one Mourinho or Mancini ran a couple of years ago which instead of a Boateng you had a Stankovic or even Muntari:fp: at AM. I am not criticizing Allegri BTW.

I think Ibra is much more of a false 9 now than he was at Inter.
This is why he is not a point of reference, he is hard to mark out cause he play in holes between defenders and DM's, so the CB's need to left their line and push up all the time.

Allegri last season system (with Flamini - Ambro - Gattuso midfield) was close to the Mourinho/Mancini Inter, but not this one IMO.

Milan got creative players. Aquilani is very creative from the midfield and so is Seedorf. Cassano is the creation in person. Robinho ain't an assist machine but he is very creative in the way he create plays.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Mancini's was about wingbacks, compact midfield, and ibra + CF. Made sense, he had maicon, maxwell etc. He lacked real creativity in midfield or attack.

There's a lot more movement in Allegri's system than MAncini's from CM.

We might not have scored a lot of midfield goals last year, but their were ample good opportunities (just misfired... flamini, gattuso, kpb, seedorf). Look at way every player gets atleast 1 good shot from midfield a game.

So far Milan have 11 goals from midfield in 14 serie A games. Huge return based on movement, and inverted creativity. Play to forwards who all hold up well (Zlatan, Robinho, Cassano), albiet in different ways, and pick out a runner.

----

The only calm i have with allegri's system is our inability to consistently hold posession. BUT that's more personnel than system.

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
With our Current Squad:

---------Ibrahimovic--------Pato/Robinho-------------
---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------Prince-------------------------
------Nocerino----------------------Aquilani------------
--------------------Van Bommel--------------------------
Zambrotta-------------------------------------Abate-----
----------------T.Silva------Nesta------------------------
-----------------------Abbiati---------------------------

My ideal Squad:

------------Ibrahimovic/Pato-----Tevez/Cassano/Robinho------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------Merkel/Prince-------------------------------
----------Nocerino---------------------Prince/Aquilani---------
---------------------------De Rossi--------------------------------
LB---------------------------------------------------------Abate
---------------------TS---------Nesta/Mexes---------------------
---------------------------Abbiati---------------------------------

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
I just got an idea in my head after seeing the GDS predicted formations for all the teams in this weekend's matchday. I came across Juve's predicted lineup and bench and couldn't help but notice that Krasic is not injured, but is not predicted to even be on the bench. It seems that he is now Juve's fifth choice winger behind Pepe, Estigarribia, Giaccherini, and now even Elia.

I think that we should make a move for him. Now I don't think he would make a massive difference to us in the Serie A, but in the CL, playing as the attacking midfielder, he could drive us forward with some blistering counter-attacks. This would allow us to sit a little deeper and not put the burden on our possession shy midfield to do all the creating. We could simply sit deep, win the ball back, send it to Krasic to drive forward and be an extremely threatening side.

We have all seen how well we can defend deep (as against Barca in the first leg, against Inter last year in the first Serie A meeting) as it simply suits the makeup of our current midfield.

It would be a throwback to the Milan of old with Kaka in place of Krasic. Albeit that Milan had the ability to retain possession extremely well, so it had the best of both worlds.

He would also give us the option of a natural right sided winger/midfielder which we currently lack. This would allow us to change to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 if we want to.

I think we should approach Juve with a 6 month loan, with an option to buy if he performs well. This might just be a temporary solution that would make our flawed side a much more dangerous force in the CL.

It might also be a permanent solution to our attacking midfield position, and with the right reinforcements in midfield we could balance the added counterattacking ability that he would bring, with a midfield 3 that is better at ball retention under pressure. I even think that adding Prince to the midfield in place of Nocerino would make a huge difference in that aspect.

We all know Prince is an extremely strong player and very skilled on the ball. Under pressure he has the ability to body shield the ball or pirouette and play a simple forward pass.

So all in all, I don't think that signing Krasic has any negatives. If we sign him on loan and he doesn't deliver, then we simply ship him back to Juve. Quite simply, it is a win-win situation.

Fiero

Reaction score
I liked last season's Milan much much more than this season's Milan. Last season Milan was solid and effective, this year Milan is entertaining but can't guarantee results. I take results over pretty football any day.

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
I dont think we are that entertaining either, we still play at a very slow pace and often rely on individual quality to get results

end-er

milanista
Reaction score
Last year after 15th stage: 10W 3D 2L 33p 26-12 1st place
This year after 15th stage: 9W 4D 2L 31p 33-16 1st place (till tomorrow)

Pretty much the same as results. The change of midfield mentality (dropping one or even two pure ball winners for one or two more creative ones) works as expected, more goals scores more goals received. And the results are getting better as the team gets more and more used to this new mentality.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I liked last season's Milan much much more than this season's Milan. Last season Milan was solid and effective, this year Milan is entertaining but can't guarantee results. I take results over pretty football any day.

When do you think we guaranteed results last season? Not the first half I hope.
The second half wasn't all that convincing either bar the period without Ibra.
I'm convinced we'll finish with more points than last season.

Fiero

Reaction score
I dont think we are that entertaining either, we still play at a very slow pace and often rely on individual quality to get results

Exactly, just much less direct. Last year was long ball to Ibra. This year is sideways passing till the team gets lucky with an individual effort. Not liking it, there needs to be a direct link in this team. Pato should return to form and Boateng should return to shooting. Football is won by scoring not by passing sideways.

When do you think we guaranteed results last season? Not the first half I hope.
The second half wasn't all that convincing either bar the period without Ibra.
I'm convinced we'll finish with more points than last season.

Napoli away, Cagliari away, Juventus away, fight till the end with Udinese at home, etc. All these are examples of games that Milan won ugly last season. This season way too many points have been wasted by playing pretty like vs Fiorentina or by not showing up like vs Napoli, Juve, Udinese, and Bologna.

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
results over entertaining football? wow.

people are football fans, regardless of the club they support, they watch football to be entertained, if you prefer ugly football just to win trophies then good luck, you must be a really boring person.

Milan have been scoring better this season, but the quality is more or less the same as last season, and many games have been snooze fests.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

It's different for me. Yes, agreed that our defence was much more solid last season. A large factor for that was Van Bommel's form. Really wish we could get back to that solidity.

BUT, in offence, I've been much happier this season. Aquilani's and Nocerino's arrival has given us solid options, as opposed to having Ambrosini/Seedorf in the midfield. Both these guys offer alternate ways of scoring goals, and ultimately that's what decides football matches. Kevin-Prince Boateng has stepped up a further gear on his relentless quest to be the best footballer in the planet.

I strongly think that teams should be built defence first, but that's not the thing lacking here. Allegri has built a solid defence, but his DM is going through a bad time at present. The moment either that's settled or we get a better DM, our defence will be back to being solid. The principles should remain intact.

So, this season ahead of last season for me. Simply because of the many more options in attack. And so I think the team is stronger.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
It's different for me. Yes, agreed that our defence was much more solid last season. A large factor for that was Van Bommel's form. Really wish we could get back to that solidity.

You don't think it was gattuso?

The ground he covered and tackles he won let both MVB and Thiago/Nesta play a lot smaller roles.

I feel like all our issues with MVB have been centered around fact he's exposed in space w/o a destroyer like Gattuso.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Exactly, just much less direct. Last year was long ball to Ibra. This year is sideways passing till the team gets lucky with an individual effort. Not liking it, there needs to be a direct link in this team. Pato should return to form and Boateng should return to shooting. Football is won by scoring not by passing sideways.

Napoli away, Cagliari away, Juventus away, fight till the end with Udinese at home, etc. All these are examples of games that Milan won ugly last season. This season way too many points have been wasted by playing pretty like vs Fiorentina or by not showing up like vs Napoli, Juve, Udinese, and Bologna.

Napoli away we were a bit lucky since they were one man down in 2nd half. We didn't have the match in control at all before that.

Juventus away was ugly, but we didn't look convincing at all and it looked like a 0-0 match. Rino scored the only goal, that says it all. I'm pretty sure we would've had much easier beating that shitty Juve side playing the way we do now with Aqua-anchor-Noce instead of 3 DMs. That game/performance was very similar to the 2nd Lazio game, which we only drew, and the 1st half of Napoli at home. I'm pretty sure last year's Milan would've lost more points by now.