European Coefficients Watch feat. Dr Galliani & co dominating the corridors of power

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Good day for Italy. Juve convincingly top their group, and our one win counts more than England's one win. So even if their clubs won today, they only earned .5, while we earned .3 simple with one win.

Also, Germany earned nothing, which is great.

Now for EL.

williamp

FODDERabt_H8r
Reaction score
Good day for Italy. Juve convincingly top their group, and our one win counts more than England's one win. So even if their clubs won today, they only earned .5, while we earned .3 simple with one win.

Also, Germany earned nothing, which is great.

Now for EL.

England had two wins lol

Vms

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zlatan
In these 2 days england has collected 0.166pts more than Italy.
Italian clubs have to do better at EL if we want to catch England for next season

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
England had two wins lol

Yes, I know that. Nothing in my post indicates otherwise.

If Italy wins one and England wins one, Italy gets more points.

So even if England won twice, they only managed .5, while Italy managed .3 with simply one win.

williamp

FODDERabt_H8r
Reaction score
Yes, I know that. Nothing in my post indicates otherwise.

If Italy wins one and England wins one, Italy gets more points.

So even if England won twice, they only managed .5, while Italy managed .3 with simply one win.

You said with their one win.

That post was confusing as hell and trying to make a point but didn't really achieve that.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
You said with their one win.

That post was confusing as hell and trying to make a point but didn't really achieve that.

Sure, I can see why it would be confusing. I meant that in general England's one win is worth less than Italy's because you have to divide it by 8 (the num of teams participating) and in Italy's case the number is 6. So even if you won twice today, it isn't that much of an advantage.

More importantly, the Premier League is in a peculiar spot right now. Italy's problems are well-documented, and until recently our clubs have been struggling in Europe, but you could contextualize that struggle in the general malaise of Italian football.

But England has no such issues. It is a glossy product and rakes in tons of money. And there is also a certain continental sophistication in the league now that was absent in, say, the late 90s. There is Mourinho. There is Wenger. There is even Pochettino. :D

Notwithstanding all of that, England have been performing below what one would expect. Ronay had a very incisive piece on this in the guardian that I will post later. Maybe it is complacency, maybe it is fatigue, maybe it is comeuppance after all the "best league in the world" shit.

To be honest, I don't know how it will end up after this year. Maybe the prem will surge ahead; maybe Italy will supplant them. But how do you explain results like Arsenal losing to Olympiacos, or Fiorentina sweeping aside Tottenham with masterful ease last year? These inquests will grow the more English clubs fail.

There are facile explanations that they suck, play long-ball etc. but I was wondering what you, a prem fan, thinks.

Last edited:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
In all honesty, Juve probably has the easiest group in the competition. If they don't finish first, Allegri should still stay because he's doing God's work in the Serie A this year.

Lol

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Such a shame City lucked out with a grand performance from Hart...They saved a pen and scored a 90th min pen to win the game.

Coefficients as of today:

England: 66.159
Italy: 61.939

Games tonight:

Liverpool - Sion
Monaco - Tottenham

Belenenses - Fiorentina
Legia Warsaw - Napoli
Lazio - St. Etienne

If the English teams win all their games they'll get an additional 0.5 points, and if the Italians do the same they'll earn 1 full point. I predict a loss for Napoli though, Lazio are experts in fucking up, Viola I think can go far in the EL despite losing the first game to Basel. Monaco hopefully prevent Spurs from winning and maybe even beating them.

Roma's loss to BATE could be huge, that's 0.333 points missed. Those three points could've gotten Roma the qualification to the next round which means they could've earnt an additional 0.833 points in bonus (equivalent of 2 wins + 1 draw).

edit:

the difference between Italy and England is currently 4.22 points... Each 3 wins for Italy is equivalent to 1 full point. So if England lose every single game from now to the end of the season, Italy will need 13 wins to overtake England. It's a very, very long uphill road when you consider that at least 3 English teams are going through to the next round in the CL meaning 15/8=1.875 bonus points for that not even including the wins they would collect in the group stages on the way to qualification.

I still haven't given up though. We were in a similar situation last year and we ousted them towards the end of the season thanks to the Italians in EL.

I am fairly confident that Italy will have 4 teams in the CL by 2018/2019 but if we do better than them this year we can get those spots a year earlier. I really hate how Udinese, Samp and the Roman clubs consistently flop in Europe.

Last edited:

Tasht

Dreamer!!!
Reaction score
Such a shame City lucked out with a grand performance from Hart...They saved a pen and scored a 90th min pen to win the game.

Coefficients as of today:

England: 66.159
Italy: 61.939

Games tonight:

Liverpool - Sion
Monaco - Tottenham

Belenenses - Fiorentina
Legia Warsaw - Napoli
Lazio - St. Etienne

If the English teams win all their games they'll get an additional 0.5 points, and if the Italians do the same they'll earn 1 full point. I predict a loss for Napoli though, Lazio are experts in fucking up, Viola I think can go far in the EL despite losing the first game to Basel. Monaco hopefully prevent Spurs from winning and maybe even beating them.

Roma's loss to BATE could be huge, that's 0.333 points missed. Those three points could've gotten Roma the qualification to the next round which means they could've earnt an additional 0.833 points in bonus (equivalent of 2 wins + 1 draw).

edit:

the difference between Italy and England is currently 4.22 points... Each 3 wins for Italy is equivalent to 1 full point. So if England lose every single game from now to the end of the season, Italy will need 13 wins to overtake England. It's a very, very long uphill road when you consider that at least 3 English teams are going through to the next round in the CL meaning 15/8=1.875 bonus points for that not even including the wins they would collect in the group stages on the way to qualification.

I still haven't given up though. We were in a similar situation last year and we ousted them towards the end of the season thanks to the Italians in EL.

I am fairly confident that Italy will have 4 teams in the CL by 2018/2019 but if we do better than them this year we can get those spots a year earlier. I really hate how Udinese, Samp and the Roman clubs consistently flop in Europe.

The difference is only 0.5 point because 2011 results will be omitted by the end of the year.

Vms

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zlatan
The difference is only 0.5 point because 2011 results will be omitted by the end of the year.

Less than that,only 0.327
If Roma had beaten BATE Italy would be already in 3rd place :fp:

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

Italy- 4 wins, 1 loss
England- 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses

Italy earns 1.33 points
England earns 0.75

Vms

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zlatan
Best night ever :proud:

1 point for Italy and 0.25 for England

Vms

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zlatan
2011 points will be included for this season's totals. It will be omitted for next season.

I know,who cares about this season? everyone knows we can't catch up on them this year.the battle is all about 2016-17

Italy 51.582:proud:
England 51.159

Cokata

E46
Reaction score
h_21yt.gif

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
bad week for bundesliga too.

dortmund should have wrapped up the points today and augsburg and gladbach may as well not be competing.