Serie A: Transfer Updates

ess

Reaction score
Parma confirm Cannavaro transfer Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parma President Stefano Tanzi has confirmed that Fabio Cannavaro has handed in a transfer request.

“Cannavaro has asked to leave the club,” commented Tanzi, “but we have not received offers yet.”

The defender, currently at Coverciano with the Italy squad, is one of the hottest properties on the transfer market this summer.

Juventus and Milan have been the most consistently mentioned clubs with regards to the former Napoli man.

The press claims that the Bianconeri have bid cash plus Fabrizio Miccoli and Enzo Maresca, while the San Siro side have proffered Massimo Donati and money for a total £33m.

"I just hope the issue is sorted out before the World Cup," explained Cannavaro.

It is now suggested that Parma are planning a swoop for Antonio Carlos Zago as a replacement for Cannavaro. The Brazilian’s contract with Roma expired this summer.

Meanwhile, President Tanzi also revealed other details regarding their revamp. “We will create a team that is able to reach UEFA Cup spots. Sixth place in Serie A is our objective from next season.”

Johann Micoud will be sold to either Schalke 04 or Bayer Leverkusen, while Marco Di Vaio remains a target for Lazio. “We’ll meet with Di Vaio on Wednesday,” revealed Tanzi.

There will also be a new Coach and although the situation is not yet official, it’s believed that ex-Venezia tactician Claudio Cesare Prandelli will take over.

“There have been frequent meetings with Prandelli,” admitted the patron, “and the situation is sorting itself out.”

Thuram ready for Man U move Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reports from Italy claim Lilian Thuram is mere days away from signing for Manchester United and that Juan Seba Veron could be part of the deal.

The World Cup winner only moved from Parma last summer in a £23m switch and Juventus would accept nothing less than £19m or a straight swap with the Argentine midfielder.

It was suggested that Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs would be offered instead, but Marcello Lippi has requested Veron to fill the role vacated by Zinedine Zidane.

Veron had been in talks for a return to Lazio, but communications between the two have turned decidedly chilly in the last 24 hours.

“President Sergio Cragnotti wants me back?” commented the midfielder. “That’s strange, as he already had me in his side last year.”

Thuram has complained to the club and press this season as he has been mainly fielded on the right flank rather than his preferred central defensive position.

Man U have lured him to Old Trafford with the promise of fulfilling this role and linking up with fellow Bleus Fabien Barthez and Laurent Blanc.

It has been reported that Manchester United directors will fly out to France’s pre-World Cup base at Clairefontaine on Tuesday to sign the contract.

The French defender’s departure from Turin is almost certain as Juventus are engaged in advanced talks for both Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro.

Salvatore Fresi is another new addition to the Bianconeri defence as the ex-Bologna man passed a medical and was presented to the press this afternoon.

The Gazzetta dello Sport also claims that Lippi will be in the stands for Wednesday’s Champions’ League Final between Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen.

His eyes will be trained carefully on Leverkusen’s 25-year-old winger Diego Placente, also a target for Inter and Milan.

Tommasi wants capital stay Tuesday 14 May, 2002

Roma midfielder Damiano Tommasi says he hopes to continue his playing career in the capital despite talk that he could be sold.

Reports in Italy claim that the midfielder could be on his way out of the side with speculation suggesting that Juventus’ Edgar Davids could be set to replace him.

But Tommasi, currently in training with the Italian squad at Coverciano, is calm about his future.

"I’m contracted at Roma until 2005 and I hope to remain. I feel at home in the capital and me and my family are keen for my Giallorossi adventure to continue," he said.

"In all honesty I’m not overly concerned with the transfer rumours because it is something that I don’t have any control of.

"My objective is to simply give my best on the field and fulfil the technical and tactical jobs that the club employs me for.

"But if the club decide that they don’t want me anymore, then as a professional, I will accept their decision. Even if I don’t think I’ll be leaving Rome."

Terim calls Gomes to Galatasaray Tuesday 14 May, 2002

Fatih Terim is back on the Galatasaray bench and one of the men on his list of reinforcements is Nuno Gomes.

The Portuguese striker impressed as part of Terim’s all-attack Fiorentina formation, but has struggled in Serie A since the Coach was fired in Feb 2001.

The Viola will sell the international this summer in a bid to reduce their spiralling debts.

Rated at £10m and currently on a contract worth £1.25m per season, there has also been interest from Premiership sides Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

The main hitch in this move would be Benfica, Gomes’ first club. The Portuguese giants have contacted Fiorentina to discuss a return to his homeland.

It’s reported that Terim has also requested Fiorentina defender Daniele Adani.

The Italian international had expressed a desire to join Parma instead, but the call from his former Coach could change his mind. Inter and Juventus are also tracking Adani.

Terim has already taken Milan winger Umit Davala back to Turkey on a one-year loan.