The Cricket Thread

Who's the player of the decade?

• Total voters

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Italian Tsar said:
Once again the only sticking point for me was Dravid's form. His confidence seems to have taken a hit, and it looks like it'll require some work. Really hope he comes out on top. He's too good to go down like this. Go Dravid!
After his century in the last game, i think hes atleast guaranteed his pllace for the new zealand tour. and I cant possibly think of a place better than new zealand for dravid to get back his confidence. He absolutely loves those fast, bouncy pitches that dont spin as much, and with the current new zealand bowling attack, hes got every chance of scoring a couple of big ones.

It really is set up for him to succeed now - hes got the monkey off his back, and i would absolutely kill to see him score a double century. If he cant do it in new zealand, on a pitch tailor made for him, against a mediocre bowling attack, im scared that it might actually be the end of him.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
radioactivenerd said:
After his century in the last game, i think hes atleast guaranteed his pllace for the new zealand tour. and I cant possibly think of a place better than new zealand for dravid to get back his confidence. He absolutely loves those fast, bouncy pitches that dont spin as much, and with the current new zealand bowling attack, hes got every chance of scoring a couple of big ones.

It really is set up for him to succeed now - hes got the monkey off his back, and i would absolutely kill to see him score a double century. If he cant do it in new zealand, on a pitch tailor made for him, against a mediocre bowling attack, im scared that it might actually be the end of him.
did you see ranji trophy this season

there are kids scoring double and triples regularly one kid called pujara he deserves a test call nom Badrinath scoring tons of runs

dravid was ordinary from last two years, give him last chance in new zealand if he fails or doesnt score heavily he has to go,

will haden retire after todays match?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
RESPECT

The bravest man in world cricket

Peter English at the SCG

January 7, 2009
97798.2.jpg

At the start of the day, Graeme Smith did not intend to bat but he came out despite a broken hand and an injured elbow © PA Photos

South Africa own the bravest man in world cricket, but having Graeme Smith was not enough to secure the most dramatic of draws. Even Australians who wear green and gold tattoos tingled when the door to the dressing room opened and Smith walked out at No. 11, looking to survive 8.2 overs with a broken hand, his own blood recently injected into his right elbow, and a desperate Australian attack.

Having been roared to the centre, Smith tried to block out the pain, but it was there whenever he defended. Leaving was easier - the bowlers gave him opportunities - and he crept slowly towards the finish with Makhaya Ntini, a usually easy wicket proving impossible to dislodge. For 27 balls the pair leaned on each other and floated their country, but as Australia wondered if they would ever be able to knock down these South Africans they achieved their escape with 10 balls remaining.

The countdown had begun at tea when storm clouds hovered to the north of the SCG. Smith entered after a 50-run stand between Ntini and Dale Steyn as the Australians grew frantic. "Deep inside I didn't really want to get out there," Smith said. He arrived in the morning without any gear, but when he decided he was needed he found some pants in his cricket bag protecting his bats.

A shirt was borrowed from Jacques Kallis and Paul Harris' pullover was worn with a hamburger stain on it. He took off the plastic cast that had been protecting the fifth finger on his left hand and a re-modelled glove was put on instead. There were no painkillers. Morne Morkel laced up Smith's spikes. Even before his finger injury simple tasks such as brushing his teeth were too painful. He started to pad up when Ntini went out to bat and the target had shrunk to 50 deliveries when he took guard.

"I just decided to give it my best shot," he said. "If I got a first-baller, at least I tried, that was what was going through my head. There was a lot of pain, I'd just had injections in my elbow and this [his hand] is obviously not very friendly at the moment, but I was grateful I never got another knock on either part of my body." His left hand was so tender he could not glove tap with Ntini.

Most balls hit the bat, but Smith was unfortunate to make two mistakes. He didn't take two when he glanced Nathan Hauritz to fine leg. Another run was there, but by collecting only one it left him facing Mitchell Johnson at the most difficult end in the following over. Playing back hurt Smith's hand a lot more than when he had to go forward and with the second delivery of the second last over, he left a gap and Johnson's delivery cut in off a big crack and slipped through to the stumps.

"It probably would have got me if I had both arms available," he said. The South Africans exhaled and Smith slowly walked up to Ntini and hugged him like a brother. Two strong-willed men had fallen less than two overs short. The Australians were in a huddle, but they soon moved over to congratulate the batsmen. Ricky Ponting said the traits Smith displayed were what everyone looks for in a leader. They were also in awe of Smith, who carries the square jaw and courage of a superhero.

While Smith was standing in the middle, taking 17 balls over 3, it was easy to recall some of the other acts of bravery to support the team's cause. Ken Mackay taking the final ball from Wes Hall in the chest to draw the 1960-61 Adelaide Test, Rick McCosker batting with a broken jaw in the Centenary Test, and Malcolm Marshall taking 7 for 22 at Old Trafford in 1988 with a fractured hand.

Smith was disappointed by this result, but the main prize had already been won, and he left with the trophy as well as the award for Man of the Series. Throughout the three Tests he was inspirational and influential, grimacing through the pain of his elbow but staying in Australia until the end. It was appropriate that he was involved in the last act of a series he said was the best he had been part of. He was the most memorable actor in an absorbing contest and his heroics will not be forgotten easily.

Peter English is the Australasia editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Ashish said:
did you see ranji trophy this season

there are kids scoring double and triples regularly one kid called pujara he deserves a test call nom Badrinath scoring tons of runs
?

that pujara guy is a madman!! i read that he didnt have any money to buy a bat, so he stole the school bat, and then scored a triple century with it for saurashtra, and the school fucked him for stealing the bat. eventually htey bought him another bat for himself. he has been scoring multiple centuries since then as well.

ive got really high hopes for pujara. i dont care if he relaces dravid, but i just want dravid to go out on a high, and by his own decision. i dont want him to be dropped. id love it if he plays for another 3 years, but id also be okay if he scores a triple century in new zealand and retires.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
that pujara guy is a madman!! i read that he didnt have any money to buy a bat, so he stole the school bat, and then scored a triple century with it for saurashtra, and the school fucked him for stealing the bat. eventually htey bought him another bat for himself. he has been scoring multiple centuries since then as well.

ive got really high hopes for pujara. i dont care if he relaces dravid, but i just want dravid to go out on a high, and by his own decision. i dont want him to be dropped. id love it if he plays for another 3 years, but id also be okay if he scores a triple century in new zealand and retires.
ya i agree i like dravid and i hope he score a triple and retire

i dont see him playing long for india cause he is not the old dravid his defense is so ordinary i dont care how many runs he score but his defense breached like this is a shame.

i hope he retires with new zealand whitewash and a man of the series. btw new selectors are friendlier to seniors and its amazing india is dominating without dravids contribution these days :eek:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ITS THE TRUTH about Hayden, awesome opponent

NEW DELHI (AFP) — India's swashbuckling opener Virender Sehwag on Wednesday saluted retired Australian great Matthew Hayden, saying he had not seen an "attacking batsman of his calibre."

The powerfully-built Hayden, whose aggressive strokeplay was similar to that of Sehwag, retired from international cricket on Tuesday after a poor run with the bat in Australia's recent series.

But his 8,625 runs in 103 Tests at an impressive average of 50.74 with 30 centuries convinced Sehwag that Australia will struggle to replace a batsman of Hayden's stature.

"I have not seen an attacking batsman of his calibre in my career," Sehwag told the Mumbai-based Daily News and Analysis (DNA) newspaper.

"The game of cricket has lost a great player. Crucially enough, Australia have lost a rare cricketer. His absence will be felt just as the retirement of Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath was."

Sehwag, who has two Test triple centuries to his credit, said he was amazed by Hayden's consistency over the past few years.

"In the last eight years he has scored more than 20 centuries," he said. "You can be sure that Australia will not be able to unearth an opener who can hit 20 centuries in the next eight years.

"I have played eight years and managed only 15.

"If Australia won so many matches in the last eight to 10 years, it was because of the starts Hayden provided. They would reach 500 in just over a day and it would be largely because of his batting.

"The best thing about him was that he took advantage of his weight and height. A player of his size can be intimidating for any bowler. He attacked the bowler from the word go."

Sehwag said Hayden's in-your-face attitude on the field left rivals flustered.

"He is the only batsman I know of who abused the bowler while batting," the Indian vice-captain said.

"He sledged while batting. He could talk to the bowler and yet stay on the crease and concentrate on his business. Not only that, he could even sledge the fielders while batting.

"I am sure his retirement will come as a relief for the bowlers."

Sehwag, however, said he loved playing against Hayden and hoped he would get a chance to open with the Australian outside international cricket.

"My personal equation with him was good. We respected each other," he said.

"I have never had a chance to open with him. Actually I would love to do that. I want to watch him bat from the other end."

Hayden will turn out for the Chennai Super Kings when the next edition of the Indian Premier League starts in April. Sehwag captains Delhi Daredevils in the lucrative Twenty20 tournament.

India beat Ricky Ponting's Australians 2-0 in a home Test series in November to annexe the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

ριρρσ мισ

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zola, Chiesa, Inzaghi, Buffon, Kaka, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Paloschi, Serginho, Borriello
The Australian media were really pathetic and they are to blame for his premature retirement. Haydos should've at least been given the tour of South Africia and the Ashes to redeem himself. All batsmen go through form slumps, and what really pisses me off is that Hussey is performing on par if not worse than Hayden and his position is not under pressure.

OneUnited

Reaction score
What a career. You have to respect any man who has achieved what he has. All the best to him.

I'm glad to see him go from a rival perspective, not so much overall. I had a sneaking suspicion that his form would have come good sometime prior to the Ashes series later this year. It's now up in the air with Australia having to establish his replacement well before then.

In fact, I've been waiting too long for this great side to disband. It didn't come soon enough with the way Warne and McGrath tormented us during our last tour down under.

Considering our infighting, I'm gratefully taking any opportunities that the Aussies give us.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score

"He is the only batsman I know of who abused the bowler while batting," the Indian vice-captain said.

"He sledged while batting. He could talk to the bowler and yet stay on the crease and concentrate on his business. Not only that, he could even sledge the fielders while batting.

What a hero :D

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
What a career. You have to respect any man who has achieved what he has. All the best to him.

I'm glad to see him go from a rival perspective, not so much overall. I had a sneaking suspicion that his form would have come good sometime prior to the Ashes series later this year. It's now up in the air with Australia having to establish his replacement well before then.

In fact, I've been waiting too long for this great side to disband. It didn't come soon enough with the way Warne and McGrath tormented us during our last tour down under.

Considering our infighting, I'm gratefully taking any opportunities that the Aussies give us.

Don't worry about Hayden, soon enough the young lad David Warner will be taking over from him. The only player that they'll have real trouble replacing is Warney to be honest..

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Don't worry about Hayden, soon enough the young lad David Warner will be taking over from him. The only player that they'll have real trouble replacing is Warney to be honest..

I havent seen David Warner enough to judge him, but Shaun Marsh seems like a more than able repllacement for Hayden. Well he might not get up to Hayden's level, but then noone will for the next 40 years probably. Shaun Marsh has excellent technique and the best part is that even in T20 cricket he plays with technique, not mindless bat swinging.

I think he realy deserves a shot at the test team now that there is an opener's slot. He could be the Aussie version of JP DUminy in south africa.

milanista1899

Solo Milan
Reaction score
a last ball win for the kiwi's over their bitter rivals..aussies have lost 5 of their last 6 games...i haven't seen them losing like this for a very long time...

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
a last ball win for the kiwi's over their bitter rivals..aussies have lost 5 of their last 6 games...i haven't seen them losing like this for a very long time...

Lol nice. I cant see things getting better once they go to South Africa either. Theyve got a losing mentality now.
Wheres San Paolo now? :D

milanista1899

Solo Milan
Reaction score
Lol nice. I cant see things getting better once they go to South Africa either. Theyve got a losing mentality now.
Wheres San Paolo now? :D

yes,things will get only worse for them at south africa...dale steyn is leathal at home...wasn't it last year when he won three man of the series on a throt at home...i think rite now he's the best fast bowler in the world..

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
yes,things will get only worse for them at south africa...dale steyn is leathal at home...wasn't it last year when he won three man of the series on a throt at home...i think rite now he's the best fast bowler in the world..

definitely....they have found a more than able replacement for Allan Donald or Shaun Pollock, whichever way u want to look at it.

I'm looking forward to an innings of australia getting out for under 100 in South Africa. Id love it.

not quite as much as im loving a second string west indies team killing the england national team in a warmup game though. It was something special to see Phil Simmons' nephew come in and score 282.

milanista1899

Solo Milan
Reaction score
definitely....they have found a more than able replacement for Allan Donald or Shaun Pollock, whichever way u want to look at it.

he's more of a donald replacement than say pollock..he probably has the most beautiful outswingers rite now..i love the sight of watching him square the batsmen and knock their off stumps...

I'm looking forward to an innings of australia getting out for under 100 in South Africa. Id love it.

not quite as much as im loving a second string west indies team killing the england national team in a warmup game though. It was something special to see Phil Simmons' nephew come in and score 282.

lol..the last time it happened was in mumbai if i'm not wrong..ponting called the pitch a minefield..the match got over in two and half days..

the aussies no longer have the bench strength nor the bowlers who can win them matches..while SA have embarrassment of riches on their side...so i wouldn't be suprised..

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
JEROME TAYLOR!!!!
England 51 all out, and Jerome with 5 wickets - absolutely fantastic to see a West Indian Quick destroy the opposition. England were down to 26/7 at one stage.

Here's hoping he can go on to follow in the footsteps of Ambrose and Walsh, maybe even those left by Holding, Garner, Marshall, Roberts, Croft and Patterson.

Cant wait for the Poms to lose the next game as well!

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
JEROME TAYLOR!!!!
England 51 all out, and Jerome with 5 wickets - absolutely fantastic to see a West Indian Quick destroy the opposition. England were down to 26/7 at one stage.

Here's hoping he can go on to follow in the footsteps of Ambrose and Walsh, maybe even those left by Holding, Garner, Marshall, Roberts, Croft and Patterson.

Cant wait for the Poms to lose the next game as well!

LOL :d in cricket everything is happening india and wi winning australia and engaland loosing ;) btw i hate dhoni cause he is so overrated and just plain lucky

OneUnited

Reaction score
JEROME TAYLOR!!!!

Following in the footsteps of the players you're mentioning is a big ask, even with time on his side.

I'll credit his bowling for taking advantage of a terrible England side, but they were just that - terrible. Bell, who didn't fall to Taylor, shouldn't be playing. Cook needs to turn his form around fast. Collingwood needs to respond. I'd also drop Panesar, maybe replace him with Swann, who actually has good form for England in his favour.

Too many players in that side are being picked on everything other than merit. If these selections, infighting and all of the other crap continues, we're going to keep making the West Indies of today look like a throwback to their great sides.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Wow we beat England.....not that I've cared about cricket much since WIPA had tried to screw over Lara and Chris GAYle is captain but congrats WE :proud: oh and how about selecting some Trini's for a change?

milanista1899

Solo Milan
Reaction score
pathan brothers save the day out of nowhere..7 down,needed 60 odd runs from 5overs..they came blazing on the lankans...

seems to be a day of brothers...hussey brothers helped out aus to level the series as well..

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pathan brothers save the day out of nowhere..7 down,needed 60 odd runs from 5overs..they came blazing on the lankans...

seems to be a day of brothers...hussey brothers helped out aus to level the series as well..

:proud: what a game

yusuf is a beast he just hit sixes at will

so my fav players are

1. sachin
2.gayle
3.yusuf pathan ;)

OneUnited

Reaction score
The West Indies v England second test match was cancelled due to the outfield being dangerous. A third test at a different venue is being hastily arranged.

Pathetic is an understatement. I can see the West Indies team not being too happy about being let down by a pitch, not when they were going into this match with confidence high. Their first win has now been overshadowed. Whatever happens from hereon will have the ugly shadow of this farce lurking behind it.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The West Indies v England second test match was cancelled due to the outfield being dangerous. A third test at a different venue is being hastily arranged.

Pathetic is an understatement. I can see the West Indies team not being too happy about being let down by a pitch, not when they were going into this match with confidence high. Their first win has now been overshadowed. Whatever happens from hereon will have the ugly shadow of this farce lurking behind it.

while i agree with the essence of your post, i do think that if the rest of the games provide for some good cricket, this will be forgotten.

Which is exactly what the problem is with the WICB. I used to feel bad the Windies as i was under the impression that the WICB was fighting a lose, losing battle against lame sports like basketball. I figured they should be given all the help possible, but this farce just reeks of a cricket board that doesnt give a fuck.
There were SO many things that should have happened before this venue should have been given Test Match status. WICB have probably overlooked a LOT of protocol - even during the World Cup, the Aus-Ban game was a farce at this ground.

The WICB needs to wake the fuck up or resign the fuck off. Just listening to Michael Holding talk about how annoyed he is with this situation makes me think that there must be SO many people out there in the caribbean, that are passionate for cricket, and would do a MUCH better job than whoever is at the head of the WICB right now. get Holding in, or Richards in, and hopefully thats goint improve the situation.

Even the other ground is supposed to be shite - there are bumps in the outfield, and long grass to go with it. There are probably better grounds in Zimbabwe.

OneUnited

Reaction score
As well as them not giving a fuck, the West Indies Cricket Board must suffer from its own incompetence as much as anything.

I can accept that it was the ICC that spoilt the spectacle of the World Cup, but the governing body not taking more of a stand in questioning their decisions was meek. They should have foreseen such issues prior to the tournament, sorted them out then. It was only outside pressure and more people naturally wanting to watch games after the groups that redeemed it.

Last edited:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Moisés Henriques to fuck up NZ tonight. ;)

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Moisés Henriques to fuck up NZ tonight. ;)

rofl so much for henriques.
i hope the kiwis get this score in like 10 overs, with mccullum scoring another 150.

Every time i watch vettori, i keep getting more and more impressed at his captaincy. the guy is simply a genius. i thought NZ cricket was fucked after chris cairns retired and shane bond vanished...but vettori has kept them up.

i think we (india) will still pump them in their own backyard in a few weeks though.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Doesn't help when that tard Hopes runs you out.

Adam Voges greatest catch in history much? ;)