Mathieu Flamini Thread

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Dream: Flams given a chance (meaning consistent playing time) at least until Christmas since the Maestros & the Senatores managed to get by with years of shit performances.

Nightmare: Flams being sold. Because it's obvious we're not going to get a replacement if Gattuso continues his rich vein of form and Ambro is back.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Giving Flamini a chance wouldn't be fair on senators like Gattuso and Ambro who have been visibly better thus far this season. He's got to up his game to play. I hope he does btw ... love his fighting spirit, but that isn't enough.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giving Flamini a chance wouldn't be fair on senators like Gattuso and Ambro who have been visibly better thus far this season. He's got to up his game to play. I hope he does btw ... love his fighting spirit, but that isn't enough.

Gattuso has.

Ambro not really.

Bot we both know age is going to catch up and the form is probably only temporary.

IF Flamini manages consistent decency in his performances, at least we have a long term solution.

Just my opinion though. Milan fans in general seem to hate the French. Or at least the French who've played for Milan :tongue:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I've got nothing against French players ... Marcel is a CHAMPION in my eyes. However, Flamini should WORK for his chance ... and with him, its not working hard physically but mentally. No point in benching Gattuso/Ambro just to give Flamini a chance when they are or can perform better ... thats all I'm saying.

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo
Gattuso has.

Ambro not really.

Bot we both know age is going to catch up and the form is probably only temporary.

IF Flamini manages consistent decency in his performances, at least we have a long term solution.

Just my opinion though. Milan fans in general seem to hate the French. Or at least the French who've played for Milan :tongue:

Ehh that's possible. One of the things that does it for me is how many people on here are duped into thinking that he's good. "He's good for Arsenal, so he must be good for Milan!" It's all part of the EPL hype machine that has taken the world by storm.

He's a player who does need seem tactically and mentally capable for Serie A. Yes, this is possible. There are many things Serie A does better than everyone's beloved EPL

TheGrinch

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Je just came back form an injury - give him some time. It's a pity he doesn't want to play as fullback. Liked the job he did on this position and would add some quality there...

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I've got nothing against French players ... Marcel is a CHAMPION in my eyes. However, Flamini should WORK for his chance ... and with him, its not working hard physically but mentally. No point in benching Gattuso/Ambro just to give Flamini a chance when they are or can perform better ... thats all I'm saying.

Is he really though?

Three words.

Marseille. 93. Steroids.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Quit the Marcel hate Wet :head: ... was he still on steroids a year later? I know '93 was a shame, but Marcel is Marcel. Anyway, aren't you the one complaining about French players/teams getting mistreated over here and at Milanello?

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
I honestly think that Flamini is going to be used in the''half-winger '' box-to-box role ,but mainly when we need a more defensive midfield . . .the positions he has picked up in all his matches so far are not that of a traditional DM . . i think allegri is planning to use kpb and flamini for that spot , rino and ambro for dm and (GRAZIE):proud: MAESTRO :proud: and dorf for cm . . . if i look at it that way then he really just needs to work on his finishing to be a real asset and could potentially supply a good amount of goals from midfield. . .i think now its just a matter of match fitness. . . . Or has everyone besides me known that that was going to be his role?

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I'm pretty sure there's a hugeee Ba fanbase among Milan fans, that said my favorite was always Bruno N'Gotty.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Kind of a strawman argument. What french player has established themselves as a star at Milan? Only Desailly. Gourcuff, Vieira were probably sold too soon, history will show that, but they aren't the only players like that. You're just trying to draw a conclusion where there isn't one.

Flamini's had many chances and been inconsistent and a liability (cards). Allegri is 3rd coach in a row who has said 'they want to use flamini a lot'. First two tried and he didn't live up... so who is it really on?

Godfather

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of a strawman argument. What french player has established themselves as a star at Milan? Only Desailly. Gourcuff, Vieira were probably sold too soon, history will show that, but they aren't the only players like that. You're just trying to draw a conclusion where there isn't one.

Flamini's had many chances and been inconsistent and a liability (cards). Allegri is 3rd coach in a row who has said 'they want to use flamini a lot'. First two tried and he didn't live up... so who is it really on?

Flamini hasn't been constantly used. He's not had a constant run of games, I hope Allegri can give him two months in the starting line-up and then we'll see if he's good enough. He was pretty solid during his Arsenal days, I wish he could replicate those performances for us.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

:star: Jean-Pierre Papin :star:

Top 10 best names in football

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Quit the Marcel hate Wet :head: ... was he still on steroids a year later? I know '93 was a shame, but Marcel is Marcel. Anyway, aren't you the one complaining about French players/teams getting mistreated over here and at Milanello?

I dunno, was he? And I'm not hating. I just don't consider him a Milan legend. In fact, that word is being thrown around a little too much for my liking.

For me, since I've been watching Milan, there have only been two legends. Baresi & Maldini.

And that comment about French players wasn't meant to be a serious one :head:

I'm pretty sure there's a hugeee Ba fanbase among Milan fans, that said my favorite was always Bruno N'Gotty.

Oh Lord. Why bring back memories of N'Gotty :head:

Pls read response to Mad.

Flamini has NEVER had consistent chances with Milan. He had 22 starts (mostly as a full back) first season and 14 the second. Consistent my ass.

Yes he is a liability with regards to his tackles. That I will agree with.

And no, Allegri is not the third coach. He is the FIRST to say this: “I am focusing a lot on Mathieu Flamini, a player with great potential who has done less than he could’ve done over the last two years.”

One thing I am certain of is that Allegri shares a special relationship with Flamini. Certain incidents from the Ajax game made that obvious.

Godfather

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I dunno, was he? And I'm not hating. I just don't consider him a Milan legend. In fact, that word is being thrown around a little too much for my liking.

For me, since I've been watching Milan, there have only been two legends. Baresi & Maldini.

And that comment about French players wasn't meant to be a serious one :head:

Oh Lord. Why bring back memories of N'Gotty :head:

Pls read response to Mad.

Flamini has NEVER had consistent chances with Milan. He had 22 starts (mostly as a full back) first season and 14 the second. Consistent my ass.

Yes he is a liability with regards to his tackles. That I will agree with.

And no, Allegri is not the third coach. He is the FIRST to say this: “I am focusing a lot on Mathieu Flamini, a player with great potential who has done less than he could’ve done over the last two years.”

One thing I am certain of is that Allegri shares a special relationship with Flamini. Certain incidents from the Ajax game made that obvious.

What incidents are you talking about?

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score

I said Marcel was a CHAMPION ... not a Milan legend. Was just giving an example of a French Milan player who I and a lot of Milan fans respect ...

I kinda agree that Allegri has some sort of special interest in Flamini n/fr. Even more reason for us to judge him this season. If he doesn't make it during a season where a coach actually likes his qualities, it will be hard n/fr to see him make it in the future at Milan with someone who'd rather just play the better player.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I said Marcel was a CHAMPION ... not a Milan legend. Was just giving an example of a French Milan player who I and a lot of Milan fans respect ...

Ooops :D

P.S. he's Ghanian :tongue:

I kinda agree that Allegri has some sort of special interest in Flamini n/fr. Even more reason for us to judge him this season. If he doesn't make it during a season where a coach actually likes his qualities, it will be hard n/fr to see him make it in the future at Milan with someone who'd rather just play the better player.

Agreed. Wish him the best because his best would immensely help the club.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Flamini hasn't been constantly used. He's not had a constant run of games, I hope Allegri can give him two months in the starting line-up and then we'll see if he's good enough. He was pretty solid during his Arsenal days, I wish he could replicate those performances for us.

He hasn't got a consistent run of games cause he can't go 2 games without picking up massive cards!

2008/9: 28 starts, 8 sub appearances- 10 yellow cards
2009/10: 19 starts, 13 sub appearances- 9 yellow card, 2 red cards

Overall: 47 starts, 21 sub appearances- 19 yellow cards, 2 red!?!?!?

He's got plenty of chances....

Whats worse is if you look at it BY minutes he's a card machine. Few of those starts were 90 mins and a lot of late subs cause he's always late.

I hate to blame coaches for this cause it's 3 coaches now. Coaches don't hate him, but he's his own worst enemy....

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players

No he hasn't. Not in the position he should be playing anyway.

And please stick to league games when using stats. Since those are the only ones that actually take place every week (with a few exceptions).

And let's not be premature about his situation this season. It's not 3 coaches yet ;) He was Excellent pre-season. And then got injured. So give him a chance. Although I'm sure you'd be the first one to celebrate if he fails.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
No he hasn't. Not in the position he should be playing anyway.

But that's the issue. On form Gattuso (first half of 08/09) or now. Or an on form Ambrosini (last season for most part) are simply better DMs than him. And I don't really think he's got attributes to be a proper box to box player.

I mean who does he play over of that duo?

And let's not be premature about his situation this season. It's not 3 coaches yet ;) He was Excellent pre-season. And then got injured. So give him a chance. Although I'm sure you'd be the first one to celebrate if he fails.

fair

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I'd give Flamini up in a heartbeat if Gattuso could magically keep this form for the next 4 seasons :cry:

like it or not, you'll get 4 more years on rino!

My thing is the team would be better suited instead of having 3 players who only accell in destroyer role (I know Ambrosini can do more on occasion, but seriously his consistently good performances have been playing pure DM) when it makes more sense to have 2 destroyers and another player like prince. Box to box, can take defensive roles if needed.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
He hasn't got a consistent run of games cause he can't go 2 games without picking up massive cards!

2008/9: 28 starts, 8 sub appearances- 10 yellow cards
2009/10: 19 starts, 13 sub appearances- 9 yellow card, 2 red cards

Overall: 47 starts, 21 sub appearances- 19 yellow cards, 2 red!?!?!?

Whats worse is if you look at it BY minutes he's a card machine. Few of those starts were 90 mins and a lot of late subs cause he's always late.

I hate to blame coaches for this cause it's 3 coaches now. Coaches don't hate him, but he's his own worst enemy....

Actually think his tackling timing is pretty good. His problem is he keeps tackling studs first, the fact that he hasn't broken someones leg yet really shows his timing is actually pretty good, cause his tackles are insane.

You'd think that by now someone would've told him to stop tackling studs first, it's a yellow pretty much everytime cause he always goes all in.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
My thing is the team would be better suited instead of having 3 players who only accell in destroyer role (I know Ambrosini can do more on occasion, but seriously his consistently good performances have been playing pure DM) when it makes more sense to have 2 destroyers and another player like prince. Box to box, can take defensive roles if needed.

I was about to say that also. Unless Flamini shows some class this year (2010) I would like to see him leave and get someone who is more like Boateng instead. Gattuso, Ambrosini and Strasser are enough DMs for this season. Boateng, the new guy and Merkel will be that other kind of midfielder.

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Eerie. I called it. WHY DO PEOPLE USE THIS ARGUMENT?

Serie A is much different than the EPL. And it's not a worse league. Flamini is not cut out for Italy.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
He is probably the best RB on our team, if Gattuso keeps his form maybe play KPB, Pirlo, and Gattuso in the mid and Flamini at RB

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He is probably the best RB on our team, if Gattuso keeps his form maybe play KPB, Pirlo, and Gattuso in the mid and Flamini at RB

Remember what happened when we tried him at fullback? It was an unequivocal success. But he whined and moaned, and then eventually refused to play there. Sell him.....

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
^^that's news to me. i never knew flamini to be a whiner...wow. but i would agree that if he doesnt perform like boateng or better, during the course of this season. he should be sold. on the other hand. if he's used as a pure DM and manages to do well, we should keep him. if this doesnt happen, sell.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Remember what happened when we tried him at fullback? It was an unequivocal success. But he whined and moaned, and then eventually refused to play there. Sell him.....

I know he didnt want to play there, but if he has the option between playing FB or playing bench that he would pick FB. He is a bit older now and hopefully more mature.

Schedule