The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

View Poll Results: How do you like Montolivo?
1st 11 13 14.44%
On the bench 20 22.22%
In another team 29 32.22%
Retired 28 31.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15   #1001
Campione
Banned
 
Campione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fav. Players: Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Pirlo, Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni, Suarez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
Nocerino was supposedly a midfielder with defensive duties. He doesn't defend that well. In fact, he's so bad defensively that Aquilani's offensive creativity has to be compromised to make up for Noce's defensive shortcomings.

His best contribution to the team has been scoring. Credit where it's due, he has great positioning and fantatic work rate
Defending is 80 percent about positioning and work rate. Great sliding tackles and such are just extras.

Nocerino is crucial to Milan! Not because he is scoring but because he is very valuable for the team both in defence and offence.

In defence because he sees dangerous open spaces and takes the runs to get there. He also often force opponents to do misstakes.
In offence because he moves constantly and creating open spaces for him self and others.

It is no coincidence that we almost never win when Nocerino has been on the bench.


Aquilani the other hand is overrated and thats where we need Montolivo.

Last edited by Campione; 06-01-2012 at 06:32.
Campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56   #1002
Ash
Swag Maestro
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post


Nocerino was supposedly a midfielder with defensive duties. He doesn't defend that well. In fact, he's so bad defensively that Aquilani's offensive creativity has to be compromised to make up for Noce's defensive shortcomings.

His best contribution to the team has been scoring. Credit where it's due, he has great positioning and fantatic work rate, but that's about it. He lacks the technique or passing range or even shooting (yes long shots, all his goals were tap ins) to be a good offensive midfielder for the team. And he lacks the grit and the tackling ability to be a ball winning midfielder, or the intelligence and composure to play as an anchor.

In other words, Nocerino might not be doing bad in the current setup, but his presence limits the team from growing. He's in great form currently, but in the long term, he's not someone to depend on as a starter. In fact, based on ability not on form, Nocerino is the weakest link in midfield. He's having his moment now, but in a couple of months the goals will fade and people will start to realize his limitation.

He's a good squad player, nothing more. Montolivo should be signed to replace him in the starting line-up.


ok

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01   #1003
yagami7gnr
AC Milan Icon
 
yagami7gnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campione View Post
Defending is 80 percent about positioning and work rate. Great sliding tackles and such are just extras.

Nocerino is crucial to Milan! Not because he is scoring but because he is very valuable for the team both in defence and offence.

In defence because he sees dangerous open spaces and takes the runs to get there. He also often force opponents to do misstakes.
In offence because he moves constantly and creating open spaces for him self and others.

It is no coincidence that we almost never win when Nocerino has been on the bench.


Aquilani the other hand is overrated and thats where we need Montolivo.
Overrated? He does not have the stamina that Nocerino has; however, he cover more positions than Nocerino does; specially, if ambro is playing.
yagami7gnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56   #1004
Dottore Joey
Vice
 
Dottore Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iceland
Fav. Players: Zlatastic, Messi, Ronaldo Duo, Sheva, Maldini, Nesta, SES, Montolivo, Sigurdsson, Lloris
Default

Hating on Nocerino


Signature
Dottore Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:24   #1005
Redman10
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default

The midfield been leaking goals because collectively it has been poor ; it is noway Nocerino fault alone. I have to go back and look at some highlights but I would say Aquilani has cause more goals conceded than Nocerino.
Redman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:38   #1006
Danilo JBG
World Cup Winner
 
Danilo JBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Default

Ah, c'mon. Nocerino isn't the problem now. He may drop his form at some point, but right now he deserves to play, even if he has been more an attacking player than a defensive one. The same happened with Boateng when he started playing well as a trequartista. I think just Allegri would have that idea and there he is.

Football isn't that complicated. I don't think there are hidden problems behind a good form. He's playing well, so he deserves to be in the team. In normal conditions, I'd rather have Montolivo in the lineup instead of Nocerino, but right now I don't think that would be helpful at all.
Danilo JBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:15   #1007
Redman10
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default

When I think about it, it actually pretty sad that Montolivo is considered an upgrade to this midfield. Montolivo would be nothing more than a squad player in most top clubs.
Redman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:38   #1008
Sven
Super Moderator
 
Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Right now Seedorf is basically the only substantial change of style Allegri can do in our starting midfield (and still people think he should be 15 points above Juve)... Now with Gattuso back and Montolivo he would have many more options to work with.

Montolivo is more versatile/complete than our midfielders... He would suit from a more possesion oriented game with Aquilani or Seedorf to a more defensively sound team with Gattuso or whatever. He would work with a runner also.

Sure it's not a world beater midfield, but his arrival would add enough rotation for the players, different possibilities for Allegri to work with at every game, to change games from the midfield and so on.
All in all this deal can make a huge difference.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:56   #1009
abbeyleemania
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Default

Montolivo is an upgrade over Van Bommel/Ambrosini. if we sign him and with Flamini and Gattuso coming back from injuries, i doubt if we can make a move for an anchor in the summer, Sandro, Fernando or De Rossi will be very unlikely in this case...

i like Nocerino's workrate, runs to box, movement and positioning, however he still needs to improve, especially on tackles and tactically, otherwise, happy with him.

On the other hand, Montolivo is solid and good passer. im considering him for anchor role, not for LCM role. We need upgrade for LCM as well.

Who says Aquilani is overrated? Again this kind of logic. Just look at his assists. RCM is a new position to him, he just need to get used to there tactically. i think that his defensive game should be better. His from dropped a bit lately, its quite normal, he always played cuz we didnt have a sub for him. Allegri just rested him vs Siena then he had to play him.

if i remember correctly, Gattuso played as CDM under Ancelotti for half season or so. We were at the top, then he is injured. then we gave up on the scudetto race. Gattuso was one of the best players for us, when he played as CDM.
abbeyleemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:08   #1010
ELMAGO99
AC Milan Legend
 
ELMAGO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY/IT/CR
Fav. Players: Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyleemania View Post
Montolivo is an upgrade over Van Bommel/Ambrosini. if we sign him and with Flamini and Gattuso coming back from injuries, i doubt if we can make a move for an anchor in the summer, Sandro, Fernando or De Rossi will be very unlikely in this case...

i like Nocerino's workrate, runs to box, movement and positioning, however he still needs to improve, especially on tackles and tactically, otherwise, happy with him.

On the other hand, Montolivo is solid and good passer. im considering him for anchor role, not for LCM role. We need upgrade for LCM as well.

Who says Aquilani is overrated? Again this kind of logic. Just look at his assists. RCM is a new position to him, he just need to get used to there tactically. i think that his defensive game should be better. His from dropped a bit lately, its quite normal, he always played cuz we didnt have a sub for him. Allegri just rested him vs Siena then he had to play him.

if i remember correctly, Gattuso played as CDM under Ancelotti for half season or so. We were at the top, then he is injured. then we gave up on the scudetto race. Gattuso was one of the best players for us, when he played as CDM.
100% agree. Not many people remember but rino was great at cdm.
ELMAGO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:59   #1011
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
what is senatore's take on ibra mb?

nocerino has been invaluable so far...i dont think senatore would dispute that. but...montolivo would clearly change the composition of the midfield only because he is capable of more. this has nothing to do with nocerino's shortcomings...just, montolivo is a bigger player than him.

@ mb-----montolivo has a comfort in possession that nocerino will never have. he can also cover more ground. he is smarter in using the ball and is capable of passes that nocerino is not. he is a superior player. saying this, i love nocerino. i can see montolivo playing anchor with noce and aquilani beside him....boss as anchor with monto+aqui...really any combination. montolivo would be a huge asset. versatile asset.

and prince is our best midfielder.
I wouldn't say invaluable, but certainly his goals have been big. That said, I'm not sold he's all of a sudden some 12-15 goal scorer. He's scored 6 in his entire serie A career. He has 6 this half season. Honestly.... that's luck.

And the rest of his game is just below par.

However I agree with rest, and sadly, I agree Prince has been our best midfielder. Which is a big reason I think our midfield is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
You have to ask him.

And I don't think he finds Nocerino as invaluable, his posts doesn't imply that anyway.

Noce isn't only about the goals, even though his goals has been a very big part of his success. His runs are very important for us.



I don't disagree with most of this. But there are stuff Noce has that Monto lacks. It's not like Noce is useless compared to Montolivo. That's why I think some of you really overrate montolivo... remember his age and achievements so far. I'm not saying that Noce is the perfect player and he may very well be benched for any combination depending on opposition.

And I disagree about prince, I'm not impressed by him all that much. He's more of a reason why Ibra has to play deep than Nocerino.

I might have been harsh on nocerino. I'm just saying if you asked me out of the 3, aquilani, montolivo, nocerino who i'd bench first. It'd be nocerino.

Obviously he has a role as a squad player, but I don't see much more than that. The other two have capability ( and i emphasize, capability, not certainty) to be starters on a ucl contender.

Both are tactically more intelligent.

Montolivo is better tactically, a better defender, abd a better passer than Nocerino.

Aquilani is better passer and much more vision than both. I said it in previous posts but basically, when allegri switched nocerino and aquilani's roles, we've seen more defensive solidarity out of aquilani (who is poor defensively in his own right) and seen less decisiveness from aquilani, because he doesn't get forward. I mean he got 6 assists in first 8-10 games, and then got moved deeper and the assists stopped because he is not a player to play that pirlo long ball... He's more one to float thru midfield and deliver the 5 to 15 yard thru ball.

In an ideal situation Aquilani would be the 'least defensive' of our CM's and given most freedom to go forward and string team. With montolivo this could happen, and then ibra could stay higher up.

The work rate thing is a question but we must remember, aquilani isn't lazy, montolivo isn't lazy and prince would still start. This isn't the 2008 milan with 3 mids who stay home and gattuso running insane covering everyone. And Nocerino would be what i consider first option off bench around 60th to use his work rate to replace whoever's most tired and close our matches. Or in some cases start.

--

I simply think Nocerino without the current goal spell, really is below par. He's a poor tackler, he's poor tactically, and his passing is not very good. He's a fine enough in squad role, but i think montolivo is a better player who would upgrade his position.

And i don't particularly love montolivo. Their are mids i'd prefer more for that role.


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:00   #1012
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyleemania View Post
if i remember correctly, Gattuso played as CDM under Ancelotti for half season or so. We were at the top, then he is injured. then we gave up on the scudetto race. Gattuso was one of the best players for us, when he played as CDM.
are you talking 08-09. Cause Rino was RCM then.

Seedorf plays anchor when pirlo was hurt.


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:11   #1013
Godfather
World Cup Winner
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
are you talking 08-09. Cause Rino was RCM then.

Seedorf plays anchor when pirlo was hurt.
There was a time when Gattuso was played as a CDM because of Pirlo's injury. He played there for the first half of the season, and if I remember correctly, he did quite well. I even recall you and Wild having some arguments about it (Pirlo vs Gattuso in CDM position).
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:18   #1014
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy
 
KujaIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
are you talking 08-09. Cause Rino was RCM then.

Seedorf plays anchor when pirlo was hurt.
Yeah... Carlo's last year.

Pirlo was out, Seedorf played DM, Rino was fucking incredible at RCM. We were top. Drew against Cagliari after beating Inter, I believe and it all unravelled.


Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:19   #1015
Pedro
iedereen is gek
 
Pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Default

Anywho, I would welcome Montolivo as long Milan doesn't give him more than Aquilani. He is not the kind of player that should earn a lot. Like many said, he would be a squad player. He would useful to have. Since many midfielders are running out of contract, we can both sign Montolivo and a quality midfielder or two as well, before next season starts. And of course bring (and buy) Merkel and Strasser back.

Reading all this talk about our midfield(ers), I really like the idea of having Strootman as our left-centre midfielder. He would add the defensive part, but also he is a ball playing player. With him Aquilani can add more attacking wise, and we will be better defensively. And of course before next season starts, we need to have a new anchor. Fernando Reges would be awesome. He and Strootman, and our midfield is so much better.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38   #1016
leopard190
Senior Team Member
 
leopard190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Fav. Players: Fabregas, Yaya, TS33, Abidal, MVB, Abbiati
Default

He shouldn't earn a lot? I don't get that. He can "earn" whatever the hell he wants to earn if he shows Allegri ability, effort, consistency and other qualities that coaches like. I personally prefer him over Aqua since he's more complete and consistent.

You seem to be dead set on the idea that he play a certain role on this team and nothing more but you leave out the possibility that he outperforms the players you would have him back up. If we get him he'll get a fair chance to prove himself and then a role will be determined for him. You can't predetermine a role for him at this point but it's obviously one of two things: squad rotation or starter. Whichever one he ends up filling will be due to his performances here. I always have hopes that players to improve with us and it's not like Montolivo is walking into a WC midfield so he'll get his chance.
leopard190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:45   #1017
Pedro
iedereen is gek
 
Pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard190 View Post
He shouldn't earn a lot? I don't get that. He can "earn" whatever the hell he wants to earn if he shows Allegri ability, effort, consistency and other qualities that coaches like. I personally prefer him over Aqua since he's more complete and consistent.

You seem to be dead set on the idea that he play a certain role on this team and nothing more but you leave out the possibility that he outperforms the players you would have him back up. If we get him he'll get a fair chance to prove himself and then a role will be determined for him. You can't predetermine a role for him at this point but it's obviously one of two things: squad rotation or starter. Whichever one he ends up filling will be due to his performances here. I always have hopes that players to improve with us and it's not like Montolivo is walking into a WC midfield so he'll get his chance.
Sure, I agree, but doesn't that make him kinda equil to Aquilani? Why should he earn more? He's not Schweinsteiger.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02   #1018
Campione
Banned
 
Campione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fav. Players: Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Pirlo, Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni, Suarez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Sure, I agree, but doesn't that make him kinda equil to Aquilani? Why should he earn more? He's not Schweinsteiger.
Montolivo has a higher value on the market than Aquilani.

But mostly Montolivo will be better paid than Aquilani because he is nearly out of contract so we will get him cheap.
Campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15   #1019
mrki
AC Milan Icon
 
mrki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: passive offside
Fav. Players: maldini, pippo, boban
Default

Montolivo is a great player to have in the squad. For a few mln its a bargain deal... No question about it.

Also, he will not give us the jump in top quality we can get from players like Hamsik, Fabregas etc.
mrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56   #1020
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon
 
Goodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Pedro, did you have the same opinion of Montolivo a year ago?
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:38.





Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2002-2011 The Red & Black Forums. These are fan forums and are in no way affiliated with AC Milan S.p.A.