The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

View Poll Results: Who will make the quarter finals?
Germany 23 63.89%
England 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-06-2010, 18:24   #541
Sheva0172
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta

Kalac, greetings from QF with your UBER defense.

Signature
San Paolo
Sheva0172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:28   #542
Calum1903
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
So now versatile jack of all trade players are bad? I mean carrick and Barry are no Maurice Edu, but they are good midfielders.

Carrick isn't a jack of all trades though; he's just a sideways passer and nothing more.

Barry does have more going for him, in fairness. He's useful to have in the squad, but he's a long way off being a top player in any position IMO. I don't think he has the brain to be a proper holding midfielder.
Calum1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:30   #543
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

Calum why do you dislike senna
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:36   #544
Calum1903
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish View Post
Calum why do you dislike senna

If I wanted to have this discussion I would post in the Pirlo thread.
Old 28-06-2010, 19:01   #545
Christian
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Quote:
4-4-2 with 2 flying wingers will NOT work in football outside EPL. 2 CMs just doesn't work. you get overwhelmed with possession.

I always got feeling capello went for the 3/4 CM midfield to try and IMPOSE more possession for that reason, and still didn't work. Sadly the 4 he choose would have lent perfectly for the ancelotti diamond

gerrard
lampard----milner
barry

Anyway you can quib about midfield or attack but IMO..... All englands problems r tied to backline. You could see from moment Rio Ferdinand went down they looked worse and worse. If tourney was in 2009, they might have been serious contenders...

Ill also blame the terry fiasco. It's sad but true, england really never looked confident. Weird cause i thought they'd pull it together but while other national teams rally together with england there was a big 'i don't give a shit' attitude. Am i only one who saw that? Just didn't see passion you see with say.... south american sides
Yes, I think this is what he was going for. It seemed to me that Capello wanted to do something with England along the lines of what Van Gaal did @ Bayern.

Bayern played a 4-4-2 on paper, but Müller dropped deep, and Ribery would drift inside meaning that they never would have only two guys in the middle. Capello seemed obsessed with keeping the right winger on the right, and get Ashley Cole forward to keep width, so Gerrard could cut inside. What happened though was that the Right Winger for some reason was all over the place, which to me would explain why Capello kept substituting the player at that position. Rooney was mostly completly absent and against Germany he didn't drop deep at all... And Ashley Cole never really got forward as much as he should. This resulted in a team that simply couldn't keep the ball against Germany.

To me the English players are just not disciplined enough. Always saw players like Rooney and Gerrard as a bit headless and I think it showed.

Anyways, that's just my take on their tactics.

Regardless I think the problem is pretty obvious. There are currently less domestic players in the EPL than in any other league. Furthermore Arsenal, Man U and every other EPL club are filling their youth academies up with non-English players pushing out English players, since the clubs, unlike Italian clubs, are allowed to sign players under 18. The talent pool is just to small for a country that want to win competitions. This is reflected in the fact that the starting 11 might be decent enough, but there's really not that much beyond that. It's not like Capello let players in the mold of Cassano or Balotelli stay him like Lippi did.

Last edited by Christian; 28-06-2010 at 19:03.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:52   #546
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Fav. Players: Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Regardless I think the problem is pretty obvious. There are currently less domestic players in the EPL than in any other league. Furthermore Arsenal, Man U and every other EPL club are filling their youth academies up with non-English players pushing out English players, since the clubs, unlike Italian clubs, are allowed to sign players under 18. The talent pool is just to small for a country that want to win competitions. This is reflected in the fact that the starting 11 might be decent enough, but there's really not that much beyond that. It's not like Capello let players in the mold of Cassano or Balotelli stay him like Lippi did.
2 reasons for that.

1. EPL teams aren't allowed to scout kids who live further than 90 minutes away. A lot of the players that are within 90 minutes of United are going to City because they are offering the families holidays, money and other tactics.

2. Kids are only allowed to train for something like an hour a day when they're under 15, which isn't nearly enough.
manutd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:55   #547
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf

Yeah, maybe they can't train at your training ground. But you could give him a schedule and make him do it.

Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 21:03   #548
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujaIX View Post
Yeah, maybe they can't train at your training ground. But you could give him a schedule and make him do it.
You can't make them do it. You can ask them, but you have no way of knowing what they're doing really. Clubs aren't allowed to give them official training over a certain amount a day.

You'll learn a lot more being trained by quality coaches for a big club than playing heads and volley's in the park.
Old 28-06-2010, 21:16   #549
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd fan View Post
You can't make them do it. You can ask them, but you have no way of knowing what they're doing really. Clubs aren't allowed to give them official training over a certain amount a day.

You'll learn a lot more being trained by quality coaches for a big club than playing heads and volley's in the park
South America disagrees with you.

I think the over-organization in Europe is becoming a bit of a problem
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 21:19   #550
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Quote:
South America disagrees with you.

I think the over-organization in Europe is becoming a bit of a problem
That's more because they play 24/7. On the road, on the beach ect. Football is a way out for a lot of them, but it's a luxury for many accross Europe.

edit:

I do agree with your point though. In Barcelona during matches they let you do what you want apparently, they encourage skills and creativity no matter where you are on the pitch so the players play with freedom.

Last edited by manutd fan; 28-06-2010 at 21:23.
Old 28-06-2010, 22:33   #551
Australiano1980
#CommunismKills

Fav. Players: Van Basten, Maldini, Savicevic, Baresi, Desailly, Gullit, Romario

atleast the english team is always #1 in england..

lets hope they always keep it that way...

england have to organize a world cup soon.. or they'll never will one anymore.

Signature
Australiano1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 23:31   #552
Madridista
not exactly a lightweight

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco, Jese

Its very simple for England. Play either Gerrard or Lampard. Make your choice, because both of them doesn't work. Tried to infinity, never worked, at least one has to play in a position where hes totally ineffective (because both are arguably limited), becomes a liability in defence and on top of that they clash with each other in attack. Mclaren failed with that, so did Ericsson, I thought Capello was gonna be smarter. I kno its hard to renounce of a talent of either one of them, but for the sake of the team he should have done that.

Signature

#ForeverMario
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 01:54   #553
Calum1903
AC Milan Icon

I've stayed out of this thread 'cause I don't want to be a dick, but this video was just too good. The guy who appears around 58 seconds:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/video/clip/s...uedafrika.html
Old 29-06-2010, 02:09   #554
Pedro
iedereen is gek

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum1903 View Post
I've stayed out of this thread 'cause I don't want to be a dick, but this video was just too good. The guy who appears around 58 seconds:

Wtf? lol,,,
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 02:17   #555
Ali Daei
Kaliris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum1903 View Post

LMAO I love how he shows up at 1:40
Ali Daei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 14:46   #556
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

Quote:
It would be nice to think that we are the golden generation rather than the footballers

Graeme Swann isn't shy about voicing his opinion after England beat Australia to win the NatWest series while the footballers lost to Germany in the World Cup
haahha
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 02:23   #557
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Roy Keane telling it like it is:

Interviewed 2 days ago...
Old 30-06-2010, 02:35   #558
Ali Daei
Kaliris

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd fan View Post
Roy Keane telling it like it is:

Interviewed 2 days ago...
Thats so true.
Reminds me of how everyone was criticizing leo.
Ali Daei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 23:23   #559
OneUnited

Legend. When the sports media's contrived inquisitions are in full swing, trust Roy to tell it like it is. It's a simple game made complicated by idiots.
OneUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 13:53   #560
Christian
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

A bit old now, but:

Christian is offline   Reply With Quote