1/16 - Germany (4) vs. England (1) - June 27th

Who will make the quarter finals?

• Total voters

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
It depends, and I can't be bothered to look into the individual players, but if somebody lived in Poland/Turkey/wherever until they were around 16/17 then moved to Germany, that's wrong IMO. Players like Podolski who have lived there since being a child I really don't have a problem with.
Can't fully disagree. The German players are grown up in Germany though (most are even born in Germany). (Maybe there is an exception though.)

Now, what I wrote was more of a sarcastic statement.

Then my reply was referring to Kuja. (I indeed wasn't too sure about you meaning it.)

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It depends, and I can't be bothered to look into the individual players, but if somebody lived in Poland/Turkey/wherever until they were around 16/17 then moved to Germany, that's wrong IMO. Players like Podolski who have lived there since being a child I really don't have a problem with.
I don't see the problem, given that Cacau is the only one who was 'naturalised'. Boateng, Khedira and Gomez were born in Germany to German mums, while Ozil was born in Gelsenkirchen, albeit to two Turkish parents. Trochowski, Marin, Podolski and Klose are the only players in the squad who weren't born in the country, though the former two moved to Germany at age one and five, while Podolski's parents migrated to Germany when he was two. Klose - who is of German descent - moved from Poland to Germany to live with his father at age seven.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
I don't see the problem, given that Cacau is the only one who was 'naturalised'. Boateng, Khedira and Gomez were born in Germany to German mums, while Ozil was born in Gelsenkirchen, albeit to two Turkish parents. Trochowski, Marin, Podolski and Klose are the only players in the squad who weren't born in the country, though the former two moved to Germany at age one and five, while Podolski's parents migrated to Germany when he was two. Klose - who is of German descent - moved from Poland to Germany to live with his father at age seven.

+1

Multiculturalism should be respected not ridiculed.

These guys work their ass of for Germany and leave their heart on the pitch.

I bet Ozil, Khedira, Marin... are much more german then a lot of Hanses, Alberts, Carstens...

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
You do realise how inaccurate that statement is, right?

I was never any good at history...care to elaborate? If England wasn't in two world wars then I've been living under a rock for a long time.

Though you should really know that I was merely quoting an advert ;)

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I was never any good at history...care to elaborate? If England wasn't in two world wars then I've been living under a rock for a long time.

Though you should really know that I was merely quoting an advert ;)
It's just as inaccurate as Wales claiming that they beat Germany in a war, given that it was the United Kingdom who contested the second WW. England were neither an independent country, nor did they win it on their own; seeing as their contribution was far outweighed by the US and Soviet Union. As for the first WW, the British Empire consisted of countries such as India, New Zealand and Canada... I highly doubt that any of them would have the audacity to claim any 'victory' over Germany.

Quoting an advert or not, it is a chant often sung by various England fans in stadiums and pubs.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Would Russia ever claim that they had won the 2nd WW? Because in your logic they can't as they were part of many current countries

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's just as inaccurate as Wales claiming that they beat Germany in a war, given that it was the United Kingdom who contested the second WW. England were neither an independent country, nor did they win it on their own; seeing as their contribution was far outweighed by the US and Soviet Union. As for the first WW, the British Empire consisted of countries such as India, New Zealand and Canada... I highly doubt that any of them would have the audacity to claim any 'victory' over Germany.

Quoting an advert or not, it is a chant often sung by various England fans in stadiums and pubs.

According to pretty much every site I've had a quick look at, we had a massive impact in the war. We saved France, Poland, Hungary ect as they were done for until we came in (and then the US came when we were in trouble).

British empire or not, we still won the war. Our "side" was victorious. The German/Japanese lost.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
stalin/russian-winter won it for you or for the world

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Japan "won" the war by bringing USA to it too soon.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
LOL everytime you get your ass kicked and USA comes to help you :D

Well once to be fair. USA came into WW2 because Japan destroyed their ships, not to help Europe. WW1 was when they came to help us.

Anyway, the point still remains. Germany = scum. Apart from Boris Becker ;)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
dont forget about colonization

english are hug huge cunts except beckham :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I love Germany, great country + perfect cars.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

That looks amazing. Wish I was there.

Love "gatherings" like that.

Get's my adreniline pumping. Fucking come on Engerland!

As much as I detest many aspects about England's football culture, we're still better than the rest :cool:

Outrageously good song aswell.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
LOL everytime you get your ass kicked and USA comes to help you :D

Atleast people helped. Unlike when everyone was quaking at the thought of the strongest empire ever, THE BRITISH EMPIRE and so no-one came to help India. :D

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If I am cheering my fucking ass off more than ever during a match during this match, it will be because of you, England fans, damn...

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If I am cheering my fucking ass off more than ever during a match during this match, it will be because of you, England fans, damn...

Aren't you dutch? If so surely you hate Germany too?

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Aren't you dutch? If so surely you hate Germany too?

I got a Dutch and a German parent, and I have more sympathy for German NT than Dutch NT.

adriancg

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Buffon, Fábregas, Rino, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Zidane, Kaká, R9, Pato, Agüero, Thiago Silva, Jovetic

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I got a Dutch and a German parent, and I have more sympathy for German NT than Dutch NT.

Oh right. That shut me up :D

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Would Russia ever claim that they had won the 2nd WW? Because in your logic they can't as they were part of many current countries
I don't think Russians can claim to have 'won' the war, rather that they played a massive role in defeating Germany and saving Europe from Nazism. There's also the fact that approximately 90% of the Russian army was composed of ethnic Russians, as opposed to the British army who had Scots and Englishmen fighting alongside each other.

According to pretty much every site I've had a quick look at, we had a massive impact in the war. We saved France, Poland, Hungary ect as they were done for until we came in (and then the US came when we were in trouble).

British empire or not, we still won the war. Our "side" was victorious. The German/Japanese lost.
Like I said, the UK/British Empire's influence was far outweighed by the Americans and Soviets, hence, why this "Two World Wars and one World Cup" chant is as inaccurate as it is amusing. Ask any German what they think of it and the response will almost always be the same, they'll laugh off the 'two WWs' claim and throw the "We've won it two more times than you" in your face.

Being on the victorious 'side' doesn't make it acceptable, given that no other nation who was part of the 'Allies' uses offensive war-references to wind-up fans of the opposition. There were no war banners in the Celtic-Bayern Munich game a few years ago, nor when Scotland held Germany to a 1-1 draw earlier that year. Why must racial slurs and offensive chants exist among English fans, then?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Like I said, the UK/British Empire's influence was far outweighed by the Americans and Soviets, hence, why this "Two World Wars and one World Cup" chant is as inaccurate as it is amusing. Ask any German what they think of it and the response will almost always be the same, they'll laugh off the 'two WWs' claim and throw the "We've won it two more times than you" in your face.

It wasn't far outweigned though. Had England not stepped in several countries would have been taken over. Considering how many countries were involved, Britain was one of the most important nations.

I may have got this mixed up, but I thought the Soviets switched sides halfway through and went on Germany's side.

Being on the victorious 'side' doesn't make it acceptable, given that no other nation who was part of the 'Allies' uses offensive war-references to wind-up fans of the opposition. There were no war banners in the Celtic-Bayern Munich game a few years ago, nor when Scotland held Germany to a 1-1 draw earlier that year. Why must racial slurs and offensive chants exist among English fans, then?

No one has ever defended the songs. You said it's innacurate to suggest we won the way, when infact it isn't.

And as for Scotland et all not singsing the songs, it's because they don't have the rivalry with Germany that we do. It's one of, if not the biggest rivalry in Europe. Actually Scotland probably like Germany these days, purely because the Germans hate the English. The Scots are extremely bitter in this regard, except for Calum of course ;)

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Please don't let your ropey grasp of history get you banned, Utd fan.

And as for Scotland et all not singsing the songs, it's because they don't have the rivalry with Germany that we do. It's one of, if not the biggest rivalry in Europe.

I've never met a German who thinks this rivalry exists.

Actually Scotland probably like Germany these days, purely because the Germans hate the English. The Scots are extremely bitter in this regard, except for Calum of course ;)

Most Scots don't like Germany; they just hate England. I like Germany though.

Last edited:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Please don't let your ropey grasp of history get you banned, Utd fan.

For what exactly?

You don't need an A* in history to know that England won the war along with all our other allies, nor do you need one to know that we played an important part.

I've never met a German who thinks this rivalry exists.

Most Scots don't like Germany; they just hate England. I like Germany though.

It's true that the rivalry comes more from England than Germany. Probably because we need a rival who we actually compete against (no offense meant here) and like to hate.

Though Boris Becker last night on Today at Wimbledon said that the Germans do consider this there biggest game + expect it to be the most watched game of all time in their country.

Schedule