Thiago Silva Thread

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
yea yea. you see the thing is, it was a last minute change as gattuso seemed to have injured himself in the warm-up idk. so when Silva was thrown into the midfield fray he seemed anxious at the beginning. Which lead to him being poor. had he known he was going to play there before hand, he would've been more prepared. but the major thing is mentality. it's a different mindset that you'll have when you're playing in front of the defence as compared to playing in the defense and you'll have to be doing the things that you'd expect from your midfield as a defender.

a little out of nature, but he was far from being out of his depth. cuz, depsite his anxiety, he tried to remain calm and keep his position and did not try to over-assert his presence in front of the defence e.g. like when papa had come on for Nesta he immediately ran out of position and loss possession too. Silva didnt do that. so imo he showed discipline and awareness and above all focus. yes he lost possession a couple of times but after the 2nd half he became a bit more comfortable after getting a feel for the role of CDM.

all in all, i have no complaints about his performance. i'm not saying that just because it was a last minute change "and you can't rly complain" but more so because he played well and actually did not do anything worth complaining over.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yea yea. you see the thing is, it was a last minute change as gattuso seemed to have injured himself in the warm-up idk. so when Silva was thrown into the midfield fray he seemed anxious at the beginning. Which lead to him being poor. had he known he was going to play there before hand, he would've been more prepared. but the major thing is mentality. it's a different mindset that you'll have when you're playing in front of the defence as compared to playing in the defense and you'll have to be doing the things that you'd expect from your midfield as a defender.

Was this a response to me/Senatore, or just a general point?

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Thiago Silva: "However, Milan needed somebody to play there after Gattuso got injured. For Milan, I would even play as a goalkeeper."

Omg. Incredible.

PedroBR

Primavera
Reaction score
It's ok to help the team sometimes by improvising in another position, but he is CB, and must play as a CB.
Milan needs to sign Lucas, or Casemiro.

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Thiago Silva: "However, Milan needed somebody to play there after Gattuso got injured. For Milan, I would even play as a goalkeeper."

Omg. Incredible.

I want to hug this man so bad atm.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
@ Calum

You sound like those who criticize 18 year old for not giving fantastic performances in their debuts. Kind of pointless arguments since it's obvious that's not going to be the case 99 out of 100 times.

For a CB called upon to play in midfield just before kick off he did GREAT. But compared to a ordinary midfielder, well duhh, of course he didn't show the same composure and experience.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@ Calum

You sound like those who criticize 18 year old for not giving fantastic performances in their debuts. Kind of pointless arguments since it's obvious that's not going to be the case 99 out of 100 times.

For a CB called upon to play in midfield just before kick off he did GREAT. But compared to a ordinary midfielder, well duhh, of course he didn't show the same composure and experience.

I didn't criticise him; I said I think people are exaggerating their praise of him. Like I said, I think he did just fine.

Of course, what I meant by that was that I hate Silva's guts and am furious that people praise him instead of Ambrosini.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
nah calum, I think what MilanMB is trying to say is, you're usually anal. :D

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I know you didn't criticize him, I just said you sounded like those who slash out ungrounded criticism. If that makes any sense to you :D

And people are not exaggerating their praise if they're praising a CB playing in midfield. It's very rare in top football today to see a CB playing so good in a midfield position (and again, without any preparation).

I can't even come up with a name... help me out.

Yes Sage, he's being very anal about this.

Last edited:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And people are not exaggerating their praise if they're praising a CB playing in midfield. It's very rare in top football today to see a CB playing so good in a midfield position (and again, without any preparation).

I can't even come up with a name... help me out.

I can think of a few who've filled in well at DM on numerous occasions, but not many one-offs. At the same time, I can't think of many centre backs who've been asked to play a one-off game in midfield and been dreadful either.

Anyway, that's not going to change my view of Silva's performance. It just means there are less examples to compare it to. I know you're trying to suggest that I don't understand the nature of Silva's task, but I think I do.

Don't take it personally - I tend to think most of the opinions on this forum, whether negative or positive, are too extreme. That probably just means I'm boring.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
What Calum said is spot on. He had a pretty mediocre first half, he was barely ever going in for tackles when he should have. But grew into the role in the 2nd half and was better.

Of course it was a commendable performance considering the circumstances, but some praise he's getting is exaggerated.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I can think of a few who've filled in well at DM on numerous occasions, but not many one-offs. At the same time, I can't think of many centre backs who've been asked to play a one-off game in midfield and been dreadful either.

Really? I'm still trying to think of players in the top clubs who have done either.

Name me a couple of CB's in Europe's top clubs who has done what Silva did today. I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, I really want to know.

Anyway, that's not going to change my view of Silva's performance. It just means there are less examples to compare it to. I know you're trying to suggest that I don't understand the nature of Silva's task, but I think I do.

Don't take it personally - I tend to think most of the opinions on this forum, whether negative or positive, are too extreme. That probably just means I'm boring.

I don't know where you find the extreme in praising Silva for doing a good job in midfield. I don't think anyone said "fuck CB, his place is in midfield" or "if we were playing a CL final, I would put Silva as DM".

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just being as anal as you are about this :D

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Really? I'm still trying to think of players in the top clubs who have done either.

Name me a couple of CB's in Europe's top clubs who has done what Silva did today. I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, I really want to know.

Why only the top clubs? And when you say "what Silva did today", do you mean stepping in at DM for the very first time? Both of those criteria make it incredibly hard to name any. Top clubs have huge squads, and narrowing it down to one-offs greatly reduces the chances of me actually having seen the game.

Off the top of my head, I can name you two who've played for lesser teams, against top teams. Surely that's more impressive than doing it against Cesena anyway? I'm pretty sure I remember Carlos Marchena playing in midfield against Barcelona, and Gary Caldwell put in a surprisingly good midfield performance against France. I don't think I happened to see the first time either of those two played in midfield though.

Anyway, I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm assuming your point is that the unusualness of Silva's job tonight makes his performance more impressive? I'm aware that it's rare, but I'd already taken that account and it's not going to change my opinion now.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Lol at wee little callum the ginger inciter :tongue:

Reaction score
In my opinion, he is the best player of Milan in this season...

My top four :
1. Thiago Silva
2. Ibra
3. Robinho
4. Pato

Mrk

Il Capitano
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Sheva
Good game but i much prefer him in defence, he doesn't look world class in midfield, in defence he does.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Forza Milan!

Last edited:

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He was immense in the 2nd half defense wise. Did numerous headers clearing away cessenas goal kicks. None of our other DMs are able to do that. Shows how good he is in aerial battles. Huge difference between his performance and ambrosinis and lol this was his first official match as MF.......

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme

Ramzee

Forza Milan per sempre!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
De Sciglio, Ambrosini, SeS, Montolivo.
"However, Milan needed somebody to play there after Gattuso got injured. For Milan, I would even play as a goalkeeper."

Man if he is not our future captain, then fuck all.

Dutchie-Milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Still cant believe we got him for just 10 million....makes me just laugh out loud,especially when you read that Chelsea are buying Luiz for 30 million....lol!Galliani is a fucking genius!

So damn happy he went to the good side of Milano,remember Inter where very very close to him and everybody expected them to sign Thiago and BOOM all of the sudden Milan made the transfer official.Even Silva himself admitted that he was very close to joining Printer,really happy he is with us.

What a player.

Ramzee

Forza Milan per sempre!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
De Sciglio, Ambrosini, SeS, Montolivo.
And he doesn't look any like stereotypical brazilian footballers. Represents greath athleticism, spirit, intelligence, humbleness. :)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
So does Lucio...wait i just pucked.
:D

Silva isn't an asshole ... he seems the humble type, and perhaps is more technically sound than Lucio. However, if we were to compare him to another Brazilian CB, Lucio will probably be closest to him.

He still needs to learn to lead the defense ... organize and marshal it especially now that Nesta is out. In this crucial part of the season, Silva has to deliver the goods ... else we may fall short especially against a vibrant attack-minded Spurs. Can't afford to gift them too many away goals ...