FIFA thread

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Luis Figo is not in the race to be fifa's president anymore.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Well...some shit is starting to go down: http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-pre...ption-at-soccer-body-fifa-1432698994?mod=e2tw

Edit:
ZURICH — Swiss authorities began an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plain-clothed Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich.

The officers went to the registration desk to get keys, then headed upstairs toward the hotel rooms.

The charges allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering. Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment soon against more than 10 officials, not all of whom are in Zurich, law enforcement officials said.

The arrests were a startling blow to FIFA, a multibillion-dollar organization that governs the world’s most popular sport but has been plagued by accusations of bribery for decades.

The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though he was not charged. An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give him a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.

The case is the most significant yet for United States Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who took office last month. She previously served as the United States attorney in Brooklyn, where she supervised the FIFA investigation.

With more than $1.5 billion in reserves, FIFA is as much a global financial conglomerate as a sports organization. With countries around the world competing aggressively to win the bid to host the World Cup, Mr. Blatter has commanded the fealty of anyone who wanted a piece of that revenue stream. He and FIFA have weathered corruption controversies in the past, but none involved charges of federal crimes in United States court.

United States law gives the Justice Department wide authority to bring cases against foreign nationals living abroad, an authority that prosecutors have used repeatedly in international terrorism cases. Those cases can hinge on the slightest connection to the United States, like the use of an American bank or Internet service provider.

Switzerland’s treaty with the United States is unusual in that it gives Swiss authorities the power to refuse extradition for tax crimes, but on matters of general criminal law, the Swiss have agreed to turn people over for prosecution in American courts.

The case further mars the reputation of FIFA’s leader, Mr. Blatter, who has for years acted as a de facto head of state. Politicians, star players, national soccer officials and global corporations that want their brands attached to the sport have long genuflected before him.

Critics of FIFA point to the lack of transparency regarding executive salaries and resource allocations for an organization that, by its own admission, had revenue of $5.7 billion from 2011 to 2014. Policy decisions are also often taken without debate or explanation, and a small group of officials — known as the executive committee — operates with outsize power. FIFA has for years operated with little oversight and even less transparency. Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/s...cials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?_r=0

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
all jailed are heads of latin american football federations

not a single people surprised

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
was about time.. Blatter also should be arrested.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The tip of the iceberg was Traffic's bribe case.

There's a big sponsor involved too... Nike?

Anyway, thank you 'merica

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Blatter will probably be arrested soon as well for accepting bribes from Russia and Qatar to host the world cup. Plus he's trying too hard to win votes and is prepared to take away a playoff spot from CONMEBOL and give it to OFC most likely to secure votes.

This post is from the Copa Libertadores thread:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Did anyone else read this? They want to take a World Cup play-off spot in South America because of what Boca Juniors did :fp:

If anything CONMEBOL should have 5 guaranteed spots and one playoff spot since there is a lot of quality teams in South America and every World Cup at least two good teams are left out in favor of low performing European teams simply because Europe is seen as the global capital of soccer. Blatter is only trying to do this to get votes from the Oceania region and I hope his corrupt ass doesn't get re-elected again. He has to go.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The tip of the iceberg was Traffic's bribe case.

There's a big sponsor involved too... Nike?

Anyway, thank you 'merica

nike gives the official material of comebol isnt?

i know they got alot of money from nike at cbf.. everybody stealing from everybody.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
all jailed are heads of latin american football federations

not a single people surprised
Man the president of our FA has a business right next to my afternoon work office, I need to see the shit that is going down there.

TBF, I dont think he's THAT implicated, he only got nominated for a position back in March, which means yes he either knew something, got something, or was ready to get his hands dirty, but in terms of usefulness to the grand scheme of things...probably worthless.

I've been trying for past few weeks looking for ways that could finish FIFA or Blatter, US getting involved was obviously one, international organizations through human rights demands...still the only one that will be effective is players in europe leagues, all top players, with their clubs and leagues, withdrawing from FIFA's domain. That will mean FIFA losses sponsors (which we all know atm are mostly just going express deep concern but not take real action)...of course this is a utopy. But with 2022 WC being held on December, I can imagine UEFA will have a strong stand and that could be the breaking point.

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CGBWqjqWgAAlwPY.jpg

Official word of the DoJ

- spans at least two generations :eek:

- not the final chapter

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man the president of our FA has a business right next to my afternoon work office, I need to see the shit that is going down there.

TBF, I dont think he's THAT implicated, he only got nominated for a position back in March, which means yes he either knew something, got something, or was ready to get his hands dirty, but in terms of usefulness to the grand scheme of things...probably worthless.

I've been trying for past few weeks looking for ways that could finish FIFA or Blatter, US getting involved was obviously one, international organizations through human rights demands...still the only one that will be effective is players in europe leagues, all top players, with their clubs and leagues, withdrawing from FIFA's domain. That will mean FIFA losses sponsors (which we all know atm are mostly just going express deep concern but not take real action)...of course this is a utopy. But with 2022 WC being held on December, I can imagine UEFA will have a strong stand and that could be the breaking point.

Yeah, I think there's at least 2 big schemes involving WC votes - to Russia and Qatar.

And lateral cases related to marketing companies (Marin is probably involved with Traffic) and maybe at the level of Conmebol, Concacaf, etc

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Attorney General Lynch! :cool:

Ok, so what will happen with the May 29 elections? Will anyone even dare to show up? Will Blatter even leave Switzerland now?

Edit: In general, these are peons, they probably waiting to get a crown witness, perhaps hoping other FAs from the rest of the continent collaborate (as well as from other Confeds, leading by example), there will probably be a few other rounds of peons...till they start getting bigger fishes.

Last edited:

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Jack Warner :proud:
Trinidad and Tobago corruption in general :proud:
1443372_heroa.jpg

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Attorney General Lynch! :cool:

Ok, so what will happen with the May 29 elections? Will anyone even dare to show up? Will Blatter even leave Switzerland now?

Edit: In general, these are peons, they probably waiting to get a crown witness, perhaps hoping other FAs from the rest of the continent collaborate (as well as from other Confeds, leading by example), there will probably be a few other rounds of peons...till they start getting bigger fishes.

They may want to vote and keep a semblance of institutional normality... But probably a lot of the voters have a lot of ass to cover.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
It was just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
CGBWqjqWgAAlwPY.jpg

Official word of the DoJ

- spans at least two generations :eek:

- not the final chapter

This two generations comment probably means they are talking about Joao Havelange as well. I know he, Nicolas Leoz and Ricardo Teixeira took bribes and when they were exposed; they each resigned from their respective positions. Even though I haven't read anything on the subject, I have my suspicions that Havelange was also involved in match fixing. That 1990 World Cup final comes to mind immediately because too many decisions and fouls were given in favor to Germany in that match.

I hope they do take down the corruption in the footballing world one step at a time. I also wish they would investigate the FEF president in Ecuador (Luis Chiriboga) since he has been holding back Ecuadorian football for over 15 years now with his TV deals, kickbacks, money laundering, and punishing any Ecuadorian club team who goes against him.

:lol:

South America really is corrupt as hell. I can't think of one CONMEBOL nation who doesn't have corrupt officials managing it.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This two generations comment probably means they are talking about Joao Havelange as well. I know he, Nicolas Leoz and Ricardo Teixeira took bribes and when they were exposed; they each resigned from their respective positions. Even though I haven't read anything on the subject, I have my suspicions that Havelange was also involved in match fixing. That 1990 World Cup final comes to mind immediately because too many decisions and fouls were given in favor to Germany in that match.

Match fixing is unlikely.
But bribes and all sort of financial crimes, that will get them.

There's this American investigation, Swiss is focused on the Russia/Qatar WC. This American data will be used by Brazilian justice who already got open cases they couldn't put ahead... Probably will kickstart a legislative investigation too.

Teixeira & co are surrounded. Just a matter of time

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
i like how sepp blatter continued the work of the great joao havalange

football has always been about envelopes and always will be

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

Apparently Blatter knows where to find the money!

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm just gonna leave this here ;)

q6NIVFy.jpg

:lol:

Match fixing is unlikely.
But bribes and all sort of financial crimes, that will get them.

There's this American investigation, Swiss is focused on the Russia/Qatar WC. This American data will be used by Brazilian justice who already got open cases they couldn't put ahead... Probably will kickstart a legislative investigation too.

Teixeira & co are surrounded. Just a matter of time

If they take away the world cup from Russia and Qatar who do you reckon they will give the world cup hosting to?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they take away the world cup from Russia and Qatar who do you reckon they will give the world cup hosting to?

Germany is FIFA plan B since 2006...
They can even add Polish stadiums