The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Discussions

AC Milan Discussions Talk about AC Milan's tactics, AC Milan news, events, history, etc., in here. Also find out details on how to travel to Milan and buy AC Milan tickets.

Old 08-07-2008, 20:39   #41
Sasha
The UNBANNABLE One

Fav. Players: Azzurri e Rossoneri

Old article on Milan Lab:

http://www.worldchiropracticalliance...2006/nov/k.htm

November 2006

Third‑millenium chiropractic: A tour of the Milan Lab

by Carl Lundgren, DC and Yannick Pauli, DC

In world soccer, A.C. Milan is a legend. Founded in 1899, A.C. Milan has long been among the world's most successful soccer clubs. In its more than 100 years of existence, it has packed its trophy room with 16 Italian League Championships, 5 Italian League Cups, 4 League Supercups, 6 UEFA Champion League Cups, 3 Intercontinental Cups, 2 Winners' Cups and 3 European Supercups. It is truly a step above your average team.

But for the chiropractor, A.C Milan's peculiarity does not reside only in its impressive list of wins.

What sets it apart is the amazing vision brought about and implemented by Jean‑Pierre Meersseman, DC, an internationally known chiropractor and practitioner of applied kinesiology.

Dr. Meersseman is the long‑time Medical Director of A.C Milan and has created a revolutionary model of health care management, injury prevention and performance enhancement. This model is based on the philosophy, science and art of chiropractic and has brought to the players of the team a tremendous competitive edge.

Meersseman's clinical experience in chiropractic and applied kinesiology has allowed him to evaluate the function and performance abilities of the players in a way that was never possible with the previously applied medical models. Still, Dr. Meersseman realized that this purely empirical approach was not sufficient. The whole process had to become more scientific, reproducible and documented. So, with the help of Daniele Tognaccini, A.C Milan athletic coach, and Bruno Demichelis, a sport psychologist with a rare and refined understanding of chiropractic, Meersseman created the MilanLab.

Located in Milanello, the MilanLab is a high‑tech scientific research centre designed to optimise the players' psycho‑social conditions, help them achieve and maintain top‑level athletic performance, help the medical staff predict injury and give the coach valuable support on each individual player's performance capabilities.

The creation of MilanLab, like most innovations, caused a few waves. "Since our model is deeply rooted in the philosophy, art and science of chiropractic, the medical staff was quite closed to the idea when I first arrived," recalls Meersseman. "So I had to fire the medical doctors who did not want to come onboard."

Today, Meersseman ‑‑ whom everyone at A.C. Milan calls Professore, the Professor ‑‑ heads a medical staff of about 40 people, including medical doctors, physical therapists, athletic trainers, psychologists, nutritionist and two other full‑time chiropractors.

The results of MilanLab are impressive. Since the implementation of the project in 2002, the incidence of non‑traumatic injuries has dropped by 92%. "Before we implemented our holistically‑based chiropractic approach, we had so many injuries we needed about 35 players in the team. Today, we only require 22," commented Meersseman. "There was a time when non‑traumatic injuries lead to the use about 7 injections per week. Last year, 4 injections were made for the entire year."

This reduction in the rate of injury has brought a tremendous competitive edge to the players and dramatic savings to the Club. At this level, players cost millions of dollars, and injuries can be a tremendous economic burden to the club.

The core of MilanLab is a computerized system that is capable of evaluating the player's condition and fitness, based on objective data, numbers and metrics. Every two weeks, data is collected from the mental, biochemical and structural domains through a series of testing circuits consisting of various pieces of scientific equipment. Among those are a quarter‑million‑dollar biomechanical analysis lab and various machines to evaluate neurological functions that range from electrovideonystagmography to neurofeedback. All the data are integrated into intelligent software programs and displayed on a highly‑user friendly graphic interface.

Each player then has a personal record created from the data, which can be used to design individual and specific preparation programs that range from physical training, to diet, and to mental optimisation.

The system is also designed to alert the medical staff to psycho‑physical indicators that may signal a risk situation. The staff can then design a plan to correct anomalous values and prevent injuries.

MilanLab is also equipped with an in‑house MRI machine, a high‑tech fitness centre, rehabilitative swimming pools, relaxation centre.

Chiropractic is at the core of the philosophy of health care in MilanLab. With a chiropractor as the head of the medical staff, the goal of care is to optimize the mental, physical, and bio‑chemical factors (Triune of Life) that are vital to player performance.

"Players are seen every day by the chiropractor," Meersseman explains. "This allows us to prevent numerous injuries, while maximising the player's performance. We apply chiropractic in a subluxation‑centered, wellness‑oriented perspective. We especially place a strong emphasis on the upper cervical area and applied kinesiology allows us integrate the biochemical and mental aspect of the triangle of health, as well as to respond to the specific needs of sports chiropractic."

Having the privilege to visit MilanLab is an eye‑opening experience. Never before has the potential of chiropractic been so apparent. The integration of traditional chiropractic principles with high‑tech scientific technologies allows Meersseman and his team to bring the best of chiropractic to the best soccer players in the world.

Signature

MILAN
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 12:24   #42
project1967
National Team Player

4 hernia in a little more than 1 year.
After Nesta and Serginho, this week that was Bonera who went under the knive, and that could possibly be Kaka turn very soon.

http://www.milannews.it/index.php?ac...idnotizia=3540
project1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 23:42   #43
Congo Powers
humble monza supporter

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Cutrone

milan lab should be more transparent, IMO. thoughts?
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 23:55   #44
samir10
Moaaarr Attackers :proud:

Fav. Players: Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme

considering ronaldo's problems some time ago and now pato flying to brazil for some medical treatment i say yes.

Signature
samir10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 00:43   #45
Astafjevs
Senior Team Member

I'm not a huge fan, and I don't buy into all the propaganda that goes around, about how it is a some sort of magic centre and the standard for Europe in terms of medical care.

We get a lot of injuries, and it isn't just to do with the fact we have older players. It has been a long time since we've had a season where we haven't had injuries affecting the squad in a major manner.
Astafjevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:48   #46
ladro
AC Milan Icon

No. The players are old as fuck and i dunno how did this ''milan lab is responsible for the players injuries'' theory even materialized in the first place?!? Fact is if a warm atmosphere can do a player good more than fancy medical equipment than why not send him there?

ladro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:40   #47
Astafjevs
Senior Team Member

Well I didn't say they were responsible for the players injuries, but we seem to get a lot each season, and whatever methods they are using are going to be put in doubt as long as that continues to happen.

Thiago Silva (25), Bonera (28), Borriello (27), Di Gennaro (21) have all been injured this year. Even Gattuso, at 32, is not what I consider old, just the wrong side of 30.
Astafjevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:52   #48
Senatore_M84
'The King of RnB'

Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astafjevs View Post
Well I didn't say they were responsible for the players injuries, but we seem to get a lot each season, and whatever methods they are using are going to be put in doubt as long as that continues to happen.

Thiago Silva (25)
, Bonera (28), Borriello (27), Di Gennaro (21) have all been injured this year. Even Gattuso, at 32, is not what I consider old, just the wrong side of 30.
these 2 have a long history of injuries stemming before milan.

Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:32   #49
Centre
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano84 View Post
these 2 have a long history of injuries stemming before milan.
i know silva had injury issues in the past but i dont remember bori having injury problems before last season... ? maybe im wrong.

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
AC MILAN. we big dick. deal with it.
Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:39   #50
Senatore_M84
'The King of RnB'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centre View Post
i know silva had injury issues in the past but i dont remember bori having injury problems before last season... ? maybe im wrong.
possible. I recall him having some injuries when on loan at trevisio or sampdoria but i could be wrong. Nothing like last year. But then again it should be said, his style of play would lead to ALOT of injuries

Signature
Quote:
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Old 21-01-2010, 19:06   #51
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G

Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

Stand by my point of 2 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4milan View Post
a)Risks you take when you have an old team (and lack of depth which makes us rush certain players out of injuries).
b) It's not crap, but it won't magically dissapear injuries. Technologically it may have the best of the best things out there, but that alone won't make changes.
c) There's players that are injury prone just cause that's what they are, they can have the best doctors at their disposal, they can have the best physical preparation...but their body is like that.
d) It can have all the computers you want and all, but the biggest work is done by humans, and like anything made by humans it has the possibility of mistakes.
e) There are injuries which nothing in the world can prevent (a.k.a shit happens).

BTW, blamming MilanLab for Pippo's kidney stones is LOL worthy.
(Lol, I didn't remember anyone blaming Pippo's kidney stones on Milan Lab).
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 19:11   #52
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli, Michael Avenatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astafjevs View Post

Thiago Silva (25), Bonera (28), Borriello (27), Di Gennaro (21) have all been injured this year. Even Gattuso, at 32, is not what I consider old, just the wrong side of 30.
All teams have injury'crisis'. It's part of the game. I believe we would be about 10 injuries ahead of drugcartell called Juventus.

Meanwhile you can see every other team moaning about injuries at times - now it has hit Arsenal, Manu. Roma fired their med-personel. Juventus are constantly missing 7 players since last year. Mourinho is moaning, though he does it regardless of the situation.

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 19:12   #53
Senatore_M84
'The King of RnB'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
All teams have injury'crisis'. It's part of the game. I believe we would be about 10 injuries ahead of drugcartell called Juventus.

Meanwhile you can see every other team moaning about injuries at times - now it has hit Arsenal, Manu. Roma fired their med-personel. Juventus are constantly missing 7 players since last year. Mourinho is moaning, though he does it regardless of the situation.
all of this= milanlab's fault

Signature
Quote:
#RnB
Old 21-01-2010, 20:53   #54
samir10

Fav. Players: Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme

so what about luiz nazario de lima ronaldo?

Signature
Old 21-01-2010, 20:55   #55
Congo Powers
humble monza supporter

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Cutrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by samir10 View Post
so what about luiz nazario de lima ronaldo?
all injuries during his career = milanlabs involvement
Old 21-01-2010, 21:15   #56
ladro
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

lol

TS and birri are both injury prone players..........or at least TS, dont know whats marcos status been before milan. Other than those 2 our below 30ish players dont really get injured all that much. those that do..........part of the game.

Many medical experts praise milan lab so i doubt its just baloney altogether. Some journos did ask galliani/ancelotti whether milanLab aint all that effective and if some new staff should be appointed and both denied milanlab is any kind of problem.
ladro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 21:46   #57
samir10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
all injuries during his career = milanlabs involvement
wow you got me there! you know what i mean. afaik he didn't have any serious injuries since joining corinthias?

Signature
Old 21-01-2010, 21:59   #58
melanman
The Oracle

Milanlab's is good at makin old players play longer, not necessarily gettin young players back quickly. That being said they are good at what they do.
melanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:00   #59
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G

Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

Quote:
Originally Posted by samir10 View Post
wow you got me there! you know what i mean. afaik he didn't have any serious injuries since joining corinthias?
It's all fault of european teams then, cause long injuries were a regular feature in his career.
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:25   #60
Congo Powers
humble monza supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4milan View Post
It's all fault of european teams then, cause long injuries were a regular feature in his career.
the supreme council of the 'anti-brazilian-sentiment-authority' purposely injured ronaldo to protect white-european players legacies.