The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:35   #201
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
Can anyone tell me whats Milan's fans' opinion on Gullit before, but especially after his latest comments on Milan and Maldini; the Dutch trio of the late 80ties early 90ties holds a lot of respect but it seems Ruud is the least popular of them as far as I see, can someone explain why?
He was indeed the least fave among the 3 Dutch Trio. He was the fans fave in 87/88 when Milan won the scudetto (9 goals in his first season including goals vs Inter and Napoli, 2 assists at the Sao Paolo stadium vs Napoli). Sacchi built his offense around Gullit. He also bagged the Balon d’Or award in 88, first Milan player after Gianni Rivera to win it. But although he scored 2 goals in 89 Champions Cup final his contribution in later years was diminishing due to injury (in the game vs Steaua he forced himself to play and his injury got worse because of this game). In 89 and 90 MvBasten rightfully stole the limelight from him while Gullit only made 2 appeareances the league in 89/90 season.

There was also the comment that Gullit made about the tactical situation in Milan and he said that he could leave Milan and his fellow Dutchman could also follow, only for MvBasten to replied that he’s happy in Milan and Gullit’s comment should not be taken as the collective statement of the Dutch trio. This doesn’t favor him in front of Sacchi.

After Capello arrived in 91/92 season, Gullit seemed to find the 2nd wind and he made 26 appearances and scored 7 goals (including 2 goals at the away game vs the defending champion Sampdoria), still a good rate but far below of MvBasten’s top scoring 25 goals. However he began to question Capello’s decision to play him as right winger instead of his fave position as a striker (Capello preferred the duet of MvBasten and Simone/Massaro). His frustration grew even bigger in 92/93 season because Milan brought in Dejan Savicevic who could play in Gullit’s position. His pleading with Capello fell to deaf ear, the coach said Milan won the 91/92 scudetto unbeaten with that system, so why the need to change it. Capello’s decision not to play him in the 92/93 CL final was the final straw for him. He left Milan in the 93/94 season to Sampdoria (he won the Copa Italia there) but returned again the next season, only to stay for half season then went back to Sampdoria.

So for Milan fans, he was great for one season in 87/88 but the rest of his playing days in Milan he was considered as supporting roles, not as key player, and trouble maker with the coach. His club changing also didn't win him many adulation. In fact, he infuriated Milan fans and top management on his very first press conference when he was introduced as the new Milan player. While MvBasten was calmly sitting in the corner, all attention went to Gullit and he was asked whether he can be as good as Gianni Rivera, to which he answered “who’s Gianni Rivera?” .

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19   #202
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

Federico Giunti, discuss.

Signature

"You cannot buy football, you construct it." - Arrigo Sacchi.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:35   #203
Madridista
Disco

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
He was indeed the least fave among the 3 Dutch Trio. He was the fans fave in 87/88 when Milan won the scudetto (9 goals in his first season including goals vs Inter and Napoli, 2 assists at the Sao Paolo stadium vs Napoli). Sacchi built his offense around Gullit. He also bagged the Balon d’Or award in 88, first Milan player after Gianni Rivera to win it. But although he scored 2 goals in 89 Champions Cup final his contribution in later years was diminishing due to injury (in the game vs Steaua he forced himself to play and his injury got worse because of this game). In 89 and 90 MvBasten rightfully stole the limelight from him while Gullit only made 2 appeareances the league in 89/90 season.

There was also the comment that Gullit made about the tactical situation in Milan and he said that he could leave Milan and his fellow Dutchman could also follow, only for MvBasten to replied that he’s happy in Milan and Gullit’s comment should not be taken as the collective statement of the Dutch trio. This doesn’t favor him in front of Sacchi.

After Capello arrived in 91/92 season, Gullit seemed to find the 2nd wind and he made 26 appearances and scored 7 goals (including 2 goals at the away game vs the defending champion Sampdoria), still a good rate but far below of MvBasten’s top scoring 25 goals. However he began to question Capello’s decision to play him as right winger instead of his fave position as a striker (Capello preferred the duet of MvBasten and Simone/Massaro). His frustration grew even bigger in 92/93 season because Milan brought in Dejan Savicevic who could play in Gullit’s position. His pleading with Capello fell to deaf ear, the coach said Milan won the 91/92 scudetto unbeaten with that system, so why the need to change it. Capello’s decision not to play him in the 92/93 CL final was the final straw for him. He left Milan in the 93/94 season to Sampdoria (he won the Copa Italia there) but returned again the next season, only to stay for half season then went back to Sampdoria.

So for Milan fans, he was great for one season in 87/88 but the rest of his playing days in Milan he was considered as supporting roles, not as key player, and trouble maker with the coach. His club changing also didn't win him many adulation. In fact, he infuriated Milan fans and top management on his very first press conference when he was introduced as the new Milan player. While MvBasten was calmly sitting in the corner, all attention went to Gullit and he was asked whether he can be as good as Gianni Rivera, to which he answered “who’s Gianni Rivera?” .
So you wouldn't really like the option of him being Milan manager in the future (since I've seen you like the possibility of Van Basten or Rijkaard to take the place)?

Signature

#ForeverMario
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:05   #204
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Quote:
So you wouldn't really like the option of him being Milan manager in the future (since I've seen you like the possibility of Van Basten or Rijkaard to take the place)?
Well actually I've also mentioned Gullit as possible Milan coach but for sure I'd prefer MvB or Rijkaard. Gullit's widely used the term champagne or sexy football in his coaching career (Chelsea and Newcastle United) but with not much success. I guess he only won the FA cup. So if I have to choose playing beauty or winning, I'd go for winning (especially at this moment).

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:48   #205
Centre
AC Milan Legend

I wouldnt want him... Like gaizka said i dont think he would mind losing as long as the team looked "sexy" doing it.

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
AC MILAN. we big dick. deal with it.
Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 19:32   #206
Lisa
Super Moderator

Fav. Players: Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini

MILANELLO - Before today's training session at the Milanello sporting center, two generations of Milan goalkeepers came in close contact: Zeljko Kalac and Lorenzo Buffon, Milan goalkeeper in the 50s and 60s. Here is what they said:

LORENZO BUFFON:

"It's always a big emotion coming back here to Milanello. First of all I want to give my compliments to Kalac, I'm an admirer of his and I really think he's a good player.
I can't deny my emotion to be here where I spent a lot of my career. I've always said I played in a great Milan, but as a Milan fan I must also compliment president Berlusconi for everything he has done for this great club.
I'm a born milanista and for this reason when we played against Juventus in Turin, despite the fact my nephew Gigi was playing in goal, I supported Milan."

ZELJKO KALAC:

"I'm happy to be a part of this club and to be able to give my contribution in the race for the fourth place. Now there are only four games left before the end of the season and we have have to get as many points as possible. We are playing well and it will be important to go to Livorno on Sunday with the awareness that we have to win

The only thing I know about Lorenzo, is that he's Gigi's uncle. Can anyone fill me in on how good of a goalkeeper he was with Milan, are there any kind of similarities between him and Gigi?
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 17:50   #207
vashil
National Team Player

Fav. Players: Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero

look at kalac first line...what a shame for milan!!!!

im not blaming kalac but the fourth place
vashil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 17:56   #208
Lisa
Super Moderator

I know, we used to cheer them on for winning championships, now we're cheering them on for fourth.

Last edited by chely; 23-04-2008 at 18:00.
Old 23-04-2008, 19:00   #209
Armin__m
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: >>rossoneri<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely
The only thing I know about Lorenzo, is that he's Gigi's uncle. Can anyone fill me in on how good of a goalkeeper he was with Milan, are there any kind of similarities between him and Gigi?
i don`t think anyone on this board has watched him play,but i read he was a really good gk..

Lorenzo BUFFON 1949-59
Goalkeeper who along with Nils Liedholm won four championships with Milan in the 1950s. Made his debut at the age of 20 while he was fourth choice and kept the No 1 jersey for the next decade. Also played 15 times for Italy before moving to Genoa and Inter.

channel4.com,all time best 11..
Armin__m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:22   #210
Lisa
Super Moderator

^Thanks
Old 24-04-2008, 08:16   #211
vashil
National Team Player

Fav. Players: Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero

yep man that is killing me..
Old 07-05-2008, 04:48   #212
paijo17
BAyond Godlike

Fav. Players: Maldini.. Kaka.. Pirlo.. Gattuso.. Ibou.. Zizou.. Collymore etc. haha..

Quote:
no,thanks!

Signature
paijo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 22:52   #213
lia
yada yada

Fav. Players: Mané Garrincha, Kaká, Nesta, Ronaldo

Franco Baresi in Budapest - may 2008
(press conference about Milan Junior Camp)

Part 1

Part 2

Signature
lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 23:15   #214
sLurPPP
il diavolo

Fav. Players: Leah Dizon, 3, 21 , 9MVB, 13, 7S, 22, 10RC, 4Alb, 7 Len, 10Savi

Shevchenko : sitting on the bench watching football n some talent

we should get him to be Milan Scout
sLurPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 17:55   #215
paijo17
BAyond Godlike

Fav. Players: Maldini.. Kaka.. Pirlo.. Gattuso.. Ibou.. Zizou.. Collymore etc. haha..

BUON COMPLEANNO REDONDO!!!

Name : Fernando Redondo
Date of birth : July 6, 1969
Place of birth : Adrogu, Buenos Aires

----
nice guy with great skilll
but with bad luck in Milan

Signature
paijo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 19:55   #216
Cristina
Super Moderator

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli

BARESI, diventa dirigente

Franco Baresi, storico capitano rossonero del Milan di Sacchi e Capello, dopo alcuni anni trascorsi in panchina ad allenare il settore giovanile ora avrà un posto dietro la scrivania di via Turati.

L'incarico avrà inizio da lunedì prossimo, 4 agosto, e l'ex difensore entreeà a far parte della direzione marketing della società rossonera. e avrà, tra gli altri, come collega un suo ex compagno di squadra, Daniele Massaro.

Secondo quanto riferisce la Gazzetta dello Sport Franco Baresi potrebbe diventare anche il simbolo della società rossonera nel mondo grazie al legame fortissimo che non si è mai spezzato nemmeno negli anni della serie B e per il suo ottimo comportamento dentro e fuori dal campo.

milannews.it
Cristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28   #217
mizonero23
Primavera Player

Fav. Players: Van Basten, Mohamed Zidan, Huntelaar, Paul Gascoine, Gary Lineker, Amr Zaki, Hassan Shehata, Gattuso

I was just reading news abt Coloccini's transfer from Deportivo La Coruna to Newcastle United. They said that guy was a Milan player, loaned to like 5-6 clubs before he was finally bought by Deportivo. It was the first time to hear he was a Milanista.
mizonero23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20   #218
vashil
National Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizonero23
I was just reading news abt Coloccini's transfer from Deportivo La Coruna to Newcastle United. They said that guy was a Milan player, loaned to like 5-6 clubs before he was finally bought by Deportivo. It was the first time to hear he was a Milanista.
LOL... man i really loved him but he had a fall in his game..too bad!!
Old 10-08-2008, 14:02   #219
genc
Rossonero

Fav. Players: Maldini - Boban - Van Basten - Nesta - Ronaldo - Ronaldinho

gourcuff scored on his debut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THVfZK-aSxY

ps: I posted this here under ex-milan players cuz I couldnt find Yohans thread in players section

Signature

The Almighty Photoshop
genc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 14:12   #220
DSM
AC Milan Legend

Gourcuff has the potential to be an excellent player in years to come.
DSM is offline   Reply With Quote