The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

Old 03-07-2012, 19:39   #261
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
Does anyone remember confederations cup 1997?

Italy vs. Brazil - game ended 3-3. It's one of the best games I've ever seen.

I have seen that in tv years and years ago .. god i am so old

I didnt know cesare was paolos dad

bald heads vs hair

Last edited by Ashish; 03-07-2012 at 19:43.
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 23:55   #262
SpartanMilan
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, De Rossi, Schweinsteiger, Pippo, Forlan, Alex Morgan <3, Pato

Some evidence of why development is so important and talent only goes so far-
Quote:
Calcio Debate: Azzurri Set For Golden Age?
May 30. 2008
Last night the Italy Under-21 side won the Toulon Tournament after beating Chile 1-0 in the final. Carlo Garganese believes that a new golden generation of Italian youngsters are coming through…

Having watched every one of the Azzurrini’s games during the 2008 Toulon Tournament in France, I can safely say that the future looks very bright for the senior Italy national team.

Some question marks have been raised about Roberto Donadoni’s 23 men that will travel to Euro 2008. The squad is in fact the oldest of all 16 teams participating, with an average age of 29.57. Eight of the first XI are over the age of 30, including the entire back five, Gianluigi Buffon included. While at Euro 2008, this experience, as it was in Germany at 2006, could be invaluable, it is quite clear that much of this team will have to be broken up and rebuilt come South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014.

Fortunately, the youngsters coming through are possibly the best that Italy have had in years. Pierluigi Casiraghi’s Under-21s were hugely impressive in winning the Toulon Tournament, with most of the squad making a big impact.

Empoli’s Davide Bassi was commanding throughout the festival, and was named goalkeeper of the tournament. Marco Motta and Lorenzo De Silvestri both suggested that they have Azzurri futures ahead of them by impressing in the full back positions, while the likes of Andrea Coda, Lino Marzorati and Salvatore Bocchetti were mean in defence. All in all the Azzurrini conceded just one goal in five games and 450 minutes of football – pretty remarkable stuff.

The strength of depth that the Azzurini had at their disposal was apparent in midfield as Casiraghi rotated in almost every game, with Antonio Nocerino, Daniele Galloppa, Luca Cigarini, Daniele Dessena, Claudio Marchisio, Ignazio Abate, Tiberio Guarente, and Antonio Candreva all impressing at various times. Nocerino, as the captain, showed real leadership qualities throughout, displaying the kind of form that won so many admirers in the first half of the season for Juventus. Parma duo Cigarini and Dessena will surely not stay in Serie B next season, and the latter provided a brilliant pass for Pablo Osvaldo’s winner in the final. Marchisio scored a contender for goal of the tournament with a stunning left foot half volley from 30 yards against Turkey.

Candreva displayed all the confidence in the world by executing a Francesco Totti/ Antonin Panenka-like spoon penalty in the shootout against Japan. Guarente meanwhile hit the post in the final after lobbing the Chilean goalkeeper from the half way line. Finally of course there is winger Abate, co-owned by Milan, and a quite explosive talent, with blistering pace and quick movements. Against Japan, the 21-year-old went on a solo run, beating three men and running the whole length of the field, before firing wide.

And so on to the forward positions. First of all lets remove Graziano Pelle from the equation, who is perhaps the worst player I have ever seen represent Italy at any level of football. Indeed this Under-21 side reminded me of the Brazil 1982 World Cup team, who had a host of legends such as Zico, Falcao and Socrates, but were unfortunately left down by a lumbering frontman called Serginho, who was completely out of his depth.

Pablo Osvaldo had a generally quiet tournament until he exploded into life in the final, scoring the winner in a man-of-the-match performance. The 22-year-old’s bicycle kick on the final day of the season that booked Fiorentina’s place in the Champions League is a sign of his potential. Davide Lanzafame certainly showed that with the right training and guidance he can become a really exciting player in the years to come. The comparisons with Cristiano Ronaldo may be a little far fetched, but he certainly shares some of the explosive and exaggerated movements of the Manchester United man.

Finally of course there is Sebastian Giovinco, named player of the tournament after two goals, two assists and a host of brilliant displays. So naturally gifted, Giovinco has the potential to be one of the best players in the world in the years to come, and he is the ‘great hope’ for both club-and country.

Just how bright Italy’s future really is, can be demonstrated fully by the fact that this Azzurrini side that triumphed at Toulon was actually missing more than half of its first team players.

Villarreal’s Giuseppe Rossi and Cagliari’s Robert Acquafresca are the first choice strike force, and will be so at this summer’s Olympics Games. The usual centre back partnership is Domenico Criscito regarded by some as the eventual heir to Fabio Cannavaro, and Napoli’s Fabiano Santacroce, described by many as the next defensive phenomenon and the “new Alessandro Nesta”. Paolo De Ceglie, co-owned by Juventus, often plays at left back, and once again is another explosive prospect who can roar up-and-down the flank.

Then of course in midfield you have Riccardo Montolivo, who will be at the Olympics, having just missed out on a place at Euro 2008. One must also not forget the incredibly gifted Andrea Russotto of Treviso, who even managed to outshine Giovinco in a number of Under-21 games towards the end of 2007. Russotto has been described by some as the “new Roberto Baggio”.

Those who graduated from the Under-21s last season are also showing great promise. Michele Canini of Cagliari had a superb end to Serie A season, while Alessandro Rosina just needs to join a big club before his sky-high potential can be fulfilled. Giorgio Chiellini and Alberto Aquilani have both made it to Euro 2008, and they will surely become Italy regulars in the years to come.

The teenage brigade in Italy are said to be even more talented than those just older than them. Fernando Forestieri, and the “new Pippo Inzaghi” Alberto Paloschi, both 18, are two such examples. Then of course there is the 17-year-old wonderkid Mario Balotelli, who I am absolutely certain is a future superstar, providing he keeps his head screwed on.

While Italian club teams may be struggling in Europe for financial reasons, the same certainly cannot be said about their youth development. The high percentage of homegrown players in Serie A is clearly paying dividends, and the Italy national team could soon be entering into a new golden age.
so few of those players have made any mark at all, and a lot of it had to do with a lack of game time. Italy can hope that some of those players reach their potential later on (like a Diamanti or Barzagli) but more likely it is a lost group of talent. same goes for the 2004 U-21 Euro winners that should have been getting into their peak for 2010 and this Euro but mostly never reached what they could have become (Gilla, Rosina, Brighi, etc)

Signature
SpartanMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:02   #263
acm55
Rossonero

Il ct dell'Italia Cesare Prandelli, come riferisce il sito della Figc, ha diramato le convocazioni per la partita amichevole con l'Inghilterra in programma il prossimo 15 agosto allo 'Stade de Suisse' di Berna (ore 21).

Ecco la lista completa dei convocati:

Portieri: Andrea Consigli (Atalanta), Mattia Perin (Pescara), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain);
Difensori: Ignazio Abate (Milan), Francesco Acerbi (Milan), Davide Astori (Cagliari), Federico Balzaretti (Roma), Mattia De Sciglio (Milan), Daniele Gastaldello (Sampdoria), Angelo Ogbonna (Torino), Federico Peluso (Atalanta);
Centrocampisti: Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Alessandro Diamanti (Bologna), Antonio Nocerino (Milan), Andrea Poli (Sampdoria), Ezequiel Schelotto (Atalanta), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);
Attaccanti: Mario Balotelli (Manchester City), Mattia Destro (Roma), Stephan El Sharawy (Milan), Manolo Gabbiadini (Atalanta)
acm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 21:07   #264
SpartanMilan
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, De Rossi, Schweinsteiger, Pippo, Forlan, Alex Morgan <3, Pato

for the most part I like the callups of some of the more promising younger players to see what they have to offer

One thing I really dont like is that Gastaldello got called up and Bocchetti didnt. Bocchetti was called to the provisional squad for Euros and is a very good defender, I would have liked to see him integrated into the group

Signature
Old 13-08-2012, 01:36   #265
Albertini
AC Milan Icon

its only just hit me that this game is only a few days away now. Im getting quite excited about the whole thing and will be interested to see if he starts all of the young kids from the beggining.
Albertini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 03:17   #266
Jivara
Forza Milan

Doesn't make sense to me for an international friendly to start a few days before the season kick off
Jivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 03:36   #267
Lionheart
Banned

Where the fuck is ?
Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 17:12   #268
acm55
Rossonero

Friendly (Under 21)
Holland-Italy 0-3 (44')
Old 15-08-2012, 17:16   #269
Senatore_M84
'The King of RnB'

Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☆Lionheart☆ View Post
Where the fuck is ?

pimpin dem hoes

Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 07:58   #270
acm55
Rossonero

Prandelli: 'Good indications'
By Football Italia staff

Cesare Prandelli insisted there were “good indications” from Italy’s friendly defeat to England after giving six players their debuts.

The squad had an average age of under 25 and 12 of the players called up were uncapped for today’s 2-1 loss in Switzerland.

“Defeats are still defeats, even if they are friendlies, but they are useful because we are planning the World Cup qualifiers and I got some good indications today,” said the Coach.

This was the Azzurri’s fourth consecutive friendly defeat and came six weeks after beating England in the Euro 2012 quarter-final.

Mattia Destro was particularly impressive in attack, creating several scoring opportunities.

“Mattia did very well and I am happy, especially as it was a very special game for the strikers against a physically strong defence.

“We showed character and must continue along this path. I liked the performance,” continued Prandelli on RAI Sport.

“We have to understand which young players have the right qualities, as we have to look to the future.

“Obviously those who played at Euro 2012 will have the chance to continue, but we must also consider the future of the Nazionale.”

Naturally, Prandelli was also asked about the Italian Super Cup controversy after Napoli boycotted the presentation of the trophy to Juventus.

“Sport must unite and give emotions. We must accept whatever verdict the pitch provides with dignity and a smile.”
Old 16-08-2012, 12:04   #271
Jivara
Forza Milan

My take:

- Astori is a good CB, Ogbonna is not. Astori covered for Ogbonna's bad positioning sense and laziness with some last ditch tackles but Astori does go to the ground way to frequently, however he does block many shots and is good using both feet. Ogbonna is just way too over rated, he didnt do anything again.

- Peluso looked good going forward but generally he had a very tense game, and almost scored two own goals during the same play.

- De Rossi is boss.

- Aquilani looks depressed, which does not surprise me after the way we treated him.

- Diamanti is a very good player, I would love to see us try to buy him, he would be great with a poacher attacker because he delivers so many good balls into the 'danger zone'.

- Destro is a strong player but he is still raw, I hope under Zeman he will improve and lead the Italy line, he seems different to any previous Italian striker, he is more modern good in the penalty box but is able to join the play in the build up too.
Old 16-08-2012, 21:26   #272
SpartanMilan
AC Milan Icon

I'm interested to see what Immobile has to offer going forward too. Italy has a strong group of young forwards in Balotelli, Borini, Destro, Immobile, Insigne, and El Shaarawy. As strong a group of U-23 forwards as pretty much any country

Signature
Old 17-08-2012, 03:03   #273
Jivara
Forza Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanMilan View Post
I'm interested to see what Immobile has to offer going forward too. Italy has a strong group of young forwards in Balotelli, Borini, Destro, Immobile, Insigne, and El Shaarawy. As strong a group of U-23 forwards as pretty much any country
What's nice is that each player is different from the other..

for example, Balotelli is all about power and technique

Destro looks like an opportunist

Borini is a hard worker and a runner, he is also very persistent.

Sharawy has flair to his game, a good dribbler and can take hits.

I haven't seen Insigne or Immobile yet but I hope one of them can thread nice passes.
Old 02-09-2012, 23:06   #274
SpartanMilan
AC Milan Icon

Prandelli called up 25 for the 2 qualifiers-
Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain), Viviano (Fiorentina);

Difensori: Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Roma), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Cassani (Fiorentina), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino);

Centrocampisti: De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria), Verratti (Paris St. Germain);

Attaccanti: Borini (Liverpool), Destro (Roma), Giovinco (Juventus), Insigne (Napoli), Osvaldo (Roma), Pazzini (Milan).

Signature
Old 03-09-2012, 05:16   #275
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

golden age as long as xavi is alive they aint gonna win anything without cheating
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:55   #276
SpartanMilan
AC Milan Icon

did Balotelli have some outburst or anything lately? I'm curious why he wasnt called up

Signature
Old 04-09-2012, 17:03   #277
astorino
Senior Team Member

Quote:
did Balotelli have some outburst or anything lately? I'm curious why he wasnt called up
just had eye surgery
astorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:10   #278
Tidalwave
Shredder

Fav. Players: Kaka' #22, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Sheva, Ibra, Balotelli, De Rossi, Montolivo.

Quote:
Prandelli called up 25 for the 2 qualifiers-
Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain), Viviano (Fiorentina);

Difensori: Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Roma), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Cassani (Fiorentina), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino);

Centrocampisti: De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria), Verratti (Paris St. Germain);

Attaccanti: Borini (Liverpool), Destro (Roma), Giovinco (Juventus), Insigne (Napoli), Osvaldo (Roma), Pazzini (Milan).
Astori is injured, Prandelli replace him with Acerbi.
Tidalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19   #279
dhorasoo
data haiku

Fav. Players: pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini

Again Giaccherini, seriously? I thought this bullsh!t had ended after the Croatia game.

Come on Cesare, stop this Juve bias for God's sake!

Signature
dhorasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22   #280
necromancer
Defence of Champions

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Seems likely he'll try 3-5-2 in match 1. In match 2, I'd like to see this -

-----------------Viviano----------

-Maggio---Acerbi--Bonucci---Balzaretti

---------DDR---Verratti--Marchisio/Poli---

------Diamanti------------Insigne----
------------------Destro

Lot of these young guys may have to be first choices for the World Cup. Particularly Insigne, Acerbi, Bonucci and Viviano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorasoo View Post
Again Giaccherini, seriously? I thought this bullsh!t had ended after the Croatia game.

Come on Cesare, stop this Juve bias for God's sake!
If he wants to experiment with 3-5-2, who else would you play as left wingback at the moment? Balzaretti is injured and probably wont play the first match.

Last edited by necromancer; 05-09-2012 at 07:28.
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote