Alessandro Nesta Thread

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Nesta should be starting against the bigger teams this season, only against small teams or Coppa to limit his energy. Plus, now he'll be 36 next month and it'd be better for him to always be ready to play instead of getting injured alot.

Aye, he looked out of his depth against Barcelona.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
fantastic in the first leg, bad in the 2nd leg.

That's not how I remember it.

Anyway, Nesta looks more comfortable in big games than in "small" ones. His problem these days is defending space, and there's less space in big games.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Why, because he was closest to the guy who scored? You couldn't expect Nesta to react to the deflection off Silva any more than you could expect Silva to react to Rocchi's dummy.

The problem with Lazio's first goal wasn't the centre backs; it was the midfield allowing the ball to be played into Rocchi's feet in the first place.

Milan have a midfield?

I've kind of defined milan's attacking tactics, when they can't score and are pushing as such

----------------Lazio Goal--------

----------Nocerino------------------------
Mesbah/Zlatan---El Shaarawy----Robinho
--------------------Ambrosini--------Abate
---
----
---
---
-----------------mf line-----------------------
-------------------MVB----------------------
------------Thiago-------Nesta

------------------Milan Goal

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
my issue with him this season is that he doesn't look fully fit, he looked much fitter last season.

I love him, but he shouldn't stay for more than 1 more season.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
my issue with him this season is that he doesn't look fully fit, he looked much fitter last season.

I love him, but he shouldn't stay for more than 1 more season.

I don't think he looks less fit.

I think our midfield looks clueless without gattuso defensively.

Only time I can think of nesta getting exposed to pace last year was v. tottenham on that counter.

Rino basically stopped counters by himself. We either need a new tactic in midfield (which would of course, require new 2 way players), or we need a new gattuso.

It's been the same story over and over again 1 v. 1, 2 v. 2 footraces with no support. No Cb in world stands up to those well.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
its not about pace, he just looks unfit at times.

Ramzee

Forza Milan per sempre!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
De Sciglio, Ambrosini, SeS, Montolivo.

Nesta is very professional about retiring. He has no intention to play till he is 40 y.o. and many times stated that his career is at the end, if only Milan needs him for one more season. Way much classier than the rest of our Senatores.

True that we should look for Nesta's replacement :cry:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

To me, it's all about midfield. Nesta can still play, but hell, you can stick anyone in his position, put pique or vidic... they'll get exposed on those counters.

Gattuso was replaced with nocerino.

Lets compare.

Gattuso played 2208 minutes last year- 119 tackles, 59 interceptions, akak 4.9 times and 2.4 per 90 mins,

Nocerino has played 1623 minutes and has a whopping 31 tackles, 18 interceptions... aka 1.7 tackles and 1.0 interceptions per 90

That a lone is a huge drop off on break up play.

MVB's also won slightly less challenges this year, but really it comes down to Gattuso being missed w/o a major tactical adjustment/not having right players to cover the D

--

So yes... the numbers show the obvious, our midfield sucks. I could go deeper w/ MVB's slight decline and other players but w/o putting a wall of text, just know... our midfield really is not winning anywhere near the amount of balls it used to, while offering no more creativity.

Last edited:

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree with SM84, the midfield is doing a poor job defensively and it forcing the defense into awkward positions. The 2nd lazio goal is a good example of that.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score

One of Nesta's main flaws this season is the tendency to (as he did for his booking last night) charge out of the defensive line in pursuit of a striker dropping deep. With every month and every injury, he's less and less likely to get in front of the striker, and more and more likely to get turned. But he has to do it because letting the striker go would leave him in acres of space.

With Gattuso in the team, that space doesn't exist. Just like the huge spaces that MvB gets caught in don't exist if Gattuso plays. I've said it before: forcing players to play in bigger spaces as they get older is not a great tactic.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
lol people still didn't get my point.

I wan't talking about his pace or how he is playing, I know since rino left the midfield has been a walk over for above decent sides.

I'm just saying he doesn't look fully fit, he holds every part of his body + he keeps on getting out muscled + falls easily.

he looks like he's struggling to play in every game, like he's forcing himself, doesn't look comfortable at all, which is worse than what it was in recent years.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
One of Nesta's main flaws this season is the tendency to (as he did for his booking last night) charge out of the defensive line in pursuit of a striker dropping deep. With every month and every injury, he's less and less likely to get in front of the striker, and more and more likely to get turned. But he has to do it because letting the striker go would leave him in acres of space.

With Gattuso in the team, that space doesn't exist. Just like the huge spaces that MvB gets caught in don't exist if Gattuso plays. I've said it before: forcing players to play in bigger spaces as they get older is not a great tactic.

Agreed. The problem becomes when milan can't get an early goal the lack of creativity shows. To compensate the midfield reallly pushes leaving more spaces

You can say allegri shouldn't do this but he'll get slaughtered if he stays organized in an 0-0 for 90 when other teams not pushing. Or like v barca, when milan needed to win.

That's a reason niangoolan would have been an exellent addition. However the better (and more costly) move would be a total revamp of midfield. Not relying on 1-2 guys to clean up or not relying 6 bodies forward to score cause of lack of creativity

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. The problem becomes when milan can't get an early goal the lack of creativity shows. To compensate the midfield reallly pushes leaving more spaces

You can say allegri shouldn't do this but he'll get slaughtered if he stays organized in an 0-0 for 90 when other teams not pushing. Or like v barca, when milan needed to win.

That's a reason niangoolan would have been an exellent addition. However the better (and more costly) move would be a total revamp of midfield. Not relying on 1-2 guys to clean up or not relying 6 bodies forward to score cause of lack of creativity

I know you don't like it, but this is why I'm so keen for Milan to sign a mobile DM and a Montolivo. 2 midfielders behind the ball at all times = better protection for the defence (especially if the DM can defend space), and more sustained attacking pressure (if the Montolivo guy has the brains to collect and efficiently recycle the ball).

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Gattuso was a supreme player way underrated in milan, by far the midfielder of last decade

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I know you don't like it, but this is why I'm so keen for Milan to sign a mobile DM and a Montolivo. 2 midfielders behind the ball at all times = better protection for the defence (especially if the DM can defend space), and more sustained attacking pressure (if the Montolivo guy has the brains to collect and efficiently recycle the ball).

Actually I'm not opposed to it at all. I just think if allegri wants to truly run his system we need different

I like idea of someone like montolivo and nianggolan tbh

GtrFlo

Playmaker
Reaction score
Gattuso was a supreme player way underrated in milan, by far the midfielder of last decade

+1

Attackers nightmare. You just can't get rid of the guy. You think he beat him, run 15 meters, and that goddamn bulldog Rino is all over you again. A true warrior!

I really miss the guy, both as a player and as a character!

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Basically, this already smells like bad news versus Arsenal. Milan pushing up loses the ball and Walcotts or Gervinho are on the counter.

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,

Grande Nesta!

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Basically, this already smells like bad news versus Arsenal. Milan pushing up loses the ball and Walcotts or Gervinho are on the counter.

Agreed. IF Aquilani and Boateng aren't back we r f'd.

Aquilani is our only player (beside Clarence rolling back the clock) capable of organizing our midfield and speeding up our transition).

Boateng is such a physical presence, and his passing has improved, he can push on w/o us having to commit 4 mids forward.

I know people like to think they aren't good enough. Maybe they aren't... but they make a huge difference in current side.

You don't se this massive compensation tactic when those 2 play.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
Mexes>Nesta atm anyway

Schedule