Dispelling a myth

NoPoliNoParty

Beginner
Reaction score
Now, excuse the random nature of this post, despite the fact it is entirely relevant given what is coming up tomorrow, but I have to clear something up which I believe from my experience to be incorrect.

All over the Internet I have seen the opinion (backed up by little fact I must add) that Inter has more fans in the City of Milan.

This being a prime example, and even Milanisti are (in my view) blinded by what they are fed: http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?t=13601

I decided to keep my eye out and see if I thought this was the case based on my weekend over here watching the Derby etc.

First thing I see from stepping off the Malpensa Express onto the Metro station is the Milan store in the centre (near Centrale FS). Perhaps not indicative, but I then got stopped by someone wanting a high five after seeing my Milan shirt.

Hop on the metro train, somebody gets on with a Milan tracksuit. Hop off the metro, guy in a Kaka shirt. The newsagents are selling mostly Milan merchandise, even more Juve than Inter stuff.

Then there are the club shops. I went to the Milan Megastore which is around a 5-10 minute walk from the Duomo. It was two floors of pure heaven, packed full of Milan fans wanting to get personalised goods. Plenty brandishing Cuore cards etc.

Found the Inter store, wanted to give it a scout, see how the shops stack up. This store is literally in view of the Cathedral, so far better location. It was absolutely dead. Maybe 10 people in, nobody in the queue, all seemingly just browsing.

A lot of people say that restaurant/cafe owners are Interisti. So far, in my hotel I know the barman is a Milan fan, whereas only one shop owner has proclaimed to be Inter upon seeing my gear. He was really nice though and wanted a game of football!

So, from my experience, on the derby weekend, it is apparent the city is red and black.

Reaction score
Firstly enjoy your trip, I have never been to Milan although i'd really love to go especially to the derby.

My understanding from what I've heard and read is that the city of Milan has more Inter fans and also that Italy has more Inter fans overall.

Milan is meant to have way more fans internationally though. I could be wrong but that was what I thought. Enjoy the derby.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
My understanding has always been this:
Milan and Inter has about the same amount of fans in Milano, with the upperclass being fans of Milan and the lower class of Inter.
Italy has more Merda fans though, while Internationally we're way above the other italian teams when it come to how big the fan bases are

G.Costanza

AKA Costanza
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pippo, Jack
One thing is for sure we were an elite club for like 20 years, Inter tried hard but I don't think they ever became that. we were at barca/madrid current level back then, they were at current juve level in thier best years. but local fans do not choose teams based on this type of stuff.

Worldwide we def. have at least 3 times more fans than inter

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
Milan and Inter has about the same amount of fans in Milano, with the upperclass being fans of Milan and the lower class of Inter.
Italy has more Merda fans though, while Internationally we're way above the other italian teams when it come to how big the fan bases are

I thought it was the opposite.

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
Why would anyone want to support Inter?

NoPoliNoParty

Beginner
Reaction score
Firstly enjoy your trip, I have never been to Milan although i'd really love to go especially to the derby.

My understanding from what I've heard and read is that the city of Milan has more Inter fans and also that Italy has more Inter fans overall.

Milan is meant to have way more fans internationally though. I could be wrong but that was what I thought. Enjoy the derby.

That is what is said by many, but my experience contradicts this

Last edited:

NoPoliNoParty

Beginner
Reaction score

Grazie! And I thought that historically it was the opposite. Milan was the team of the working class and Inter was the team of the Middle/upper class.

In recent times though this has changed and I don't think that it relates at all.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I've lived there for six months, and it really depends on where you hang around. All evidence put together, I think there are more Inter fans than Milan fans whom I've actually met, but it's hardly a big difference. Maybe 60-40.

Inter fans are certainly more from the more affluent sections. That's evident if you stay around for a while. For instance in my university which had a huge percentage of students from traditionally rich Milanese families, it was really difficult finding a Milanista. Interesti everywhere as their families have all traditionally supported Inter.

While if you walk down the navigli, you'll see more Milan colours in tiny cafes, your lower level bar owners and day job guys etc are likelier to be Milanisti from what I've noticed. Obviously stems from Milan's working class roots.

I've a colour theory on noPoli observations though. Red is a far more noticeable colour in a crowded city than Blue. Because a lot more background colours are closer to Blue.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
moral of the story is that we have more fans.

NoPoliNoParty

Beginner
Reaction score
I've lived there for six months, and it really depends on where you hang around. All evidence put together, I think there are more Inter fans than Milan fans whom I've actually met, but it's hardly a big difference. Maybe 60-40.

Inter fans are certainly more from the more affluent sections. That's evident if you stay around for a while. For instance in my university which had a huge percentage of students from traditionally rich Milanese families, it was really difficult finding a Milanista. Interesti everywhere as their families have all traditionally supported Inter.

While if you walk down the navigli, you'll see more Milan colours in tiny cafes, your lower level bar owners and day job guys etc are likelier to be Milanisti from what I've noticed. Obviously stems from Milan's working class roots.

I've a colour theory on noPoli observations though. Red is a far more noticeable colour in a crowded city than Blue. Because a lot more background colours are closer to Blue.

This is the interesting thing. You are more qualified to say than me, so I accept what you say.

I will continue my investigation ;)

Romagnely

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Sheva, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Cafu, Gattuso, Ibra, Bennacer, Tomori
Internazionale loses on international level from us. Very ironic.

Went multiple times to Italy. I met allot of Juventini, but also much more Interisti than Milansti, and I mostly visit Le Marche & Umbria.

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
everything between como & trentino is awesome

NoPoliNoParty

Beginner
Reaction score
Digging this up again, my observations from the derby:

Although it was the Inter home game, it was mixed along the side near me. Definitely 80-20 in Inter's favour at least, which isn't surprising. However, I would like to compare how this stacks up in the reverse derby, i.e. how many Inter go to the Milan 'home' game.