Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
just saw the event

Gotta give it to Covington, great performance and I don't really understand how Alec (and Curupira?) gave it too RDA. I thought it was a clear victory and RDA was shut down.

Whitaker broke his hand, otherwise he'd probably run over Romero - but ifs and buts don't count so I thought that should have been a draw which would make the 3rd fight something to look forward to. Hopefully Robert won't be gone for long.

I was rooting for CM Punk, but he really doesn't belong in the octagon :lol: looked absolutely amateurish.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Your judgement for that fight is so off, you might just be an actual ref :lol:

If that fifth round wasn't a 10:8 for Yoel, then no round is. Robert was on deaths door, the round was entirely about Yoel trying to finish Robert while Rob was in full survival mode. Props to him for not going to sleep but he was dominated in that round.

Didn't the majority of the media score the fight as a draw and/or win for Romero too?

And wow - he came in 0.2 lbs overweight, big deal. That didn't change the fight at all.

d739168b-a61f-4f84-af85-1ccd117fdbaf-png.392337

No the media didn't score it as a majority for Yoel.
Yes it is a big deal, because its not the first time he does it.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
just saw the event

Gotta give it to Covington, great performance and I don't really understand how Alec (and Curupira?) gave it too RDA. I thought it was a clear victory and RDA was shut down.

Whitaker broke his hand, otherwise he'd probably run over Romero - but ifs and buts don't count so I thought that should have been a draw which would make the 3rd fight something to look forward to. Hopefully Robert won't be gone for long.

I was rooting for CM Punk, but he really doesn't belong in the octagon :lol: looked absolutely amateurish.

I really wasn't impressed with his wall and stall. His standup was atrocious and I am frankly shocked RDA didn't take advantage of that. When he had control he didn't do much of it. Compare it with someone like Khabib when he gets control against a guy, how active he is.

You got Colby on the complete other end of the spectrum, gets his opponent against the wall and buries his head in his crotch. Obviously people put emphasis on different things but I didn't feel like Colby did much more that he inflicted a great deal of damage.

And yeah, CM - seems like a decent dude, is a shit fighter. He tried, can't blame him, just roll my eyes at Dana putting this on the main card.

No the media didn't score it as a majority for Yoel.
Yes it is a big deal, because its not the first time he does it.

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/9134/Robert-Whittaker-vs-Yoel-Romero

Oh, they didn't - huh? 15 for Romero; 8 Draw, 5 Whittaker - Totally, the media didn't score for Yoel :lol:

Mate, don't let your hate for the Soldier of God cloud your judgement.

He missed weight against Rockhold when he was a short notice replacement. He missed by 0.2 lbs now when the commission apparently only gave him 1 of 2 hours to cut the remaining weight. Not a big deal - it's not like he wasn't totally drained.

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
just saw the event

I was pretty partial as I am not a fan of people employing the pressure game without dishing out pain and uses ONLY control as a form of winning. But, after rewatching, I had it 3-2 Covington.

I thought Romero won 3, 4, 5.

Punk is not even amateur level fighter here :lol: I know part time guys that will absolutely ruin his life. Mike Jackson is locally known more as a photographer and MMA columnist than an actual fighter :lol:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Before talking about Romero "cheating" and quoting Sonnen, Cruz and other professional fighters, think about the case. Mackenzie Dern (topic of discussion when professional fighters made the "cheating" comment) was 7 lbs over and didn't even tried to cut. In that sense, she is still refreshed and a fuck ton over, and will still fight. Whereas here, Romero tried to make weight and was only 0.2 lb over and only got 1 hour (aka he made all the efforts that a fighter who failed weight still had to make to get as close as possible). Let's not pretend this is the same thing and categorize them both as such because that would be idiotic.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
This is not the first time he missed weight. And like I mentioned previously, its not the only form of cheating he employs.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So how did he cheat against Whittaker? The weight obviously is no big deal - he was drained and if it wasn't a title fight, it wouldn't even constitute missing weight. So what did he do that seemingly makes him a cheat?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So how did he cheat against Whittaker? The weight obviously is no big deal - he was drained and if it wasn't a title fight, it wouldn't even constitute missing weight. So what did he do that seemingly makes him a cheat?

He was drained because he cuts a shit tone of weight and almost looks like death when he does it.

It wasn't for a title fight, because he missed weight, otherwise it would have been. Last time when he missed weight, he said he didn't have time to prepare, this time he had all the time to prepare and still fucked up and looked like he was about to die from the cut.

He should fight in his weight class, at LHW where he belongs.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Okay, he would've made the weight if the commission gave him the full 2 hours, so I repeat my question - how did he cheat against Robert? There's no cheating. Romero won/drew fair and square but you can't acknowledge that because you're just a huge Romero hater, clear as day.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Okay, he would've made the weight if the commission gave him the full 2 hours, so I repeat my question - how did he cheat against Robert? There's no cheating. Romero won/drew fair and square but you can't acknowledge that because you're just a huge Romero hater, clear as day.

I'm a hater because i'm pointing out the times he cheated the rules not just in this fight? Okay budeeh.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm a hater because i'm pointing out the times he cheated the rules not just in this fight? Okay budeeh.

How about showing examples where he cheated? Missing weight isn't cheating and coming in 0.2 overweight doesn't make a difference.

You're a hater because you cannot admit Yoel won or drew fair and square, that's all I'm saying.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fence grabbing non stop against Jakare, stoolgate, water gate, 2x in a row misses weight.

Its not me hating, you're just gay for Gay Jesus.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fence grabbing non stop against Jakare, stoolgate, water gate, 2x in a row misses weight.

Its not me hating, you're just gay for Gay Jesus.

Fence grabbing - you mean the thing that happens all the damn time in the UFC? If it's too egregious, refs will take off points.

Stoolgate is not his fault, was explained several times now. It's funny people focus on that when the big cheating in that fight was all Kennedy :lol:

Oh wow - he poured water over himself? No athlete ever does that :-)lol:) - and he was promptly dried off? What a cheater!

Again, missing weight isn't cheating.

Nah, I just love watching great fighters and Yoel is easily one of the best we ever saw. Hate him all you want, he still loves you.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I really wasn't impressed with his wall and stall. His standup was atrocious and I am frankly shocked RDA didn't take advantage of that. When he had control he didn't do much of it. Compare it with someone like Khabib when he gets control against a guy, how active he is.

You got Colby on the complete other end of the spectrum, gets his opponent against the wall and buries his head in his crotch. Obviously people put emphasis on different things but I didn't feel like Colby did much more that he inflicted a great deal of damage.

And yeah, CM - seems like a decent dude, is a shit fighter. He tried, can't blame him, just roll my eyes at Dana putting this on the main card.
Exactly!

Covington had a great game plan and basically forced himself on RDA, who probably underestimated him. I'm not saying Covington is great, just that he wasn't close to loosing this fight.

I think Woodley will murder him. It's gonna be a fun one.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Az, you're doing it again. You get some strange idea in your head and run with it.

fence grabbing? srs? :lol:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Exactly!

Covington had a great game plan and basically forced himself on RDA, who probably underestimated him. I'm not saying Covington is great, just that he wasn't close to loosing this fight.

I think Woodley will murder him. It's gonna be a fun one.

I do think that Woodley will maul him, much more imposing fighter than RDA.

That being said, I am a bit worried because he has this tendency of backing up towards the fence.

Rooting hard for Woodley here to derail Covington. I am not offended by his antics, I am annoyed by how unoriginal and basic his trolling is, so I'd be happy to see him knocked down a peg.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
covington is at least decent at talking shit, tony ferguson however is the king of cringe.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Do you really feel that way? He seems out of sorts when he has to deviate from his rehearsed lines. Agree on Ferguson being cringy, but at least it's not an act, he really is that way :lol:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Covington has done good job with his trolling. But yeah, VERY unoriginal and seems so scripted.

I can't help it, I like Ferguson :lol:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you really feel that way? He seems out of sorts when he has to deviate from his rehearsed lines. Agree on Ferguson being cringy, but at least it's not an act, he really is that way :lol:

mcgregor is a gimmick as well, I'd rather someone that can actually rile up the crowd and opposing fighter rather than a damian maia for example.

fuck all that respect shit, you're 2 guys in your underwear fighting in a cage, talk all the shit pls.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
mcgregor is a gimmick as well, I'd rather someone that can actually rile up the crowd and opposing fighter rather than a damian maia for example.

fuck all that respect shit, you're 2 guys in your underwear fighting in a cage, talk all the shit pls.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a gimmick. To me it seems like Conor is simply an amped version of himself in front of cameras.

I LOVE his shit talk and antics(except for the dolly shit, that was over the line of course), because it comes off much more natural, quick witted and off the cuff. Just like the Diaz bros, they're not acting or don't appear to be acting.

Colby just doesn't come off authentic to me so this entire thing loses a bit of the effect to me. Can't compare Colby to McG, Diaz, Sonnen, Bisping or any other good trash talker tbh.

Just like MB said, can't help but like a guy like Tony. He's super cringy and talks mad shit about my favorite fighter, but that's him and I respect that. Probably helps that he's an amazing and unique fighter too.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

although i agree with your main point... demian maia is a bad example. the sport needs personalities like him as well.

but yeah, when the fighters high five after every exchange i get pissed.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
it's nice to have respectful fighters here and there but I'm getting tired of the "oh I don't talk shit" from fighters who say that because they can't cut a promo for shit.

yep, I hate the high 5s and hugging too, till and wonderboy was cringe.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Colby is horrible on the mic with his rehearsed shit, Bisping absolutely killed him on the after show when he was unprepared, fair play to him for trying though.

Sums up how bad the ufc is at this point though when Colby Covington's getting a push from his trash talk.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sums up my feelings up about Colby situation pretty well :thumbsup:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So far I’ve ignored most of Covington’s antics, but after watching some of it, it seems very forced. I would put him at Kevin Lee level in terms of trash talk cringe.

Bisping is a cheeky bastard and has been for years, you just knew he was going to get better of the exchange with that smirk on his face. Real reason Colby wore those shades is so his expression isn’t seen when Bisping owns him :lol:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Idk whether to go to ufc 226, would you pay $400 for two tickets? in the high tier too, albeit i've been before and they aren't terrible.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Idk whether to go to ufc 226, would you pay $400 for two tickets? in the high tier too, albeit i've been before and they aren't terrible.

Haven't been to a UFC event myself, but i imagine if you actually wanna see the fights, you would need to be seated much closer than that.

Its not like in football, where you can be seated in the upper rows and still see the game rather well.