Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Penn vs. Fitch was crap. Come to think of it, there's been a good few crap main events of late. I can't wait for Shogun vs. Jones.

Fitch must be the most boring (top) fighter in UFC. Seriously!

He's definitely good, but boring.

OneUnited

Reaction score
What was I saying? Sanchez vs. Kampmann was a war. White's enthusiasm says it all.

Before the official decision was announced in the classic slugfest between Diego Sanchez and Martin Kampmann at the KFC Yum! Center, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White raced over to reporters at cageside and declared it Fight of the Night.

And instead of giving them a $40,000 bonus, which he gave to the Knockout of the Night and the Submission of the Night winners, White was so enthused by their brawl that he boosted their bonus to $60,000.

Then, about a half-hour after Sanchez won a taut 29-28 decision, White threw in another $100,000 for each guy. That meant that each fighter got paid his purse – which was not available immediately on Thursday – as well as two performances bonuses totalling $160,000 apiece. In addition, Sanchez was paid a contractually obligated win bonus.

The crowd of 8,319 paid a gate of $471,450 to see the fight and a nearly giddy White, who could barely contain his glee, gave nearly all of it to Sanchez and Kampmann.

“I don’t forget fights like that,” White told Yahoo! Sports. “That was an unbelievable fight. That was the kind of fight you saw back in the 1980s in boxing, a classic war. Diego Sanchez is one of the toughest [expletives] I’ve ever seen, man. It was a dogfight. They both gave every ounce of what they had. Kampmann got a loss on his record, but he didn’t lose that fight. There are no losers when you’re in a fight like that.”

OneUnited

Reaction score
It would make sense now that Strikeforce has been bought out by Zuffa.

Never fear. Look to the next generation of greats. Jones is already establishing himself. Next stop, Rua.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
It would make sense now that Strikeforce has been bought out by Zuffa.

Never fear. Look to the next generation of greats. Jones is already establishing himself. Next stop, Rua.

What? Zuffa has bought Strikeforce? I don't know if I like where this monopoly thing is going.

They're going to integrate Strikeforce into UFC like they did with WEC?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Btw, I think Shogun is going to put a stop to Jones win streak.

I mean, Ryan Bader is the toughest fighter Jones has fought. Rua has met and won the best of the best and he's at his peak.

Leg kicks galore.

OneUnited

Reaction score
The deal is that Strikeforce will continue to operate as a separate organization, meaning all of its fighters will be able to see out their contracts with the company. After that, UFC will essentially acquire the majority of them. It's very unlikely they'll get Fedor.

It could well be too soon for Jones. Conversely, he's a raw talent who's full of surprises. He'll definitely become the light heavyweight champion. When that will be is another matter.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Strikeforce has great heavyweights. I'm thinking Verdum, Overeem, Silva, Kharitonov (? the guy that beat Arlovski in his last fight) Barnett etc etc. Can't say that I now much about the rest of their rooster tbh. Man, what a heavyweight division UFC is going to have if all those fight there. With all the fighters UFC is going to have, we're gonna see a UFC gala every week or something. AWESOME! Have you ever been to a gala when UFC have been in England?

Yeah, Jones will definitely become a light heavyweight champion one day. Personally, I'm waiting for my favourite fighter (except Fedor) Machida to make a comeback, the "Machida era" ended pretty quickly :tongue:

OneUnited

Reaction score
Yep, full of surprises. Goes and obliterates one of the greats of the sport within three rounds. That was pure domination. I can see him doing the same to Rashad. No doubt in my mind.

No, I've never been to a UFC event over here. Can't say I've been following it for so long.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Fuck me sideways and call me Judy!

That was pure domination of fucking Shogun :eek:

I have to admit that I never saw this coming. I knew the kid had talent, you could see that already in his first fights. But the way he fought this fight was just awesome, so composed, so mature, so "another day at the office".

I just saw the fight a couple of minutes ago, downloaded it. I'm in chock. Did Shogun even hit him once?

I know every time someone becomes champion the fans just goes "no one will manage to take the belt from him for a long time", and a couple of fights later we have a new champion. But who will take the belt from Jones?

Rashad - Never
Machida - Not the way he's fighting lately
Rampage - To slow, to one dimensional
Thiago Silva - Don't seem to be able to make to a title fight

IMO the only way Jones can be beat is if they bring up Andersson Silva or bring down Cain Velasquez. :D

Since Velasquez is champ in heavyweight, my guess is that GSP wins against Silva and forces him to compete in light heavyweight. Yeah, I know it's a long shot, but still :tongue:

OneUnited

Reaction score
Nobody currently stands out. Evans and Rampage would likely struggle to cope with Jones' size and reach advantage, not to mention how awkwardly unpredictable he is. Machida might be a more interesting proposition, but, even with a more cautious approach, Jones could well overawe him. Phil Davis is another name being mentioned. He just needs to prove himself against more established fighters before earning a title shot, and with those will come the experience he needs. Nogueira's a good place to start.

My guess is that Silva would move up no matter what. There's nothing else to prove if he beats GSP, so White won't tolerate him complimenting his winning streak by beating blatantly inferior opponents. They don't come much cleverer than Silva. I'd really like to see him at 205.

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
My guess is that Silva would move up no matter what. There's nothing else to prove if he beats GSP, so White won't tolerate him complimenting his winning streak by beating blatantly inferior opponents. They don't come much cleverer than Silva. I'd really like to see him at 205.

I saw the post match press conference and they asked Dana White about Silva. Dana said that Silva has made it clear that he doesn't want to move up to 205. But Dana also added that "maybe now that Jones is here he'll see it as an challenge".

Anyway, don't see it happening. First of all I think GSP will win against Silva and second Silva's career won't last long. He's getting old now.

OneUnited

Reaction score
The way I see it, White doesn't care about him moving up, not with the St-Pierre angle in the pipeline. Why antagonise Silva with politics when the stage has already been set for a superfight.

As for Jones, we'll see later tonight how close Davis is to being ready for him, if at all.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
As for Jones, we'll see later tonight how close Davis is to being ready for him, if at all.

hmm, I think Jones wouldn't have trouble beating him today. He showed nothing special in terms of skills tonight. But lil Nog is a great boxer though. And styles makes fights, who knows how Davis would do against Jones. I'm still hoping for Machida to get back to his best :D

Man, I hate wrestlers. Don't know why, but I always want them to lose every fight. Somehow they feel so cowardly when they take the fight to the ground. I know you have to fight to your strengths, but still.

And I'm disappointed in Hardy (one of my favs). He should have done a lot better.

OneUnited

Reaction score
Jones wouldn't have too many problems against him. He got tagged easily at times, it was only after he started wrestling that he asserted himself. He needs a lot more experience before he's ready for Jones.

I'm not a fan of wrestlers. They're proficient at takedowns, but it's terrible when their ground and pound is average and they lack BJJ, so you're left with them lying on top and doing the bare minimum. Whilst pissed off with Johnson for failing to stick to his pre-fight predictions about standing and exchanging, it's annoying that Hardy looked helpless to get back on his feet. Koscheck did the same to Daley last year.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Machida's back baby :star: (even though it was against Couture)

laters.gif

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Djokovic, Diego Armando Maradona
This is my favorite Fedor's highlights. I enjoyed his every fight except last two. He is living legend, I hope he retires as one.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Not much you can say, no, although he looked more ripped than usual and dispatched him without fuss. He deserves a rematch against Rampage.

Dana said no to that. But we'll see.

OneUnited

Reaction score
How did you rate the event overall? I thought it lived up to the hype, albeit slightly let down by a lacklustre main event. Aldo and Hominick in particular is a fight that I can see myself watching again and again.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
How did you rate the event overall? I thought it lived up to the hype, albeit slightly let down by a lacklustre main event. Aldo and Hominick in particular is a fight that I can see myself watching again and again.

You know what, me and my mate watched the event together and we where very disappointed. But after that I've read some forums and now you, everyone seems to have loved it. I don't get it. :lol: (Aldo and hominick was good though, but that's it). Maybe I was TO hyped for the event in general.

And GSP, man that guy is to worried about his "legacy"... he doesn't take ANY risks during a fight, it's becoming boring. He's more boring than Fitch ffs. Don't get me wrong, he's super talented, but c'mon...

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Btw, props to Steven Seagal for two of the best knock out's we've seen in a long time. Never thought I'd write that sentence :lol:

OneUnited

Reaction score
The event wasn't anything special. I might have benefited from falling asleep and downloading only the main card the next day.

You're correct about GSP. He's suffering from the same mentality that Floyd is with his boxing career. Unbeaten runs have stunted any previous willingness to take risks. Whilst they'll go down as being supreme talents in their respective sports, other fighters with no qualms about putting it on the line will be as revered.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Silva has to go up against Okami in Rio before there's a GSP-Silva fight :( So unnecessary...

OneUnited

Reaction score
I don't see how the timing will work out. Silva's fight isn't until late August, and he'll likely need another two months at least before his next bout. Are we to assume that St Pierre will wait until November/December. Okami's last fight was last year, and Silva barely broke into a sweat against Belfort. Just bring the fight forward.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I think one (or all of them) of Silva, Dana and GSP are avoiding this fight for some reason.

Re timing: Dana said in the press conference that Nick Diaz vs GSP would be an interesting fight when someone asked if Diaz was going to fight in UFC. Maybe they'll have a fight before GSP-Silva happens.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Jackson originally was slated to face Thiago Silva at UFC 130. But one of Silva's urine samples from his Jan. 1 fight in Las Vegas with Brandon Vera tested positive for a banned substance, and the Nevada Athletic Commission is still waiting for test results for the second sample.

That's why Rampage is fighting Hamill... I thought the fight didn't make sense at first, Hamill doesn't do well against top opposition.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
No Edgar vs Maynard... both out with injuries. (but rumours has it that Maynard faked injury so that he doesn't have to fight Pettis).

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
It's a shame we don't have more UFC/MMA fans on this forum. Is it really just me and OneUnited?