Giacomo Bonaventura Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i would give all our starting 11 one more season to prove themselves.but bona and suso needs to know their place in starting lineup is not secure.

Bona should know his place in the squad is not secure, let alone the starting lineup. It's not like he is an off form or complacent world class player. He wasn't top team starting material to begin with.

Quality additions to the midfield and attack are a must. Sure, the current starters can stay, but if Bona retains his spot then you know the new signings must have flopped HARD.

This though...

Max Allegri has asked Juventus to buy Giacomo Bonaventura for next season and Milan quoted a €25m price, according to Mediaset Premium.
https://www.football-italia.net/120768/allegri-asks-bonaventura

EuroMax plesss

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
great player, wish this is a start when he can regain his previous form, keep it up.

I think this is some kind of a season of transition of him. He is becoming a more natural CM, he plays more low key now and less like a winger which gets him some criticism (but I heard experts praising him for that too). I can see him hitting his prime as a CM next season.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think this is some kind of a season of transition of him. He is becoming a more natural CM, he plays more low key now and less like a winger which gets him some criticism (but I heard experts praising him for that too). I can see him hitting his prime as a CM next season.

He also played mainly in the midfield last season.

He has toned down on the wannabe-Taarabt moves and doesn't look as out of place as Hakan did in midfield, but he simply doesn't have the passing or athletic ability to be anything more than upper midtable quality. I don't see much room for improvement.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He also played mainly in the midfield last season.

He has toned down on the wannabe-Taarabt moves and doesn't look as out of place as Hakan did in midfield, but he simply doesn't have the passing or athletic ability to be anything more than upper midtable quality. I don't see much room for improvement.

he also get 2 early career ending injuries that he come back from this season and he is adapting to new position(no he didn't play mainly in the midfield last seasons he was more like a winger)

how easy plastic fans forget the good things he did for us in previous seasons and focus only on the bad.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
he also get 2 early career ending injuries that he come back from this season and he is adapting to new position(no he didn't play mainly in the midfield last seasons he was more like a winger)

Yes he played mainly as advanced LCM in a 4-3-3, same as now.
Niang was the LW. Then Deulofeu.

how easy plastic fans forget the good things he did for us in previous seasons and focus only on the bad.

This is a bit ironic considering you didn't even know what his main position was last season.

If there's one thing I've noticed about fans of overrated players on RnB then it's that they are often also the ones that are least knowledged about them. I'll never forget the De Jong fans who thought it was De Jong who anchored the team to the CL spot in 12/13 season.:lol:

Anyway, going back to Bona and his previous seasons; he was always inconsistent, too selfish, made mostly horrible attempts from distance, messed up the easy vertical passes. It wasn't all bad though. He had/has far more positional and tactical awareness than Hakan, Saponara and other attackers we've tried at midfield. His close control is sublime. His late runs are often fruitful.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Yes he played mainly as advanced LCM in a 4-3-3, same as now.
Niang was the LW. Then Deulofeu.

Montella started the season with him as LCM, but in December and January, he played Berto/Pasalic at LCMn Bona on the wing and Niang on the bench. Then he got injured and Deulofeu took his place (while Ocampos took Niang's place on the bench).

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montella started the season with him as LCM, but in December and January, he played Berto/Pasalic at LCMn Bona on the wing and Niang on the bench. Then he got injured and Deulofeu took his place (while Ocampos took Niang's place on the bench).

He played Bona as LCM until Niang and the team imploded in late Dec.
Then an awful but relatively short period followed, between Niang's self-destruction and Deu's arrival, where Montella had pretty much no choice but to start Bona as LW. Then Bona got injured(no, the team didn't fall apart after his injury as some liked to remember it) and Deu arrived.

Bona was the LCM in 2016/17 when the team had a resemblance of a team(Aug-Dec). Had almost twice as many games as LCM even if you include the chaotic Dec-Jan. Hence mainly at LCM.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
The correlation between him giving stellar performances and being in a pre contract signing mode is astonishing.
pretty sure he will leave this summer

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'm conflicted about him.. His talent is quite obvious, especially when he plays as the midfielder who rushes into the box. However, he has had an alarmingly number of poor matches this season.

The answer is probably straightforward. Invest in another player for his role, but don't sell him.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree, it cannot hurt if we just make him fight for his spot

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
The correlation between him giving stellar performances and being in a pre contract signing mode is astonishing.
pretty sure he will leave this summer

Yes pls... gettin rid of trash like him will only help us in the long run.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I'm conflicted about him.. His talent is quite obvious, especially when he plays as the midfielder who rushes into the box. However, he has had an alarmingly number of poor matches this season.

The answer is probably straightforward. Invest in another player for his role, but don't sell him.

This would be the perfect solution but unluckily with raiola as his agent its unlikely they would accept a bench-role. Anyways if we can get 30+ for him it wouldn’t be that bad either

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Great game with some exquisite passes.
Very positive trend, I really hope he stays. If we sell him it will hurt us.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
good game and nice combo with hakan. even the decision making was good today. had a really bad season but still managed to score some goals. don't sell him unless we already have a better replacement lined up. big no to baselli.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Very positive trend

Season's over....

He isn't exactly a 22 year old who's starting to show consistency.
This is him. A very inconsistent player who occasionally pulls off the difficult moves he attempts. Moments of brilliance and entire games of mediocrity or worse. Starting material for upper midtable sides, at best.

Don't mind him staying(if a great offer doesn't arrive), but if he's a starter next season then we can forget about progress.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Season's over....

This is him. A very inconsistent player who occasionally pulls off the difficult moves he attempts. Moments of brilliance and entire games of mediocrity or worse. Starting material for upper midtable sides, at best.

Don't mind him staying(if a great offer doesn't arrive), but if he's a starter next season then we can forget about progress.

Milan is the definition of an upper mid table side

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Season's over....

you are still living in 2007 i presume.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan is the definition of an upper mid table side

Yah....that's like the point.
Bona defines the upper midtable Milan of the last years better than any other player.

The ambitions of F&M is to create a top team, although it might not be apparent.

you are still living in 2007 i presume.

Based on what?
Me not rating Bona as a world class player?

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Yah....that's like the point.
Bona defines the upper midtable Milan of the last years better than any other player.

The ambitions of F&M is to create a top team, although it might not be apparent.

Exactly. Bona is as average as the days is along and 5 good games in a season of 38 simply is not good enough.

If Juve want him for 30 million then brilliant. If Bona continues to be a starter Milan will never get back to challenging for the Scudetto.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Based on what?
Me not rating Bona as a world class player?

the fact that you are acting as we still have 4 world class midfield and bona is the mediocre midfield in the mix, in case you didn't noticed bona still our best midfielders when in form.

so i suggest you visit other players forms before you make a home of criticizing him here.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the fact that you are acting as we still have 4 world class midfield and bona is the mediocre midfield in the mix, in case you didn't noticed bona still our best midfielders when in form.

so i suggest you visit other players forms before you make a home of criticizing him here.

Ok, let's see.

Starting with the anchor/CDM; Biglia. He's by no means great, but great anchors are extremely rare. He's done an alright job as distributor and "balance player". The midfield would improve with a better ball-winner and playmaker than him but you can form a strong midfield-3 with an okay anchor like Biglia.

Kessie. His passing, finishing and on-ball decision-making have been very frustrating to watch at times. But he's the only midfielder we have who's athletically up to standards. The only workhorse mezz'ala. And he has more time and room for improvement than Bona. We do need alternatives though. His spot on the team shouldn't be given either.

Then there's Bona. As the advanced mid we're sacrificing the defensive solidity of a proper midfielder for the technical abilities of an attacker. With this in mind, Bona's late runs are fruitful and he's a very good dribbler, but he doesn't have the passing skills or pace or team player mentality to make more out of it and he doesn't cover as much ground as you'd expect from someone in his role(because he wastes his energy on dribbling which rarely gets us anywhere).
Has he been starting undeservedly at LCM? No. He earned it by showing more awareness and positional sense than Hakan, who struggled to make any impact at all when he was fielded there earlier in the season(he turned around his season when Rino moved him up to the attack). But we can do a lot better than Bona. It shouldn't be too hard to find advanced or B2B mids who are better than him.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His passing is underrated, it is still inconsistent but he gets better and better while further adapting to CM. There are very few players in the squad who can match his best passes.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, let's see.

Starting with the anchor/CDM; Biglia. He's by no means great, but great anchors are extremely rare. He's done an alright job as distributor and "balance player". The midfield would improve with a better ball-winner and playmaker than him but you can form a strong midfield-3 with an okay anchor like Biglia.

Kessie. His passing, finishing and on-ball decision-making have been very frustrating to watch at times. But he's the only midfielder we have who's athletically up to standards. The only workhorse mezz'ala. And he has more time and room for improvement than Bona. We do need alternatives though. His spot on the team shouldn't be given either.

Then there's Bona. As the advanced mid we're sacrificing the defensive solidity of a proper midfielder for the technical abilities of an attacker. With this in mind, Bona's late runs are fruitful and he's a very good dribbler, but he doesn't have the passing skills or pace or team player mentality to make more out of it and he doesn't cover as much ground as you'd expect from someone in his role(because he wastes his energy on dribbling which rarely gets us anywhere).
Has he been starting undeservedly at LCM? No. He earned it by showing more awareness and positional sense than Hakan, who struggled to make any impact at all when he was fielded there earlier in the season(he turned around his season when Rino moved him up to the attack). But we can do a lot better than Bona. It shouldn't be too hard to find advanced or B2B mids who are better than him.

well you talk out of subjective opinion i talk numbers in serie a.

Bona has 8 goals and 3 assists while hakan who is playing in more advanced position has 2 and 4 and kessie playing similar position has 5 and 3(Bona wins)

Bona success passing percentage is 88.1, Hakan is 84.1 and kessie 84.6(Bona wins)

Bona average rating is 7.07, Hakan 7.1 and kessie 6.8( hakan wins with very small margin)

so it is not that we have world class midfield, so i would consider get off his ass till we do and see other position which needs to be filled.

i believe Bona best position is in the LW, as he is much better in the offensive more than the defensive and can dribble and score. Hakan can play in the LCM as he cover more ground and he can't dribble, i believe the 2 players didn't perform because they are not playing in the position that can fulfill their potential.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His passing is underrated, it is still inconsistent but he gets better and better while further adapting to CM. There are very few players in the squad who can match his best passes.

He's good at lateral passing, but tends to keep the ball far too long or mess up the pass when there's a great opportunity to attack. That's just not acceptable from your best advanced mid.

There are the occasional great passes, but that goes for Kessie as well.

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Bona has 8 goals and 3 assists while hakan who is playing in more advanced position has 2 and 4 and kessie playing similar position has 5 and 3(Bona wins)

Bona success passing percentage is 88.1, Hakan is 84.1 and kessie 84.6(Bona wins)

Bona average rating is 7.07, Hakan 7.1 and kessie 6.8( hakan wins with very small margin)

so it is not that we have world class midfield, so i would consider get off his ass till we do and see other position which needs to be filled.

i believe Bona best position is in the LW, as he is much better in the offensive more than the defensive and can dribble and score. Hakan can play in the LCM as he cover more ground and he can't dribble, i believe the 2 players didn't perform because they are not playing in the position that can fulfill their potential.

Stats are deceiving. Most people watched the games, so don't read us those stats like they mean anything to us. Kessie played the most games so his ratings are going to be lower, makes sense. If you asked anyone who had a better season between Kessie and Bona, they would say Kessie, nullifying those stats.

He had a bad season its fine to admit that.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:lol::lol:

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Stats are deceiving. Most people watched the games, so don't read us those stats like they mean anything to us. Kessie played the most games so his ratings are going to be lower, makes sense. If you asked anyone who had a better season between Kessie and Bona, they would say Kessie, nullifying those stats.

He had a bad season its fine to admit that.

again subjective opinion, why kessie is better? he caused so many goals against us, and fked up most of our attacks knowing he only got 3 assists in 37 games, for me he is a tank with no brain. not to mention Bona played after injury so he has excuse why were under performing at a times, what is kessie excuse ?

oh and i don't care if it means something for u, you see what you like to see and that goes for me.

i would run too if i were you :lol:

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
again subjective opinion, why kessie is better? he caused so many goals against us, and fked up most of our attacks knowing he only got 3 assists in 37 games, for me he is a tank with no brain. not to mention Bona played after injury so he has excuse why were under performing at a times, what is kessie excuse ?

oh and i don't care if it means something for u, you see what you like to see and that goes for me.

Cutrone's rating is 6.60. Enough said about those stats. Never look at midfielders stats, watch the game. Kessie does everything on the field. Kessie is a very smart player, don't know where you got the idea he has no brains. Playing 50 games you bound to make mistakes. His 21 btw, I think people forget by how good he already is, and most fans consider him player of the season, his play will improve.

Bona just had a poor season. IMO. He is much better than what he showed us. If we can replace him we should.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Official: Giacomo Bonaventura Thread

“When in form” he hasn’t been in form since the first half season of 2016/17 season. This season both kessie and biglia have been better than him, not even debatable if you have watched the milan matches.