The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Transfers

AC Milan Transfers Everything related to AC Milan's transfer market goes in here. AC Milan rumours, dream signings and more.

View Poll Results: Who should lead Milan's attack in 17/18 ?
Aubameyang 88 39.82%
Diego Costa (year-long loan/buy) 31 14.03%
Belotti 56 25.34%
Kalinic 14 6.33%
Cristiano Ronaldo (CL pre-agreement) 23 10.41%
Other 9 4.07%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 20:52   #25521
Forza AC Milan
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossonero1 View Post
I've accepted that top 4 is probably not going to happen especially how the rest of the competition have gotten so much better compared to season's past. Only shot we have is if we have some miraculous turn around like we did the last time we finished in a champions league spot under Allegri and beat out Fiorentina on the last match day. Problem is we suck in away matches no matter who we play, top of the table, midtable, bottom of the table, who cares, we struggle. Fortunately we have the Europa League. Maybe with a little luck on our side and hopefully no tough teams from the UCL drop down, we could get in like Man Utd did. Maybe try to make a run at the Coppa Italia and try to win a trophy.

3-5-2 is not working out no matter how much time we give it. Plus we need to play with 2 forwards up top and not Suso as a SS. He looks awful up top. Maybe a 4-4-2 is the way to go. Romagnoli hasn't taken the steps forward I would hope he would and I have no clue why they insist on playing out at from the back. Donnarumma is atrocious with the ball at his feet.

Silva/Kalinic-Cutrone
Jack-Biglia-Kessie-Suso
RR-Bonucci-Musacchio-Abate

Hakan and Borini could always spell Jack and Suso out wide.
Totally agree with this. Time to try 4-4-2
Forza AC Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:58   #25522
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I think you totally nailed the problem we have. The one consistent pattern I've noticed over the last few games is that almost every player on a pitch will, at least once in the game, show clear signs that he has no idea what to do. All of the players. I think this is down to a lack of philosophy as opposed to the way Pep and Sarri have their teams playing.

Montella was attractive during his Fiorentina days because you could see that his team had an attractive philosophy about their game. Now he's different.

He started the season trying to incorporate the players at his disposal into a system that he's been using for a while with us, and one that he likes. (This is where the management critics come in and say that the team wasn't built for it -- I don't disagree entirely, just think that they did the best they could).
It worked during preseason but then we got to the serious games against better teams and it became clear that it won't work with our players, so he went with a new system and the team is now basically going through the experimentations that a team usually goes through during preseason (this is where the Montella critics come in and say that he should've at least had the vision to do this experimentations earlier).

Montella is coaching a team that's starting a new cycle with a new management and 11 new players. There isn't a user's manual for something like this. He's human and he's made mistakes. I wish he didn't and I think some of them could have be avoidable, but keeping him on the bench will be better than going back to the drawing board with a new coach. I can't handle more preseason-like experiences during the season.
We showed some moments of class during the derby, although incomplete and lacking in several way. I don't know, maybe with a little bit of luck and time Montella would get that philosophy that we want.
Montella faced the same situation during his first season at Fiorentina (10 new players) and still finished 4th. Also, Mancini had 9 new starters in his second stint at Inter but also finished 4th. Same goes for Gasperini at Atalanta last year.

Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnee View Post
I love Sod's-Load
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:03   #25523
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
The give it time to gel excuse I think is running thin or already has. Didn't they get all their transfer business done in July? We are sitting 2 weeks out of November and Montella is still trying to figure things out. Give someone else these players at their disposal and let's see if anything changes. Nothing less than 3 points against Genoa on Sunday should be the final straw.
I genuinely feel sorry for F+M. In theory, most of their decisions made perfect sense. We finished 6th last season with a mediocre squad so give the same coach a 230m squad and we should easily finish 2 places higher. Also, sign the bulk of the squad in summer so the coach has enough time to make his new team gel.

Despite all this, Montella's proven to be a limited coach so now they need to pull the trigger. I personally believe top 4's already gone but if they delay firing him any longer it will definitely be gone.

1bn takeover
230m transfers
4 out of 8 league games lost
100% loss record against direct rivals (Inter, Roma + Lazio)
Pathetic

Signature
Quote:
I love Sod's-Load
Old Yesterday, 21:09   #25524
Batman
Primavera Player

Fav. Players: Nesta, Kaka, Maldini, Inzaghi, T. Silva, Romagnoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Montella faced the same situation during his first season at Fiorentina (10 new players) and still finished 4th. Also, Mancini had 9 new starters in his second stint at Inter but also finished 4th. Same goes for Gasperini at Atalanta last year.
.are you seriously telling me this is the same shit????
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:17   #25525
Batman
Primavera Player

Fav. Players: Nesta, Kaka, Maldini, Inzaghi, T. Silva, Romagnoli

Quote:
I genuinely feel sorry for F+M. In theory, most of their decisions made perfect sense. We finished 6th last season with a mediocre squad so give the same coach a 230m squad and we should easily finish 2 places higher. Also, sign the bulk of the squad in summer so the coach has enough time to make his new team gel.

Despite all this, Montella's proven to be a limited coach so now they need to pull the trigger. I personally believe top 4's already gone but if they delay firing him any longer it will definitely be gone.

1bn takeover
230m transfers
Pathetic
Ok, let's fire him, appointment you as coach and then have fassone and mirabelli camp in front of Conte's house and spend every day of the next 7-8 trying to beg him to come join us next summer
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:18   #25526
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
.are you seriously telling me this is the same shit????
No just kidding

Of course its the same shit. We spent 230m on 11 new players. Montella and the other coaches I mentioned had 10 new players and still got a top 4 finish.

Signature
Quote:
I love Sod's-Load
Old Yesterday, 21:19   #25527
leaf
#MontellaOut

Fav. Players: Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Bonaventura

We have two choices to turn the team around:
1) Complete the squad...i.e. we need a proper LW, and Aubameyang (honestly Aubameyang or Belotti should have been our priority....I feel like Montella feels almost obliged to play him
2)New coach

Option #2 doesn't guarantee that the new coach wouldn't ask for the players at #1 so if management is stubborn with sticking to Bontella, then we need the LW and cf.

In which case, we'd be set for a genuine 442...

------Silva----ST-------
LW--Biglia---Kessie--Suso
RR---Musa---Roma---Borinho/Conti (possibly even Zapata?)

only that the fullbacks would be helping out more in the defense and eventually we can fly again when Conti comes back.

Signature
There's only 1 Ronaldo
leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:19   #25528
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
Ok, let's fire him, appointment you as coach and then have fassone and mirabelli camp in front of Conte's house and spend every day of the next 7-8 trying to beg him to come join us next summer
Great idea. Make it happen Bruce

Signature
Quote:
I love Sod's-Load
Old Yesterday, 21:21   #25529
forward
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Montolivo

Quote:

1bn takeover
230m transfers
Pathetic
The real problem is that other teams didn't wait for us to take their CL spot and improved significantly.

Napoli are undefeated.
Inter drew once.
Lazio, Juve, Roma lost only once.

All of these teams are doing much better than last season after 8 weeks. Except for Juve maybe.

Last season this Milan would finish top 4 but this season will have to fight for it.

Signature
forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:23   #25530
rossonero1
AC Milan Icon

Quote:

1bn takeover
230m transfers
Pathetic
It's still early and this could be be turned around, but the longer they wait then there will be no hope for this season. Sunday needs to be do or die. And then get a string of positive results going. Inter did it with Pioli last season, even Juve got off to an awful start under Allegri and ended up winning the league by double digits. Not saying we need to win the league, but we can definitely get this right to fight for 4th. Hell we even did it under Allegri when we beat out Montella's Fiorentina for 4th.

With all the money that was spent and all the supposed quality we brought in, sadly Borini has given the most consistent of performances and that's playing out of position as a wingback.

Last edited by rossonero1; Yesterday at 21:32.
rossonero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:32   #25531
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward View Post
The real problem is that other teams didn't wait for us to take their CL spot and improved significantly.

Napoli are undefeated.
Inter drew once.
Lazio, Juve, Roma lost only once.

All of these teams are doing much better than last season after 8 weeks. Except for Juve maybe.

Last season this Milan would finish top 4 but this season will have to fight for it.
True but what do all of those teams have in common that we don't? They didn't spend hundreds of millions on the mercato but instead retained/hired a great coach. Allegri, Spalletti, Sarri, Inzaghi etc.

All of these teams look organized and play with a clear identity and besides Juve none have a significantly better squad than ours. Our team still looks clueless (as shown in the first half yesterday).

Signature
Quote:
I love Sod's-Load
Old Yesterday, 21:34   #25532
ChinaMilan
Primavera Player

if we are going to play like shit against Genoa or Chievo montella should be fired even if we win both, we should win and convincely doing so to get some confidence.
ChinaMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:46   #25533
Kojak
CAPO DEI CAPI

Quote:
It's still early and this could be be turned around, but the longer they wait then there will be no hope for this season. Sunday needs to be do or die. And then get a string of positive results going. Inter did it with Pioli last season, even Juve got off to an awful start under Allegri and ended up winning the league by double digits. Not saying we need to win the league, but we can definitely get this right to fight for 4th. Hell we even did it under Allegri when we beat out Montella's Fiorentina for 4th.

With all the money that was spent and all the supposed quality we brought in, sadly Borini has given the most consistent of performances and that's playing out of position as a wingback.
Fair point but I just don't think the players respect or believe in Montella anymore. Nearly a quarter of the season is gone and we still look clueless and play without a clear identity. If you look at Manager's like Sarri, Spalletti, Inzaghi etc you can see their players respect them and are willing to put a good shift in.

The other worrying thing is Montella's proving to be a tactical novice. We have the players for 3-5-2 but he still can't make it work. Also, he got schooled tactically by Inzaghi, Di Francesco and even Giampaolo.

Although I agree we could significantly improve, I just don't believe the other teams will regress enough for us to overtake them. I think no.1 & 2 will clearly go to Napoli & Juventus. I think Inter are a shoe in for 3rd. Spalletti is a great coach and they're grinding out results. I think Suning will invest in the winter mercato to solidify their position. 4th is a toss up between us, Lazio & Roma. But after watching Lazio manhandle Juventus away without their best players (Nani & Anderson) I can't see them slipping up. Also, Roma are a dark horse and shouldn't be overlooked. They played a decent game against Napoli and were unlucky not to equalize. They're also missing a bunch of starters (Emerson, Strootman, Schick, SES, Defrel) so I expect them to pick up the pace.

Signature
Quote:
I love Sod's-Load
Old Yesterday, 22:07   #25534
Sorriso Sempre
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
The give it time to gel excuse I think is running thin or already has. Didn't they get all their transfer business done in July? We are sitting 2 weeks out of November and Montella is still trying to figure things out. Give someone else these players at their disposal and let's see if anything changes. Nothing less than 3 points against Genoa on Sunday should be the final straw.
man city took them 1 year to gel

you dont know how much it will take.
this squad in one year from now with 1-2 good transfers(and not selling any key player) and would be top2 material.

that being said montella has a good share of blame for the situation
only excuses are that we lack a proper lw and wingers(only suso is proper winger in this team) and that to fit bonucci we fucked up whatever we had build last year(yes montella insisted so much to bring him here...but who wouldnt).if we had kept last year's formation and just brought same players we brougth this summer we would be at least 5 points ahead of now... now though our players are confused between 3-4-3, 3-5-2 and they slightly remember 4-3-3

Signature
Sorriso Sempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:26   #25535
Massaro94
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Weah Gullit Rijkaard Boban Savicevic Baresi Kaka Shevchenko Suarez Tevez

Quote:
Also, Mancini had 9 new starters in his second stint at Inter but also finished 4th
Was that the season midtablovic spanked him 3-0 in the derbi

Signature
Massaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:33   #25536
Massaro94
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Weah Gullit Rijkaard Boban Savicevic Baresi Kaka Shevchenko Suarez Tevez

Antonio Conte has warned that Chelsea will find it difficult to defend the title after their shock defeat by Crystal Palace and questioned whether his squad is strong enough to compete on several fronts.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...-antonio-conte

Awww poor Antonio, finding it hard going now he has to more than one game a week

People want this guy at Milan

Signature
Old Today, 00:04   #25537
Master Smurf
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Talismano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massaro94 View Post
Antonio Conte has warned that Chelsea will find it difficult to defend the title after their shock defeat by Crystal Palace and questioned whether his squad is strong enough to compete on several fronts.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...-antonio-conte

Awww poor Antonio, finding it hard going now he has to more than one game a week

People want this guy at Milan
He gets results - its not even about wanting him. I question people who speak like its realistic. I need to see us in top 4 first and see our next two transfer windows before I can even entertain Conte

The man cries like a little girl as soon as he doesnt think he has the players.... but he gets results
Master Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:25   #25538
Massaro94
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Smurf View Post
He gets results - its not even about wanting him. I question people who speak like its realistic. I need to see us in top 4 first and see our next two transfer windows before I can even entertain Conte

The man cries like a little girl as soon as he doesnt think he has the players.... but he gets results
By that time we should be looking to hire Sarri or Pep. Not entertaining Mr Grinta.

Signature
Old Today, 00:27   #25539
Colossus
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva

Conte is a great transition coach to add battle and spirit to a team. But he can't take teams to the next level IMO as his football ideas are too rigid and eventually predictable. But a couple years under Conte is sure to add value to almost any team
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:41   #25540
Moggster
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho

Spent 200m, 10th in the table next to Fiorentina who sold their whole starting XI this transferwindow.

Moggster is online now   Reply With Quote