The Cricket Thread

Who's the player of the decade?

• Total voters

Wolfpac4Life

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona
Congratulations to India's Sachin Tendulkar who today become the leading all-time run scorer in Test cricket, beating Brian Lara's previous record total of 11,953. The Little Master also became the first batsman to reach 12,000 Test runs before he was out for 88 against Australia.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
ok fucking hell :star: :star: :star:

my hero he was god today blasting everything on the way, what a player what a run machine what a human being
16k in odi and 12k in test :)

Wolfpac4Life

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona
Yep, not only one of the greatest cricketers ever but also one of the greatest sportsmen too. The way he has conducted himself both on and off the pitch over the years along with all his immense achievements deserves much praise as well. Nuthin but respect for the man.

BTW Ash whats it like over there right now, is everyone still celebrating or what? :D

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
man i am having whisky hitch :)
no news except sachin, i am damn sure tomorrow even if osama is found and murdered he wont get first page in any of newspapers

Legend goes on, 20 years of class cricket

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Congrats to Sachin Tendulkar dead set legend. Only quality person in the Indian team.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Paolo said:
Congrats to Sachin Tendulkar dead set legend. Only quality person in the Indian team.
oh yeah they are not quality persons liked whinning abusing aussie players

cheaters pick catches buried under . what a team no sportsman spirit a bunch of wild dogs headed by mr integrity

edit: harbhajan and sreesanth are pricks but anyday cant equal an aussie. mental integration my ass

Last edited:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Ashish said:
oh yeah they are not quality persons liked whinning abusing aussie players

cheaters pick catches buried under . what a team no sportsman spirit a bunch of wild dogs headed by mr integrity

edit: harbhajan and sreesanth are pricks but anyday cant equal an aussie. mental integration my ass
Typical toe rag. Last time I checked you were the ones shouting racist abusive comments to us and planning to boycott the rest of the tour... whingers much?

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
San Paolo said:
lol....you've got to put Dravid and Kumble in that league as well. 10,300 runs and 616 wickets cant be overlooked.

Oh, and if anyone brings it up,

Sachin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lara :o

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
lol....you've got to put Dravid and Kumble in that league as well. 10,300 runs and 616 wickets cant be overlooked.

Sachin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lara :o
I don't mind Dravid or Kumble, but pricks like Yuvraj Singh who just ignore you at the matches when you approach for autographs and shit like that. Sachin is a true profession everybody loves him in Australia and I'm happy he broke the record against us. Don't worry though Ponting will break it in the next couple of years! :tongue:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Paolo said:
Typical toe rag. Last time I checked you were the ones shouting racist abusive comments to us and planning to boycott the rest of the tour... whingers much?
we dont show integrity after abusing others mothers sisters and wives, so cancelling tour thing came and you guys pissedin your pants.

racists abuse? any evidence? mr fishing and haydos were setting harbhajan singh, if you abuse there mothers and wives you get somehing and aussies will run to umpire and say oh daddy indians just reurn what we were giving them. everybody in the world cricket has problms with aussies , it wasnt like they were champions so all have problems.

west indians were gr8 but they were quality champions unlikje aussies touch me not

gilly is a gr8 player i like him, he is quality if you dare to say other like haydos ponting , mcgrath, warne(i like him ), slatter clarke cheater as quality persons.... we are so different culturly.

sachin owns lara
though i like both of them

EDIT: and ponting breaking records :D when sachin commits himself he is going too far, you can watch selectors wont ever drop sachin, so atleast couple of years left him and difference between mr. dont ever question my integrity and sach is 2000 runs :)

Last edited:

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
India - England ODI in my city on 17th WOOHHOOOO

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
San Paolo said:
I don't mind Dravid or Kumble, but pricks like Yuvraj Singh who just ignore you at the matches when you approach for autographs and shit like that. Sachin is a true profession everybody loves him in Australia and I'm happy he broke the record against us. Don't worry though Ponting will break it in the next couple of years! :tongue:
+1
He's an asshole.
And no , punter isnt the kind of material for such greatness.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
ZD_Banana said:
India - England ODI in my city on 17th WOOHHOOOO
take some pics, and do me a favour and throw an egg at Kevin Pietersen.
I hope we RAPE them. the english ppl in my office have started talking a bit too much after the south africa series, and the recent football revival. We need to bring them back to earth.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
fAREWELL jUMBO
What a man 619 wickets and the biggest match winner for india(in test).

BTW England bitches got their ass kicked by Gayle and co.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ashish said:
BTW England bitches got their ass kicked by Gayle and co.

That was hi-ilarious :D

And that Stanford boy was hitting on the England players' wives as well - just magnificent.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Calum1903 said:
That was hi-ilarious :D

And that Stanford boy was hitting on the England players' wives as well - just magnificent.
LOL one more thing in cricinfo i read

gayle screwed stanford gf :D
awesome those wi players needed money, i like wi so good to see over hyped bitches losing

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
im really glad that england lost the 20 million thing. im also glad that NOONE seems to like the entire idea...i thought it was a terrible terrible way to spread the sport, and that was all even before the terrible publicity the tournament got thanks to the stanford and prior's whore of a wife.
i appreciate stanford's intention to spread cricket in usa, but this one was a bit of a disaster.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
done with this sport once these guys retire :(

Losing my religion

The change of guard in Indian cricket has pulled the rug out from under the feet of a generation of cricket watchers

Siddhartha Vaidyanathan

November 7, 2008

Goodbye to all that: the departure of India's stalwarts has consequences for cricket and cricket lovers © AFP

The events of the last few weeks are freaking me out. Anil Kumble has gone, Sourav Ganguly will go, and the other three may not be far behind. I assume there is a large group of cricket fans in their mid-to-late 20s, like me, who're grappling with the implications. This transition is messing with our minds.

Let me explain. For many of us cricket began in November 1989. Pictures of what went before are too hazy. I remember Allan Border lifting the World Cup but don't recall what I was doing then. So I can't connect Australia's World Cup win to my own life.

Sachin Tendulkar spoilt us. He commanded that we sit in front of the television sets. He ensured we got late with homework, he took care of our lunch-break discussions. He was not all that much older than us, and some of us naïve schoolboys thought we would achieve similar feats when we were 16. We got to 16 and continued to struggle with homework.

Then came Kumble and the two undertook a teenager-pampering mission not seen in India before. Tendlya walked on water, Jumbo parted seas. Our mothers were happy that we had nice heroes - down-to-earth prodigy and studious, brilliant bespectacled engineer. They were honest, industrious sportsmen, embodying the middle class.

When we thought we had seen everything, they reversed roles - Tendlya bowled a nerve-wracking last over in a semi-final, Jumbo played a match-winning hand with the bat. We were such spoilt brats that we pined for openers and fast bowlers. We cursed the side for not winning abroad. Such greed.

Economists would probably have predicted the bursting of the bubble. We had a deluge instead. One fine day at Lord's we got a glimpse of two new saviours: Delicate Timing and Immaculate Technique. Suddenly my group of eight friends was split into two camps. You were either with Ganguly or Dravid. In that period we even took Kumble and Tendulkar for granted. It was adolescent indulgence taken to the extreme.

When we played cricket on the streets, we had a number of choices. Left-handers were thrilled, defensive batsmen were happy, extravagant stroke-makers were delighted, the short boys didn't need to feel left out anymore, spectacles became cool, and freaky bowling actions were no more laughed at.

In such a state of bliss did we live our lives. We flunked important exams, shed tears over girls, crashed bikes, had drunken parties, choked on our first cigarettes, and felt utterly confused about our futures. But every time we felt low, we had an escape route. One glimpse of Dada stepping out of the crease, or Jam leaving a sharp bouncer alone, or Kumble firing in a yorker, was an uplifting experience. So what if India lost? Could any of those Pakistani batsmen even dream of batting like Sachin or VVS?

My generation needs to brace itself for this exodus. Some of my friends have been talking of needing to revaluate their own careers

I remember Ganguly and Dravid soaring in Taunton, mainly because it was the day I got my board-exam results. And boy, did that provide some much-needed relief. I remember Tendulkar's blitz against Australia in Bombay because my dad, who thought cricket was a waste of time, sat through every ball. So connected were these cricketers to my growing up.

Now, after close to 20 years, my generation needs to brace itself for this exodus. Some of my friends, crazy as this sounds, have been talking of needing to revaluate their own careers. Others are realising they need to recalibrate their childhood definitions of cricket. "Part of me just died," said a college friend who was the kind of extreme cricket buff who memorised scorecards. "No Dada, no Jumbo. I'm positive I'll stop watching after Sachin and Rahul retire."

These players were not only outstanding cricketers but also great statesmen. However hard they competed, they were always exceptional role models. Now we dread the next wave of brashness and impetuosity. Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth are talented cricketers, but there's no way anyone would want a young kid to emulate either. The younger crop seems worse - a visit to some of their Orkut and Facebook pages tells you enough - and things may only get cruder in a cricket world when you can make a million dollars in a little over three hours.

"Our childhood is ending," said a friend from school, and in some way he was probably spot on. Tendulkar's retirement may mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but for a generation of 25- to 30-year-olds it will mark the end of the first part of their lives. Switching on the television the day after will be a serious challenge.

Siddhartha Vaidyanathan is a a graduate student in Chicago and a former assistant editor at Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
totally man....its going to be so weird to see india permanently without tendulkar in the lineup. its the closest thing in cricket that you get to maldini's retirement, and both will go within a year of each other.

I remember that phenomenal sharjah series, where he was hte only guy hitting mcgrath for sixes through dust storms, floods, light failures etc etc and scored back to back centuries to win india the tournament. My dad up till that time was a sceptic, somewhat rightly, saying he never scores in the second innings, when we need him to.
we both watched the game that we needed to do well in to qualify for the final, and we realised we were watching cricketing greatness. i was supposed to be on a flight during the final, to australia, and my dad said 'we will win the final, and sachin will score the century - he is having his moment of greatness right now'. while on the flight, the aussie pilot announced that india had won, with a sachin century. :proud:

i was too young to remember 1989, but that sharjah tournament just stuff from the gods.

even ganguly and dravid - the 124 at dhaka under lights chasing pakistan's 300+ score in the final, dravid's stunning double centuries and FOUR back-to-back test centuries, which is unheard of in cricket, even by the great Bradman. The Wall, indeed. I would love to see him score another typical, technically perfect century before he retires.

India is REALLY going to struggle for a bit after these guys...im going to be saddest for Dravid and Sachin's departure - theres something special about watching Sachin's straight drive, or Dravid's forward defensive - yes, even THAT, is just sublime to watch.
I'm privileged to have seen these guys play, definitely the best middle order india has ever seen.

88923.jpg

Impeccable!

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
they are legends :star:

all so different
sachin - master god everything
Dravid- obedient servent, worker the back bone
Gangu - f u aussies and f u flintoff, i dont give a damn about what you say.
Kumble- have to ball 40 overs day no problem
Laxman - opponents wont know whether he is hurting them untill they see the score board, sweet poison

upcoming generation is shit.

Bow to these legends thanks for everything

ριρρσ мισ

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zola, Chiesa, Inzaghi, Buffon, Kaka, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Paloschi, Serginho, Borriello
Krejza took 8 wickets on debut and was on a hattrick in the closes stages of the Indian first innings. Brilliant debut, if only we took a punt on him earlier in the series!

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
ριρρσ мισ said:
Krejza took 8 wickets on debut and was on a hattrick in the closes stages of the Indian first innings. Brilliant debut, if only we took a punt on him earlier in the series!
We didn't really struggle against Krejza, which might appear to be ridiculous, considering he took eight wickets. But again, the 215 runs Krejza conceded for his wickets is the most in an innings by a debutant. So we didn't exactly struggle against him, the wickets are the prize for his perseverance - which is a fantastic thing.

So in one series we lose two of the Fab Five - Kumble and Ganguly. It's a big blow. They say Kumble was losing it in the past year, but you never know with him. At least I'd never write him off. Even in retirement, the man had the dignity not to even voice disappointment at the media - forget blasting it - for the shameful haste and persistence it showed in questioning these great players' places even in the event of a single failure. Not the whole media of course, but some prominent channels and newspapers.

Ganguly had been playing well after his comeback to the team. He'd been averaging over 40, had scored a couple of centuries and even hit his maiden double century. With Ganguly, you get the feeling that he'd perform only if he was consistently challenged - when he was captain his form was not under debate because his vision was too great an asset to be compromised - but not when he's in the team as a batsman alone.

In such circumstances, pressure was already there for Ganguly to keep performing. So I don't think there was any need to chase him out the way we did. If he'd not performed and been dropped he'd have got the message, but was not given the opportunity to do so - by the old selection committee, whose tenure ended just before the Australia series. Ganguly has already said how, if the old selection committee had still been in place, he'd have been dropped for the Australia series.

At the end of the day, he decided to go out on his own terms, which is the least the great man deserves. He was the man who gave Indian cricket belief.

Now we're down to Tendulkar, Dravid - my favourite - and Laxman. I have a nasty feeling Dravid might call it quits soon.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
radioactivenerd said:

Sachin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lara
abunch of guys with an indian Bias think Tendulkar> Lara how surprising :eek:
I'll go with the double record holder and the guy with the higher test average if you don't mind :o
Lara was like AC Milan - when he was good he was untouchable and when he was bad he sucked

Tendulkar was like Inter. Always strong and always ranked among the best but never reached the heights he had the potential to.

Of course Tendulkar was a better bowler but then again CR7's free kicks own Kaka's don't they? ;)

Last edited:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar and Inter?

Jesus :rolleyes:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
we should believe a wi saying sachin is inferior to lara

those who want to open their eyes

there is some data
Lara

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
Tests
131 232 6 11953 400* 52.88 60.51 34 48
ODIs
299 289 32 10405 169 40.48 79.51 19 63

Sachin

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
Tests 153 250 26 12272 248* 54.25 40 51
ODIs 417 407 38 16361 186* 44.33 42 89

In india his captain sometime declares on 194 cause we try to win matches and some people in some countries go on and play to score 400 for what?

sachin was there when lara started and still going strong

sachin is compared with lara mark waugh sanath ricky......
its the bench mark, only weekness in sachin is he cant score thoise three hundreds, but still he score at a gr8 averga and is consistent and plays forhis team.

for those who compare sachin with inter and consider lara as angel can stick with football. i have utmost respect to both legends but anyday sachin rocks cause he plays for a country where every move is scrutnised and lara he doesnt play for a country and where nobody give a damn about wi cricket after their mighty fall

EDIT: gr8est batsmen ever to play might be don bradman but he also played against few opponent but still i think he would have scored at a rate of 70 runs per innings in modern days

oh gr8est tribute to sachin is certain sir don rated sachin close to himself.

Last edited:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ashish said:
we should believe a wi saying sachin is inferior to lara

those who want to open their eyes

there is some data
Lara

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
Tests
131 232 6 11953 400* 52.88 60.51 34 48
ODIs
299 289 32 10405 169 40.48 79.51 19 63

Sachin

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
Tests 153 250 26 12272 248* 54.25 40 51
ODIs 417 407 38 16361 186* 44.33 42 89

In india his captain sometime declares on 194 cause we try to win matches and some people in some countries go on and play to score 400 for what?

sachin was there when lara started and still going strong

sachin is compared with lara mark waugh sanath ricky......
its the bench mark, only weekness in sachin is he cant score thoise three hundreds, but still he score at a gr8 averga and is consistent and plays forhis team.

for those who compare sachin with inter and consider lara as angel can stick with football. i have utmost respect to both legends but anyday sachin rocks cause he plays for a country where every move is scrutnised and lara he doesnt play for a country and where nobody give a damn about wi cricket after their mighty fall

EDIT: gr8est batsmen ever to play might be don bradman but he also played against few opponent but still i think he would have scored at a rate of 70 runs per innings in modern days

oh gr8est tribute to sachin is certain sir don rated sachin close to himself.
I love both players, but I wouldn't say Tendulkar is greater than Lara and vice versa, because it's not really worth it. They are two of the greatest to have played the game, and would figure in most All Time XIs. The men themselves are great friends, so I don't think there's anything to be gained from arguing who is greater. But to compare Sachin to Inter is stupid.

It would be possible to argue Lara is greater than Tendulkar with the help of data. Likewise, it's quite possible to do the same in favour of Sachin. But I don't think it's worth it.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Italian Tsar said:
I love both players, but I wouldn't say Tendulkar is greater than Lara and vice versa, because it's not really worth it. They are two of the greatest to have played the game, and would figure in most All Time XIs. The men themselves are great friends, so I don't think there's anything to be gained from arguing who is greater. But to compare Sachin to Inter is stupid.

It would be possible to argue Lara is greater than Tendulkar with the help of data. Likewise, it's quite possible to do the same in favour of Sachin. But I don't think it's worth it.
roger that

wi is fav team(obviously after india)

but milan merda thing made me crazy.........
no offense meant to anybody

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Ashish said:
roger that wi is fav team(obviously after india)

but milan merda thing made me crazy.........no offense meant to anybody
Likewise I mean no offence to you buddy :)
I was just trying to piss off nerd :D

I thought the Inter-Tendulkar analogy fitting because Inter are always consistent but not breathtakingly brilliant. In the last decade Inter have always been in the top four and have won the Scudetto three times....similarly Tendulkar hasn't won any MAJOR trophies with India NOR is he the record holder....He never sucked ass the way Lara did when he was on poor form (like getting your ass handed to you in a 5-0 whitewash :eek: )though just like Inter never got relegated or lost out on the CL. Tendulkar has generally had a great supporting cast behind him while.

and Like Milan, Lara has reached some fantastic heights...like the 375, the 400. Being the best batsman in the world in a WI team that led the standings (waaaaaay back when we actually had bowlers :rolleyes: ) etc.....kinda like Milan ruling the CL universe and winning every major trophy in the world before getting raped by Napoli etc and getting kicked out of the CL...
This is an interesting blog I read on Lara but it's biased towards him.
click here

I guess I love Lara because on his day NOBODY could touch him....it's why I also like Ronaldo and Allen Iverson. All of them have played boatloads of shit and would probably never fit in the same sentence with the word "consistent" but it's their brilliance that I look at