Vincenzo Montella Thread

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The quality of trolls has really suffered in the last few years. Where's my man Ashish gone?

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Montella's Milan is the team that sprints the least in Serie A this season so far (6.63km).

CuYgPwuWcAApqcC.jpg

Bacca: "With Montella I am more delighted, because football is played with the ball not with running more. If you want to run only then you might as well go train with @UsainBolt."

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montella's Milan is the team that sprints the least in Serie A this season so far (6.63km).

CuYgPwuWcAApqcC.jpg

Bacca: "With Montella I am more delighted, because football is played with the ball not with running more. If you want to run only then you might as well go train with @UsainBolt."

This isn't a Montella trademark, it's how Milan has been for years.
We were also at the bottom of these lists with Mihajlovic(and all the other previous coaches). Miha raised it a bit with the 4-4-2, but not by much.

Montella's Fiorentina wasn't like this. Allegri's Juve isn't like this. etc

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The gap between teams are so less until we reach Milan. And then suddenly it drops by a full 1 km :lol:

Like Empoli at 2nd place and Udinese at 19th have as similar a gap as Udinese and Milan at 20th.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Nice to see a coach here who actually can implement his ideas in a decent time frame. Miha was pretty close and he gave Milan a kick in the pants.. he was also responsible for giving our best youngsters a chance and signing Romagnoli.. so well done by Miha for starting the change. Now it's Montella's time to fine-tune it and give us an on-field style rather than our headless chicken style we've had the past several years now. So far so good, hopefully it's only forwards from here

unda

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

CuYgPwuWcAApqcC.jpg

Yes, this is the reason we suck for so long now. I can only repeat it again and again: Milan probably is the laziest team ever and Montella is an idiot if he things the only thing that matters is how you play with the ball.
Why are Guardiola teams so good? It's not because of tiki taka etc. but because of players working extremely hard especially off the ball.
Thats the only reason why I think Miha did an excellent job because for the first time I saw a change in the workrate of the players.
Now it seems that we are back to square one with football from the 90's just with mediocre players instead of a world class squad.
I'm by no means a Montella hater but we dont need some kind of football enthusiast as a coach, we need someone like Miha who is able to bring discipline and fitness making it possible for this team to become a football team of the 21th century rather than an absolute joke.

And this quote from Bacca shows exactly what kind of player he is. I will be a happy guy the day this guy leaves Milan. I would rather play Balotelli than him.

Last edited:

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Yes, this is the reason we suck for so long now. I can only repeat it again and again: Milan probably is the laziest team ever and Montella is an idiot if he things the only thing that matters is how you play with the ball.
Why are Guardiola teams so good? It's not because of tiki taka etc. but because of players working extremely hard especially off the ball.
Thats the only reason why I think Miha did an excellent job because for the first time I saw a change in the workrate of the players.
Now it seems that we are back to square one with football from the 90's just with mediocre players instead of a world class squad.
I'm by no means a Montella hater but we dont need some kind of football enthusiast as a coach, we need someone like Miha who is able to bring discipline and fitness making it possible for this team to become a football team of the 21th century rather than an absolute joke.

And this quote from Bacca shows exactly what kind of player he is. I will be a happy guy the day this guy leaves Milan. I would rather play Balotelli than him.

nop

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
3 man defense today when we were attacking today for a large portion of the game. Guess he did it to relieve the pressure on Locatelli who was a bit timid, and the fact that chievo play with 2 strikers so he wanted a spare man. His half time adjustments/team talks seem to be having a good effect on the players as we seem significantly better in most second halfs.

Phantomx

Only Milan
Reaction score

agree with bold parts
I have always said that we need a foreign coach.
I fucking hate this style of play . we need someone like pochettino , klopp , simeone , Tuchel or Pep .

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
I agree about work rate, thats why we were getting thrashed the past campaigns. But I also say that montella has got the team believing in their individual ability, and thats a good place to start your foundation. The team can only get better with more fitness and quality from outside or with in, from this point.

bobdeboss

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

You're right that some of our players are lazy, but to blame montella?...nah his fiorentina were very energetic and people think his style doesn't require running? it does, the most difficult part in football is moving without the ball and in a possession based team to be effective you need alot of intelligent off the ball movement. We ve lacked movement off the ball since allegri and also some of our players are very timid, they lack the hunger, pep's teams arent just fit, they re hungry. alot of our players lack the hunger and intelligence to be starters for milan and im sure montella notices that, but what matters now until we get new players is to get the results.

Cokata

E46
Reaction score
This was the first time in a long time that i can remember that we responded well to getting scored on. We didn't go into a panic defense in the last 15 minutes, instead we tried to control the game as much as possible looking for fauls to run the clock down and even looking actively for a 3rd goal to seal the deal. In the process Chievo had just 1 chance after that and it was down to a DeS fuck up.

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score

Wow .....

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Yes, because Balotelli is the perfect example of a high work rate, energetic, high pressing player. :lol:

Most sprinting is done by wingers/fullbacks when overlapping. We don't do that nearly as often as we should. Besides that I think our work rate is pretty good and we press very well, a quality that's improving with every game. Two of our goals were from pressing high and forcing errors. That's why you press high, to force mistakes, not to increase your sprinting stats by running aimlessly.

Targeted pressing is how you get the benefits without wasting energy.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
First half was horrible, except for the goal. Chievo were owning us. Got really lucky there. Second half was pretty good.

unda

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I chose Balotelli as a negative example, no sense in saying I would rather play Suarez or whomever.
Both have attitude problems in my opinion. I can't even say anything against Bacca, after all he scores a goal almost every time he touches the ball. I just really dislike this type of players, who let the team play for them.

You're right that some of our players are lazy, but to blame montella?...nah his fiorentina were very energetic and people think his style doesn't require running? it does, the most difficult part in football is moving without the ball and in a possession based team to be effective you need alot of intelligent off the ball movement. We ve lacked movement off the ball since allegri and also some of our players are very timid, they lack the hunger, pep's teams arent just fit, they re hungry. alot of our players lack the hunger and intelligence to be starters for milan and im sure montella notices that, but what matters now until we get new players is to get the results.

You're 100 percent right, but the question is if Montella notices this then why the hell he goes full possession instead of adapt to the players and play a more cautious, more pragmatic approach?

I don't blame Montella for the laziness in the squad, that is based on old structures/habits in my book, that would be stupid. I just questioned his judgement on how to play with a squad with basically no technical/creative players, a squad that is also known to be very static off the ball and it shows at some points.

I like it as much as the next one that after years we finally play some good attractive attacking football, but as much we improved the offense, defensively we have been much worse than last year till now.

The second half yesterday was very good and I also give Montella credit for that. I just hope that maybe in the future we can keep the kind of intensity needed up for 90 or almost 90 minutes.

PS: I'm still bitter at the fact that Miha got sacked for no reason. :o

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Montella has done well so far.

It's still not a perfect squad but he's doing well, and pretty much better than anyone expected. Niang and Suso have come on leaps and bounds and Bacca is scoring more regularly. He's continuing to play the youth introduced by Miha and introducing more also.

I do thank Miha for sorting out some issues, making the team more solid and picking youth/the correct players, but we're doing well now and he's doing well in Torino.

On to the next one. I see no reason why we can't finish top 3, especially with some money in January.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montella is EXCEEDING expectations with this squad

EL would be fair with this squad- he is getting the best out of them

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Montella is EXCEEDING expectations with this squad

EL would be fair with this squad- he is getting the best out of them

well said first part:thumbsup:

EL should stay the target for the moment but with the right players i can easily see Mister taking us to glory CL

I would keep him for at least 2 years

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score

EL should stay the target for the moment but with the right players i can easily see Mister taking us to glory CL

Yes

We have to remember that an injury to niang or kucka and we will turn average again

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

We BADLY need to keep him for 2 seasons. The constant turnover since Allegri has left us looking more like the mid 2000s Inter than AC Milan.

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
thats what happen when Berlusconi can't interfere when it comes to the tactics and other things :thumbsup:

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
We always play good after we somehow have a goal lead.
For example the game vs Lazio when Parolo made a mistake, or last game with a rocket of Kucka.
Before those moments we got owned so hard.
I want to see our players do better when we behind.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We always play good after we somehow have a goal lead.
For example the game vs Lazio when Parolo made a mistake, or last game with a rocket of Kucka.
Before those moments we got owned so hard.
I want to see our players do better when we behind.

1) it's good because the last two seasons, Milan was horrible at holding leads. We dropped like 20 points a season from lost leads. The team is mentally stronger now.

2) against Napoli we saw a brief comeback than wouldn't have happened last year, and we saw it against sassuolo. We've only had two losses so not really a lot of chances to show their comeback abilities but I've been impressed so far.

The team is definitely more confident, I thank mihajlovic because he set a sort of foundation but montella has taken it to another level and has Milan starting to feel more like a big club again.

Schedule