Milan's History Thread

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Inomilan the links direct you to a forum, where there they ahve alot of Videos..
It is in Arabic, i"ll try to bring something out of there..and Post it Here..

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Derby Milano il film - Milan vs Inter - part 1

Derby Milano il film - Milan vs Inter - part 2

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
our All time XI from channel4
milanpitch.gif

Lorenzo BUFFON 1949-59
Goalkeeper who along with Nils Liedholm won four championships with Milan in the 1950s. Made his debut at the age of 20 while he was fourth choice and kept the No 1 jersey for the next decade. Also played 15 times for Italy before moving to Genoa and Inter.

Mauro TASSOTTI 1980-1997
Mauro Tassotti played 581 games in all for the Rossoneri. Was signed from Lazio and went on to become one of the most consistent players in the Italian game. Eventually won international honours, but only after Arrigo Sacchi was national boss.

Franco BARESI 1977-1997
Voted Italy’s Player of the Century, Franco Baresi will long be remembered as one of the all-time greats. Played 716 games for Milan in a 20-year stay that saw him become the lynchpin of one of the strongest defences in the history of the Italian game. When he retired, Milan withdrew his No 6 shirt.

Paolo MALDINI 1985-
Former Italian captain and most capped international player, Maldini established himself as the world’s best left-sided defenders in the early 1990s. The son of another Milan hero in Cesare, Paolo has won almost every single club honour there is available.

Giovanni TRAPATTONI 1960-71
Ex-national Coach, Trapattoni made his name in the game as a tough tackling midfielder with the Rossoneri. Played over a decade with the club and won many honours including two Serie A titles and two European Cups. Famously once man marked Pele out of an international game in 1963.

Frank RIJKAARD 1988-93
Dutch midfielder who was part of the Dutch trio of the classic Milan side of the late 80s. A much under-rated holding midfielder, Rijkaard was perhaps the most important Dutch element of the side. Played 148 Serie A games, scoring 16 goals.

Gianni RIVERA 1960-79
The original Golden Boy of Italian football, this stylish midfielder performed at dizzy heights for Milan for over 15 years. He debuted as a fresh faced 19-year-old shortly after signing from Alessandria and became an established international – even without ever showing the same sort of club form for his country.

Nils LIEDHOLM 1949-61
A master of passing, Liedholm played 359 gamers for the club and scored 81 goals. ‘Liddas’ also successfully coached Milan to the Serie A title and later repeated the feat with Roma. They say he went two seasons without misplacing a pass...

Gunnar NORDAHL 1949-56
Winner of the Capocannoniere crown five times during his time with Milan, the Swedish giant became a legend of the Italian game. Scored 210 goals for the club including 35 League goals in just one season. Nicknamed ‘il pompiere’ – the fireman – due to his profession in his homeland.

Marco VAN BASTEN 1987-95
Flying Dutch centre-forward who was instrumental in Milan’s late 80s and early 90s success. Three times European Footballer of the Year, Van Basten scored 108 goals in 168 matches for the club. Crowned Serie A top scorer twice, he was forced to retire in 1995 due to an ankle injury.

Jose ALTAFINI 1959-66
Brazilian attacker who won the title with Milan in his debut season with the side. The agile forward also became an integral part of the team that lifted the European Cup in 1963. Later played for Napoli and Juventus. Was nicknamed ‘Conileone’ – half rabbit, half lion.

THE COACH:
Arrigo SACCHI 1987-91
sacchiindex01.jpg

Arrived from Serie B outfit Parma and immediately led Milan to the title in his debut season in Serie A. Spent four years at the club where the side never failed to finish lower than third. Also led the outfit to two European Cup victories, two Intercontinental titles and a European Super Cup. Played a massive part in revolutionising Italian football with his 4-4-2 pressing game

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
crazy4milan said:
I don't want to be a massochist, but I was reading some weeks ago how Sacchi hasn't gotten over the loss of the 1990 scudetto. There was some controversial things not only in a Milan vs Verona game ....
Just a bit of continuation about why Milan resents the Betegoddi stadium so much.

In season 72/73 Milan led the table all the way to the last match of the season and with 44 points had 1 point lead over both Juve and Lazio at joint 2. Remember this was the day when a win worth 2 points. At the last game of the season (May 20 1973) Milan played away vs Verona. Juve entertained Roma; while Lazio played away vs Napoli. Milan had way superior goal difference than Juve and they shared a 2-2 draw in the 2 games that they met. A draw was enough to secure (at that time) the 10th scudetto and sewn that elusive star (Stella) to the jersey.

Napoli won 1-0 vs Lazio so now Milan had it all to win. But it all started badly. Milan was down 3-0 at half time, including an own goal. Milan managed pulled one back but then another own goal compounded the misery before the game ended 5-3 for Verona. Bye bye scudetto.

Meanwhile at the Stadio Olimpico Turin; Roma held Juve to a 1-1 draw until Antonello Cuccureddu scored the winning goal 5 minutes before the end to win their 15th scudetto (can u imagine the celebration that they had?). Juve finished the season with 45 points, followed by Milan with 44 and Lazio at 43 points.

Some said it Milan was too tired after winning the Cup Winners Cup Final vs Leeds United 4 days earlier at Salonika, Greece. The game, celebration and the travel clearly affected the team performance.

And consider this : in the previous season of 71/72 Milan won the last 4 games of the season but only finished 2nd again, 1 point (again) short from Juve (again). Before that 4 game winning streak, Milan was held to a 1-1 draw who else by Verona at where else but the Bentegodi stadium. Milan still won the Copa Italia but that was a mere consolation.

So it's safe to say that Verona and the Marc Antonio Bentegodi has caused us at least 2 scudetto (72/73 and 89/90) and maybe another scudetto (71/72). We used to celebrate May 5, 2002 as the day Inter had a meltdown and lost that away game vs Lazio hence losing the scudetto. But we also had our moment of nervous breakdown too.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Interesting find. I always thought that my hate for Verona was unreasonable, now I do understand (with Verona there's 2 other "small" teams that I can't stand-Atalanta and Lecce).
gaizka22 said:
So it's safe to say that Verona and the Marc Antonio Bentegodi has caused us at least 2 scudetto (72/73 and 89/90) and maybe another scudetto (71/72). We used to celebrate May 5, 2002 as the day Inter had a meltdown and lost that away game vs Lazio hence losing the scudetto. But we also had our moment of nervous breakdown too.
That's a big part of Milan, we win greatly, but we also have great losses in our history. But that's one of the main reasons of Milan's greatness, inspite of the meltdowns, we always raise up again.

I've been doing a TOP 10 games by Milan in my 10 years as a Milan fan (so nothing pre September 1998 will be used) (no I don't have a lot of time, but while I'm studying or during some class I come up with such things), I'm still deciding on some games + their positions, but it's almost completly shaped. I'll probably post it in early December when college chaos ends (for good).

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
crazy4milan said:
I've been doing a TOP 10 games by Milan in my 10 years as a Milan fan (so nothing pre September 1998 will be used) (no I don't have a lot of time, but while I'm studying or during some class I come up with such things), I'm still deciding on some games + their positions, but it's almost completly shaped. I'll probably post it in early December when college chaos ends (for good).
Interesting. Is it all games all just Serie A games? C'mon man! December is still long. Finish the list! :D

inomilan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
here are some games:
1963 UCL final against Benfica

http://files.filefront.com/1+Milan+2+1+Benifca+Faavi/;12166839;/fileinfo.html

1969 UCL final against Ajax

http://files.filefront.com/2+Milan+4+1+Ajax+Finadavi/;12168173;/fileinfo.html

11 Magio 2001 ;)

http://files.filefront.com/11+maggio+2001+INTER+MILA6avi/;12047119;/fileinfo.html

all thanks to Vadim from MM! :star:

PS: if anybody has successfully downloaded games, can they put it in torrents or anywhere else faster to download? coz i've been these for past 2days coz it keeps on stopping thanks to stupid internet connection. i'm getting frustrated w/ it constantly stopping especially when it stopped w/ around 30mins left! if anyone can put it in torrents, i am very grateful to you :D

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
gaizka22 said:
Interesting. Is it all games all just Serie A games? C'mon man! December is still long. Finish the list! :D
All games, but I can also do a clasification of CL and one of Serie A. I'm also trying to see if I can find videos of most of the nominees or at least some match report.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Ask in the multimedia thread for any vids you need c4m. ;)

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i put this parts because they are the final moments of those wining years...too bad it isn't in english

Storia del Campionato: Stagione 1995-1996 (Parte 7/9)

Storia del Campionato: Stagione 1998-1999 (Parte 8/9)

Storia del Campionato: Stagione 2003-2004 (Parte 7/9)

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
thanks inomilan :star:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
EDIT: Moved .

Thanks jaspei :)

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Even an idiot recognizes the best side in the history of the game:

Sinisa Mihajlovic: “Genoa are a well-organised side full of talented players who can find each other without looking, but they are hardly Sacchi or Fabio Capello's Milan, are they?

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/nov30a.html

(Bit of wishful between the lines reading but the point stays)

inomilan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/topten/italianteams.html

the top 10 Italian teams according to Channel4 and Milan has two teams there

4. Milan 1991-96
If 58 games without defeat does not convince you, Milan’s 4-0 victory in the 1994 Champions League Final against Johann Cruijff’s Barcelona – known as the Dream Team – should do the trick. Fabio Capello’s Invincibles were simply insatiable.

1. Milan 1987-90
A former shoe salesman and a trio of Dutch masters transformed Milan and the game football forever with their brand of total football and haul of eight major trophies, including two European Cups and a pair Intercontinental titles.

FORZA MILAN!!! :proud: :star: :proud:

inomilan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2008/12/29/1032739/ac-milan-all-time-best-xi

AC Milan All-Time Best XI

With Calcio currently in the middle of a winter break, Goal.com takes a look at the All-Time XIs for some of the biggest teams on the peninsula...

Lorenzo Buffon (1949-59) – Buffon made his debut at the age of just 20 and won four Scudetti during a decade with the Rossoneri. He played an important role in Milan’s first great team, a squad that included the Gre-No-Li Swedish trio. Buffon, who is related to the current Juventus and Italy No.1 Gianluigi Buffon, won 16 caps for the Italian national team.

Franco Baresi (1977-97) – Arguably the greatest ‘libero’ in the history of the game along with Franz Beckenbauer and Gaetano Scirea, Baresi (pictured above in the 1993 European Cup final) was voted as Italy’s Player of the 20th Century. Like Maldini, he was a one-club man, playing for Milan for his entire career. He won six Scudetti and three European Cups, and when he hung up his boots the Rossoneri retired his iconic No. 6 shirt. Also played 81 times for his country, captaining the Azzurri to a runner-up spot at USA 94’.

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (1965-74) – Brilliant blonde-haired defender, who is perhaps most famous for scoring the last-minute equaliser in normal time for Germany in their 4-3 ‘match of the century’ semi-final defeat to Italy in the 1970 World Cup. In nine years at Milan he won one Scudetto, one European Cup, two Cup Winners’ Cups and three Coppa Italia’s.

Paolo Maldini (1984-) – One of the game’s all-time legends, Maldini has been playing at the top of European football for almost a quarter-of-a-century. He made his debut for the club in January 1985, and has since become the most capped player both in the history of the club and Serie A. Has won seven Scudetti and five European Cups among a host of honours, and is also the record appearance-maker for the Italian national team with 126 caps.

Nils Liedholm (1949-61) – Perhaps the most legendary of football anecdotes regards this great Swede. A magnificent passer of the ball, it is said that Liedholm went two seasons without misplacing a pass. When he finally did give the ball away he received a five-minute standing ovation from the San Siro crowd. Liedholm formed one third of Milan’s famous Gre-No-Li – the Swedish triumvirate that also included Gunnar Gren and Gunnar Nordahl. He won four Scudetti at the club and later coached them and Roma to the Serie A title.

Frank Rijkaard (1988-93) – A fantastic holding midfielder, who was just as world-class playing in defence, Rijkaard never received the recognition that his fellow Dutchman in the Milan team, Gullit and Van Basten got. He won two Scudetti and two European Cups with the Rossoneri, scoring the winner against Benfica in the 1990 final. Also had an eventful international career, winning Euro 88’, however he blotched his copybook by infamously spitting at Rudi Voller at Italia 90’.

Roberto Donadoni (1986-96 & 1997-99) – Over the years Italy have not been blessed with too many world-class wingers but Donadoni was certainly one of them. Milan beat Juventus to Donadoni’s signature in 1986 and over the next decade he won every major club honour in the game. A skilful and tricky wideman with brilliant technique, he also played 63 times for Italy, but is sadly most remembered for missing a crucial penalty in the semi-final shoot-out defeat to Argentina at Italia 90’.

Gianni Rivera (1960-79) – ‘The Golden Boy’ made his Serie A debut for hometown club Alessandria at the age of just 15. This prompted Milan to snap him up and in the next 19 years, he won three Scudetti and two European Cups among a host of other honours. His display in the 4-1 final victory over Ajax Amsterdam in 1969 is regarded as one of the best individual performances of all time. It led to him winning that year’s Ballon d’Or, however like another ‘Golden Boy’ of today, Alessandro Del Piero, he never had the same impact at international level.

Jose Altafini (1958-65) – Many regard Altafini as the greatest Brazilian to have ever played in Serie A. He scored 168 goals in 248 matches for the club and won trophies galore during his seven seasons. The forward’s most prized moment came in the 1963 European Cup final when he scored both goals as Milan came from behind to beat Eusebio’s Benfica 2-1 at Wembley. He later moved on to Napoli and Juventus, where he also enjoyed great success. Finally left Serie A at the age of nearly 38 after 18 years in the peninsula.

Marco Van Basten (1987-93) – One of the game’s most complete forwards, Van Basten was the final piece of the famous Dutch triad. He won the Ballon d’Or and the Scudetto three times respectively, the European Cup twice and scored 108 goals in 168 matches for the club. He was also a star for Holland, scoring a memorable goal in the final of Euro 88’. Retired at the age of 29 due to injury.

Gunnar Nordahl (1949-56) – With a quite incredible record of 210 goals in 257 games, Nordhal is not only the top goalscorer in Milan’s history, but also second highest in Serie A behind Silvio Piola. He finished Capocannonieri five times, won the Scudetti twice, while he also scored 33 goals in 43 games for the Swedish national team.

Formation: 3-4-3:

Buffon

Schnellinger Baresi Maldini

Rijkaard Liedholm

Donadoni Rivera

Altafini Van Basten Nordahl

Carlo Garganese, December 2007

EDIT: some of the description makes me think they copied it from the channel4 version

Last edited:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players