The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Discussions

AC Milan Discussions Talk about AC Milan's tactics, AC Milan news, events, history, etc., in here. Also find out details on how to travel to Milan and buy AC Milan tickets.

View Poll Results: Who should be the new Milan captain
Alessio Romagnoli 17 89.47%
Giacomo Bonaventura 1 5.26%
Cristian Zapata 0 0%
Gonzalo Higuain 1 5.26%
Lucas Biglia 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 17:59   #121
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Interesting to see if Milan are ahead of the trend or behind it in terms of the strong runner midfield.
I'd say Allegri does it because he doesn't have much of a choice. Aquilani is injured, Seedorf is too static and slow to be used at the same time as Aqua, we decided to wait until we can get Montolivo for free and most other above average ball-playing CMs are too expensive for us.

As for using players like Boateng and Urby at CAM, it's most likely because of Ibra, since he likes to have freedom on the pitch and act like a traditional trequartista every now and then and doesn't run much off-ball. Allegri doesn't seem to mind fielding Seedorf there, especially when Ibra isn't playing, and he's not a runner.

Quote:
They are essentially now the opposite of Barcelona. Guardiola’s side is clearly a better team than Real Madrid in head-to-head matches, but look likely to lose the league based upon inferior performances against the other 18. Milan don’t have the intelligence to break down good sides, but they can easily blast past minnows. Against top clubs, Milan struggle; they haven’t beaten any of the top six in Serie A this season.

So whereas Milan’s style in the mid-2000s was good for Europe (one league title but three European Cup finals), now they’re well in the title running, but very much outsiders in the Champions League.
This guy is dropping conclusions way too early. None of Juve, Napoli, Lazio, Inter or Udinese beat us or prevented us from winning with Aquilani in his favoured position(RCM) or even a injury-free KPB at CAM(he was playing while injured against Juve) and we missed players vital for our tactics in pretty much all of them. The only time we had Aqua at RCM and Ibra up top against a Top 6 team was Roma away, and we won it with Aqua and Ibra being the two best players on the field. And it's not like we struggled against smaller teams with Aqua instead of another runner.
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:58   #122
Fiero

That blog is spot on. Excellent job.
Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:04   #123
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

like hd said flat track bully machine .. collect the points and win serie a to put another star
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42   #124
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Michael Cox gets most of that article right, but underplays Cassano's role - and when he was playing, we were creative and at full strength. We just dont have good replacements for him.

Although to be fair to him, he's accurate as things stand today.

Last edited by necromancer; 11-02-2012 at 08:48.
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:57   #125
FOLA
World Cup Winner

other formation choices allegri should consider is 4-2-3-1...or 3-2-2-2-1
Especially against arsenal who attach from the middle.

3-2-2-2-1 :

-----------Nesta------------Mexes-------------
-------------T-Silva (play maker)-----------------------
Abate-----------------------------------Mesbah----------
-----------VMB------------------------------------
-----------------------Aquilani/Boateng--------------------------
---Binho/Boateng------------------------El-Shaarwy/Pato---------
------------------IBRA/Pato----------------------

Milan almost plays like this but with 1 DM and 2 CMs
if we play with 2 DMs we have more control more possession.
Since our team lack movement & players stick to their roles, then this formation fits better.

With this formation we have 2 DMs VMB & T.Silva who drops back to assist the defense.
The 2 DMs will act as play makers when milan has the ball...
With 2 DM the full back can attack more freely...Aquilani can advance more.
El Shaarawy and Binho must man mark the other teams full backs!
El Shaarawy and Binho must drop deep to help the build up play and they have more freedom in movement, they should drop into a more central role allowing fullbacks to run.
FOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:20   #126
Ricardo Villa
Rookie

I really think we should think about switching formations, well atleast while half our team is injured. The 4-3-1-2 just isnt working atm without Cassano's creativity and Boateng and Aquilani in Midfield.

I think a 4-2-3-1 would be better. Abbiati - Abate - Nesta - Mexes - Silva - Noccerino - Amborsosini - Robinho - El Shaarway - Emanlusen - Ibrahimovic.

Robinho is an extreamly talented player but in the 4-3-1-2 he just isnt in his best position up front, as his finishing is pretty poor and his movement and awareness of how to get into decent goalscoring positions is average at best. Hes far better in a wide forward role, with his skill and pace can tare appart any Defense. Ibrahimovic with his strength, touch and hold up play would give Robinho and El Shaarway the perfect person to play of of.

We could even switch is for the ECL with Ibrahimovic replacing Emanulsen in a deeper role and Inzaghi up front (we all know how good he is in the ECL).

Of course it all depends on how and when our injured players come back. But even when they do I would love to see a:

---------------Abbiati--------------

---Abate---Nesta---Mexes---Silva------

-------Noccerino------Aquilani---------

---Boateng-----Cassano------Pato--------

--------------Ibrahimovic-------------------
Ricardo Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:25   #127
MilanReality
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Villa View Post

---------------Abbiati--------------

---Abate---Nesta---Mexes---Silva------

-------Noccerino------Aquilani---------

---Boateng-----Cassano------Pato--------

--------------Ibrahimovic-------------------
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

Who the hell is going to do your defending?

That formation would only work for us with M'Vila --- Veloso replacing nocerino and aquilani.

We'd be scored on about 10 times a game, otherwise.
And Silva at LB?
MilanReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:58   #128
Dinar
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago

Our set pieces suck! Specially corners when Cassano & Silva scored at the very start of the season thought we'd worked on it in pre-season but now its back to that old shit, Dorf takes a short corner to either Binho or Urby, than Dorf loses the ball while Silva's (and off late Mexes) up ahead waiting for aerial ball but instead opposition immediately has a counter attack.

Arsenal would make us pay tomorrow if we don't exploit Szcenzy's (whatever) & their defensive line's weakness in dealing with corners & free kicks from wings.
Dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 01:03   #129
fchatzig
Rookie

I would rather do my analysis of the today's match (Milan-Juventus) here as I am not intend to criticise our players because I ve done this many times in the past.
First of all, this game should have been ours. Clear goal, ridiculous decision..What I enjoyed most was the team's behaviour after this decision. They kept the high line and they were putting pressure to Juve's defence with many different ways. Unfortunately Pato had a bad game again and we couldn't be effective. What changed in the second half when we had the momentum? Did Pato's substitute affect the team performance?
Now let's talk about tactics.
Ancelloti was the first who successfully played the formation 4-3-1-2 in 2003. It was an era where there were exceptional playmakers (Zidane, Rivaldo, Valern,Seedorf) and not so good wingers except from Giggs and Figo. It was obvious that the team with the better midfield would dominate. Real Madrid had the best names, but when Ancelloti showed the Pirlo's potential this started to changed. The strategy was to put as many playmakers in the same team as he could. He introduced Pirlo as the deep lying playmaker, Seedorf as a midfielder and Rui Costa with more freedom. He put Gattuso a monster of stamina and strength and he also had ambrosini with the same characteristics. We all know what happened next.
In my opinion the game has changed since then. Space has become a rare thing in the midfield due to the athletic ability of footballers. That's why teams are paying much attention to the sides. There the coach can decide to put either a classic winger or an inside forward who can take advantage of the overlaps happed from the full back and create situations. Barca is not playing with conventional inside forwards but it is clear they use players who can get inside the box or shoot with the opposite leg.
And that is Milan's problem for me. This season I ve seen many Juve's matches. They started with a 4-2-3-1 which gave them the opportunity to use their wingers/forwards and the runs to the box from their midfielders (Marchisio, Vidal). I considered them as the fastest team in serie A. For an unknown reason, Conte changed to 3-5-2 for the last matches with no great results.
Juve started the match with 3-5-2. That gave us the opportunity to dominate as they had less players in the middle of the pitch. The key point was that Juve turned into 4-2-3-1 in the second half with the introduction of Pepe. When you don't have good full backs and more importantly good cover, you will suffer. Juve had 2 or 3 players at the sides and if our midfielders (in the middle as we don't have wide palyers) were covering there were free juve players in the middle. That way we lost possesion of the ball. I would also say that our formation is more personal-based that means we rely heavily on certain player's skills (Ibra's creativity and holding of the ball) which means if those are missing we have a problem.
In 2003 we had gattuso running for 2, younger seedorf and pirlo and BY FAR greater full backs. Now we don't have them. Is it a coincidence that Milan suffers against English teams (Arsenal, Tottenham, United)? During those matches they all killed us from the wings. And as for our last match against Arsenal please remember the current Arsenal's situation and the condition of the pitch at the sidelines. Nobody could control the ball there.
To conclude, Milan is the only Big team playing 4-3-1-2 nowadays. It is the time to rethink that. First step would be to find faster players. Otherwise we have no future against the real Big teams as we by far the most slower team.

PS Sorry for the size of the message. I wanted to write them down once and never speak again for this matter.
fchatzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 02:10   #130
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchatzig View Post
I would rather do my analysis of the today's match (Milan-Juventus) here as I am not intend to criticise our players because I ve done this many times in the past.
First of all, this game should have been ours. Clear goal, ridiculous decision..What I enjoyed most was the team's behaviour after this decision. They kept the high line and they were putting pressure to Juve's defence with many different ways. Unfortunately Pato had a bad game again and we couldn't be effective. What changed in the second half when we had the momentum? Did Pato's substitute affect the team performance?
Now let's talk about tactics.
Ancelloti was the first who successfully played the formation 4-3-1-2 in 2003. It was an era where there were exceptional playmakers (Zidane, Rivaldo, Valern,Seedorf) and not so good wingers except from Giggs and Figo. It was obvious that the team with the better midfield would dominate. Real Madrid had the best names, but when Ancelloti showed the Pirlo's potential this started to changed. The strategy was to put as many playmakers in the same team as he could. He introduced Pirlo as the deep lying playmaker, Seedorf as a midfielder and Rui Costa with more freedom. He put Gattuso a monster of stamina and strength and he also had ambrosini with the same characteristics. We all know what happened next.
In my opinion the game has changed since then. Space has become a rare thing in the midfield due to the athletic ability of footballers. That's why teams are paying much attention to the sides. There the coach can decide to put either a classic winger or an inside forward who can take advantage of the overlaps happed from the full back and create situations. Barca is not playing with conventional inside forwards but it is clear they use players who can get inside the box or shoot with the opposite leg.
And that is Milan's problem for me. This season I ve seen many Juve's matches. They started with a 4-2-3-1 which gave them the opportunity to use their wingers/forwards and the runs to the box from their midfielders (Marchisio, Vidal). I considered them as the fastest team in serie A. For an unknown reason, Conte changed to 3-5-2 for the last matches with no great results.
Juve started the match with 3-5-2. That gave us the opportunity to dominate as they had less players in the middle of the pitch. The key point was that Juve turned into 4-2-3-1 in the second half with the introduction of Pepe. When you don't have good full backs and more importantly good cover, you will suffer. Juve had 2 or 3 players at the sides and if our midfielders (in the middle as we don't have wide palyers) were covering there were free juve players in the middle. That way we lost possesion of the ball. I would also say that our formation is more personal-based that means we rely heavily on certain player's skills (Ibra's creativity and holding of the ball) which means if those are missing we have a problem.
In 2003 we had gattuso running for 2, younger seedorf and pirlo and BY FAR greater full backs. Now we don't have them. Is it a coincidence that Milan suffers against English teams (Arsenal, Tottenham, United)? During those matches they all killed us from the wings. And as for our last match against Arsenal please remember the current Arsenal's situation and the condition of the pitch at the sidelines. Nobody could control the ball there.
To conclude, Milan is the only Big team playing 4-3-1-2 nowadays. It is the time to rethink that. First step would be to find faster players. Otherwise we have no future against the real Big teams as we by far the most slower team.

PS Sorry for the size of the message. I wanted to write them down once and never speak again for this matter.
Conte has been tinkering with Juventus' formation all season. The beginning of it was probably against Udniese, when he decided to replicate their 3-5-2 to evenly match them in the midfield.

Milan made too many mistakes and poor decisions. We saw Thiago Silva make mistakes clearling the ball, which is an rarity. We dominated the match for a good hour, and it was only inevitable that we would struggle at the back-end of the match. The hectic schedule in February and significant injury toll, required a lot of our players to backup every three days hence tiredness would creep into their legs in the later stages.

Allegri clearly wanted Milan to defend in the second half and hit Juventus on the break; however, Milan wasted far too many good counter-attacking opportunities. A simple ball into the area wasn't dealt with by Thiago Silva and that's where Juventus' goal eventuated from, not to mention a poor clearance from Thiago Silva seconds before.

Allegri likes to play a 4-3-3 formation; though, with the players at his disposal he has opted to go with the 4-3-1-2. Without Ibrahimovic, and with Nocerino and Muntari occupying the mezz'ala positions, it allows Milan to play more of a 4-3-3.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 05:54   #131
Casualista
Banned

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/02/...entus-tactics/
Quote:
Emanuelson v Pirlo

But Milan were the better side, and the main reason was the battle between Urby Emanuelson and Andrea Pirlo. Pirlo has been enjoying a superb season for Juve in the deep-lying role, and having released him last summer, no club knows that better than Milan. Therefore, they instructed Emanuelson to pick up Pirlo when Juve had the ball, and he struggled to dictate the play. Usually he plays 81 passes per game with 85.4% completion ratio, here he played 73 with 82% accuracy – not a huge difference, but his influence was less obvious.

But crucially, Emanuelson charged past Pirlo when Milan won the ball, which meant that Juve’s spare man at the back (the reason Conte had chosen a three-man backline) was no longer evident. Milan could get the ball forward quickly, drag the back three across the pitch out of position (particularly with Robinho’s movement into deep and wide positions), and power through the gaps.

The Juve back three were stranded against the movement of the Milan front three, receiving little protection from Pirlo ahead of them, while Stephane Lichsteiner and Marcelo Estigarribia moved forward as Juve’s third and fourth highest players up the pitch in attacking moves, meaning they were in no position to defend quick breaks.

(The midfield duos of Sulley Muntari-Antonio Nocerino and Claudio Marchisio-Arturo Vidal battled in the centre, with the Milan partnership stronger in the tackle – particularly Muntari, who made nine tackles in the game. By losing the battle in this zone, Juve struggled to connect the midfield and the attack.)

So where was Conte’s mistake? The forward duo probably wasn’t right, certainly. But Juve weren’t really getting the ball forward in the first place for that to be an issue. The problem was in a deeper zone, and the interesting thing is that while a back three logically makes sense against a front two, it probably wasn’t right considering the personnel involved here. Milan’s trequartista, whether Boateng or Emanuelson, is tasked with connecting the midfield and the attack with constant running, and therefore Milan effectively play more than a front two – a front 2.5, perhaps.
Casualista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 17:55   #132
ELMAGO99
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez

Everyone is very interested in the 3-4-3 now that Napoli plays it so well. Also Udinese has had success with it, even with their players not being WC.

I think Napoli's back (3) are not very good, but still this system works well for them. With our CB's, I think we would be unreal at this system. The problem is that it would be a big change for Allegri. Also, we would not be able to rotate our CB's as much as we do now. Anyhow:

---------------------------Ibrahimovic--------------------------------------
---------------Cassano--------------------Robinho-------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urby (Armero)-----Boateng-----Van Bommel-----------Abate-----------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------T.Silva--------Nesta-----------Mexes-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------Abbiati-----------------------------------------

El Shaaraway
Pato/Tevez/Another Striker
Mesbah
Gattuso
Ambrosini
Montolivo
Flamini
Merkel
Strasser
Aquilani
Nocerino
Astori
Yepes
Bonera
Antonini
Vila
Amelia
Donnarumma
ELMAGO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 21:23   #133
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli, Michael Avenatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinar View Post
Our set pieces suck! Specially corners when Cassano & Silva scored at the very start of the season thought we'd worked on it in pre-season but now its back to that old shit, Dorf takes a short corner to either Binho or Urby, than Dorf loses the ball while Silva's (and off late Mexes) up ahead waiting for aerial ball but instead opposition immediately has a counter attack.

Arsenal would make us pay tomorrow if we don't exploit Szcenzy's (whatever) & their defensive line's weakness in dealing with corners & free kicks from wings.
Just behind Osasuna in the rankings are Serie A leaders AC Milan, with a rate of 26.6%. What is even more impressive about Milan’s statistics, though, is that they have only set up goalscoring opportunities from set pieces on 30 occasions this season – the second fewest in Serie A – and yet they have scored 8 goals as a result – the most in the league. Alberto Aquilani has picked up 3 assists from 6 key passes at set piece situations this season, with Cassano and Ibrahimovic scoring headers from Aquilani’s corners, and Kevin Prince Boateng scoring a screamer from the edge of the area after a corner in the memorable 4-3 comeback against Lecce.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/x1zvoo...txng7ana/Show/

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:37   #134
jammin
pour l'éternité

Team Focus: AC Milan Going the Distance - Long Balls per Game (whoscored.com)

dat Allegri's awesome tactics.

Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casualista View Post
Best.

World cup.

Ever.
jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:00   #135
kapten
Primavera Player

I was thinking of the problem we have to find the right man at the right defender spot.. Then it hit me, didnt Urby use to play as right full back in Ajax? Have we even tried that solution?
kapten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:05   #136
Pedro
iedereen is gek

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapten View Post
I was thinking of the problem we have to find the right man at the right defender spot.. Then it hit me, didnt Urby use to play as right full back in Ajax? Have we even tried that solution?
No, never.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:14   #137
kapten
Primavera Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
No, never.
Googled it, he used to play as left back, but since Allegri plays him in nearly every position possible, why dont try him as a right back as well? Think he could do good.
Old 07-04-2012, 16:27   #138
Pedro
iedereen is gek

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapten View Post
Googled it, he used to play as left back, but since Allegri plays him in nearly every position possible, why dont try him as a right back as well? Think he could do good.
Abate is usually our best fullback, he is a rightback. This season Antonini has been our best fullback, he can play rightback. Zambrotta and I think Mesbah too can play rightback, but no thank you to playing them. Who do you want to play leftback that you want Emanuelson as rightback? I think all our fullbacks have played rightback. If we are sick of Abate, then try Emanuelson leftback with Antonini rightback.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:35   #139
kapten
Primavera Player

Im sorry Pedro, messing everything up in my own head right now i meant left back from the beggining .. I like Abate at the right spot. Its the left im talking about..
Old 07-04-2012, 16:37   #140
kapten
Primavera Player

Then my question is, have we tried Urby as left back?