Leonardo Thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
CS-Leonardo-10.08.jpg

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
I wonder what he could have done if he was appointed a few weeks or months earlier.

Would he have signed Strinic or Halilovic?

Would he have been able to convince Reina to come for lower wages?

Who would have been his other choice for left back if he signed Laxalt and was planning to let RR go?

Would he have been able to let more of the deadwood go at better deals for the club?

I hope we do well this year not least so we can see Leo at full flight during next summer's transfer market. It will be a thing of beauty.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
not sure if Araujo* or Trump hair. SELL!
DSC02000%20-%20Copy%20(1).png

is Araujo lost from thread title or never was in it? Could it be added?

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Interview taken from Rossoneriblog:

Leonardo addressed the Italian media to discuss several things after receiving the 2018 Nils Liedholm award, which is attributed each year to an athlete that is particularly noted not only for his results achieved, but also for the important values of loyalty, fairness, courtliness, transparency and elegance that have characterized the life and the sports career of Nils.

“Lucas Paquetá? There is not much to say,” Leo told the journalists. “We have a basic agreement with Flamengo, but as you know the market re-opens on January 3, so everything will have its effect at that moment. We still have a little way to go before the official.

“Now we have to think only about the league and the Europa League and not about the mercato. What kind of player he is? At the moment he is a player of Flamengo, he still has 10 games to play in Brazilian league and is competing for the title, he has to remain calm. We have to wait for January 3.

“Zlatan Ibrahimović? It’s normal that there is also a personal connection with him. When we arrived [in the summer], we thought about him, even at the age of 37 he drags others and you can see in America what he is for the team he plays in, it’s enough to note the impact on the psychological level and the titles won. Today the mercato is closed. We have to do things calmly.

We must never forget that our moves will be gradual based on the Financial Fair Play, we always need a balance. Let’s be calm and cautious and think about building a competitive team at high levels based on what we can do, it’s important to always be very calm. There is a process that we are following. We must never forget where we started, 3 months ago we weren’t even in Europa League.

“Higuain? He is a certainty, he’s always scored. His arrival at Milan has made an important impression, he’s great at dragging others. Who has surprised me? There is nobody in particular. Suso is a talent, everyone knows how he plays but they can’t mark him. It’s nice to see him play.

“We have so many important young people. Biglia is proving to be a great point of reference, Kessié has physical and technical strength, Jack has great experience, he inserts himself and scores goals. Çalhanoğlu must be more incisive, Cutrone has an energy and a contagious liveliness. We are talking about many important players, as there are also Castillejo and Laxalt. Bakayoko [who has impressed the least from the used new signings] will also demonstrate it, there are a lot of good things.

“The Derby della Madonnina? The derby is always the derby… you can say many things but then when the referee blows the whistle, the story emerges. We are growing, it will be a great test for us. I see a team that is more aware of what it can do, it’s understanding that it can do important things. My past at Inter? The derby is always emotional. I respect my move to Inter a lot and I have great esteem for Massimo Moratti, we have a great relationship. Being back at Milan makes me very happy.

“Galliani and Berlusconi at Monza? I’m happy because they cannot live without football. It’s a very beautiful story to tell. Their Milan has left us great values and emotions. We’re a different club now, but the values are the same. Liedholm? He is a symbol of elegance and sympathy.”

Leonardo also spoke on stage after receiving the award. “I’m happy to be here and receive this prize,” the Brazilian said. “I think that being respectful, polite and correct counts. I’m more pragmatic than Liedholm, more direct. I thank Carlo [Liedholm’s son] for choosing me for this award.

“I’ve done a bit of everything in my career [at Milan alone he was a player, coach and a director]. Having done so many different roles, I have a clear idea what my limitations are. Players and coaches win games, clubs win league titles. They live in the short term, whereas for a club it is the long term and it’s not easy. Being solid, consistent, and building lasting relationships is important.

“When you are a coach, you experience other emotions. The coach lives his career in a way that is tied to the results, as a director you have to be more solid. With Adriano Galliani I did my six years of University. I think it was a practical University course and Milan was perfect for that in every respect.

“In Italy there have been many family-ownerships but the world goes towards club-company and also the role of the director of sport is changing in this evolution. The value of a coach is given by the balance between the budget and the emotions it produces.

“In my life it has always been difficult to make plans. I’ve had positive situations and I also got caught up in opportunities. I wouldn’t have gone to Japan if Zico wasn’t there. I arrived at Milan in 1997, I played for four seasons and then I decided to close my career in Brazil at São Paulo and Flamengo.

After 6 months, Galliani calls me to organize the retirement of Zvonimir Boban; while I’m on the plane, Berlusconi calls Galliani and he says to me: ‘Are you my friend? So stay with us’. I stayed until April 1, 2003, when I become the assistant to Galliani. We created Fondazione Milan and I’m happy to be part of it again. There are Elliott people with me and Maldini on the board [of Fondazione Milan].

“Then Milan made me become a coach. I didn’t want to do it, but after we started we did the whole thing together [Leo was on the Milan bench in 2009/10, finishing third]. I went to Inter for a few reasons, but the main trigger was Moratti. I had relationships with a lot of the Brazilian Inter players when I was playing, and I always tried to stay close to Ronaldo and help him. Our relationship was born there. I shared thousands of projects with his daughter, Carlotta, and I met Moratti many times. This is now the fourth time I’ve come back to Milan, and all were based on emotion.

“The Youth Sector? It’s all about balance. Barcelona was based on the values of the Youth Sector and created an epic thing. Today we have Donnarumma, Calabria and Cutrone and there was also Locatelli, and these are the fruits of the work. Our young players are a bit massacred by information: if a 15-year-old guy has no sense of belonging then we did everything wrong.

“The training methods of the coaches should be changed because working with young players doesn’t mean pursuing the results.”

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
My past at Inter? The derby is always emotional. I respect my move to Inter a lot and I have great esteem for Massimo Moratti, we have a great relationship.

Jasper, NO! Put the gun down, Jasper... Jas, dont do it! Jas.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

aputakesabullet.jpg

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Moratti pet rat.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Leonardo: "We want Champions League qualification, but it will not have to become our obsession. For a club like Milan, the goal can only be a return to Europe, which is what matters.

Leonardo: "We think we have a suitable structure to achieve this goal, but we must not make a mistake of turning it into an obsession. At the moment, we are three points behind the 4th place and with a game in hand, so it's perfectly on line with our ambitions."

Leonardo: "Gattuso being questioned? The rumours about Gattuso comes from sources outside of our environment, and they are considered unfounded. This is why we did not consider it necessary to deny them, because Rino knows that he has the full support of the club and management."

Leonardo on the 2-striker formation: "During a season, with a team under construction, anything can happen. Gattuso makes his choices. From the beginning, we knew that the team could offer more variations, we have players who can play many roles, such as Castillejo and Borini."

Leonardo on Paquetá: "He's a 21-year old boy, a great promise, he started playing in the national team and has accumulated some experience in a team that is 2nd in the Brazilian league. We know that Lucas [Paquetá] will come to a team that is under construction, so it will take some time, but he's certainly a boy who has quite promising qualities."

Q: "Ibrahimovic will not play the play-offs with LA Galaxy. Will he come to Milan?"

Leonardo: "I think that talking about the market now is a bit out of the way. We think of the team's growth, where we have seen an important reaction after two losses, which is very important."

Leonardo: "Donnarumma? He's no longer a promising player, but more of a great reality, being the number 1 keeper of Italy. We have seen the potential in him in many times, he has to seek consistency, but he has a lot of time in front of him to do so."

Leonardo: "How do I judge Higuain? He has 2 goals less than an extraordinary player like Cristiano Ronaldo who plays in a team that has been winning the league for 7 years, so he has 5 goals with one game less played and this shows his unquestionable value."

And along with all of this.... Leonardo and his team are scouting in Rio de Janeiro: The target is Flamengo's 16-year old midfielder Reinier Jesus.

Last edited:

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^
Leonardo to GdS: “Our primary objective is to bring Milan back to the levels it’s used to. Don’t forget where we started. At the beginning of July we were out of the Europa League and many players had asked to be sold. Many.”

Well this is actually quite scary.. i wonder who are those players

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Did this guy actually complain about loud noises? Did he get this mentality from his time in Inter?

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Thankyou for paqueta

I fucking love Leonardo.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
JjDzgSV.png

Am I the only one who thinks Maldini looks like a lion and Leo like a squirrel?

Anyway, love them both

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
They both look cool as fuck. They would fit in a movie as leaders over an organized crime organisation perfectly.

Don Maldini
il Consigliere Leonardo

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It's quite a joy to see Leo and Maldini in the stands instead of the two clowns last year, or even Galliani.

Didn't care that Leo went to Inter at the time, and don't care now. He's a cold-headed professional and did what's good for him above all.

And I prefer a director to have such rational honesty about himself and about his job, rather than someone like Galliani who was so passionate about Milan that it blinded his judgement.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
They both look cool as fuck. They would fit in a movie as leaders over an organized crime organisation perfectly.

Don Maldini
il Consigliere Leonardo

more like Maldini is the hot headed FBI agent who's after the bad guys and Leonardo is the mob's accountant

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They were dying laughing at something yesterday after the second goal. It was nice to see.