Semi-finals: The Netherlands 0-0 Argentina (PK: 2-4) Wednesday 09/07/2014 22:00 CEST

Team to qualify for the final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
At age 2 and a half, I saw the 90 WC. My first WC. As I was learning to potty train, while watching Argentina Brazil, damn I was impressed with that Careca guy, no wonder he was part of that great MaGiCa side of Napoli. He moves so well in the area. Brazil set up this amazing defensive unit to contain Maradona and Caniggia, but man not even a 1 year old can deny that Maradona defied any tactic.

As my potty train wasn't going as successfully as planned, I noticed the Argies were laughing while brazilians were drinking water. Man was I pleased when they finally admitted they did put tranquilizers on the water, I was proven right.

But man, besides that, what a tactical battle that was.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
wijnaldum really impressed too. people keep dumping on me when i mention him, saying hes fodder. the guy was great at the 21 euros last year and had a great world cup showing he can play a bit deeper and adding a bit more steel to him game. would be perfect in a RCM role: monto--ndj--wijnaldum

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
A team you support played a style of football you criticise another team (italy) for playing, that is my point. Milan played to their strengths, as did Italy in 06, regardless of the inferior level of competition compared to a season in 90s Serie A. I was comparing playing styles, not tournaments.
I never criticized them for it...I just said I wasn't a fan of Italy NT cuz they played that way and I don't enjoy that kind of football
I'm not against teams employing it at all

But it's not because Italy played Catenaccio in WC 2006 that I thought they were lucky...I thought they were lucky simply cause I thought they didn't look too impressive apart from defense
The strikers all sucked(Gliardino :fp:)...and they barely scored goals

But there are teams who have played Catenaccio and have deserve their awards...as much as it pains me to say it...Inter in 2010 deserved the trophy

Last edited:

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
At age 2 and a half, I saw the 90 WC. My first WC. As I was learning to potty train, while watching Argentina Brazil, damn I was impressed with that Careca guy, no wonder he was part of that great MaGiCa side of Napoli. He moves so well in the area. Brazil set up this amazing defensive unit to contain Maradona and Caniggia, but man not even a 1 year old can deny that Maradona defied any tactic.

As my potty train wasn't going as successfully as planned, I noticed the Argies were laughing while brazilians were drinking water. Man was I pleased when they finally admitted they did put tranquilizers on the water, I was proven right.

But man, besides that, what a tactical battle that was.

at the 86' world cup i was a sperm inside my dads ball bag. from inside the bag i just managed to catch some games that were on in the background. my dad isn't really into football, but from the commentary i could really appreciate the german's high defensive line. I organised all my other sperm buddies to try out the german offside trap against the right nut. I credit my time as a sperm as the most formative perior in my tactical knowledge.

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
lol

Unless you are a bloody savant with in depth football knowledge, no bloody severn yr old would have any fuckin clue about football tactics. The only thing they would care about that point is star football players and the top clubs

And this is from personal experience of having been a said seven year old in my past

And where did I ever mention Tactics wise guy?:rolleyes:
I simply said those players all impressed me back then(and continued to impress me down the line as I was growing up) while Pirlo did not...simple as that
In other words I always thought those guys I mentioned were good players while I did not think Pirlo was that good...that was my thought process...nothing deep or anything

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
I never criticized them for it...I just said I wasn't a fan of Italy NT cuz they played that way and I don't enjoy that kind of football

But it's not because Italy played Catenaccio in WC 2006 that I thought they were lucky...I thought they were lucky simply cause I thought they didn't look to impressive apart from defense

But there are teams who have played Catenaccio and have deserve their awards...as much as it pains me to say it...Inter in 2010 deserved the trophy

12 goals in 7 games is barely scoring?

you should stop talking right about now

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
at the 86' world cup i was a sperm inside my dads ball bag. from inside the bag i just managed to catch some games that were on in the background. my dad isn't really into football, but from the commentary i could really appreciate the german's high defensive line. I organised all my other sperm buddies to try out the german offside trap against the right nut. I credit my time as a sperm as the most formative perior in my tactical knowledge.

I bet you and your sperm buddies thought italy had an excellent world cup in 86'.

Gio

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Kaká, Cafu, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Ambrosini, Sheva, Stam, Totti, R9

But it's not because Italy played Catenaccio in WC 2006 that I thought they were lucky...I thought they were lucky simply cause I thought they didn't look to impressive apart from defense

There were three big names in the squad up front, Del Piero, Pippo and Totti, all of whom got a goal. Gila got two and with a wonderfully timed pass, set up the 2nd against Germany, and Luca Toni who just came off a record-breaking capocannoniere season for Fiorentina also got 2. Iaquinta also got one. So they all chipped in, if you ask me that's brilliant, not just having to rely on one player. Look how Argentina struggle when Messi is shut down, same with Holland and Robben. Or dare I say it, Italy with Balotelli. :fp:

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
There were three big names in the squad up front, Del Piero, Pippo and Totti, all of whom got a goal. Gila got two and with a wonderfully timed pass, set up the 2nd against Germany, and Luca Toni who just came off a record-breaking capocannoniere season for Fiorentina also got 2. Iaquinta also got one. So they all chipped in, if you ask me that's brilliant, not just having to rely on one player. Look how Argentina struggle when Messi is shut down, same with Holland and Robben. Or dare I say it, Italy with Balotelli. :fp:

The strikers(from Italy) were all disappointing in that World Cup
Totti and ADP especially...I excepted much more from them

Pippo played like one match and got a goal...Gila played a shit ton of them and sucked in most of them...missing many chances like he usually does and whatnot(to this day one of the worst purchases Milan have ever made btw)

All in all offense was even more disappointing then it could have ever been considering Totti and ADP were playing

Italy has no good striker now tbf...so even if they don't build around Balotelli it won't mean much
I hope Balotelli proves me wrong next season but so far he's been a flop(and don't bring up stats...cuz most of those goals were FK's or PK's...he needs to prove himself as a reliable striker)

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
I wasn't aware the strikers scored all those goals
Cuz..oh wait...they did NOT

Gilardino inzaghi del piero and Toni all scored

And Italy mostly played w only 1 striker at a time... It's good to have all players score (grosso, zambrotta materazzi)... Why is that a problem? Lol

Dude you should sign out.. It's okay to be wrong..
You're in a corner now and no way out from all of the nonsense

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
An Aussie is defending our '06 team - that is how wrong this guy is.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I wasn't aware the strikers scored all those goals
Cuz..oh wait...they did NOT
Their forwards scored half the goals Italy made in the tournament (and well if you count Totti as a forward they scored 7 out of 12). I didn't know strikers had to score all the goals in their team in order to look impressive.

Also, I'm assuming your football knowledge has improved since you were 11 (which just shows you understood 0 about football*), when you couldn't recognize how fucking amazing Italy's midfield work was. And you just had to leave it at "the only good thing they did was defending", because defending is just sooo easy.

*and it doesnt look to good now.

Last edited:

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They're forwards scored half the goals Italy made in the tournament (and well if you count Totti as a forward they scored 7 out of 12). I didn't know strikers had to score all the goals in their team in order to look impressive.

Also, I'm assuming your football knowledge has improved since you were 11 (which just shows you understood 0 about football*), when you couldn't recognize how fucking amazing Italy's midfield work was. And you just had to leave it at "the only good thing they did was defending", because defending is just sooo easy.

Simone Perrotta should have won world player of the year for that world cup.

Gio

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Kaká, Cafu, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Ambrosini, Sheva, Stam, Totti, R9
They're forwards scored half the goals Italy made in the tournament (and well if you count Totti as a forward they scored 7 out of 12). I didn't know strikers had to score all the goals in their team in order to look impressive.

70449-The-very-best-Community-gifs-e7gd.gif

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
Perrotta was our 'jack of all trades.' Best midfielder to come out of England over the past decade :lol:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Messi was indeed better than robben this match, though he could have done much much better. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes full sage mode against deutchland.

Come on messi

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I was 7 but I wasn't stupid
Maldini impressed me,Nesta impressed me,Sheva impressed me,Pippo impressed me,Seedorf impressed me,Early Rui impressed me,Kaka impressed me,Stam impressed me,Cafu impressed me,Crespo in his short stint with us impressed me,Rino impressed me,Pirlo DID NOT Impress me

So you're saying that Pirlo didnt impress you in a tournament he didnt play in? I'm shocked.

Almost as shocking is that you were impressed by Kaka during the 25 minutes he played over the course of the tournament.

:lol:

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
If any team has won the WC it is because they deserved to win it.

Unless they had won it under shady circumstances, saying otherwise is just ones's own fuckin' opinion

p.s. - Italy deserved to win the WC. Zidane didnt need to headbutt Materazzi (regardless of what he said). Players shit talk in the pitch all the time. But a headbutt is a RED by the book

I wouldn't call 06 Italy "deserving". They got by on a Grosso dive and through provoking the best player to get sent off. Their only watchable game was vs Germany. ZZ deserved his dismissal though.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
I wouldn't call 06 Italy "deserving". They got by on a Grosso dive and through provoking the best player to get sent off. Their only watchable game was vs Germany. ZZ deserved his dismissal though.
:lol: still salty and butthurt :lol:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

can point to a peice of two of luck for ANY team in a tourney

the only way tio find a deserved champ is league typically. Just number of fixtures and home and away, over time determines it.

even if i wanna sya i agree on grosso dive. If it wasn't called. It's still a draw. No clue who comes out

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
So mini Germany made it to the finals, interesting.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
For my money, Holland was the best team in the tournament. Germany came to life only now. Argentina weren't better today, both kind of cancelled each other out. I did expect the Dutch to create more chances though.

Will be a great final. I expect Germany to win it easily. If Argentina win (assuming they keep up this style of passive football in the final too), they'll be the worst champions since Brazil 94.

I'm sorry but Holland didnt even try to play today and got their first solid shot on goal very late in the game iirc.

Argentina attacked much better and took the game to them for most of the game. Van Persie and Sneijder were extremely poor while Argentina froze out Robben.

Enzo Perez (first time I ever saw him) was killing them and Lavezzi was also pretty good. I think if Di Maria was healthy they would have won this game 2-0 in regulation.

I expect a cagey game and Germany may win 2-1 but I can also see Messi magic deciding it. Germany has the stronger side but Argentina proved today that they arent afraid to play their game and be very disciplined. Germany also has health on their side.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before WC everyone was pointing how defensive talentless Argentina is, and yet to prove they can work as an unit.

That they managed to defend their way to the final imo is a lot of credit to Sabella.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Its why I never like when many here talk about us needing these big time stars to be good defensively. Defence can always be played as a unit but you need smart and disciplined guys.

Mascherano made a big difference playing that sweeper type role though. The first few games I saw them I swore they were playing a 5 1 4. But he wasnt the only one because Di Maria tracked back and even Messi though he doesnt work much defensively would come very deep sometimes to pick up the ball and move it around and then advance. Other times Mascha stepped up in DM or stayed CB depth and initiated.

My friend was saying they would miss Gago but they had no issue starting attacks and they knew where and how to attack.

Dutch did well getting Messi off the ball but I think Messi of 2-3 yrs ago would have gotten away, he seems to have lost a bit of his burst.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We got our own examples... We had a good defense with Mexes and Zapata when the team had a super hard working midfield on a 433/4141.
But then we blew the whole idea, the new team never clicked, and so the same players were not worth a pay anymore

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Seriously fuck this Argentina squad. They haven't won a single game by more then one goal!

Most underserving finalist in my opinion.
It's a pretty good representation of the whole team. They play like pussies and were super lucky to even beat the Swiss not too mention they're group stage "opponents" :fp:

They are even more depressing to watch then Spain four years ago!
It's set up shop, pussy footing tactic. Almost worked for Mexico had they not been fucked by the ref but it's just boring as hell to watch!
The reason Argentina piss me off so much is the fact they have so much talent especially in the attacking sense yet they cant manage anything but one goal boring as fuck wins.

They were once again fucking dire going forward besides a few chances which they manage to screw up.

It really would turn an amazing World Cup to one of the worse if they lift the trophy on Sunday.
Solid defense = passing the ball between the same four players with almost zero intent to attack?
Argentina can't fucking score a goal to save they're lives! Hold up blah blah blah I will be impressed when it leads to them providing an end product and not just creating "chances".

I stand by what I said earlier it's not they're fault at all but they are the most un deserving finalist of my lifetime.

Any team who takes 118 minutes to beat the Swiss side they played do not deserve to win the cup.
320693d1363703423-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelsea-logo.jpg

Schedule