Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I dont get why saying that is a big controversy...

Buffon might very well be the best ever. But this season he has seen his level of play drop off quite a bit.

Perrin and Sirigu are either slightly behind him or playing at the same level. This isnt a slight on Buffon, and he will obviously remain Italy's starter, but that doesnt mean there arent others that are playing as well or even potentially better.

I guess it would have been crazy to indicate that Cannavaro maybe wasnt the best CB Italy had in 2010...

It is certainly not a problem suggesting current form. But what you are saying is incorrect. Buffon has proven his dependability this season as well. Forgot the qualifier against Bulgaria?

He is 1) Italy's best GK by form and talent, and 2) the leader of the side.. Ludicrous to suggest replacing him with Perin or Sirigu, both young and both with their share of howlers as well.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
please sack buffon Now I want to see pirlo tears again :lol:

Perin for buffon Jesus and I thought I hated jube players most

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the best italian GK by form is perin now. even stats suggest that and im not much of a stat freak. considering the CB line buffon has infront and the number of shots jube concedes i wouldn't be surprised if hes nowhere near the top 3. why look at facts thoe when ass fact hunts are much easier

not that i care much about italys nt but i hope for them bofone wont be the leader he was against bayern:lol:. looking forward for more pot shots from the kaiser then

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Buffons and casillas are pretty identical in their decline and how they have been infected with mediocrity lately. If buffon was in a real club he would have been benched a while back.

Having said that, he is definitely needed for italy. The defensive line in front of him is filled with hackers and choppers with peasant mentality. He is the only one who knows how to organize them. No other italian keeper can do it.

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the peasants are more reliant on how deep the midfield in front is IMO. theres only so much a keeper can do there, as soon as italis/jube midfield goes up higher those CBs get lost

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the best italian GK by form is perin now. even stats suggest that and im not much of a stat freak. considering the CB line buffon has infront and the number of shots jube concedes i wouldn't be surprised if hes nowhere near the top 3. why look at facts thoe when ass fact hunts are much easier

Actually, Buffon has the best save percentage(82.9%) in Serie A and is only topped by Neuer(85.1%) in the Top 4 leagues.
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/seri/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/bund/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/liga/player_leaders.asp?category=107

Perin has improved a lot since last season though and his 75.7% is very good for a Genoa GK.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
So Totti is open to return for the w-cup.

Totti Cassano Balo Insigne Toni Rossi .. Not bad, Not bad at all :o

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Totti? why not :D

better than Gilla or Osvaldo

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Totti? why not :D

better than Gilla or Osvaldo

Definitely.

Still like Gila though, while Osvaldo is just like Mario, and one is enough.

Reaction score
I'd love to see a starting 11 with Pirlo, Balotelli, Totti, and Cassano. The only issue is defensively it would be so challenged. You would need the rest of the team to work SO hard to make up for the lack of pace/defensive capabilities.
Maybe against Costa Rica? lol. 4-3-2-1

Balotelli
Totti - Cassano
Marchisio-De Rossi
Pirlo
Criscito-Chiellini-Paletta-De Sciglio

Defensively, a bit scary, but the creativity - friggin scary.

I don't envy Prandelli when it comes to choosing this team:
The midfield and defense is very easy, but the attack is very challenging selection this year, and a lot has to do with how the team is to play tactically. If we're going 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 3-5-2, it all results in very different attacking selection. I honestly also don't think we have the personnel for a 4-4-2 or derivation. We have very few pure midfielders who can play the flanks. The only one i really can think of is Candreva. You could push Marchisio wide or use Giaccherini, but many of the wingers are more suited for a 4-3-3 (Insigne, El Shaarawy, Giovinco, Cerci) or a 3-5-2 (ie: fullbacks).

Guess what? No Merda players at all...

Reaction score
Definitely.

Still like Gila though, while Osvaldo is just like Mario, and one is enough.

My 2nd #9 would be Pelle. He is a goal scoring machine, and maybe a worry is that he can't score consistently in Serie A but fact is he certainly can score on Costa Rican or English defending systems.

Its like Fred. Fred came out of nowhere in Brazil during confeds. A guy like Pelle who is used to scoring a goal a game could be extremely useful.

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i dont see a totti cassano and telli trident ever existing. work rate and defensive contribution would be nonexistent

immobile is on fire. both him and destro should leave osvald at home

Actually, Buffon has the best save percentage(82.9%) in Serie A and is only topped by Neuer(85.1%) in the Top 4 leagues.
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/seri/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/bund/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=107
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/liga/player_leaders.asp?category=107

a Perin has improved a lot since last season though and his 75.7% is very good for a Genoa GK.

i was talking more about ratings.

keeper save percentage is kinda useless without context dont you think? a team like jube lets far less shooting occasions to opponents. perin has to work alot harder and deal with harder to save shots. and maybe vice versa in some games

anyway i dont expet perin or anyone else to dethrone buffon for brasil. after that if he keeps up this form he should

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
i dont see a totti cassano and telli trident ever existing. work rate and defensive contribution would be nonexistent

immobile is on fire. both him and destro should leave osvald at home

add to that Pirlo.. and you got a recipe for disaster.

But Totti is a great option to have. would rather have him than Osvaldo or Gilardino etc.

Agreed on Immobile too.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I remember when people wouldn't hear sense when reading Abbiati's poor save percentage this season... despite him stopping a huge amount of save-able shots, and having to deal with so many shots from very close thanks to our defence.

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
Both Destro and Immobile scored in front of Prandelli

zxWzxJs.gif

Zm5T3z9.gif

u4P7ztt.gif

hFJH47U.gif

JtPNrTT.gif

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Which 23 players would you name for the WC if you were Prandelli? Personally, I'd like to see many young faces get called up.

3 GK: Buffon, Sirigu, Marchetti

7 DF: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Ogbonna, De Sciglio, Abate, Pasqual. (Astori)

8 MF: Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, Veratti, Motta, Florenzi, Candreva. (Giaccherini)

5 FW: Balotelli, Rossi, Destro, Immobile, Cerci. (El Sharawy)

--------------Buffon
--DES---Barzagli--Bonucci--Chiellini
----De Rossi---Pirlo----Motta----
----Cerci-----Balotelli---Florenzi---

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Which 23 players would you name for the WC if you were Prandelli? Personally, I'd like to see many young faces get called up.

7 DF: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Ogbonna, De Sciglio, Abate, Pasqual. (Astori)

8 MF: Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, Veratti, Motta, Florenzi, Candreva. (Giaccherini)

--------------Buffon

3 GK: Buffon, Perrin , Whatever

6 DF: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Palletta, De Sciglio, Maggio/Abate (whoever finished the season stronger)

8 MF: Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, Veratti, , Florenzi, Candreva, Jorginho

6 FW: Balotelli, Rossi, Totti , Immobile, Cerci, Insigne

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Maybe Totti can go and if choose between Rossi and El Sharawy depending on whether the former can heal in time and theater proves himself in the remaining matches left in the season.

Totti can be good because he gives you the option of playing 4312 and having 2 centre forwards. I don't think Italy should focus on playing with wingers the talent available focuses more on the central figures.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I'd love to see a starting 11 with Pirlo, Balotelli, Totti, and Cassano. The only issue is defensively it would be so challenged. You would need the rest of the team to work SO hard to make up for the lack of pace/defensive capabilities.
Maybe against Costa Rica? lol. 4-3-2-1
We'll fuck Italy over if they try that against us.

I find the Totti to WC campaign similar to Maldini to Euro 2004...they are flattered, they might feel the "hey i wanna go" (and they make vague commentaries), they're playing well enough to go, and everyone around them wants them to go, but when the moment arrives, they decline.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

--------------Buffon

When you mentioned young faces, i was quite surprised you didn't mention Perin, who has been brilliant this season.But it is tough, as himself, Sirigu and Marchetti are all talented goalkeepers.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I thought it would be better for him to play for the under twenty whatever team since there's no real point in him going and not playing he's a GK after all better gain experience by playing

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I thought it would be better for him to play for the under twenty whatever team since there's no real point in him going and not playing he's a GK after all better gain experience by playing

That actually might be a good idea. As i said in the pervious comment, Marchetti and Sirigu are fine understudies to Buffon aswell.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i was talking more about ratings.

keeper save percentage is kinda useless without context dont you think? a team like jube lets far less shooting occasions to opponents. perin has to work alot harder and deal with harder to save shots. and maybe vice versa in some games

anyway i dont expet perin or anyone else to dethrone buffon for brasil. after that if he keeps up this form he should

I wouldn't call it useless - they can be very useful if you know how to utilize them - and they do need to be contextualized, which is kind of what I did by adding that 75.7% is very good for a Genoa GK.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo

--------------Buffon

GK: Buffon, Sirigu, Perrin
DEF: Abate, Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, DeS, Criscito, Paletta
MID: De Rossi, Pirlo, Motta, Florenzi, Veratti, Candreva, Monty
FWD: Balotelli, Rossi, Cerci, Immobile, Insigne, Totti

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Wow thats a very strong and settled squad

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score

lol wtf do they know. this is just 1 persons opinion, not fact.

this person obviously thinks that romulo with 0 caps is assured of a place but maggio with 34 caps and abate with 18 caps aren't. as always italian media are more interested in causing controversy than reporting news.

Schedule