Jozic hails Croatia 'heroes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serbian Rossoneri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Saturday 8 June 2002
Croatia coach Mirko Jozic hailed his players as "heroes" after their remarkable comeback against Italy in Ibaraki.

Incredible recovery
Trailing 1-0 with 17 minutes remaining, Croatia did the unthinkable, equalising through Ivica Olic before Milan Rapaic scored the winner three minutes later. Having lost their opening 2002 FIFA World Cup Group G match 1-0 to Mexico, a defeat on Saturday would have seen Jozic's side almost-certainly eliminated. But Croatia proved to be a different proposition and showed magnificent character to secure a famous victory.
‘They were heroes’
The first thing I would like to point out, is the heart of my players," Jozic said. "I really think that they were heroes in this match. In the last 20 minutes we had three injured players and I simply didn't know what to do. We practically had nine men on the pitch against a really strong Italian side, so I really want to congratulate my players."
’A completely different team’
Asked to specify the differences between this performance and the one against Mexico, Jozic appeared as amazed as the journalist who had asked the question. "We saw a completely different team," he said. "Because it is inexplicable how my players suffered such a mental block against Mexico. We started at full strength and knew we had to play so-called 'die-hard' football against the tough Italians. I am very glad that my players played exactly the way I had asked them to."
New belief
Croatia shocked the football world four years ago when they finished third at France 98. However, they appeared to be on their way out of this year's competition at the first hurdle when Christian Vieri headed Italy in front after 55 minutes. Jozic immediately replaced Davor Vugrinec with Olic, and the NK Zagreb youngster's confidence and tireless running instilled a new belief in his team-mates.
’Our biggest strength’
Having scored the equaliser from close range, Olic continued to terrorise Italy's rearguard, before Rapaic settled matters with a deflected, looping effort that gave Gianluigi Buffon no chance. Despite Olic's undoubted impact and Rapaic's subsequent man-of-the-match award, Jozic refused to single any players out for special mention. "Usually I like to praise players," he said. "But today it would be a big mistake to only name one or two of the players. I think that the team played as a whole and that was our biggest strength today."
’I had to concentrate’
Defender Josip Simunic was certainly one of Jozic's heroes, as he marshalled Italy striker Vieri with authority and undying determination. "I was marking Vieri tonight, so I had to concentrate 100 per cent as he was one step quicker than me," Simunic said. "We had a bit of luck near the end but we deserved our victory and now we can look forward to the next match."
’We controlled the game’
Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni, who had said he would start with Filippo Inzaghi only to leave him on the bench for 79 minutes, was philosophical in defeat but believes his side did enough to earn a share of the spoils. "I think it was a good game with three goals, which could have been four," he said. "We controlled the game and I think we deserved at least a draw. I think that one of the two goals, or maybe both our goals that were not given, were OK."

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course they're heroes for the Croatians. Every team that wins something in the world cup suddently become heroes for their country. If they'll win more and more they will eventually become Gods. ;)

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
SR do you know what these threads with "Groups X&Y" mean!? it means you should talk about games over there! not making new threads or posting in"Players" forums!

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.