Denmark - England

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
fifaworldcup.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denmark’s dark horse destiny

When Denmark line up to face England Saturday, they will again assume the role of David against the Goliath that invented the game of football – England. But in the last 10 years, Denmark have posted results in major competitions comparable with England, if not better.
The Danes claimed the only title won by either side in the past decade at the UEFA European Championship 1992, when they surprised everyone. England came close on home soil in 1996, but were eventually eliminated on penalty kicks by eventual champions Germany. Each team was also sent home after the first round twice in the three tournaments since 1992.

Going back six more years to the 1986 FIFA World Cup™, each country has reached the quarter-finals once and the round of 16 once. However, England gain an edge having been to the semi-finals at Italy 90 as Denmark stayed home.

Both teams enter the second stage with a bit of history on their side. Whenever France and Denmark have faced each other in the first round of a major competition since 1984, the winner has always gone on to win the tournament. France won the last FIFA World Cup as well as European Championships in 1984 and 2000 after defeating Denmark, while the Danes topped France in the European Championship 1992 then went on to claim the title.

With France making an early exit, England can look back to the last time the holders were left out of the second round. Champions at Chile 62, Brazil managed only a victory over Bulgaria in the first round four years later. England became the 1966 FIFA World Cup champions. That year also marked the last time England defeated Argentina.

By winning Group A and holding a desperate French side scoreless in their final match, Denmark have certainly done their part to gain the tag of favourites. But given the results of this tournament’s first round, they may be content to remain underdogs against England.

shevagirl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I will be very happy if Denmark win because i hate very much England and Brasil.I'm really sorry if anyone here is from there but i don't like them.So if Denmark win,than that will be great:)))I will cheer for Denmark,anyway there are playing now 3 Milan players:))))One more reason to be for Denmark:)

Rex

Reaction score
It will be a tough match. England's David Beckham and Denmark's JD Tomasson will clash to get a place in 3rd round, particularly England 'succeded' to drop Argentina down home early form WC. Revenge is been paid, they says. In Denmark match, they have to crush them if they'd like to as I said, advance 3rd round. But I'm sure it's not easy as they think, Denmark has been showing top performances for instance to get France back home early. It will be interesting match, and I hope Denmark will have smooth way to 3rd round than that of England.

mrs sheva

Primavera
Reaction score
I wish Denmark win ;) , but i expect England :( . I hope Denmark can go through.

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
wow! i thought i'll be the only one to vote for denmark :)

seriously, i think that chances are 50/50. and with a little bit of luck, denmark can go through easily. well, i hope they'll go through.

let's see :)