History of the San Siro

Reaction score

I know the San Siro was built in 1926, as gift from the rich industrialist Pirlo Pirelli. But what I would really like to know is when did Internationazle move in and start playing at the San Siro? Didn't Inter have their own stadium before? And why haven't they moved out and build their own stadium?

Ground sharing is common in Italy, with AC & Inter sharing, along with Roma & Lazio, and Torino & Juve. But its very uncommon in other countries and especially in Ingleterra!

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Piero Pirelli was Milan's president when the San Siro was inagurated. Milan played there from 1926 till 1939. Of course..the 2nd world war started then and San Siro was handed over to the Milan town council after the war had ended in Europe. Thereafter..Internazionale became co-habitants of the Stadio San Siro and till this day both clubs still share the same ground.

I'm not sure where Milan played before San Siro was built..apparently it is a small stadium tt still exists in Milan. Inter also played elsewhere but i don't know where.

One thing tt concerns me though..San Siro always has pitch problems..especially in the winter months. There is constant need for pitch maintenance and re-turfing tt costs a lot. When i was there for the tour the tour guide mentioned something about the glass roof inhibiting sunlight..which means the grass only gets sufficient sunlight around midday. In winter it becomes even worse..why did they consider building the glass roof when they will have problems with the pitch??

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivaldo, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta
The pitch is always in a bad state - but its because there is game sometimes twice a week there let alone once a week which is garuanteed. Most other teams play there once a fortnight.

Oh yeh, how much does SanSiro hold. I thought it was around 88 900 or something. Anyone know exact capacity.

sheva7

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Oh yeh, how much does SanSiro hold. I thought it was around 88 900 or something. Anyone know exact capacity.

The capacity of the San Siro is 85777.

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah..could be cos of the number of matches played in San Siro..almost 1 every 3 or 4 days..other then tt..the in between is when the groundsmen work tirelessly to upkeep a decent playing surface. Still obvious tt the pitch isn't getting enough sunlight.

Schedule