Leonardo Thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Monday 23 November, 2009
Blog: Rosso-scary!

And some say Italian football is boring. Giancarlo Rinaldi invites the critics to watch Leonardo's Milan in action

Carlo Ancelotti has got it easy. While his new team Chelsea stroll past average opposition almost every week, his successor at Milan is having kittens. You can say what you like about Leonardo’s Rossonero regime, but definitely not that it is boring.

Sunday’s rollercoaster display came against in-form Cagliari and the result was in doubt from beginning to end. Ultimately, it took four goals from four different scorers to see off the battling islanders. No wonder the new man on the bench in the San Siro looks a little older every time we see him.

How Carletto must chuckle down at Stamford Bridge if he ever switches on the Serie A highlights. He can lord it over a League where there are teams tactically inept enough to concede nine goals in a single game. Poor Leonardo seems to find himself involved in a knife-edge thriller every week.

Doubts have to remain about the sustainability of this approach. Surely the wheels must eventually fall off the Milan challenge. However, a bit like one of those plate-spinning acts, it is good fun to watch – at least until it all comes crashing down.

Meanwhile, Inter brushed off Bologna on Saturday evening after a Marcelo Zalayeta strike had threatened to spoil their build up to Barcelona on Tuesday. The Nerazzurri remain far and away the most solid team in Italy. The only negative element was a red card for Douglas Maicon which might make them suffer while he is suspended.

Juve kept up their challenge by seeing off Udinese courtesy of Fabio Grosso but it was a workmanlike display. The Bianconeri were never troubled, to be sure, but they rarely produced much attacking flair either. It will not, one suspects, have had Inter quaking in their boots.

Resurgent Roma enjoyed the fruits of a Francesco Totti hat-trick as they saw off revelation side Bari. But Fiorentina were unable to defeat another surprise package – Parma – as they succumbed 3-2 in the Artemio Franchi. The result catapulted Francesco Guidolin’s men into Champions League contention.

At the bottom end of the table the most significant results were wins for Livorno and Atalanta over Genoa and Siena respectively. It allowed them to join Bologna and Lazio on 12 points after the latter played out the only game without goals in the top Division at Napoli.

A quick scan of the standings suggests there has rarely been a more balanced season in Serie A – at least if you clip Inter off the top. You can argue about the quality of play but not the openness of all the major issues, bar the Scudetto. And, you never know, a steady Juve and this madcap Milan might yet have something to say about that.

http://football-italia.net/blogs/gr64.html

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Leonardo has confidence

Leonardo praised Marco Borriello and believes the point against Marseille is valuable, as this group goes down to the wire.

Milan must now win away to FC Zurich to be certain of qualification. The Swiss side won 1-0 at San Siro in their last encounter, so could be a tricky customer.

Meanwhile, Marseille welcome Real Madrid to the Stade Velodrome and the Merengues aren't qualified yet either.

If Marseille fail to defeat Madrid, the Rossoneri will go through to the knockouts.

“It's true that maybe Marseille had clearer chances, but we went close too,” said Leo after the French side hit the woodwork twice in a 1-1 draw.

“We started well and scored immediately, then unfortunately conceded quickly and from then on it became a rather staid and studied encounter. That is very different to the kind of games we've been playing lately.

“Marseille played on Friday, so they had five days of rest compared to three for us and that should be considered when looking at their tempo.

“Obviously we wanted to seal it up tonight, but it still depends on us and we can go to Zurich for the victory. There is optimism.”

It is curious that the Rossoneri have failed to win a single home game in the Champions League this season.

“I liked the way we approached the game right from the start, then as time went on we had to do well to contain Marseille.

“I live in the moment. Of course these are very strong emotions and new discoveries, so I am very grateful to be in this very interesting job.”

Borriello opened the scoring just 10 minutes in with a splendid solo effort, as he skipped past Gabriel Heinze and nutmegged the goalkeeper.

“Borriello is doing very well and not just with the goal, as he holds the ball up and creates space for his teammates. He was extraordinary today,” smiled the Coach.

FaRa13

Kuq e Zi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Ballack, Pirlo, Gerrard, van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi
apart from the goal, borriello didnt play that well. He missed a couple of good opportunities..Leo is in love with this guy..And leo got a lifeline today in that they didnt score at the end. Our midfield was dead..flamini should have been brought on

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
Seriously I wish we had a manager with some balls.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
leonardos ball is huge as globe, but he is naive

dont be predictable like our old coach, carlo had a ninsurance policy but with four attackers we should change things in a while

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
good coach with good philosophy, but naive and timid. too affraid to adapt a defensive strategy when we're being dominated. too affraid to put in anybody besides the same starters over and over again. yes it is our best starting eleven, but when they're dirt-tired, you need to put somebody else in.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
He`s afraid to make changes because he probably thinks it will screw us,he has to build his self-confidence. Even if it makes us lose,he has to start making changes to try and make something happen when we play badly. If we lose,he should learn from it,but not let the press get to him,just fuck them off.

Anyway,he`s in a really tough position and he`s doing great in my opinion,he just needs to try and introduce other players too as they will all be needed sooner or later.

anilak

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And he doesn't have many options to make changes.

In the first 11 itself the 2-3 of em do not deserve thier spot. And replacements are even more horrible except the DM and GK positions. No backup for Pirlo, Seedorf, Pato or Dinho. No backup for Nesta and Silva. No fullbacks who are decent in starting 11, so forget backups. So overall what can Leo do. We are almost near qualifying and in the top 3 with this squad which itself is a miracle and so Leo deserves no blame. Blame on Berlu for not giving us the required players.

Billsyboy1986

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Van Basten, Ronaldo (R9)
And he doesn't have many options to make changes.

In the first 11 itself the 2-3 of em do not deserve thier spot. And replacements are even more horrible except the DM and GK positions. No backup for Pirlo, Seedorf, Pato or Dinho. No backup for Nesta and Silva. No fullbacks who are decent in starting 11, so forget backups. So overall what can Leo do. We are almost near qualifying and in the top 3 with this squad which itself is a miracle and so Leo deserves no blame. Blame on Berlu for not giving us the required players.

+10000.
I can't believe people are criticising Leo for subs, little decisions here and there.. etc. when we haven't lost in almost 2 months. The man's working miracles with this squad and we still get people complaining.. :conf:
Is dropping Ronaldinho not courage? Is his new formation not courage? He has a philosophy which is to clearly work with the players' confidence, both in maintaining quality performances AND getting used to the new 4-3-3. To do that he wants them to play A LOT. Then he will incorporate little changes and tweaks.. Give him a break he's done fantastically considering the size of the task. Not subbing I think (at this stage) can be a good thing.. It gives the first-team players consistency quicker, simply through more time playing together. When things get hectic, he'll start incorporating more players, but by then the club will have learnt the new style of play.. they've already made huge leaps in understanding each other on the pitch.
That's not to say that subbing isn't a good idea, but I'm simply defending Leo's position.. I'm sure he has his perfectly valid reasons.. besides "I'm a pussy, and need to grow a pair."..

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I think alot of the substitute issues will go away w/ adiyiah and beckham coming. Becks is a great right side player, and adiyiah is a forward w/ pace.

As of right now we have NO offensive subs to make other that bringing on a poacher... Di gennaro getting healthy, he could be a guy in midfield. I doubt his level, i know he's got the technical ability, but i wonder if he's anywhere near ready... But irregardless of that he is an attacking player

I mean you can say he should have took pirlo or seedorf off for flams but would that REALLY help us score??? It's unlikely. and we all know pirlo and seedorf can play poor games and pop up w/ a killer pass at end.

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
I think alot of the substitute issues will go away w/ adiyiah and beckham coming. Becks is a great right side player, and adiyiah is a forward w/ pace.

As of right now we have NO offensive subs to make other that bringing on a poacher... Di gennaro getting healthy, he could be a guy in midfield. I doubt his level, i know he's got the technical ability, but i wonder if he's anywhere near ready... But irregardless of that he is an attacking player

I mean you can say he should have took pirlo or seedorf off for flams but would that REALLY help us score??? It's unlikely. and we all know pirlo and seedorf can play poor games and pop up w/ a killer pass at end.

+1000 you got it right, Pirlo and seedorf has that kind of thing that sometimes important though they play like shit, but I do think Leo should start considering rotation and I agree Before Jan, Flam and DI G should be the people in the midfield that Leo should consider bringing on to rotate our squad

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Should not over-analyze situations and make a fucking substitution.

anilak

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Flams can rotate with Ambro.

When Becks come, he can rotate with Pirlo. Becks can also play as winger.

I hope we sign that Domininguez guy for free as he is 28, was the Russian Champions best player and was good in all CL games. He can rotate with Seedorf as AMF and can also play as a winger/second striker. I hope master of free agents, Galliani does the trick and sign him.

I like the Adiyiah signing. But I don't know if he will be able to do somethin significant now as he needs time to jump from norwegian league to Serie A. And right now there are a few questions on his age in the media and the only reason I like him is cos is 20 and U-20 WC best player and cos of his pottential. If he is much older, then we r cheated of a fine EU spot.

Rino looks to be on his way out and if we can use that cash to get a fullback,backup CB then our squad's gonna be pretty deep with quality players to rotate in key positions.

Becks, Adiyiah, Domininguez, fullback/backup CB required win winter.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Get your front men to work harder in balancing the team in the defensive phase. If its impossible, think about re-employing a third central midfielder.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

But you likely to concede as well resulting in a lost. Leo is playing a dangerous game. The system is showing flaws lately especially in the second half. He needs to start rotating more and learn when to make a sub. I could see it eventually costing him especially in the big games or against quality opposition.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

Seedorf was clearly off air, Pirlo too, but say, maybe, moving Pirlo in Seedorf's spot (up), putting Flams to do the DM job (with him sometimes going up to make some long distance shots, and giving our midfield some energy) that Pirlo SHOULD NOT do (I hate to see how we are wasting Pirlo doing defensive work)...maybe we wouldn't have scored, but at least I can see us suffering less than how we did, and it's not like we scored more with Pirlo or Seedorf on either.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Exactly. Essentially, what was Pirlo doing for 90 minutes? Trying his best to defend. Might as well bring in Flamini, fresh pair of legs, better defender (more energetic, quicker, etc) to get us the ball + pass it onto to the creative geniuses who are pretty much ineffective without the ball to their feet.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
But you likely to concede as well resulting in a lost. Leo is playing a dangerous game. The system is showing flaws lately especially in the second half. He needs to start rotating more and learn when to make a sub. I could see it eventually costing him especially in the big games or against quality opposition.

Seedorf was clearly off air, Pirlo too, but say, maybe, moving Pirlo in Seedorf's spot (up), putting Flams to do the DM job (with him sometimes going up to make some long distance shots, and giving our midfield some energy) that Pirlo SHOULD NOT do (I hate to see how we are wasting Pirlo doing defensive work)...maybe we wouldn't have scored, but at least I can see us suffering less than how we did, and it's not like we scored more with Pirlo or Seedorf on either.

Ultimtely we need another creative CM, they r already showing fatigue... if we had 1 more we could keep everyone playing 1 game per wee and fresh. In january beckham + di gennaro recovering will atleast give us Creative midfield bodies...

but nothing new stated here...

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Clear choices, but hard

Source --> http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=112595
28/11/2009 15.15.00

'I hope they are all angry with me and they want to play. After I choose '. So Mr. Leonardo ahead of Catania. The identity of the game is now clear, the consequences are choices, not sack.

MILAN - Here are the statements expressed this afternoon by Mr. Leonardo, at a press conference on the eve of a Milanello:

On the match against Catania: 'We must first understand how they play, do not know if it happens even with Catania, but many other teams have moved to play against us. I honestly do not know how they will have on the field. However this is a team quick, aggressive, with dynamic players, who are pressing. It 'a team against whom we should pay close attention: its ranking does not reflect very much what is the way to play the Catania'.

The statement of GATTUSO and the need 'to make choices:' I always speak with Gattuso: yesterday, today, in the past, always. Between us we try to always be very clear about all our feelings. The first thing is that I hope will heal soon, the only way to make more speeches. The key is to feel good. Before we think of his recovery, then the matches. I request availability and maximum absolute condition. Gattuso is slowly growing in his physical work but still feels a bit 'of pain and this thing stops him. He has been here for 11 years, it is true, and it is normal to have moments of reflection, I got them myself as a player. Just speak clearly as we do. Gattuso was not because the owner asked some really deserved. If all are doing well I have to choose: all understand the situation and respect the choices. These are not failures, but of choices. The same thing happened to happened to Gattuso Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Seedorf etc.. The most important criticism that was made in Milan at the beginning was that the team had no identity, that there was too much turnover. Now that the identity is said that there is no turnover, and is also critical situation. The truth is that everyone has played, both before and at this time. I am comfortable in my choices, then it is natural that a major player complained, but I think in all there is a consciousness of what we are doing. I hope to have all fit. Therefore, Gattuso, I say: 'My request is returned as soon as possible and you will see that then things will be different'. Gattuso said what I knew before. But I think that there's something more important, that it will return, because it is the only thing that counts: games. Then, if what he has in his head as you say you want to go, I will try to convince him not to do so because, as he said, it's Rino Gattuso. However everything will be decided in a very quiet area. I was not surprised his statement, coming just when his accident, because I know him well: the same fighting spirit that makes him Gattuso is what makes him speak in difficult times'.

On Inzaghi, Huntelaar AND COMPETITION IN ATTACK: Today we play with a striker up front alone and then there's a competition a bit 'wider. But Huntelaar in this form there is very good, indeed, may encourage its characteristics. Huntelaar and Inzaghi know that part of our project, at any time. Klaas is recovering very well, Goofy is well and Borriello is very well: they are very difficult choices. This is the most difficult part of the job of coach: how are the players and make choices'.

THE ALLEGED LACK OF REASONS TO PLAY LITTLE ABOUT: 'We started from a situation where we had to find the players and make them grow. Today Abate, Antonini and Kaladze are stronger than when the season began. Pippo today is better than last year. Unfortunately the competition today is stronger, but this is something that pleases a coach. I hope they are all angry with me and that they should be. After I choose. I smell a desire to play, not the bad temper. Then it is natural to complain about outside, I did it myself as a player. The anger of those who does not play is very similar '.

LOSS ON CHANGES IN MARSEILLES-MILAN: 'It is true that I never do change, it happened in almost every game having made three changes except the last, because in the field there was a balance. We suffered very clear chances, we had our balance. When you suffer, what you do, defend or attack more more? I do not know, things are very subjective. Flamini was not 100%. Could change for Pippo Borriello but at that moment we could not for the game that we were expressing. Other changes have taken off balance and everything would have been more complicated. Change for change's no use, keep a balance, revolutions do not need. I believe that the players understand this and I also believe that there are still many games, so we necessarily use all '.

The absence of Pirlo AND FORM: 'Pirlo is an important reference point for how we play now, but I also think that the way we play now has entered a bit' in all, so there will be a problem finding a 'alternative. When changing the interpreters also change the features but the idea is to maintain our way of playing. We have already absorbed the system, do not think there will be no problem. One day play with Gattuso-Ambrosini (or Flamini) and perhaps later instead of Pirlo Seedorf? Not start but has already happened. You can do many things, we have not exhausted the possibilities, which will be used when they become necessary '.

A Massimo Oddo upon option: 'We can play with Abate in that role, but there are other solutions. He and Zambrotta can play either right or left. But I believe that tomorrow we will not cross, but use the automatic solution '.

:DAccident: 'Bonera improves, has already done two workouts with the team. We will see next week if you do play with the spring or at least into something like a game. Jankulovski is also included in this program of gradual approach to the game '.

On Ronaldinho: 'He found his way to play, now I ask him to keep it'.

ON PATO: 'It happens to everyone to be less effective in a game. I have no concern '.

ON ADYIAH: 'It is a fast player, good on short. Must grow, must adapt to a new football and slowly it must fit into the team. It 'an investment for the future'.
:D (He will not join the team in Winter)

ON BECKHAM: 'From December 28 will be with us. I've spoken the day before the final MLS. He is calm and happy to be back'.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Some players in the squad Leonardo does not totally trust & this is with good reason.

He sees Borriello as being afar better overall player than Pippo & Huntelaar for example & is reluctant to even bring them on for Borriello.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
He called Inzagi Goofy LOL :)

Pippo is Goofy in Italian. Also Goofy was Super-Goofy in some illustrations.
Super-Goofy.jpg

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Pippo is Goofy in Italian. Also Goofy was Super-Goofy in some illustrations.
Super-Goofy.jpg

Auto translation at it's worst. :tongue:

It actually goes well with his play style and everything.

LOL,I read it in Italian one but never realize the "Goofy one" i was correcting some BS from auto translating and I miss that point totally then after I read it several time "In English this time :rolleyes: I thought it is The new Nickname for Pippo by Leo rather than going to the real meaning:uzikill:", my bad :spank:

Next time I have to read it again in Italian Language rather than English one.

Apologizes to everyone in the forum.

Sidd

&#2360;&#2367;&#2342;&#2381;&#2343;&#2352;&#2381;&
Reaction score
Leonardo: 'It's beyond reason!'
Sunday 29 November, 2009
Leonardo feels Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's breakthrough was “beyond tactics and beyond reason” on an emotional night.

“This was so wonderful. There are some things that go beyond reason and are about emotions. There is so much behind this match that makes me happy,” he smiled after the stoppage-time brace to secure a 2-0 win in Catania.

“The points are also important, but I above all am enjoying what happened within the squad and the players tonight. It was wonderful.

“With everything Klaas has gone through, he's new here, doesn't speak the language, had a nightmare start, then to see what happens tonight.

“You all saw what happened on the field, how they celebrated with him. It's the kind of night that makes it worth it to be a Coach.

“There is a constant search to get every player in the right frame of mind to give his best. The team has been together for a long time and their reciprocal admiration emerges when things go well.

“You can talk about tactics as much as you like, but tonight's victory was borne from something more.”

Huntelaar came off the bench for the closing stages, after Pippo Inzaghi had already come on, and the two combined twice for the winning goals.

“Catania did well to mark us, in some cases man-marking, and knew how to close us down. I worked together with Gianluca Atzori in the Coaching class and that worried me!

“There were 25 minutes left and I was convinced we could do it. I asked the lads on the bench and they all said go for it.

“I asked Inzaghi to unleash Hell and he did! In fact, he nearly scored with his first touch and that shake-up was what we needed.”

Now Milan are in second place, trailing Inter by seven points, and right back in the Scudetto race.

“They are two different teams. Inter have talent and organisation, but are also extremely physical and can score in many different ways,” explained Leonardo.

“We need everyone to be in sync for it to work and recently that has been happening. In Serie A you need both elements and right now Inter are in front because they have both consistently.”

Gennaro Gattuso has threatened to walk away in January if he does not receive more playing time, but Leo is not panicking.

“We all know Gattuso and it's natural for him to be this honest, even blunt. He is very important for us and the main thing now is to recover.

“He is Gattuso, he belongs here and once he is fit again he can be a key figure, making my job more difficult to make decisions.”footballitalia
Whenever I read Leo's comments, I find it hard to believe theyre coming from a coach. He speaks like 1 of the players out there on the field. U can feel he's really close to each and every player out there. Thats a real +1 point for us now. Besides it expresses humility something Mourinho hasnt a clue about.

fengxiaoj

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pirlo, Nesta, Zidane, etc.
Whenever I read Leo's comments, I find it hard to believe theyre coming from a coach. He speaks like 1 of the players out there on the field. U can feel he's really close to each and every player out there. Thats a real +1 point for us now. Besides it expresses humility something Mourinho hasnt a clue about.

I like how Leo is humble and can admit that his team didn't play well to the press. However I also notice that he loves speaking about some players much more than others. He talks about the Brazilians a lot, mentioning r80 in his comments even when he wasn't performing. He spoke about Nesta and that was great, but he doesn't really talk about our midfield players. Why is that?

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
I really liked what he did against Catania, getting so many attackers on the pitch, that really was a risk, but the right thing.
But I loved that he was all going for the victory and imo made the right subs.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
I really liked what he did against Catania, getting so many attackers on the pitch, that really was a risk, but the right thing.
But I loved that he was all going for the victory and imo made the right subs.

yea, we need decisions like that, if we dont go for all three points we wont catch inter, if we had of lost, people would be killing him right now, good thing hunt came through and everyones very happy with leo and 2nd place.

Schedule