Dil dil

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan players espacially Maldini-Inzaghi
Maldini slams 20-team Serie A
19.8 || scharatz || $source

Source: Football Italia

Paolo Maldini claims the expanded Serie A will only harm Italian clubs’ chances in Europe this season and looks at the Scudetto race.

“This is a very long Championship, unlike most other European Leagues,” noted the veteran. “This is the opposite of what clubs team, as they should be preparing for the final stages of the Cup competitions with a good level of fitness. The ideal would be to have 16 squads.”

This is the first year since 1951-52 that the Italian top flight will include 20 teams, adding two more promotions from Serie B.

Milan are certainly the hot favourites to retain their title, but Maldini refuses to rule out the stuttering Bianconeri.

“The head to head clashes will be decisive, even if nowadays the group of Scudetto contenders has been reduced to just three. It used to be six, although I think that Roma could break in to the battle if their new buys gel.”

“However,” added Maldini, “I believe we’ll fight it out with Inter and Juventus. These are two very strong sides and we shouldn’t be fooled by their pre-season form. All too often teams have a slow start only to finish the season on a sprint.”

The Rossoneri have made few real signings, but they are important ones in the form of Hernan Crespo, Jaap Stam and Vikash Dhorasoo. The Dutchman’s arrival could force a tactical switch with Maldini’s possible return to a left-back role.

“I am at Carlo Ancelotti’s disposal,” assured the versatile defender. “In the last few years I have become accustomed to a central position and I do prefer that to a left-back, but I haven’t forgotten what it was like to be out wide. It is only right that we test out various alternatives because we have a squad of great defenders here.”

Schedule