The midfield Matri :proud:

giphy.gif

Give the guy a chance Leaf.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Don't know why but Berto is my least favorite Milan player this year. I think it has something to do with his price tag...and the fact that he's been absolute rubbish.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
He's not gonna live up to the 20m price tag, we overpaid him, get over it already

but the Bertolacci from last year would be usefull in our squad right now

2nd half was better, but still not good enough

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah he should really be tried as AM. Defensively he doesn't offer much so not even remotely the type of mid milan needs.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
Sell...oh wait, no one is dumb enough to pay 10M for him.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Are people really expecting 20M-player like performances? I?mean Its clear that we did?t pay 20M for his performance niveau.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Had a strong 2nd half. And I'm reconsidering my opinion that he isn't suited to trequartista. Seemed better there.

Maybe we should move Bonaventura back and Berto forward.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
bertylfodder

Benz_1803

classic 1994
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan legendary
Had a strong 2nd half. And I'm reconsidering my opinion that he isn't suited to trequartista. Seemed better there.

Maybe we should move Bonaventura back and Berto forward.
Remind me of sapponara....zero defensive, quite good technically and have an eye of goal AM type.

But i prefer right foot saponara>left foot berto.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He can't play midfield in games like the last one. Not scrappy matches with lots of fouls. If we are playing a game where we know the ball will be on the ground a lot, and technique will decide the game, he can still play cm. If not, he should play higher like necro said, where at least his quickness can be useful. It's the same as Jack. People said he couldn't play as a cm, but when kucka came in and he didn't have to play as physical, he was great, even from a deeper position.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
To further exemplify what I just said, when Jack was playing LCM and having good games he had kucka being the mobile tackler and even Honda putting in a decent shift defensively. Berto has never had that, he had Jack who was playing close to the attackers and de Jong who isn't mobile enough for rcm. It's not that berto is terrible at defense, it's just that he will be exposed if the other mids aren't stronger than him. He won't hurt our midfield if there are players to give him freedom.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
He's a natural regista...play him there FFS.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
I never understood why we bought him. Not only was he about 10m overpriced, he's also not the type of midfielder we need at all.

We will never be able to play with Bonaventura and Bertolacci at the same time, regardless of formation. It's not like he could take Montolivo or Kucka's spot either because he's not a playmaker and he can't defend.

My most hated deal of the summer. G only bought him because he promised to buy Destro but didn't (look at him now btw, stinkin' up Bologna).

People who trust G are gullible babies.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yes...do you? He played there many times for Genoa and excelled.

He has taken on all kinds of midfield roles for Genoa. But is he a natural as anchor/single pivot? No.

Could be a better make shift solution than De Jong though.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Bertolacci has zero regista characteristics.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
He has taken on all kinds of midfield roles for Genoa. But is he a natural as anchor/single pivot? No.

Could be a better make shift solution than De Jong though.

He's more of a natural regista than b2b/AM that's for sure. He's also far more creative than your darling Monty.

I'd play him in front of the defense flanked by Monty/Jose Mauri...

Mauri-Bertolacci-Montolivo

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Berto so far is average regardless of the position.
But an AM seems like his best position.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lol have you ever watched Bertolacci play for Genoa? He's got all the tools required to play regista. He's got very good vision and long range passing and decent defensive skills. He's ambidextrous and can put the ball wherever he wants when he's got time.

Even Luigi "The Italian Jimmy Hill" Delneri agrees...

https://translate.google.com/transl...lo-potrebbe-diventare-un-piccolo-pirlo-183066

He's more of a natural regista than b2b/AM that's for sure. He's also far more creative than your darling Monty.

I'd play him in front of the defense flanked by Monty/Jose Mauri...

Mauri-Bertolacci-Montolivo

A regista needs composure, ability to set the tempo and passing range more than anything else. Berto seems more suited to quick bursts and quick, short passes. I'm not getting regista vibes at all.

Definitely an AM. So far seems more suited to trequartista than CM.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
A regista needs composure, ability to set the tempo and passing range more than anything else. Berto seems more suited to quick bursts and quick, short passes. I'm not getting regista vibes at all.
Definitely an AM. So far seems more suited to trequartista than CM.

That's because he hasn't played that position for us yet. If you'd watched him last season you'd realise he has all the qualities mentioned above. Btw playing regista isn't just about long range passing. Short, quick, one touch passes are equally crucial to building up play. Especially against teams who press.

Berto doesn't have the dribbling ability to be an effective AM.

Schedule