Riccardo Montolivo Thread

How do you like Montolivo?

• Total voters

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Boban, Baresi, Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Seedorf...
Could we yet see another target slip through our grasp...

Bayern join Montolivo queue
Bayern Munich are ready to make a bid to Fiorentina for Riccardo Montolivo, reports are suggesting.

Montolivo is available for transfer after refusing to extend his contract which currently expires in June 2012.

Milan were thought to be in pole position for the Italian international, but it seems that the Bundesliga outfit may now table an offer.

The Viola, who could lose the player on a free transfer next summer, want around €10m for the ex-Atalanta player.

The World Cup midfielder, who has been stripped of the club captaincy, was born in 1985 to an Italian father and a German mother.

Reports yesterday claimed that the Viola were keen to make a decision on Montolivo’s future by the end of this week.

:fp:

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Could we yet see another target slip through our grasp...

Bayern join Montolivo queue
Bayern Munich are ready to make a bid to Fiorentina for Riccardo Montolivo, reports are suggesting.

Montolivo is available for transfer after refusing to extend his contract which currently expires in June 2012.

Milan were thought to be in pole position for the Italian international, but it seems that the Bundesliga outfit may now table an offer.

The Viola, who could lose the player on a free transfer next summer, want around €10m for the ex-Atalanta player.

The World Cup midfielder, who has been stripped of the club captaincy, was born in 1985 to an Italian father and a German mother.

Reports yesterday claimed that the Viola were keen to make a decision on Montolivo’s future by the end of this week.

:fp:

Replacement for Schweinsteiger? :D

Benz_1803

classic 1994
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan legendary
Sure

Needing him to be ineligible for the CL was a pre-requisite I guess

yea no need schweini (for now) if he ineligible, i'd take monty instead.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Haha, what a bitch. Schweini played CL qualifier yesterday, and now Bayern are trying to go for Montolivo. Milan, the fuck are you doing? We should have had Montolivo shipped in a long time ago. We are gambling and losing by stalling this Summer. :head:

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It is just paper talk, and we and well as any should know its not a given, but Bayern were interested in him earlier in the market, and unlike us, when a team like Bayern voices an interest its a lot more concrete than when Milan say something!!!

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Seems like a Bayern move, they missed out on Vidal [one of the actual players that Heykness asked for] and so to compensate Monto would be perfect. He speaks German as well if IIRC [read this somewhere, cant rem where]

Auf wiedersehen Montolivo?

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
It is just paper talk, and we and well as any should know its not a given, but Bayern were interested in him earlier in the market, and unlike us, when a team like Bayern voices an interest its a lot more concrete than when Milan say something!!!

Point being Milan is playing with fire still not having signed Montolivo or a different midfielder.

Seems like a Bayern move, they missed out on Vidal [one of the actual players that Heykness asked for] and so to compensate Monto would be perfect. He speaks German as well if IIRC [read this somewhere, cant rem where]

He speaks German, just like his German mother.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score

Yea he speaks German (his mom is German)

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Btw, Fio has given him a 2 to 3 day ultimatum yesterday, so by the weekend there should be more clarity regarding his future.

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bye bye Monty :cry:

Ped, I fully agree about us playing with fire, I have been one of the most heated when saying Milan needed to act quicker, this waiting till August 31st is embarrassing and not beneficial in any other way than financially... A player like Monty should have been bought as soon as Cesc was off the market, the Bastian chat was frankly as daft as the Cesc chat!

8 million would have secured Monty, addressed our LCM issue, then we could wait till August 31st and look for a bargain!!!

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I dont really get what is our angle here. Are we really holding out till august just to save those pathetic 3 million and risking loosing him or are the smaller italian clubs fed up with gallianis begging (excluding preciozi)..........

Swein wont come, milan was never interested in fab. Both monto and aqua are the only realistic targets for the mezzala remaining, both are having troubles with their club and are already going for bargain prices/less than whet they are worth.

If wed get at least one of them our midfield line of 3 would be solved (well, not the best possible outcome but IMO id see nobody in the milan camp complaining) and the only thing there would be left would be the AM position or AKA kaka or ganso in jan.

Prioritizing to save a couple of mil over the risk of loosing him screams no ambition whatsoever.

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I dont really get what is our angle here. Are we really holding out till august just to save those pathetic 3 million and risking loosing him or are the smaller italian clubs fed up with gallianis begging (excluding preciozi)..........

Swein wont come, milan was never interested in fab. Both monto and aqua are the only realistic targets for the mezzala remaining, both are having troubles with their club and are already going for bargain prices/less than whet they are worth.

If wed get at least one of them our midfield line of 3 would be solved (well, not the best possible outcome but IMO id see nobody in the milan camp complaining) and the only thing there would be left would be the AM position or AKA kaka or ganso in jan.

Prioritizing to save a couple of mil over the risk of loosing him screams no ambition whatsoever.

1ApplauseCard.gif

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi

your feeling is normal but be sure Galliani knows his business. Would he even think about taking this kind of risk ? Hell no off course. If a club choose and manage to stick to this strategy it is simply because the club already have a spoken agreement with the player-target.

Negociation is most of the time ( I assume ) a "fight " bewteen : player+new club vs old club where the player's will is the n°1 factor. provided you have the latter, the rest is often "details"

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I'm REALLY afraid about this. Aquilani and Montolivo are two of our last good options in the market. Aquilani thing seems to have cooled down, and now Bayern may be in for Montolivo...

We can't afford to end the market without a good midfielder, at least one.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

not you too.

3 million euros is a lot of money.

Besides, Galliani's dealt with della valle enough to know how it works. Perhaps he backed off a bit cause fiorentina wanted to renew him.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
not you too.

3 million euros is a lot of money.

Besides, Galliani's dealt with della valle enough to know how it works. Perhaps he backed off a bit cause fiorentina wanted to renew him.

Nope, renewal option has flopped. They have given him 3 days to find a club or he stays and plays out his contract, in other words, he is free to discuss pre contracts in January. Fiorentina are standing firm on their knockdown price of 10m.

Galliani is playing the waiting game, in the next few days we should get more clarity of his intentions because the Aquilani deal seems more complex at the moment.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
Looks like this deal this really heating up, but I can agree that 3 million isnt nothing.

I would like to think Monty would choose us over Bayern if it really came down to it, so hopefully this will work to our advantage.

Our there any reports on what we have offered?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Nope, renewal option has flopped. They have given him 3 days to find a club or he stays and plays out his contract, in other words, he is free to discuss pre contracts in January. Fiorentina are standing firm on their knockdown price of 10m.

Galliani is playing the waiting game, in the next few days we should get more clarity of his intentions because the Aquilani deal seems more complex at the moment.

misunderstood my point. Galliani knows he can continue to drive the fee down. So why not wait?

The idea 'it's just 3 million' and not a lot is stupid. Every euro counts, so when a bigger purchase is needed, there are funds available

fiscal responsibility, FTW!

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
The issue that I have with everything is the devaluation of intrinsic costs. Recognize that fiscally, there are two costs: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic are perpetuated by the external forces, such as market conditions, socioeconomic conditions, and even personal conditions. However, the blatant disregard for the OTHER costs, the lack of intrinsic valuation of the franchise is what I find the most troublesome.

€3 M, while not chump change, is also not the end of the world. And if the difference is truly €3 M, then that is really closer to €1.5 M, which really is nothing. All of that is made up on the back-end. It is the failure to put forth the initial outlay that I find the most disturbing possibility and the one that worries me about Milan's long term fiscal position.

If Milan is truly this cash poor, then we have hit a wall, and need to find a new revenue stream. Over the past several seasons, the spending has rapidly declined, as his the income. That's a business problem, and one that needs to be rectified.

I'm not going to say in B&G we trust, because B is presiding over a country that is insanely cash poor, falling down a perpetual hole, and looks to have no real plan to get it out. Because one was a good businessman does not ensure that one STAYS a good businessman. I'm not patronizing him, but the worry signs are flashing green and yellow.

Yes, this is a business post in a Montolivo thread, but it is necessary to say.

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
misunderstood my point. Galliani knows he can continue to drive the fee down. So why not wait?

The idea 'it's just 3 million' and not a lot is stupid. Every euro counts, so when a bigger purchase is needed, there are funds available

fiscal responsibility, FTW!

Sorry i disagree 3million is peanuts in the billion dollar business of football, the price of a prospect nothing more.

Haggling like this is cheap.:fp:

I dont mind cheap buys, but haggling for a cheap buy is pityful.

why dont just ask for the players for free if thats the case.

Last edited:

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Sorry i disagree 3million is peanuts in the billion dollar business of football, the price of a prospect nothing more.

kohls-20-off-june-2011-300x231.jpg

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score

Exactly!

soon we're going to need to coupons and buy one get one free promotionals.

Iam not askin for 30-40mill purchase

but what is goin on is no frills to say the least

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

yeah. It's your money? You ever ran a business of any size? You understand concepts of overhead, deferred payment, debt, how you can run a profit on paper and still have negative in the bank?

Milan are not out of debt, and while some sponsorships are promising they still haven't been paid.

Galliani isn't overpaying a penny when he doesn't have to.

The money doesn't exist without silvio giving his personal checks

So no I don't give a shit, management knows what we need. I won't judge until sept 1. Has anyone stolen Montolivo/Aquilani etc.?

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
put it this way, is 3 million the difference between a decent LCM that can help the team as well as help bring success which will in turn lead to money being made... No Monty, no 3 million spent, no decent LCM = unhappy supporters, unhappy supporters = less money, etc etc

Surely the positives outweigh the negatives when talking about what the 3 million represents?

We could go for a cheaper alternative, or simply not spend and save the 3 million, but surely that will in the long term possibly lose us money in revenue from gates, merchandise etc etc if fans dissaprove?

3 million represents so much more than a number!!!

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
put it this way, is 3 million the difference between a decent LCM that can help the team as well as help bring success which will in turn lead to money being made... No Monty, no 3 million spent, no decent LCM = unhappy supporters, unhappy supporters = less money, etc etc

Surely the positives outweigh the negatives when talking about what the 3 million represents?

We could go for a cheaper alternative, or simply not spend and save the 3 million, but surely that will in the long term possibly lose us money in revenue from gates, merchandise etc etc if fans dissaprove?

3 million represents so much more than a number!!!

Still stupid argument.

who cares unless the player comes by sept 1. Seasons long, coming now as opposed to end of window makes little difference.

Milan can't spend frivelously and i garentee you fiorentina would reject any bid under 15 mil, 2 weeks ago. But end of window they'll deal

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
If he do come then Milan played good but if we missed on him coz of couple of mil then we proved we are pathetic.
So lets wait.

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Still stupid argument.

who cares unless the player comes by sept 1. Seasons long, coming now as opposed to end of window makes little difference.

Milan can't spend frivelously and i garentee you fiorentina would reject any bid under 15 mil, 2 weeks ago. But end of window they'll deal

Ok, Bayern offer 10 million tomorrow, Fio accept, if we dont match that offer, then dont get a LCM, what is the real cost of that 3 million for the season ahead?

People understand what we're trying to do, yes it makes business sense, but is it a risk worth taking if it doesn't work? If we go into the new season with yet still no new actual midfielders, similar to last year, I for one will question WTF our management see as our weaknesses :fp:

Monty for 10 million is very good business already, if we dont get him who do we go for, another LCM that either a lot cheaper and shiter, or another LCM thats double the price yet not double the standard... Getting Taiwo on a free when people were screaming for Criscito and Coentrao made sense because neither were worth 20 million when taking into consideration how much better they were to Taiwo for nothing.

At this rate we'll end up with Kaka and Balo coming in and look forward to long ball football all season as we play 4 - 1 - 5 :proud:

Last edited: